The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)

The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club #9)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  2,670 ratings  ·  65 reviews
The members of the Baby-sitters Club split their time between babysitting and investigating the spooky noises behind Dawn's bedroom wall.
Published September 28th 1988 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost at Dawn's House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost at Dawn's House

Ciara
this was one of my faves when i was a kid. i was so jealous of people who lived in new england because their houses were wicked old & maybe had secret passages! then i moved to new england (when i was 22) &...yeah, a lot of the houses are pre-fab 60s era suburban knock-offs completely devoid of secret passages. bummer.

i also loved this book because it was so atmospheric, with all the storms & dawn constantly reading ghost stories & scaring the crap out of herself. when i was a ki...more
Robin
Man, what a disappointing re-read this was! The Ghost at Dawn's House was my favorite BSC book when I was a kid. This time around I was like, "whuuuuut?"

For one thing, the cover still irritates the shit out of me. It always has. The staircase goes up instead of down. The lights are on behind Dawn and Jeff, even though they discovered the hidden passage during a power outage. It's sparkling clean, instead of being all musty and dusty and creepy. There's a friggin' eighties-looking safety baniste...more
Reese
This is a pretty good book. I like how the secret passage starts in the barn and ends right in Dawns room. Dawn gets really scared when she finds out that different things are going in and out of the passage but what she doesn't know is that it's just Nicky Pike. Nicky found the passage before Dawn and he was using it as a hiding place. This is a really mysterious book.
Katie
This was one of my favorite Babysitters Club books when I was younger, so when I found it at Goodwill for 30 cents I was super excited. I remember reading these in 2nd grade and thinking that the girls seemed so old and sophisticated. Now I can really tell that they're only 13!
Julie Decker
Dawn and her brother find a secret passageway in their house! It's super fun to explore, but at the same time, it starts to be awfully creepy when evidence of occupancy begins to turn up. Who's in their passage? Is it a ghost? Luckily Dawn, the ghost stories expert, is on the case!

Overall, this story as a mystery fell flat for me because the "explanations" after the fact didn't add up. They were all stretched unbelievably to explain the weird noises and mysterious items left in the passage, and...more
GraceWastheAnswer
I'd give it 4.5*.

It was very creepy. It actually had a good plot! Dawn is angry with her sister. This one was alot more interesting than many of the other BSC books. This is one of those rereads.
The names Su..(:
May 02, 2009 The names Su..(: rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: GIRLS!
Recommended to The names Su..(: by: Virginia
REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, good!!! Kind of creepy, though! It creeped me out so much, I wasn't allowed to ever read a mystery again! But hey, I had just turned nine! I was little!
Lucie Jones
This was one of my favourite books in the series as a child. Reading it now it is still enjoyable. Dawn was always my favourite of all the baby sitters.
Anna
I'll have to say, this one is quite interesting in its own little way. Never guessed who the so-called ghost was!
Rylee
This book is a very scary one, but I would definitely like to have a secret passage way in my bed room!
Lisa
My all time favourite. It has Dawn and a haunted secret passage. What else could it possibly need?
Jureshka Naidoo
It was a good story some parts make you have a queer feeling, like someone was watching you.
Emily V
Okay.... i read this book in 1 day......literally!!! It is so good! The whole series is GREAT!!!!
Amie
I remember that this was one of my all time favorites. I found it so spooky!
Maddie 3
good book that i loved when i was in 3rd grade :) still love it
Karina Halle
Yes! This one was one of my favs. Creeptastic!
Rachel
Fun to reread & tweet!
Temi
i heart that book
Individualfrog
A weirdly unresolved adventure for the intrepid Babysitters. I guess all the history I remember about the secret passage--it was a stop on the Underground Railroad, or something, right?--was from later books. (I read quite a few of them, borrowed from my sister, when I was a kid.) The abrupt ending was quite a surprise, therefore, as I was expecting a big infodump, presumably from Dawn's mother's date, Trip--why else was he even in the book?

Dawn was always one of the blander Babysitters; her sin...more
Swankivy
Dawn finds a secret passage and starts seeing evidence of ghosts. I really liked the descriptions in this book because it was actually kind of exciting--the idea of finding a cool passageway in your own house was really unimaginably cool, though of course when I think about its probability of actually being constructed the way it was described my brain kinda starts to melt. (Fun to read when you're a kid, though.) I thought the "clues" were contrived, though--as usual when it came to kids' myste...more
Laura Hughes
Dawn chooses to fear ghosts.

Dawn actually finds the secret passage under her house she has been counting on for some reason. She quickly becomes convinced that it is haunted. She hears spooky noises coming from the passage at odd times, and she finds a collection of old-looking objects in the dirt, such as a buffalo nickel and an arrowhead. (view spoiler)

This is anoth...more
Melissa Mckee
Martin, Anne. M. The Babysitter’s Club: The Ghost at Dawn’s House. New York: Scholastic, 1996. Print
Genre: Children’s Chapter Book
The Babysitter’s Club: The Ghost at Dawn’s House by Anne Martin is about a girl named Dawn whom is a part of the babysitters club. She is determined that there is a ghost in her house and gathers her other friends to help investigate. This book has detailed illustrations that help entice the reader into understanding what is occurring in the story. Illustrations help...more
Kristine Pratt
It's Dawn's turn to tell a story and she's got ghosts on the brain! This book I liked, as it had some really interesting spooky elements (perfect for fall reading) but also had a lot of really interesting disasters on the baby-sitting end of things. Seriously, do these things happen? Knowing kids, they do. Mrs. Pike, you are my hero - I want to be more like you!

A fun read but I almost dropped this down to three stars because we never resolved a portion of the plot. I'm deciding to take the high...more
Raevyn [Hello!]
Rachel Brand
Not one of the strongest early BSC books but still enjoyable. I probably would have liked it a lot if I read it as a child. It was quite atmospheric in places - even for an adult! - and it was interesting to see Dawn having an interest in mysteries, not just Claudia. It was quite amusing how she automatically assumed that the tunnel was haunted, but maybe back in the 1980s kids believed in ghosts more? I did find the Nicky plot kind of weak, and the random chapter about Claudia sitting for Jamie...more
Marian
May 17, 2010 Marian added it
Shelves: 2010, bsc, readit
This has always been one of my favorite BSC books. Since a Dawn book was my first BSC book ever, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for her. The added bonus of her being a ghost loving fiend with a secret passage in her very own house? Bonus beyond words.

It doesn't hurt that this is one of the BSC books that actually holds up well over the years. It still makes me look forward to summer storms that beg for a book of ghost stories to be read while the sky falls.

I love the bits where Nicky Pike...more
I really thought it had a different ending.
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the...more
  • Three's a Crowd (Sweet Valley Twins, #7)

Ann gets the ideas for her books from many different places. Some are based on personal experiences, while others are based on childhood me...more
More about Ann M. Martin...
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray A Corner of the Universe The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)