Start by marking “Immediate Family” as Want to Read:
Immediate Family

Immediate Family

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  531 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews

What does it mean to be a family? New York Times bestselling author Eileen Goudge's engaging new novel is a powerful adventure into the heart of marriage, motherhood, and four friends who discover they may be the best family they ever had.

Fifteen years after graduation, best friends Jay, Franny, Emerson, and Stevie meet at their college reunion. Life has taken each of t

Published May 2nd 2006 by Gallery Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Immediate Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immediate Family

Rebecca
Jun 19, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
You’ve read this story before. Four friends from college that stayed friends in life and some major life changing events brings them even closer together. I can’t remember if it was a reunion that brought them together or they never really separated. Either way, it doesn’t really matter. This story worked out a bit too picture perfect for my liking. I do like books with loads of friends though. The life I wish I had. ANYWAY. The book starts with Girl #1 who is an entertainment reporter in Los An ...more
Susan Bazzett-griffith
Nov 20, 2015 Susan Bazzett-griffith rated it it was ok
Shelves: fun-chick-lit
This book was very "meh". Because there were so many characters, I felt disconnected from all of them. I also could not see why these very different women would be lifelong friends, considering they had little in common. The many separate plot lines made it feel more like a soap opera than a regular novel, and though I kept reading to see how it turned out, how it turned out was truly as predictable as it seemed from the beginning. Disappointing, but not terrible. Two stars.
Elizabeth
Oct 17, 2015 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Could not get into this book and stopped at page 75. Too many characters introduced right away. The women and their relationships are so dumb, I knew I'd hate them even more if I kept reading!
Lisa Murray
Oct 10, 2015 Lisa Murray rated it liked it
long time friends (single woman and married man) have child invitro and then fall in love
Shandygirl
Mar 10, 2016 Shandygirl rated it liked it
Good light read.
Cathy Ryan
Oct 04, 2015 Cathy Ryan rated it really liked it
Good....a little contrived but very readable!
Ashley
Aug 24, 2008 Ashley rated it liked it
I would really give this book a 3 and a half. I liked it and it was a quick read, but some of the characters bothered me a little. I know everyone has their issues, but the characters in this book make the issues there they are facing take over their whole lives. I know that I am saying this because I am not facing those issues. All in all I liked the book and I would recommend it to my friends.
Synova
Apr 20, 2008 Synova rated it liked it
Shelves: girly-fiction, own
This was a random book I picked up at Borders on a whim. It's the story of 4 college friends, 15 years or so after their college graduation. It flips back and forth between all four of their lives... very enjoyable characters, but since it flips back and forth so much, I felt like I didn't get to know them very well.
Heather
Mar 19, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
This must have been a really great book to me since I have no recollection of even reading it. Wow. I usually will at least remember if I liked something, even if I don't remember every plot detail. I'm giving it two stars because I did finish it, but not more than that since I don't remember it.
Kristin R
Jan 17, 2011 Kristin R rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A light and entertaining book about 4 college friends (from Princeton) as they meet at their college reunion and the few years that follow. 3 live in NY and on in LA, their ups and downs with their love lives and families.
Marsha
Aug 03, 2009 Marsha rated it it was ok
Four college friends find their lives still touching each other's fifteen years after their Princeton graduation. Although somewhat predictable, this book wasn't a bad read.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 05, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
It's been a while since I've read chit lit and this was a nice diversion on the elliptical machine at the gym. It was quick paced and, yes, there is a happy ending for all.
Sue
Oct 04, 2008 Sue rated it it was ok
I have really enjoyed other books by this author, but this book was a disappointment. Too many books that are better to waste time on this book, though it was an easy read.
Julie
Aug 03, 2010 Julie rated it it was ok
Either it was edited to zilch or it never fleshed out from its outline, but it had too much going on and all of it was at the utmost surface level. Disappointing.
Kimberly Coley
Jul 16, 2011 Kimberly Coley rated it really liked it
After reading all of the comments I almost didn't read this but I'm glad I did. Not Bronte or anything quite so literary but it was a cute story. Good beach read!
Dec 07, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
Chick lit about 4 friends from college 15 years after graduation. All the plot lines were a bit implausible and neatly wrapped up, but it was an entertaining read.
Karyn
Mar 05, 2009 Karyn rated it it was ok
I wanted to give this author a second try. I think it will be my last. She develops characters well; however, the characters have no character. :-)
Mary Anne
Mar 13, 2010 Mary Anne rated it it was ok
A light read that I really never got that much into. If it had not been the last unread book that I had from the library, I may not have stuck with it.
Allison
Dec 08, 2008 Allison rated it liked it
This was pretty good. I don't feel compelled to run out and find more books by this author, however. It was enjoyable, light reading though.
Jul 19, 2010 Laura rated it it was ok
Fluff fluff fluff... but it's summer, so a little brainless reading is allowed! You can see the end resolution coming from a mile away.
Dec 13, 2007 Laura rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book. I thought the writing was bad, the plot too predictable, and everything turned out too perfectly in the end.
Carol
Dec 25, 2009 Carol rated it liked it
Didn't like this one as well as her other book. These characters were a little too self-centered. Very predictable plot.
Sandy
Aug 01, 2011 Sandy added it
Another great work by Eileen Goudge!! Loved the story, the characters and really, everything about the book!!
Karen
Apr 26, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chicklit
A great beach read about friends hooking up, having babies and moving on with their lives. Fantastic Chick-Lit!
Lisa
May 09, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
It seemed like some thing happened way to fast in the book, but at the same time, they made for a nice plot.
Anne
Oct 15, 2014 Anne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
What crap! Relationship lies that could serve as a season of FRIENDS
Kristin Dombrowik
Apr 08, 2010 Kristin Dombrowik rated it really liked it
Good book about a friendship and how we sometimes don't always see happiness is right in front of us.
Bronwyn Rykiert
Jan 02, 2016 Bronwyn Rykiert rated it liked it
Could have been better but it was okay. The story of 4 college friends and their relationships.
Carol
Feb 01, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
I like her characters. Her books are usually about friendships, and her characters are believable.
Jessica Robinson
May 13, 2011 Jessica Robinson rated it liked it
A fun and light read although seems likes everyone agrees.....very predictable.
  • Elements of Style
  • The Last Summer of Her Other Life
  • Time After Time
  • Lady Gaga: Behind The Fame
  • The Goodbye Summer
  • Oxford Girl (Kindle Single)
  • Together Alone
  • Hare Today, Dead Tomorrow (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #4)
  • Love Rehab: A Novel in Twelve Steps
  • Cheerful Money: Me, My Family, and the Last Days of Wasp Splendor
  • Another Summer
  • Coming Back to Me
  • Torn to Pieces
I began writing at the age of eight, and wrote my way through the lean years, more than one marriage, single motherhood,and moving to the Big Apple on a wing and a prayer, with fifteen women's fiction novels to show for it. Every life experience I've weathered has found its way into my novels in one form or another:bad exes, births, deaths,divorces, pregnancy scares,true crime (I was nearly kidnap ...more
More about Eileen Goudge...