Start by marking “Immediate Family” as Want to Read:
Immediate Family

Immediate Family

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  507 ratings  ·  37 reviews

What does it mean to be a family? New York Times bestselling author Eileen Goudge's engaging new novel is a powerful adventure into the heart of marriage, motherhood, and four friends who discover they may be the best family they ever had.

Fifteen years after graduation, best friends Jay, Franny, Emerson, and Stevie meet at their college reunion. Life has taken each of t

Published May 2nd 2006 by Gallery Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Immediate Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immediate Family

Rebecca
You’ve read this story before. Four friends from college that stayed friends in life and some major life changing events brings them even closer together. I can’t remember if it was a reunion that brought them together or they never really separated. Either way, it doesn’t really matter. This story worked out a bit too picture perfect for my liking. I do like books with loads of friends though. The life I wish I had. ANYWAY. The book starts with Girl #1 who is an entertainment reporter in Los An ...more
Ashley (angelashly)
I would really give this book a 3 and a half. I liked it and it was a quick read, but some of the characters bothered me a little. I know everyone has their issues, but the characters in this book make the issues there they are facing take over their whole lives. I know that I am saying this because I am not facing those issues. All in all I liked the book and I would recommend it to my friends.
Synova
This was a random book I picked up at Borders on a whim. It's the story of 4 college friends, 15 years or so after their college graduation. It flips back and forth between all four of their lives... very enjoyable characters, but since it flips back and forth so much, I felt like I didn't get to know them very well.
Heather
This must have been a really great book to me since I have no recollection of even reading it. Wow. I usually will at least remember if I liked something, even if I don't remember every plot detail. I'm giving it two stars because I did finish it, but not more than that since I don't remember it.
Kristin R
A light and entertaining book about 4 college friends (from Princeton) as they meet at their college reunion and the few years that follow. 3 live in NY and on in LA, their ups and downs with their love lives and families.
Marsha
Four college friends find their lives still touching each other's fifteen years after their Princeton graduation. Although somewhat predictable, this book wasn't a bad read.
Teena in Toronto
It's been a while since I've read chit lit and this was a nice diversion on the elliptical machine at the gym. It was quick paced and, yes, there is a happy ending for all.
Sue
I have really enjoyed other books by this author, but this book was a disappointment. Too many books that are better to waste time on this book, though it was an easy read.
Julie
Either it was edited to zilch or it never fleshed out from its outline, but it had too much going on and all of it was at the utmost surface level. Disappointing.
Kimberly Coley
After reading all of the comments I almost didn't read this but I'm glad I did. Not Bronte or anything quite so literary but it was a cute story. Good beach read!
Chick lit about 4 friends from college 15 years after graduation. All the plot lines were a bit implausible and neatly wrapped up, but it was an entertaining read.
Karyn
I wanted to give this author a second try. I think it will be my last. She develops characters well; however, the characters have no character. :-)
Mary Anne
A light read that I really never got that much into. If it had not been the last unread book that I had from the library, I may not have stuck with it.
Allison
This was pretty good. I don't feel compelled to run out and find more books by this author, however. It was enjoyable, light reading though.
Fluff fluff fluff... but it's summer, so a little brainless reading is allowed! You can see the end resolution coming from a mile away.
I didn't like this book. I thought the writing was bad, the plot too predictable, and everything turned out too perfectly in the end.
Carol
Didn't like this one as well as her other book. These characters were a little too self-centered. Very predictable plot.
Sandy
Aug 01, 2011 Sandy added it
Another great work by Eileen Goudge!! Loved the story, the characters and really, everything about the book!!
Karen
A great beach read about friends hooking up, having babies and moving on with their lives. Fantastic Chick-Lit!
Lisa
It seemed like some thing happened way to fast in the book, but at the same time, they made for a nice plot.
Anne
What crap! Relationship lies that could serve as a season of FRIENDS
Kristin Dombrowik
Good book about a friendship and how we sometimes don't always see happiness is right in front of us.
Carol
I like her characters. Her books are usually about friendships, and her characters are believable.
Jessica Robinson
A fun and light read although seems likes everyone agrees.....very predictable.
Heidi
I liked all the little storylines in this book. A lot going on, but very easy to follow.
Wendy
I always enjoy Eileen Goudge's books. This was another easy/enjoyable book.
Az Lina
Your typically predictable-happy- ending kind of book. Nothing fantastic.
annelies
Fun, very fast read... Looks like total trash, but is actually decent.
Karen Benson
A little hokey and pretty predictable, but still a decent read.
Good story about friendship but found it predictable.
  • Elements of Style
  • The Last Summer of Her Other Life
  • The Goodbye Summer
  • A Most Uncommon Degree of Popularity
  • Together Alone
  • About Face
  • Oxford Girl (Kindle Single)
  • Lady Gaga: Behind The Fame
  • Love Rehab: A Novel in Twelve Steps
  • Hare Today, Dead Tomorrow (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #4)
  • Good Family
  • Eight Little Faces: A Mom's Journey
  • Cheerful Money: Me, My Family, and the Last Days of Wasp Splendor
  • Coming Back to Me
  • Torn to Pieces
  • It's About Your Husband
  • Another Summer
I began writing at the age of eight, and wrote my way through the lean years, more than one marriage, single motherhood,and moving to the Big Apple on a wing and a prayer, with fifteen women's fiction novels to show for it. Every life experience I've weathered has found its way into my novels in one form or another:bad exes, births, deaths,divorces, pregnancy scares,true crime (I was nearly kidnap ...more
More about Eileen Goudge...
Garden of Lies The Diary The Replacement Wife Woman in Red Once in a Blue Moon