Start by marking “Preacher's Boy” as Want to Read:
Preacher's Boy

Preacher's Boy

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Robbie is the son of a preacher in small-town America in 1899. People are saying that the world's going to end at the turn of the century, so Robbie decides that he'd better make the most of his life and have as much fun as possible. But his outrageous behaviour does little to improve people's opinions of him, or his father.
Published by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1999)

It is the turn of the twentieth century, and Robbie, son of a preacher, is tired of trying to please God. Moreover, although Robbie's father is kind and gentle, it's not that easy to do what he wants, either. So when a fire-and-brimstone minister suggests that the world may be ending soon, Robbie decides that whatever time is left will be more fun without God in the equation. Like Huckleberry Finn Robbie is willing to take his chances with eternity for the opportunity to do what he wants. But be ...more
I love Katherine Paterson's use of the English language to encompass so much in so few words! This book contains rich descriptions which make you feel you're a part of the 1800s right alongside Robbie. Wonderful character development. I especially love how the main character grows throughout the story. A fabulous read from one of my favorite authors.
Is the end near?! That's the question Robbie Hewitt faces in Katherine Paterson's Preacher's Boy. The year is 1899. The novel follows the troubles of one mischievous boy, our narrator, Robbie. Well, what can one say about him? If you've read Tom Sawyer, you know EXACTLY what kind of boy he is. He's always getting IN and OUT of trouble. Since it seems impossible to stay mad at him, I suppose, you could call him charming too. How much trouble can a boy get into in one year?! Quite a bit.

Robbie li
Sep 26, 2008 Claire rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all ages
I liked this book, but found it interesting that it used to be if you believed that we evolved from apes your where frowned on, too bad that's changed.

The boy in the story (Robbie) is 10 ys. old, but, it's a good book for any age.
Great story about how certian people have thier share problems. That their faith in God helps them deal with the issues that faces these people on a daily basis. Pick up the book yourself and enjoy the story.
Robbie decides that being a Christian is too much work and there are too many rules to follow, so one day, he decide to become an "apeist." When he gets himself into trouble, he runs away, afraid of what his Pa will say. Robbie lives with a scary, drunk hobo and his daughter. When the man accidentally almost kills Robbie, the police find him and arrest him. Robbie has to decide between doing what's right and protecting himself.

This was actually pretty good for as lame as it sounds. It's a comin
I came across this book while I was organizing and getting rid of books that have accumulated over the years. I decided to read this one before giving it away. I'm glad I did, it was a really cute story about a young boy--the preacher's son, obviously, who questioned if there was a God and what his responsibilities in life should be. I liked how he grappled with being good or not being good. The story was set in 1899. The author did a good job of being true to the time period, the language, and ...more
I have a rule of thumb when it comes to the books of Katherine Paterson: whenever a new one is released, I automatically consider it a frontrunner for that year's Newbery awards. In addition to being one of only five authors (along with Joseph Krumgold, Elizabeth George Speare, E.L. Konigsburg and Lois Lowry) to ever win two Newbery Medals, and coming within a hair's breadth of becoming the only author to win consecutive Newbery Medals when The Great Gilly Hopkins was chosen as the only Newbery ...more
I was tempted to go with three stars instead of four because this didn't just wow my socks off, but then I started thinking that the kind of scrapes this kid gets himself into are true to life. Paterson manages to think like a boy here. And the kid ends up learning some good lessons in a natural way.
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 168pgs

1899 Vermont. 10 year old Robbie feels like his is always being held to a higher standard since he is the son of a preacher. When he hears that the world will be ending on December 31st, he decides he needs to make the most of his time and being a good Christian will just slow him down. When one of his pranks goes awry, Robbie must decide whether or not to do the right thing to fix it.

I think this story had a nice balance between Robbie's antics and the setting. This was just as muc
gr 5-8 168pgs

Jennifer Neuschwander
This was a great book by a great author!
After being reintroduced to Katherine Paterson, I am now on a quest to read all that she has written. I enjoyed, but didn't "love" Preacher's Boy. Maybe because the main character was a boy rather than a girl, I'm not really sure. The book was well written and told a great story of a boy growning up as the son of a preacher at the turn of the century. I thought his struggles and adventures were interesting and believable. The characters were very realistic. I liked that the story eneded with an ...more
Being the preacher's son is a trying experience for young Robbie. His nature is to get into trouble so he's always trying his dad's patience and yet he knows his dad needs him to be the best young man he can be. He soon meets a couple of people in town that he knows he shouldn't be hanging around with, but he just can't help himself. Robbie learns that his misdeeds has effects on others but he also knows that deep down, he's a good boy. People just need to understand him for who he is. A good on ...more
A wonderful example of how we can't do it on our own without God. We may try to be good but our anger or whatever often gets the best of us.

Robbie claims to be an apeist but what he really means is an atheist. He tries to do life without God. He shows kindness to some folks but at other times his anger flares up causing him shame.
I love Katherine Paterson for giving the world Jacob Have I Loved, which makes just about anything else she's written pale in comparison. Preacher's Boy does not have the same beauty or depth of JHIL, but it's a good read with Paterson's usual humanity and humor woven throughout her characters.
OK, but probably my least favorite Katherine Paterson book thus far. I did like many of the values portrayed by the main character, his best friend, and his father - loyalty, family, compassion, consequences of a hot temper, honesty, etc.
Becky Dutton
Robbie Burns is just 10, the son of a fundamental preacher. When Robbie hears about the second coming of Jesus, he begins to think about everything he hasn't done. Try as he might, he cannot get very far for his roots.
It seemed to me that this took too much from Tom Sawyer. There wasn't anything bad about that, or the story, but it didn't jump out at me. Not very memorable.
The characters were too unlikable. The first part is such an info dump that I couldn't keep reading.
I thought this one was very real and I appreciated the perspective.
I liked this book.
Unsolved Mystery
Unsolved Mystery marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Maria added it
Sep 25, 2015
Kayli marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Sara added it
Sep 07, 2015
Heather Hart
Heather Hart marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Storyteller's Beads
  • The Birthday Room
  • Frenchtown Summer
  • Rodzina
  • King of the Middle March (Arthur Trilogy, #3)
  • Katarina
  • Not the End of the World
  • The Barn
  • Jake's Orphan
  • Keeper of the Doves
  • What Would Joey Do? (Joey Pigza, #3)
  • The Blue Door (Quilt Trilogy, #3)
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)
  • Leonardo Da Vinci: Giants of Science #1
  • North by Night: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • The Search for Joyful (Mrs. Mike, #2)
  • Prairie Songs
  • Brady
From author's website:

People are always asking me questions I don't have answers for. One is, "When did you first know that you wanted to become a writer?" The fact is that I never wanted to be a writer, at least not when I was a child, or even a young woman. Today I want very much to be a writer. But when I was ten, I wanted to be either a movie star or a missionary. When I was twenty, I wanted t
More about Katherine Paterson...
Bridge to Terabithia Jacob Have I Loved The Great Gilly Hopkins Lyddie The Master Puppeteer

“I was behaving, just like I promised, but fate intervened.” 23 likes
“...I just gave up trying to be a Christian... Let's face it, I ain't got the knack for holiness. Besides, I didn't have the slightest little desire to join the likes of Reverend Pelham at the dinner table for fourteen minutes, much less at the banquet table of Heaven eternally. Eternity is a mighty long time to be stuck with people who judge every word you say and think and condemn most of what you do. It struck me as pretty miserable company. And if Reverend Pelham was the kind of company God preferred to keep, well, I just hoped they'd be happy together.” 8 likes