Start by marking “Winner Takes Nothing” as Want to Read:
Winner Takes Nothing

Read Book

Winner Takes Nothing

How far would you go to bring about change for the better? Does the end always justify the means? What is the meaning of love, friendship and sacrifice, and the definable meaning of wrong and right?
A group of friends, newly discharged from the elite French Foreign Legion travel through Central America on a road trip to freedom. One, struggling to write his novel, meets a w
Paperback, 2nd edition, 645 pages
Published January 14th 2014 by WILLIAMSON TINKERS PRESS

To ask other readers questions about Winner Takes Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winner Takes Nothing

K.A. Krisko
Feb 22, 2014 K.A. Krisko rated it really liked it
I hardly know how to classify this book, much less how to rate it. I’ve settled on four stars, for reasons I hope will become clear. Much of it is absolutely stellar, Heminway-esque-travelogue with shades of ‘On the Road’. There are some wonderful, lyrical descriptions evocative of place and some great short stories told through the eyes of people the narrator meets, especially in the first part, which I’d call the ‘travelogue’.

It almost seems that this very long book should be divided into thr
David McMullen-Sullivan
There are times when you read a book, and you think to yourself - what the heck was that all about. Winner Takes Nothing was like that for me. The author certainly covers the globe, and there were enough geographic factoids to make Rick Steves proud. I gave the book three stars for this reason.

To me, this book is almost entirely without plot, and the vast majority of it lacks an essential ingredient: conflict. The lack of conflict always translates into a serious problem for the reader: boredom.
Giovanni Russano
Mar 15, 2014 Giovanni Russano rated it liked it
For what it is, I enjoyed reading this book. A fair effort. It was a bit confusing at times but I think it was my fault. I've been proofreading for months and it's all becoming just words for me. I read this book as part of a review group and now I think that might have been a mistake.

Again, I don't think it's the book... it's me. Typical breakup line, I know. I like the writing style and enjoyed the way it switched narratives throughout. This is a tactic I have been very excited to employ as a
Ese Kļava
Ese Kļava rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2014
Shifa
Shifa marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
I am a hermit in my log cabin beyond the Arctic Circle, a tinker by origin from the Orkney Isles now here in Lappland. There are simple ideas I live by: a view from a peak must be earned by a climb, a night in the desert gives the best sleep, and stories are found deep in forests.

For me, hospitality is sacrosanct – high up on a mountainside when the winds gather, or in the desert when the mirage i
More about Hamish Gunn...