Start by marking “Five Ways a Boy Can Break Your Heart” as Want to Read:
Five Ways a Boy Can Break Your Heart

Five Ways a Boy Can Break Your Heart

When Trey and Liam meet in boarding school, they couldn’t be more different. Liam is a classical violinist with a scholarship, and Trey is a punk rocker with famous parents. Despite their conflicting backgrounds, they hit it off and bond over their love of music. But after spending every waking hour together, Liam is devastated when Trey leaves school without an ...more
Published February 12th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Five Ways a Boy Can Break Your Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Ways a Boy Can Break Your Heart

Walking On Air by Catherine AndersonCress by Marissa MeyerThis Broken Beautiful Thing by Sophie SummersThe Uninvited by S.L. MorganBe with Me by J. Lynn
Best books of February, 2014
29th out of 82 books — 166 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxThe Foxhole Court by Nora SakavicMikey and the Chickadee by Kid BoiseEvenfall by Santino HassellStill Waters by Alex Gabriel
M/M Romance With (Mostly) White Covers
297th out of 301 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

This wasn't bad. But it was nothing special either. The word that comes to mind is GENERIC - sweet enough, best friends to lovers, heartache, coming together after a long absence. But it's all been done, and done better.

I don't usually love rock stars in my books anyway (fame is highly overrated as an aphrodisiac), although Trey being a rock star (something not mentioned in the blurb) is almost an afterthought. The "conflict" is that Trey took a song that he wrote with his best friend L
Trisha Harrington
This was really, really good. Trey and Liam were a lovely couple and the connection between the MC's was there. The only complaint I have is the length, I would have liked a bit more of the couple. It isn't super short, so you do get a satisfying amount of story. I just felt like I would have loved more of them.

The emotions in the story were really strong and I was rooting for the two of them to get back together. Trey really seemed to be sorry for leaving and I liked that Liam wasn't a total as
Bev
Feb 13, 2014 Bev rated it really liked it
4 stars for this one from me. I do like the childhood friends to lovers trope, throw in some angst and misunderstandings and I'm a goner plus this one was sweet.

As I'd really liked Cate Ashwood's 'Keeping Sweets', I thought I'd give this one a go when I saw it on the DsP website. Liam is the poor boy made good on a scholarship to a posh school, and Trey is the son of a very successful businessman who doesn't actually care a lot for his family...sounds familiar doesn't it.

Unlikely friends obvio
Riina Y.T.
`•..• º ..•` I'm ready to fall `•..• º ..•`

“When you left, you broke my heart. In a hundred different ways.

You ignored my feelings for you, dismissed me when I tried to figure out what was wrong, lied to me about why you were leaving, exploited our song, and you never once explained yourself.”

“That’s only five ways.”

------

Trey.
Impulsive and wild. Confident and unattainable. Loves music, especially playing the guitar and singing, more than anything. Always had lots of friends but nobody w
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This review can be found at The Blogger Girls review site.

This was a cute little story about two friends reuniting after seven long years filled with hurt, betrayal, guilt and longing. Trey has made a life as a famous rock star but still yearns for the one person he can never have – his old best friend, Liam, who he spent years with at boarding school. After Trey hurt Liam beyond repair, Liam went on to make a successful life as a violinist and teacher. They’re both living half lives, m
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
Feb 13, 2014 LiveYourLife BuyTheBook rated it really liked it
4 Stars
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

I knew right away I had to read this book. I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve read by the authors so a team up by them seemed like a for sure thing. AND it was! This was pretty damn good. A good angsty read for those of us who love a reunited love type of story.

Trey and Liam were both in love with each other in high school but never told each other. They were best friends and afraid to come out or ruin what they had. Liam was the poor kid on scholarship at
Lucy
Sep 02, 2016 Lucy rated it liked it
I have such mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I love friends to lovers stories. On the other, well, bad behavior requires, well, anyway…

Trey and Liam were friends in boarding school. They room together and they become friends, then best friends Liam wants nothing more than to fit in, Trey wants nothing more than someone to like him for himself. They get that in each other.

The two are best friends, writing songs together and getting through high school. Then one day, just as Liam
Elizabetta

Quick and easy read about boarding school friends whose shared love for music helps guide them through hardships and misunderstandings. Familiar characters and predictable foibles don’t mar a nice delivery of the plot. And, hey, NYC and a mention of the wonderful Highline park don’t hurt either.

(view spoiler)
F.E.  Feeley Jr.
Feb 11, 2014 F.E. Feeley Jr. rated it it was amazing
I had the distinct pleasure of being the beta reader for this book (Are you jealous? You should be...just kidding) and I can tell you, its quite a wonderful read. As this is my very first contemporary male/male romance novel, these two authors were so believable and so passionate about their craft, I think I finished in a day and begged, "More! MORE!"
I love serendipity, I love romance, (being a gay man, I have a particular interest in gay romance believe it or not), and these two deliver. I am
Anke
Feb 12, 2014 Anke rated it really liked it

Nice read, captivating, in spite of some flaws, at least for me. I liked both MCs, both voices drew me into the development. The whole thing felt rushed and in the end, the final flashbacks were unnecessary; even the epilogue was a bit unsubstantial. Nevertheless, I liked it.
Aeren
May 24, 2016 Aeren rated it liked it
Ahora sí, ignoro porqué había puesto este comentario en otro libro :P
Lo admito, empecé éste cuando tengo otro por ahi a medias, ya he comentado que el tema relaciones anteriores/segundas oportunidades me encanta. Se lee rápido y es exactamente lo que buscaba, algo ligero.
Tess
Jul 19, 2015 Tess rated it liked it
Enjoyable second chance romance. High school best friends, with a shared passion for music, become estranged not knowing how the other feels. I loved Liam but, for some reason, didn't warm up to Trey as much. I think I would have liked to have seen more of their time together in high school.
Galia
Oct 16, 2016 Galia rated it liked it
Joyfully Jay
Mar 26, 2014 Joyfully Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: crissy
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Five Ways a Boy Can Break Your Heart is the first collaboration by Cate Ashwood and Skylar M. Cates, and let me tell you, it is precious. This novella holds a story of misunderstandings, forgiveness, and second chances. Not to mention cocky rockers and busy classical musicians.

Being that this is such a character-driven story, I fell in love with Liam and Trey instantly. I love Trey’s bad boy image (that’s not so much an image, but more like the real man). He’s got a
Pjm12
This was ok. I would have liked more glimpses into the pair as teenagers, and all in one hit. There was one major scene of them as school boys initially, then two (maybe three?) more as flashbacks. I think the tension would have been better if we had seen all that in the beginning.

The development of their re-connection was nice because we didn't just see them in bed. They got out, they spent a day together, and eventually they talked.

I guess I am greedy. I wanted more.
Bitchie *hates the new GR Homepage*
I really enjoyed this, although I wish it had been longer. Also, it would have been nice if Liam and Trey had actually talked before they fucked. Even if it was just an "I never wanted to leave you, it's always been you", and then talking about the rest of their issues after. Liam just jumping right back in that way didn't make sense to me.
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at Smexybooks.com

Liam and Trey met at an exclusive private school. Liam, on a music scholarship, is considered a charity case and subjected to some bullying. His only friend is Trey who is the son of very famous, very rich parents. Their friendship is based on a love of music and soon Liam develops a romantic crush on Trey. Unable to know if Trey reciprocates Liam’s love and scared to find out, Liam stays quiet and does whatever he can to
Becky Condit
Feb 19, 2014 Becky Condit rated it it was amazing
Lucky's review: Skylar Cates and Cate Ashwood make a formidable writing duo. They took a story that should be cut and dried, two friends who go their separate ways, one of whom capitalizes on something they both worked on, but gave no credit for, and should be thought of as the villain of the piece.

And he is. For a time. But these boys aren’t one dimensional characters that you can just ascribe a feeling to. The things they do have reasons behind them. In truth they’re pretty damn compelling rea
Bo
Dec 09, 2015 Bo rated it it was amazing
Stay With It

This one is totally unbelievable from the start--and absolutely believable as it hits its stride.

The answer to the title of the book comes in one paragraph somewhere beyond the halfway point, but that's not important.

What is important is that Trey and Liam are two of the most self-loathing of the highly successful young men you are likely to come across in a book which concentrates on a rock star and a word-class violinist. Now, I know that narrows the field a bit, but the key here
Liz (Bugetta)
3.5* I liked this story a lot. Friends and fellow musicians Trey and Liam bonded during their time at boarding school. Liam loved Trey but never told him. They wrote a song together that told all of his feelings for Trey but then Trey had to leave school and was very hurtful when he left and to make matters worse, used the song they wrote together when he made it big as a musician. Needless to say, when they meet again 7 years later, it's hate at first sight on Liam's part. At least it is as ...more
The Novel Approach Reviews
Feb 17, 2014 The Novel Approach Reviews rated it really liked it
I am a total sucker for books with rock stars, friends to lovers, and reunions. This book has all of those things and so much more. It isn’t a terribly long story, but I believe the authors got in as much as they could about the characters, and I didn’t feel robbed of backstory at all. I felt both MCs were well fleshed out and most questions were answered.

See the entire review at The Novel Approach: http://thenovelapproachreviews.com/20...
melek
Mar 07, 2016 melek rated it it was amazing
When trey and Liam were young teens they were best friends , they made a song together. They were never together but Liam loved trey with all his heart then he broke it. Trey betrayed his trust and love for him. 7 years later trey is caught in a scandal but also he and liam meet again in an charity. And trey wants a chance with Liam but will Liam give him the chance and forgive him and find out what happened 7 years ago.
Benjamin Dominique Wong
Jul 01, 2015 Benjamin Dominique Wong rated it really liked it
Shelves: unlikely-pair
Nice and enjoyable read, albeit a little short. And the resolution to their misunderstanding seemed a little too easy and fast. Would have loved for it to be a little more drawn out and fleshed out. Do like the occasional flashbacks, and would have loved more of the time they spent together in school and how their feelings for each other back then grew. But overall still liked it.
Duck
First I have to add a disclaimer: I am a SUCKER for the childhood friends become gay lovers storyline - I love it!

That being said, this book did not disappoint. With the story being just over 100pgs, I feel the authors did a great job of developing both characters by using different POVs and well placed flashback type moments.

This is a fast, easy, but extremely entertaining read.
Karen
Sep 12, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Inexperience and insecurities result in young broken hearts. Seven years pass without contact but remembered pain and love remain just below the surface. A chance meeting throws them back together. Will either of them be strong enough to break their destructive cycle?

A fun, relatively short read with highly likeable MCs.
Kat
Feb 15, 2014 Kat rated it liked it
Can't decide if 2.5 stars or 3 stars...

It was a nice read, even if more depth to the plot would have done the story good. I liked the MCs, although I'd love to have seen more grovelling on Trey's part for what he's done... The story felt a bit rushed, the epilogue didn't offer much or add anything to the story and the final flashbacks were pretty unnecessary.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Lucy
Genre: M/M Contemporary
3 Hearts

See Review Here: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hearts...
DL
Apr 04, 2014 DL rated it liked it
Despite the seven year gap in the MCs lives together, I didn't feel like I missed anything. I felt like I understood the characters. All very well done. Even the relatively easy reconciliation was fine with me. What brought the story down in the end were the flashbacks.
Caroline Brand
4.5 Stars

This is a quick and enthralling read with a badass rocker that you won’t be able to put down!!

For full review see here:

Amandy Q
Mar 09, 2014 Amandy Q rated it liked it
Short and sweet but a little over dramatic. Which I honestly did not feel like blaming them for... such is the tragic truth of teenage artists :) Anyways, would recommend for anyone looking for lost love reuniting and all that jazz. Or anyone with a heart for musical romance.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Intervention
  • The Impetuous Afflictions of Jonathan Wolfe (Troubles of Love #2)
  • On the Right Track (Vocal Growth, #1)
  • Encore (Blue Notes, #5)
  • Newton's Laws of Attraction (Newton's Laws of Attraction, #1)
  • Metal Heart
  • When Adam Kissed Me (Inseparable, #2)
  • King of Snowflakes (West Coast Boys, #1)
  • The Luckiest (Lucky Moon, #2)
  • Painting Fire on the Air (Survivor Stories #2)
  • Picks & Pucks
  • Pitch (Transitions, #1)
  • With the Band
  • American Love Songs
  • Jurassic Heart
  • It's All Geek to Me
  • The Wolf and His Diva
  • Alaska (Heartwarming)
Cate Ashwood wrote her very first story in a hot pink binder when she was in the second grade and found her passion for writing. Her first successful foray into romance writing came five years later when she wrote her best friend, who was experiencing a case of unrequited love, her own happily ever after.

Cate’s life has taken a number of different and adventurous roads. She now lives a stone’s thr
More about Cate Ashwood...