Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, Book 1)

Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  191,526 ratings  ·  2,348 reviews
A missing little girl named Maggie Rose. A family of three brutally murdered in the projects of Washington, D.C. The thrill-killing of a beautiful elementary school teacher. A psychopathic serial kidnapper/murderer who calls himself the Son of Lindbergh. He is so terrifying that the FBI, the Secret Service, and the police cannot outsmart him-even after he's been captured.G...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2001 by Hachette Audio (first published January 1st 1992)

Ryan Gillespie
Jan 26, 2013 Ryan Gillespie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Ryan by: Tami Tabor
Shelves: james-patterson
James Patterson. The man writes a book and you read it. It's plain and simple. He knows how to write a mother-fucking story. This wasn't the first book I read but damn. The dude keeps makin' a brother come back for more. It gets even better when you're reading a book about the REAL OG: Alex Cross.

Short attention span? James Patterson's books come automatically equipped with small chapters.

Enjoy reading before bed? Forget about it. You're laying down in bed, right? HAIL NO. This shit has you on t...more
LJ
ALONG CAME A SPIDER (Police Procedural/US/Cont) – Poor
Patterson, James – 1st in series
Warner Books, 1992- Paperback
The daughter of a famous actress and son of the secretary of the Treasury has been kidnapped. The boy's body is found and the kidnapper demands that Detective Alex Cross be the one to deliver the $10M ransom. The money is taken, but the girl is not returned and Alex joins forces with Jezzie Flanagan, the supervisor of the Secret Service, to find the kidnapper.
*** I had some real pro...more
Mary Statza
Wow, where do I begin? This book inspired me to write a literary review for English class discussing why a a book like this should NEVER have made it onto the bestsellers list.
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS BOOK OR THE ALEX CROSS SERIES, PLEASE DON'T CONTINUE!!
Some major points include:
* Alex Cross is an incredibly boring, cliché, slightly-racist, unrealistic character
* The italicization of random words without regards to taste or context
* Incredible off-putting love scenes
* Boring, repetitive text,...more
Lynn
This book had a very interesting plot and a decent cover.

That's about it. What a major disappointment this was. I guess it goes to show you just how good an actor Morgan Freeman is. Hell, he drove Ms. Daisy around for two hours and made it seem fun, and he made the movie version of this very watchable. Sadly, he was not around to act out the novel for me.

By the way, the cover isn't really that cool, I was just being polite.
Solim
Ok so I watched the movie starring Morgan Freeman before reading this book which sort of ruined it for me but trust me I learned my lesson. The only thing the movie got right was the name of the characters, and the main theme/plot of the book which was the kidnapping. I could not believe how off the movie was compared to the book, but enough about that. This was probably the most I was engaged into a mystery/thriller/suspense book since I read A Cold Day In Paradise by Steve Hamilton which got m...more
Marnie
Phrynne
I have read a few Alex Cross books now and decided it was time I read the very first one to see how it all began. I am very glad I did because I found this to be an excellent book. It has a fast paced and exciting story which has the reader guessing from the first page and then it ends with quite a remarkable twist which I did not see coming. I sat up very late finishing it because I just could not put it down! Altogether a really good read.
Manugw
What a dissapoinment

How can somebody can write a book so boring, after this book I will never choose any Patterson work again
One thing about library borrowing is that you can check out books that you never would buy. It is actually kind of freeing. And, if there aren't any good books available as ebooks, you can use the opportunity to check out books that you wouldn't have read otherwise. Books such as as Along Came a Spider by James Patterson.

Now, I know that popular fiction is popular for a reason. But these authors who just pump out book after book after book, each book so similar to the last, tend to get tedious....more
Laurence
I was going to say that it started of well, but then I realised that it was only because I thought the beginning sucked the least. I mean, if you want to read a story with unbelievably cringe-worthy romance lines, pointless and unnecessary racism and a script that only added to the unrealisticness of the characters, then by all means, throw your money away on this book.
The beginning kept me going for a while because I thought it had a pretty decent storyline (probably the only good point about t...more
stephanie
the first of the alex cross novels, i was very surprised by the characterization of cross. i guess there is a lot of development over time, but the cross that i was introduced to in mary, mary is only like this cross in a peripheral way - reminded me of bad fanfic. if you think trashy thrillers don't deal with the big issues, like race, this proves you wrong - this whole book is about race and interracial romance and the like. in fact, it beats you over the head with it. which - i didn't even re...more
Jane Stewart
It was well done, but I wasn’t emotionally consumed.

The plot, the events, and actions were very well done. I was surprised and pleased. The book definitely kept my interest. The main reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is because I didn’t smile. I think of Grisham who takes me to the 5 star level. He writes a similar genre, but he makes me smile, either at the intriguing characters, or the “wow that is so exciting” when being chased or trapped or wondering if the hero will survive.

At times I felt im...more
Lindsay
This is really more of a 2.5 stars.
I started reading this with really high expectations. I had heard so much about James Patterson, all of it good. So I just assumed it would be. Good, that is.
And it's not that it's a bad book. It's a well conceived plot, interesting characters. So where did it go wrong? I felt like Patterson's ideas were often left only half-formed. Like, a conversation would take an interesting turn, but never arrive at its destination. It left me feeling like something was l...more
Kristensilvermoore
Okay, I was really disappointed by this novel, which I listened to as an audiobook while working on my computer. James Patterson is one of the most popular authors out there, so though I didn’t expect him to be a literary genius, I did expect him to be a good storyteller. I was sorely disappointed.

There were plenty of twists and turns in plot—I’ll give him that—and I did want to continue reading (or rather, listening) to see how everything turned out, but I was unimpressed by his dull, first-pe...more
Rita
Este foi o meu primeiro livro da série Alex Cross.
Já tinha lido Private – Missão Jogos Olímpicos (pt-br) e Primeira a morrer – 1º da série clube das investigadoras (pt-pt).

Resolvi, e porque recebi grande parte dos livros de James Patterson em Inglês e em formato para kindle, que a série Alex Cross seria lida na língua original uma vez que em Portugal não se respeita a ordem de saída dos livros e essa é uma das minhas manias – ler por ordem.

Gosto de livros com acção, mistério, perigo, terror e gr...more
Scott Porch
A reasonably scripted thriller with some cringe-worthy lines that should never have gotten past a high school-educated editor. Alex Cross is a black, working class police detective in Washington, D.C., which was refreshingly different for a hero in a procedural thriller. The story moved along and was not predictable. But that was some crappy writing.

As with the Left Behind series – and, frankly, a lot of other mass-market stuff – the really bad writing was in the short turns of phrases that were...more
Riccarla Roman
"Along Came a Spider" by James Patterson is a great "OMG!" book because that's what you'll say after almost every chapter.

This is the first Alex Cross book and sets up our hero nicely. A widower with two children and a grandmother at home, he is one of an elite squad called in to investigate a double kidnapping at a prestigious Washington D. C. school. Apparently the children have been kidnapped by a teacher but it goes way beyond this. Gary Sonejii is probably one of the most socio/psychopathic...more
Jeph Lewis
I picked up this book because the lead character was name-dropped in an episode of Castle. That, I've come to realize, was one of the worst decisions of my young life.

Nathan Fillion plays charismatic ne'er-do-well Billy Blanks in this murder-mystery turned homoerotic romp. Billy and his life-mate Henry "Walter" Geralds decide to start a Children's bookstore that they name after their favorite line from Little Miss Muffet, Along Came a Spider. At ACaS, the two proprietors are constantly labeled a...more
Josh
I started reading this because I felt it was necessary to expose myself to some James Patterson before criticizing his work. After reading 100 pages in less than an hour, I realized that it wasn't challenging reading, nor was it thematically complex reading. Alex Cross does not seem like a PhD in psychology, he seems like some advertisers idea of what a PhD in psychology would be like. It is reverse racist; the shifting narratives make these sweeping generalizations from supposedly highly educat...more
Matthew Esham
I was looking for something a bit different to read and my brother lent me the Alex Cross series.

I couldn't put book 1 down, and have already dug into book 2, breaking one of my own rules about not starting the next novel until I write the review of the one I just finished. But life has been hectic. Oh, well.

On to the story.

Alex Cross is an African-American detective who also has a degree in psychology. He works on the tough streets of D.C. where violent crime is an everyday occurrence.
James...more
Nur Ain Z.
I absolutely didn't see that coming!

And that's the only good thing I can say about the book, though I didn't particularly hate it. It could have been better. The first half of the book was mind-numbing. The pages passed by in a blur. I almost came to the point of hating myself for picking up the book. But what choice did I have anyways? It was the only book in this house I could find, and I was on the verge of insanity myself if I didn't read.

This is the very first story from Alex Cross's series...more
Amy
I decided to read books that have forever piqued my curiosity since I was kid: I would see these books line the shelves at the library, on and on. These authors still are bestsellers and incredibly productive. Thus, a little fun project that both entertained and surprised me. I selected these authors based on recollections of my hometown library back then, so it's not necessarily all-encompassing. Here is part three of four!

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4

---

I zipped through this book at the ai...more
Julie
Feb 20, 2010 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Patterson fans, people who like thrillers
Recommended to Julie by: Amanda, Holly 1, Meg
Shelves: 2010, action-suspense
Having read several other James Patterson books (from other series), I was interested to see how the first Alex Cross book would compare.

You can definitely tell the difference between this book and the later Pattersons, where he is writing with a co-author and putting out three books a year. This one seemed to have more depth to it and I couldn't blow through it in a day like his more recent works.

I like the character of Alex Cross, but I find him to be volatile and outspoken, sometimes not to h...more
Bonnie
Fabio Raffaelli
Accidenti , se non fosse per colpa della scala di valutazione a 5 stelle , il libro si meriterebbe un 9! Mi ribello, voglio 10 stelle!!

Thriller micidiale , soprattutto nelle ultime 100 pagine , dove succede di tutto e di più! Ho avuto però l'impressione che alcuni capitoli , in particolare nella prima parte , fossero di troppo rispetto alla storia principale...in effetti non aggiungono molto alla trama e sembrano più che altro un riempitivo.
E questo è l'unico motivo per cui non si becca le 5 ste...more
John
I couldn't finish it. I did not like the writing style (a mix of first and third person) and I could not get into the story at all. Too much time was being spent on the relationship between Alex and Jezzie, a totally unlikeable character. I tried a few times to push through thinking it would get better, but that never happened. I will not be reading the rest of the Alex Cross series!
Nicola
Still remains the best James Patterson book I've read to date- even tops the Maximum Ride series. It's exciting, and absolutely terrifying. I honestly had trouble sleeping for a week after reading this. Very powerful storytelling.
Serena!
Mmm.. Mi aspettavo decisamente di più, lo ammetto :(
Volevo iniziare a leggere la serie di Alex Cross da millenni: Patterson ha scritto migliaia di libri, è etichettato come lo scrittore thriller più venduto al mondo con fantasmilioni di copie vendute** in tutto il mondo, il caso editoriale dell'anno (di tutti gli anni, ovviamente).. Insomma, il guru, il top, l'immancabile.
C'è poi da dire che io ho amato alla follia la serie Maximum Ride, divertente, scorrevole, con ottimi personaggi e una bella...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Mar 23, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Crime Thrillers and Police Procedurals
I've read over a half dozen of Patterson's Alex Cross novels, and of those I've read this first one is the best. A lot of the reason I kept reading after this one is the protagonist detective, Alex Cross. He's likable and relatable here. He's a black detective and psychologist in Washington DC. One who doesn't want to leave the old neighborhood and raising two young children with his grandmother having lost his wife. Cross is smart, but most of all, in the first person parts of the novel, he con...more
Harold Shaver
I've had several of the Alex Cross books in my library for quite some time and just now got around to reading one of them. It was well worth the wait, but I'm kicking myself for not having done it sooner. The series, which is still ongoing, starts out in D.C in the late '90s and the eponymous protagonist is a black detective with a PHD in Psychology and is a specialist in serial killers and other psychotics. A child of the ghetto who overcame all of the hardships and disadvantages that life coul...more
Must you know author? 6 31 13 hours, 23 min ago
the best alex cross book in the series? 47 267 Jun 11, 2014 03:06PM
Alex Cross Movie 14 88 Apr 20, 2014 11:29PM
Best Black Detective of All? 6 42 Apr 17, 2014 05:19PM
Alex Cross Too White? 6 49 Apr 17, 2014 05:14PM
Title of This Book 9 77 Mar 09, 2014 06:36PM
Can he play Alex Cross or Tibbs? 2 20 Nov 14, 2013 02:21PM
  • Fludd
  • Chosen Prey (Lucas Davenport, #12)
  • Boom!
  • Chasing the Dime
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Cruel & Unusual (Kay Scarpetta, #4)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3)
  • Fatal Voyage (Temperance Brennan, #4)
  • Ashes to Ashes (Kovac/Liska, #1)
  • Janet Evanovich Three and Four Two-Book Set (Stephanie Plum, #3-4)
  • Cold Fire / Hideaway / The Key to Midnight
Offical US Site
Offical UK Site
Offical James Patterson Young Adult Site
Offical Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series

The subject of a Time magazine feature called, "The Man Who Can't Miss," James Patterson is the bestselling author of the past year, bar none, with more than 16 million books sold in North America alone. In 2007, one of every fifteen hardcover fiction books sold was a Patter...more
More about James Patterson...
Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2) 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1) The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1) Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas School's Out—Forever (Maximum Ride, #2)

“I never miss a good chance to shut up” 28 likes
“What do you talk about to a murderer, and someone you loved, over a perfect dinner and cocktails? I wanted to know so many things, but I couldn't ask any of the real-questions pounding in my head. Instead, we talked of the coming vacation days, a "plan" for the
here and now in the islands.”
2 likes