Start by marking “Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, Book 1)

Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross #1)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  282,621 Ratings  ·  3,138 Reviews
A missing little girl named Maggie Rose. A family of three brutally murdered in the projects of Washington, D.C. The thrill-killing of a beautiful elementary school teacher. A psychopathic serial kidnapper/murderer who calls himself the Son of Lindbergh. He is so terrifying that the FBI, the Secret Service, and the police cannot outsmart him-even after he's been captured.G ...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2001 by Hachette Audio (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Along Came a Spider, please sign up.

Terri Newman The book is WAY BETTER than the movie. You know how it goes when they make movies! they are never ever like the book!! James Patterson is an excellent…moreThe book is WAY BETTER than the movie. You know how it goes when they make movies! they are never ever like the book!! James Patterson is an excellent writer. Please read the book, and also Kiss the Girls. The movie doesn't even give it justice. ENJOY!!!!(less)
Daniel Huynh Patterson didn't really put much detail on what the 'things' looked like (if that's what you're asking about) but he does describe the actions done…morePatterson didn't really put much detail on what the 'things' looked like (if that's what you're asking about) but he does describe the actions done but very vaguely.(less)

Ryan Gillespie
Sep 17, 2014 Ryan Gillespie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: james-patterson
James Patterson. The man writes a book and you read it. It's plain and simple. He knows how to write a mother-fucking story. This wasn't the first book I read but damn. The dude keeps makin' a brother come back for more. It gets even better when you're reading a book about the REAL OG: Alex Cross.

Short attention span? James Patterson's books come automatically equipped with small chapters.

Enjoy reading before bed? Forget about it. You're laying down in bed, right? HAIL NO. This shit has you on t
Edward Lorn
Nov 10, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No wonder the literary world is polluted with so many shitty writers. They see how well this fucking hack has sold, read his work, and aspire to fucking mediocrity. James Patterson outsells Pulitzer-Prize winning authors, but his writing (I refuse to call this bullshit "prose") is barely one step above motherfucking picture books. He's detrimental to the literate world. Authors and readers alike think this shit is okay. Do you see how many five-star reviews there are on this time sink? Authors a ...more
David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party"
I have been recommending this book for years. Yes, the movie adaptation was terrible…yes, some of the later Alex Cross entries were somewhat weak (I’m looking at you, “Violets Are Blue”). But the first book of the Alex Cross series is still an amazing read. What really made this book work for me was the antagonist, Gary Soneji. He’s chilling and creepy, yet he’s still utterly fascinating. The game of cat-and-mouse between Alex Cross and Gary Soneji is gripping and exciting.

However, the book is n
LJ
ALONG CAME A SPIDER (Police Procedural/US/Cont) – Poor
Patterson, James – 1st in series
Warner Books, 1992- Paperback
The daughter of a famous actress and son of the secretary of the Treasury has been kidnapped. The boy's body is found and the kidnapper demands that Detective Alex Cross be the one to deliver the $10M ransom. The money is taken, but the girl is not returned and Alex joins forces with Jezzie Flanagan, the supervisor of the Secret Service, to find the kidnapper.
*** I had some real pro
Sanjay Gautam
It was a few years back that I read Along Came The Spider. I found the plot is predictable just like those typical Hollywood thriller movies. I could not find the book much engrossing, and was rather disappointed by the climax which was a cliched twist, and ruins whatever was, if any, good in the plot before. It was only the psychopathic villain, Gary Soneji, that appealed to me. Whereas Alex Cross, the detective, was very boring. All in all, it was a below average read which I would not recomme ...more
Mary Statza
Nov 08, 2010 Mary Statza rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, where do I begin? This book inspired me to write a literary review for English class discussing why a a book like this should NEVER have made it onto the bestsellers list.
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS BOOK OR THE ALEX CROSS SERIES, PLEASE DON'T CONTINUE!!
Some major points include:
* Alex Cross is an incredibly boring, cliché, slightly-racist, unrealistic character
* The italicization of random words without regards to taste or context
* Incredible off-putting love scenes
* Boring, repetitive text,
Solim
Jul 06, 2012 Solim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok so I watched the movie starring Morgan Freeman before reading this book which sort of ruined it for me but trust me I learned my lesson. The only thing the movie got right was the name of the characters, and the main theme/plot of the book which was the kidnapping. I could not believe how off the movie was compared to the book, but enough about that. This was probably the most I was engaged into a mystery/thriller/suspense book since I read A Cold Day In Paradise by Steve Hamilton which got m ...more
Lynn
Apr 01, 2012 Lynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This book had a very interesting plot and a decent cover.

That's about it. What a major disappointment this was. I guess it goes to show you just how good an actor Morgan Freeman is. Hell, he drove Ms. Daisy around for two hours and made it seem fun, and he made the movie version of this very watchable. Sadly, he was not around to act out the novel for me.

By the way, the cover isn't really that cool, I was just being polite.
Phrynne
Apr 15, 2014 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few Alex Cross books now and decided it was time I read the very first one to see how it all began. I am very glad I did because I found this to be an excellent book. It has a fast paced and exciting story which has the reader guessing from the first page and then it ends with quite a remarkable twist which I did not see coming. I sat up very late finishing it because I just could not put it down! Altogether a really good read.
Kelsey
Oct 13, 2015 Kelsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bargain-buys
Watched the film ages ago, before reading the book. Initially I was quite shocked at how much the film differed from the book. Then I wondered why they changed it for the film. The book had a much better storyline, deeper and more complex characters and it would have translated well into a film.

As is often the case, the book was better than the film. 5 stars without a doubt.
Benjamin Stahl
Jul 07, 2016 Benjamin Stahl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I get started, let me just say that Along Came A Spider was an incredibly fun and entertaining book.

That’s coming from a former Patterson hater. I’ve only finished one of his other books. If you were to read my thoughts on You’ve Been Warned, which he co-wrote with Howard Roughan, fucking you would know how biased and negative I was regarding Patterson’s work. And look, I consider myself a serious reader and so I won’t sit here and say he’s an amazing talent at his craft. I have read muc
Nicola
Still remains the best James Patterson book I've read to date- even tops the Maximum Ride series. It's exciting, and absolutely terrifying. I honestly had trouble sleeping for a week after reading this. Very powerful storytelling.
Aug 27, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing about library borrowing is that you can check out books that you never would buy. It is actually kind of freeing. And, if there aren't any good books available as ebooks, you can use the opportunity to check out books that you wouldn't have read otherwise. Books such as as Along Came a Spider by James Patterson.

Now, I know that popular fiction is popular for a reason. But these authors who just pump out book after book after book, each book so similar to the last, tend to get tedious.
Jane Stewart
It was well done, but I wasn’t emotionally consumed.

The plot, the events, and actions were very well done. I was surprised and pleased. The book definitely kept my interest. The main reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is because I didn’t smile. I think of Grisham who takes me to the 5 star level. He writes a similar genre, but he makes me smile, either at the intriguing characters, or the “wow that is so exciting” when being chased or trapped or wondering if the hero will survive.

At times I felt im
Laurence
I was going to say that it started of well, but then I realised that it was only because I thought the beginning sucked the least. I mean, if you want to read a story with unbelievably cringe-worthy romance lines, pointless and unnecessary racism and a script that only added to the unrealisticness of the characters, then by all means, throw your money away on this book.
The beginning kept me going for a while because I thought it had a pretty decent storyline (probably the only good point about t
Marnie
Dec 07, 2008 Marnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matt Garcia
May 18, 2015 Matt Garcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taut, suspenseful read with a very efficient writing style. Cross is an endearing character with flaws that we can latch on to and the action is continuous and riveting at times. Very enjoyable novel with interesting characters and thrilling plot. A well-crafted action-laden tale.
Manugw
Sep 29, 2012 Manugw rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a dissapoinment

How can somebody can write a book so boring, after this book I will never choose any Patterson work again
Kathy Davie
Sep 15, 2015 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
For some reason, Amazon refused to post this review, and I can't see why. If anyone can figure it out, let me know.

First in the Alex Cross thriller series and revolving around Alex, a Washington D.C. detective with a background in psychology.

My Take
This is one of the few stories in which the movie adaptation is better. It wasn't until almost the end that Along Came a Spider started to more closely resemble the movie. Yeah, I usually hate it when a movie leaves out so much of the book, but in thi
Josh
Jul 02, 2012 Josh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this because I felt it was necessary to expose myself to some James Patterson before criticizing his work. After reading 100 pages in less than an hour, I realized that it wasn't challenging reading, nor was it thematically complex reading. Alex Cross does not seem like a PhD in psychology, he seems like some advertisers idea of what a PhD in psychology would be like. It is reverse racist; the shifting narratives make these sweeping generalizations from supposedly highly educat ...more
Rita
May 10, 2013 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Este foi o meu primeiro livro da série Alex Cross.
Já tinha lido Private – Missão Jogos Olímpicos (pt-br) e Primeira a morrer – 1º da série clube das investigadoras (pt-pt).

Resolvi, e porque recebi grande parte dos livros de James Patterson em Inglês e em formato para kindle, que a série Alex Cross seria lida na língua original uma vez que em Portugal não se respeita a ordem de saída dos livros e essa é uma das minhas manias – ler por ordem.

Gosto de livros com acção, mistério, perigo, terror e gr
Scott Porch
Mar 20, 2013 Scott Porch rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A reasonably scripted thriller with some cringe-worthy lines that should never have gotten past a high school-educated editor. Alex Cross is a black, working class police detective in Washington, D.C., which was refreshingly different for a hero in a procedural thriller. The story moved along and was not predictable. But that was some crappy writing.

As with the Left Behind series – and, frankly, a lot of other mass-market stuff – the really bad writing was in the short turns of phrases that were
stephanie
the first of the alex cross novels, i was very surprised by the characterization of cross. i guess there is a lot of development over time, but the cross that i was introduced to in mary, mary is only like this cross in a peripheral way - reminded me of bad fanfic. if you think trashy thrillers don't deal with the big issues, like race, this proves you wrong - this whole book is about race and interracial romance and the like. in fact, it beats you over the head with it. which - i didn't even re ...more
Emily
Dec 22, 2015 Emily added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I've put down books before because they couldn't keep my interest, but I think this is the first book where I don't intend to ever pick it back up. I couldn't get past the first few pages. Just, no.
Rajan
Touted as a pathbreakinng novel on a split personality psycho. Maybe it is. But I read it after watching 7 seasons of criminal minds. That may be a reason I am not impressed.
But that is not the only reason. Pace is too slow. The hero Alex Cross is no Sherlock or poirot. James made him black but I don't find any particular reason for that. Soneji the split personality lunatic is too smart to be true.
Detective work is very low grade or non existent. Soneji is caught by luck more than deduction. C
Sep 07, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Gary Murphy or maybe Gary Soneji? An ordinary man with a personality disorder or a very intelligent, methodical, manipulative and sadistic psychopath? THAT is the question ! And trust me...You may even find yourself beginning to doubt your own certainties. ..
Jenny George
3/5 STARS.

(view spoiler)
Jeph Lewis
Apr 09, 2012 Jeph Lewis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because the lead character was name-dropped in an episode of Castle. That, I've come to realize, was one of the worst decisions of my young life.

Nathan Fillion plays charismatic ne'er-do-well Billy Blanks in this murder-mystery turned homoerotic romp. Billy and his life-mate Henry "Walter" Geralds decide to start a Children's bookstore that they name after their favorite line from Little Miss Muffet, Along Came a Spider. At ACaS, the two proprietors are constantly labeled a
Stefan Yates
May 10, 2016 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
For some reason, I stopped reading this series around book 9 or 10. I've continued to purchase them as they are released and my wife has read them all, so I decided that the best thing to do was to start over from the beginning.

This was actually the second Alex Cross (and James Patterson) book that I read. For some reason, I read Kiss the Girls shortly after it's release. I distinctly remembered that Along Came a Spider had a very different feel from Kiss the Girls and most of Patterson's later
Julie
Feb 20, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Patterson fans, people who like thrillers
Recommended to Julie by: Amanda, Holly 1, Meg
Shelves: action-suspense, 2010
Having read several other James Patterson books (from other series), I was interested to see how the first Alex Cross book would compare.

You can definitely tell the difference between this book and the later Pattersons, where he is writing with a co-author and putting out three books a year. This one seemed to have more depth to it and I couldn't blow through it in a day like his more recent works.

I like the character of Alex Cross, but I find him to be volatile and outspoken, sometimes not to h
Why Do People Like Patterson? 10 85 May 10, 2016 12:12PM
James Patterson recommendations 4 22 Apr 14, 2016 06:55AM
2016 Reading Chal...: Along Came a Spider by James Patterson 1 13 Nov 05, 2015 07:57PM
Reading Addicts: November BOTM#1-Along Came a Spider 1 13 Nov 02, 2015 01:41AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Along Came a Spider by James Patterson 2 34 Nov 01, 2015 02:41PM
private inevestigator vs police officer 1 17 May 27, 2015 11:22AM
  • Cruel & Unusual (Kay Scarpetta, #4)
  • Gone (Quincy & Rainie, #5)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2)
  • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
  • Chosen Prey (Lucas Davenport, #12)
  • Janet Evanovich Three and Four Two-Book Set (Stephanie Plum, #3-4)
  • Secrets to the Grave (Oak Knoll, #2)
  • Dexter Is Delicious (Dexter, #5)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • Bones to Ashes (Temperance Brennan, #10)
  • Iron Orchid (Holly Barker, #5)
  • M is for Malice (Kinsey Millhone, #13)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Alex Cross (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2)
  • Jack & Jill (Alex Cross, #3)
  • Cat and Mouse (Alex Cross, #4)
  • Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross #5)
  • Roses are Red (Alex Cross, #6)
  • Violets Are Blue (Alex Cross, #7)
  • Four Blind Mice (Alex Cross, #8)
  • The Big Bad Wolf  (Alex Cross, #9)
  • London Bridges (Alex Cross, #10)
  • Mary, Mary (Alex Cross, #11)

“I never miss a good chance to shut up” 39 likes
“What do you talk about to a murderer, and someone you loved, over a perfect dinner and cocktails? I wanted to know so many things, but I couldn't ask any of the real-questions pounding in my head. Instead, we talked of the coming vacation days, a "plan" for the
here and now in the islands.”
5 likes