One Month to Live: Thirty Days to a No-Regrets Life

One Month to Live: Thirty Days to a No-Regrets Life

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  547 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Take the 30-Days to Live Challenge!

What if you only had one month to live? How would you make each day meaningful? How would you relate to others differently? What would you do to make the rest of your life really matter?

With eye-opening insights and soul-inspiring truths, One Month to Live will challenge you to embrace the life God has entrusted to you and you alone, an...more
Published February 5th 2008 by WaterBrook Press

To ask other readers questions about One Month to Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Month to Live

Jon
Jun 03, 2010 Jon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jon by: Loren Drummond
I'm being generous giving this four stars. It's more like a 3.5 or 3.75 star rating, but I'll be gracious (if you can pardon the pun).

If I compare this to The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth am I Here for?, which I've read multiple times, it pales even more. While not a 'bad' read by any means, it missed the mark with me because I already live this way, as best I can. And, as the authors pointed out in the final chapter, that's the beauty of living, really living, a Christian life - you shou...more
Wendy Alton

"One Month to Live: Thirty Days to a No-Regrets Life," by Kerry and Chris Shook, is a thirty-day challenge as follows: "If you only had one month to live, what would you change."

The book is separated into 4 parts: live passionately, love completely, learn humbly, and leave boldly. The chapters are designed as daily readings through a 30-day month. Both Kerry and Chris Shook write together, and this is what they conclude:

"You have been given an extraordinar...more
Laurie
Jun 02, 2008 Laurie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laurie by: The Journey
This book asked me to make a list of things I would do if I had 30 days left to live. Quit my job, travel the world, and eat ice cream made the list. This book was supposed to help me achieve these things to live life more fully, I guess. But I don't have just 30 days left. I have a lot. and if I quit my job then I'll have no money to travel. And if I eat ice cream a lot, I'll get fat. Hmm. Guess I'm supposed to fill my life with something else that will give me the same high as those things.
Cynthia Mccants
Forget about all of the negative God comments shared in some reviews. Get the message! Really makes you wake up! The analogies alone knocked me off my seat. At one point I couldn't get passed day 5. It wasn't the last place I got stuck. Some of the reality was tough to deal with because it made me deal with stuff I wasn't ready to confront. This book changed my life because I wanted/needed to get perspective. Time is winding up.
Megan Franks
When I first heard about this book, I thought it must be some kind of "scare-people-into-repentance-and/or-righteous-living" by reminding them of their own mortality, so I was disinterested. However, once I got into the book, I didn't really find that to be the case at all. Instead of making a "bucket list" (though, I admit, it does sometimes seem to be doing so), it really asks you to start living more intentionally. Instead of floating through life and crossing off our never-ending "to-do" lis...more
Cheryl
The first Chapter/Intro really got me thinking and tryign to experince things to the fullest and make the most of my time. I found the challenges each day were too much to take in all at once. You would need to read one a week to really make a difference in your life. Some of the last few chapters really made an impact as well, but it was ALOT of things to think about, a little to heavy and the writing style wasnt my type of thing with comparing concepts to ice cream or roller coasters... I real...more
Katie
I read this book as part of a campaign going on at my church. A couple of the sermons were going to be based on it, so I figured - yeah, I can give 30 days to this book.

The book was a little slow for me to get through. Yes, obviously it's a religious book, centered in a life lived with no-regrets through Jesus. Did I take anything life-changing from this book? Not particularly; three years later, I can't give you a single point from the book that changed my life - but that's just my personal exp...more
Gabrielle
It's christian based, Jesus and God are referred too as your guide and answer to a fulfilling existence. Which makes sense, the author is a christian minister. I feel that as long as your mind is open even the non-christian can get something from the reading, as log as you actually take the time to ponder the questions asked and lessons being conveyed.

However I have read better self awakening books. I felt the author assumed that his readers were extremely shallow readers and never had a strugg...more
Ron
I enjoyed reading this book which is written by my Pastor Kerry Shook.

The format is very interesting, you are suppose to read one chapter a day as a daily reading. There are questions to make you think deeper and action steps to help you make it a life style.

The book had an impact on me making me want to be a filmmaker again, something I gave up years ago.

Shook is the metaphor man. Every chapter has a basic metaphor about the subject from sand castles to hurricanes.

I did blog the book almost ev...more
Nicole
It's not that bad...it is very religious...but the ideas or concepts are good. the whole entire thing is you know how everyone always says live as if today is your last...but nobody ever really does...sooo hence the book....it's meant to help you realize or change your way of live so that you live the way you want to live the way you would live if you have one month to live...it starts off a bit slow but the further in the better it gets...and the majority of it is like things that i think we al...more
Kate Hyde
I'm getting tired of Christian books that barely mention the Bible. This book quotes famous people more than it quotes the Word of God.

However, it was a good inspirational book. Really makes you think about your priorities - if you only had one month to live, would you live differently?

The other thing that bothered me is how disjointed the chapters were. Yes, they were organized into sections (Live Passionately, Love Completely, Learn Humbly, Leave Boldly). But within those sections, each chapte...more
Amy R
I really enjoyed this book. It really helped me figure out what was important in my life and what I could do without. I was able to put things into perspective a little better in my life and reminded me that people are important and not to take my family and friends for granted. I really enjoyed that One Month to Live has daily reading and journal writing. The journal writing was specific, which suits me because I am not one to open up and just pour out my heart on paper. I need direction to get...more
Kathleen
May 06, 2011 Kathleen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone looking to have a more meaningful life
This book asks the question, "what would you do if you knew you only had one month to live?". The authors use Jesus as the example and draw four concepts from His final month on earth that they expound on through the course of the book. It's set up as a devotional, where you read one chapter a day for 30 days. Each chapter includes questions designed to help you think more about what you're reading and apply it to your life.

I really liked this book. My whole church participated in this study (we...more
Survivor
I appreciate what an awesome God we serve. Actually following his suggestions has made me see that some of my issues weren't mine at all.
Life is a short part of a long eternity. Make things right ASAP!
Lori
Doug and I are reading this together working through the daily "make it count moments" and the questions about how we might live differently. It is an exciting journey and one with lots of emotion and deep thought required. I think it will take us longer than 30 days to finish the book, but well worth the time. This is an excellent resource for small groups and we have the small group study material if you would like to see it. There is also a DVD set if you are interested.
Joleen
Oct 19, 2008 Joleen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: more
I guess I didn't really go into this book with the right idea. Don't get me wrong, I love the content and even most of the suggestions for how to apply these changes to your life. However, as I read on the book turned into more of a 'come to Jesus' conversation about sinning and not going to hell. I should have guessed that this is where it was heading but I was naive! I still think it has some great ideas, though not original, still a good reminder.
Mrs.navarroツ
Aug 13, 2009 Mrs.navarroツ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that has a life
Shelves: spiritual
I am currently living my life like I only have 30 days to live. It truly is liberating. Every decision I have had to make so far I ask myself, "Is this the choice I would make if I was going to die in 30 days?" I am barely on day 2 and I am so excited to finish it! My 30th day will be September 10th & I know for a fact it will have inspired a new way of daily living.
After all, God never promised us tomorrow. So what are you waiting for?!
Danny
This book changed the direction of me and my husband's life. After the first week, we knew we couldn't stay where we were and be happy or who we were created by God to be. I highly recommend this book.
Mel Mayberry
Interesting reflections on living life to the fullest in the present tense. The authors combine personal anecdotes with their opinions and advice, which makes this book an entertaing read. Combining the food-for-thought chapters with appropriate verses from the Bible leads the reader to a clearer understanding of how a Christian should try to lead her life on a daily basis.
Traceylee81
amazingly inspiring book, even though the "whole new perspective on life" seems obvious, the book offers so much insight into how we live and why, especially when it comes to the relationships we have in our lives.

the book is made to be used for a discussion group, and comes with 2 added workbooks. i would highly recommend this type of forum.
Anne Marie Gazzolo
Wonderful and inspiring ideas of how to live as though you only had a month left even if you have decades to go. The clarity that such would give you to stop doing all the stuff that seems so important but really isn't and focusing on doing the stuff that really is should be practiced by everyone and this book shows you how. Read it!
Tricia
Although a good message to think about in general... Being more intentional in life as if you had that much time to live... I found it to be pretty shallow and cheesy at times.
Rejina
We are going through this book in our Bible Class at church. It's taken us a long time cuz there is good stuff in there! Maybe we will finish it this year, maybe not? ")
Helps me realize what is really important in life. I want to do everything I can to leave a legacy that will last and matter in my families life!
Deborah
I liked how this book emphasizes being in the moment and making one aware of the priorities that matter most in life. Each chapter started with some great quotes. I have always liked this one from an anonymous source: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Carrie
This book really helps you put things into perspective using the context of God's Word. It's a great tool for reflection and you finish the text inspired to live intentionally and with passion, to truly live like you are dying.
I also loved the fantastic quotes the Shooks used in this book!
Joy
Parts of this book really make you stop and take stock of your life. Some parts are more for the young in Christ. I definitely recommend it because we all need to stop and look at where we've been and what kind of legacy we will leave and what we would do if we knew we only had 30 days to live.
Apr 09, 2008 Sarah marked it as to-read
My church is curently reading this book as congregation, and I have enjoyed the meaningful sermons that have come our of the discussions from this book. This is on my list of books to read. This one should be very thought provoking, on how you would live if you only had one month to live...
Susan
Wonderful book about how to get out of the past and stay out of the "someday syndrome" and live each day intentionally as if you only had 30 days to live. Easy read with exercises at the end of each short chapter. Loved this book for helping me put life in perspective.
Mom
I learned that Christianity is a relationship. God created us to live our lives passionately. Slow down and enjoy every moment with the ones you care about. Don't let bitterness, business or burnout keep you from what really counts. Once the moment passes, it is gone forever.
Sheree Thomson
The message is great but the delivery is horrible. I couldn't stand this book with its analogies and patronising (at times) delivery. I know this was such a help to friends of mine but if I hear 'roller coaster' mentioned in describing life one more time.....
Amazing book! A must read! 1 2 Mar 12, 2012 02:11AM
  • When Christ Comes
  • Kissed the Girls and Made Them Cry: Why Women Lose When They Give In
  • One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land
  • The Love Revolution
  • Confessions of a Pastor: Adventures in Dropping the Pose and Getting Real with God
  • Just Walk Across the Room: Simple Steps Pointing People to Faith
  • Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion
  • The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ
  • Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them
  • Ministry of Intercession
  • Sacred Pathways
Love at Last Sight: Thirty Days to Grow and Deepen Your Closest Relationships One Month to Live Devotional Journal: Your Thirty-Day Companion to a No-Regrets Life One Month to Love: Thirty Days to Grow and Deepen Your Closest Relationships One Month to Live One Month to Live Guidebook: To a No-Regrets Life