Start by marking “Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays (Everyman's Library)” as Want to Read:
Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays (Everyman's Library)

Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays (Everyman's Library)

3.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  267 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Miracle plays were a popular form of entertainment throughout the Middle Ages, and part of the poetic and dramatic tradition on which Shakespeare drew. Everyman discovers what you can't take with you when you go. He beseeches in turn friends, family (one pleads 'cramp in my toe'), possessions ('I follow no man in such voyages'), and finally falls back on moral and religiou ...more
Published August 15th 1993 by Everyman Paperback (first published 1508)

To ask other readers questions about Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays

Frankenstein by Mary ShelleyDoctor Faustus by Christopher MarloweAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey ChaucerJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Books I Read At University/College
78th out of 662 books — 91 voters
Animal Farm by George Orwell1984 by George OrwellJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëLes Misérables by Victor HugoA Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Everyman Library Classics
101st out of 152 books — 75 voters

More lists with this book...

T
Aug 30, 2015 T rated it really liked it
Once you get accustomed to the language it's an entertaining but thought provoking read about the inevitability of death for ...every man/woman/child. Death is depicted as a journey that one embarks on suddenly and will never return from - that much we all know. The play also makes an effort to describe what happens after we die, and that is we give an account to God of all the things we did with the life He lent us.

In the same vein the play emphasizes that not only is our very life lent to us f
Nancy
Feb 13, 2014 Nancy added it
backdrop to the backdrop: i am going to salzburg in a few months, so i've been learning about it, so I watched a video about the Salzburg music festival, and saw footage of modern-day performances of the the German version of this medieval play "everyman"--Jedermann. It fascinated me, so i've read the English version of the play, as well as the other mystery plays in the book.
It comes as a shock to remember that one of the values of christianity USED to be that a good Christian was supposed to
Kelli
May 02, 2010 Kelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
I love this play! I love the symbolism, the word usage fascinated me when I first read it for a literature class. My favorite part from it is when God speaks concerning materialism: 'How that all creatures be to me unkind, living without dread in worldly prosperity...In worldly riches is all their mind, they fear not my righteousness the sharp rod.' It is very poignant for this time in our world. How materialistic we have come. It fascinates me that this play was written many many hundreds of ye ...more
Kevin Larsen
Jan 15, 2016 Kevin Larsen rated it it was amazing
Morality Plays using the Bible and Christianity in Medieval times. A very interesting take on how to instill morality onto the public and children.
Sam Pryce
Dec 07, 2015 Sam Pryce rated it really liked it
Quite an adorable and amusing play of a stolen sheep on the night of the nativity.
Holly
Oct 28, 2013 Holly rated it really liked it
Charming and delightful required reading (I love it when that happens). This edition focuses on miracle plays as they were written for performance from the English cycle( from about early 14th to late 16th century). Miracle plays were not only used for entertainment but also as a form of Christian education for laity before literacy, printing and/or state law contributed to decreasing performance although Everyman was still being performed by the end of Elizabeth I reign. This edition is highly ...more
Lizzy
May 02, 2013 Lizzy rated it it was ok
Shelves: wem, plays
This review is only about the Everyman play. I would prefer to see it than read it. It's a good universal message about how short life is and you can't take anything with you. Our lives should be led in a way that serves others (good deeds)and not self.
Hannah
Mar 29, 2012 Hannah rated it liked it
I didn't read all of the plays in this, but I very much liked the Biblical narratives. They were funny and to the point. Everyman was also very enjoyable and had a very universal message. The personification of ideas were applicable to every man. :)
Brian
Jul 23, 2011 Brian rated it did not like it
This is very interesting from the standpoint of development of literature and of the ideas of Christianity at the time. But from a pure enjoyment perspective, it ranks pretty low.
Carl
May 31, 2010 Carl added it
not much to say but that it was class required. i think i saw the wors and did not do the book the justice that it most definitely deserves. may revisit in future but for right now...
Jules
Apr 10, 2016 Jules rated it really liked it
Many of the medieval plays performed at York pageants are included in this collection.
Rick Davis
Aug 14, 2010 Rick Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drama
This was a real treat to read. I'm most definitely going to read it again at some point.
Michael Barry
Apr 26, 2007 Michael Barry rated it really liked it
"Everyman" is one of those stories that captures the essence of human existence.
Jeremy
Aug 12, 2008 Jeremy rated it liked it
better seen than read... directed everyman and loved it so much!
Risa
Jun 10, 2009 Risa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays by A. C. Cawley (1992)
Elizabeth
May 26, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
How can you not love Noah's wife refusing to get on board?
Dwayne Coleman
Dwayne Coleman rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Asher Raboy
Asher Raboy marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Thebraveulysses
Thebraveulysses marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Brigid
Brigid added it
May 06, 2016
Paul Thomson
Paul Thomson rated it did not like it
May 06, 2016
Mirabelle
Mirabelle marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Ines Cufflin
Ines Cufflin rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Ness Thompsett
Ness Thompsett rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Heddwen Creaney
Heddwen Creaney rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Jeanene
Jeanene marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
  • The Cid / Cinna / The Theatrical Illusion
  • The Book of Margery Kempe
  • The Portable Medieval Reader
  • The Travels of Sir John Mandeville
  • Middle English Lyrics
  • Chronicles
  • Three Jacobean Tragedies: The White Devil; The Revenger's Tragedy; The Changeling
  • Selected Poems and Two Plays
  • Poetry of the Thirties
  • The School for Scandal and Other Plays
  • Medieval Russia's Epics, Chronicles, and Tales
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature: v. 1
  • Four Major Plays of Chikamatsu
  • The Romance of Arthur, New, Expanded Edition: An Anthology of Medieval Texts in Translation
  • Silence
  • Four Comedies: The Braggart Soldier; The Brothers Menaechmus; The Haunted House; The Pot of Gold
  • Complete Works
  • The Shoemaker's Holiday
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...