Start by marking “How to Grow a Young Reader” as Want to Read:
How to Grow a Young Reader

How to Grow a Young Reader

In an age of electronic games, TV, videos, and the Internet…You can raise a book lover.

Reading opens up a lifetime of learning and delight to children. In How to Grow a Young Reader, Kathryn Lindskoog and Ranelda Mack Hunsicker offer suggestions for creating a reader-friendly home, truths about how literature strengthens character development, and helpful strategies for
Published June 18th 2002 by Shaw Books (first published April 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about How to Grow a Young Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Grow a Young Reader

Lisa Munoz
Mar 02, 2011 Lisa Munoz rated it really liked it
I think the title of this book is a bit deceptive. I gathered it would be about finding ways to encourage your child to read and grow to love it. Instead I found a fascinating book chock full of suggestions of wonderful read-alouds and children's books. There are suggestions for Classic literature all the way up to the copyright date of the book.

I think what thrilled me the most about this book was that many of the suggested books also included brief biographies about the author. What inspired t
Kayla
Nov 17, 2014 Kayla added it
Albeit a bit outdated now, this book has a thorough list of books, old and new(er... the book was revised and updated in 2002). The resource list will help me compile books I might not have found otherwise -- books for read-alouds in particular. I don't think my 2 year old is quite ready for chapter books on his own. :)
Hope
This book was just okay in comparison to some other excellent resources: Honey for a Child's Heart, Books Children Love, Books that Build Character, Children of a Greater God, etc.

P.S. As much as we'd like to think so, there is no secret formula for creating voracious readers. We followed all the tips with our children and half of them love to read. And half of them don't.
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2011
Robert Donahue
Robert Donahue rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Lnc
Lnc rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2012
Maha Maha
Maha Maha rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Kelly H. (Maybedog) rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
HippieMommy
HippieMommy is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2007
K
K added it
Mar 27, 2011
Sheri
Sheri added it
May 21, 2012
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Eldon Siemens
Eldon Siemens marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Kristina
Kristina is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2015
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Connie
Connie added it
Aug 26, 2015
Austin Kearns-Bellamy
Austin Kearns-Bellamy marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Kari
Kari added it
Feb 27, 2016
Anita
Anita added it
May 03, 2016
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2016