Start by marking “iPod & iTunes: Missing Manual” as Want to Read:
iPod & iTunes: Missing Manual

iPod & iTunes: Missing Manual

The iPod is the world's bestselling music player. But if you think that it's just a music player, then you must think Clark Kent is just a newspaperman.

In this freshly updated edition, New York Times tech columnist J. D. Biersdorfer blows open the secret doors of this gleaming, chrome-and-white beauty. With humor and authority, she lays bare an astonishing collection of us
Paperback, Second Edition, 360 pages
Published February 9th 2004 by Pogue Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about iPod & iTunes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about iPod & iTunes

Scott
I'm just a casual user of my 30gig video iPod, and had run across a few things that I couldn't intuitively figure out how to do. I ran across this at the library and gave it a shot. I found the parts dealing with my particular equipment to be well-written and fairly clear, although I still had to do some experimentation to get my iPod to do what the instructions said it should do. The sections dealing with other technology (such as the iPod Touch) were extraneous to me, and therefore something o ...more
Rachel
Dec 06, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my dad
I'm pretty good with technology, and although I sometimes like to read manuals I usually figure out a lot of a machine's functionality on my own, just by experimenting and using logic. I thought I was getting all I could out of my iPod. I was wrong.

I learned about a LOT of cool and interesting tricks and uses for the iPod from this "manual", and a lot of stuff that hadn't come up yet, but that I might actually need down the line.

There was also a lot of stuff that I already knew and that I can't
Cherlyn
Apr 26, 2009 Cherlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, this is an unusual post, but if you're like me, i.e. "older" and trying hard to keep up with technology, you'll love this book. I love my iPod, but always have to call my son in Arizona and have him walk me through my iPod issues (just ask him, there have been quite a few). When you buy an iPod, they come with zero instructions, except maybe a website you can go to. I was determined to find something like iPod for Dummies and found this instead at my used book store for $5. I can now navigat ...more
Leigh
Dec 30, 2008 Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Pretty good, actually. Simple explanations, good photographs and fits in my purse, so I can bring out my Ipod and this book and learn on the go. I would have liked a list of web sites relevant to iPods but that's a small nitpick. I think this is probably the best title of the various titles offered on the Apple iPod.
Linda
May 26, 2010 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, computers
Fortunately, I didn't buy this, but I did read it at the library. Unlike the Missing Manual book for OS X, this one was fairly useless. There isn't much there that can't be learned simply by hands on experience. There's little for the advanced user.

For an ipod and itunes neophyte it might have value but for anyone else, save your time and money.
Joe
Feb 22, 2008 Joe rated it really liked it
It helped me learn a lot of neat tricks for my Ipod.
C-Nat
Feb 12, 2009 C-Nat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is extremely insightful. I am on my third ipod and have learned so many cool features since reading this book.
I read an earlier edition that featured the iPod I had just bought...it has the same title as this book, but I guess this is an updated version.
Shari
Aug 29, 2011 Shari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
This has been the best book for learning everything about my iPod!
PWRL
Sep 05, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
A
Alyson
May 25, 2009 Alyson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice intro book. Most of it you can figure out by playing around with iTunes and your iPod. However, there are a couple of tricks that one can pick up.
Andrea Szabo
Andrea Szabo rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2010
Jason
Jason rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2014
Cameron Copper
Cameron Copper rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2014
Kenneth Cotugno
Kenneth Cotugno rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Mark Fallon
Mark Fallon rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2007
Alice
Alice rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Saurabh
Saurabh rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2009
Sisp4c_percyleung
Sisp4c_percyleung rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2010
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2008
Duncan McPherson
Duncan McPherson rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Elizabeth Hagan
Elizabeth Hagan rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Sis_p5ytszming
Sis_p5ytszming rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2009
Michael Nichols
Michael Nichols rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Mary Ann
Mary Ann rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
ARW54
ARW54 rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Andrea Szabo
Andrea Szabo rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2010
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
A military brat, Biersdorfer has lived in eight U.S. states, including such diverse locales as a nuclear-missile base in North Dakota; Washington, D.C.; and rural Indiana.
A member of the newsroom technology staff at "The New York Times," she was heavily involved with the recent conversion of the Sunday Times Magazine to a desktop publishing system.
Coming from a non-technical background herself, Bi
More about J.D. Biersdorfer...

“jd.biersdorfer@gmail.com” 0 likes