Start by marking “Great Ball of Light” as Want to Read:
Great Ball of Light

Great Ball of Light

A pulsing ball of light launches a host of undeadly adventures in this slightly macabre, slightly irreverent, hugely fun look at what two kids will do to make their family whole again, from the author of The Last Invisible Boy.

When twin brother and sister Fenton and Fiona find a ball of light in their backyard, things get weird. Especially when Fenton figures out it can br
Published March 10th 2015 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published August 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Great Ball of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Ball of Light

Echo by Pam Muñoz RyanThe War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker BradleyFish In A Tree by Lynda Mullaly HuntCircus Mirandus by Cassie BeasleyGoodbye Stranger by Rebecca Stead
2016 Mock Newbery
86th out of 92 books — 348 voters
The Husband's Secret by Liane MoriartyWaiting for Unicorns by Beth HautalaSometimes Never, Sometimes Always by Elissa Janine HooleFirefly Lane by Kristin HannahThe Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe by Mary Simses
Glass Jar Covers
32nd out of 96 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Julia Erlanger
Jun 17, 2015 Julia Erlanger rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
In a word: Meh.

This book seemed so intriguing and hilarious from the jacket blurb. A giant floating ball of light appears in the Montana farmhouse backyard of Fiona and Fenton, fraternal twins and mischief makers. They use the ball of light (accidentally at first) to bring things back from the dead, with predictably amusing consequences. Seems hilarious, right? Magic, small-town charm, zombies, perfect middle grade humorous fiction.

It just...never grabbed me. Major plot points came and went too
Agatha
Jun 28, 2015 Agatha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I loved how it was written like a young girl was writing a story. It's so unique and really made the book more quirky and personal.

Fiona and Fenton were really cool. They acted just like kids would it this situation. And having Fiona narrate the book was a good move in my opinion because girls aren't usually the main characters in books like this.

I loved the message this book sent out. How family is important, and so is free will.

Another that really stood out to me -in a good way- was how Fiona
Jackie
During a freakish and powerful thunderstorm, twins Fiona and Fenton find a curiosity. A great ball of light appears and it pulses its way through an old maple tree on their family farm. Miraculously, the trees soon bursts with life and in all its glory with new growth and leaves, the twins start brewing a plan...if the great ball of life could bring back a dead tree, what else could be brought back to life?

Beginning with small creatures such as spiders and mice, they move onto their beloved dog
Emily
May 19, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
I reviewed this book for Creative Kids Magazine.
Sometimes you just need a second chance at life.
And that’s exactly what Grandpa Wade, Scruffy the dog, and an assortment of small creatures get when Fiona and Fenton discover a strange ball of light. After lightning strikes their yard on a farm called Bluebird Acres in Deerwood, Montana, a pulsing orb of light appears from the ground. The twins run the ball through a series of experiments (some effective, some not) and realize that it is capable of
Christina
Jul 26, 2015 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: children, paranormal
I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to the 10+ crowd, but with reservations, mostly due to the last third of the book. Other than that, it's quite a thought-provoking tale of two siblings, free will and redemption told in the voice of an intellectually precocious 12-year-old girl who holds nothing back.

(view spoiler)
Peggy Dynek
May 26, 2015 Peggy Dynek rated it really liked it
Fiona and Fenton are twelve-year old twins who spend quite a bit of time alone on the Montana farm they share with their father. During a storm, the twins encounter a miraculous ball of light they capture in a jar. Budding scientists, the twins quickly discover the ball has life-giving powers. The question then arises, how and where shall this ball of light be used? The more the ball is used, the bigger questions arise. There are descriptions of dead animals, bugs, and people, but they are not ...more
Laura Phelps
Oct 26, 2015 Laura Phelps rated it liked it
Shelves: possiblemsba2015
I had a really hard time believing that a ball of lightning could bring dead beings (insects, dogs, people) back to life. Although I liked Fiona’s voice and the fact that this book was written as her scientific notebook, the author just didn’t convince me that this was plausible. Kid readers might not have the same issue, and I think the zombified dog and grandpa will be entertaining to some; the family dynamics add a level of seriousness to an otherwise rather wacky story.
Nadine
Oct 04, 2015 Nadine rated it liked it
Well....the sort was really imaginative and the characters very likable....but it had A LOT of loose ends to it. I'm talking not just a little. The meaning of the story was great though....good book for all ages . Makes you think about how we should be and act in life. Happy Reading
Kirsten
May 09, 2016 Kirsten rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Very cool premise- I loved the narrator and the quirky characters. I was a bit disappointed by the ending as I don't feel it matched the potential of the premise. Fun read, though.
Lauren
Pretty morbid. Deals with some issues of broken family/alcoholism/bringing your dead grandfather back to life in a lighthearted way.
Beth
Apr 29, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
I got this book as an ARC from NCTE and just had a chance to read it. It was a nice change from the books I've read recently - no extreme sadness or questionable topics. Easy, fantasy read.
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Eric Bengtson
Eric Bengtson rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Evan Myer
Evan Myer rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Brad
Brad rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Bridgette
Bridgette rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
SacredScarab
SacredScarab rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2015
Cozen
Cozen rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2015
deranged kitty ❤
Jun 19, 2016 deranged kitty ❤ rated it really liked it
p cool
Deuane
Deuane rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Erin LaMar
Erin LaMar rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
paul roberts
paul roberts rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Martha
Martha rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Poornima
Poornima rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2015
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Nancy Kotkin
Nancy Kotkin rated it it was ok
Feb 14, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2015
Jill Cd
Jill Cd rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Angelic
Angelic rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Francine Poulet Meets the Ghost Raccoon (Tales from Deckawoo Drive #2)
  • Confessions of an Imaginary Friend
  • Grave Images
  • Ms. Rapscott's Girls
  • Tiger Boy
  • Nettie and Nellie Crook: Orphan Train Sisters
  • The League of Beastly Dreadfuls (The League of Beastly Dreadfuls, #1)
  • The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher
  • Home Sweet Horror
  • The Accidental Afterlife of Thomas Marsden
  • Zombie Kid (Case File 13, #1)
  • The Last of the Spirits
  • Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)
  • A Dragon's Guide to the Care and Feeding of Humans