Start by marking “A Guide to Bars and Nightlife in the Sacred City” as Want to Read:
A Guide to Bars and Nightlife in the Sacred City

A Guide to Bars and Nightlife in the Sacred City

"I was traveling across America, and then Europe, and then Russia, and then the Middle East," author Benjamin Wachs says of these 26 remarkable tales, "waking up each morning not knowing which city I would fall asleep in. Cities became pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, connecting in ways that you could not see on a map, to reveal the secret order of the universe." While these ...more
Published November 8th 2013 by Cary Tennis

To ask other readers questions about A Guide to Bars and Nightlife in the Sacred City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Guide to Bars and Nightlife in the Sacred City

Bonnie Cehovet
Sep 25, 2014 Bonnie Cehovet rated it it was amazing
Who is Benjamin Wachs? To appreciate this work, we need to know this. He is a bar columnist for the San Francisco Weekly, his work has been published in Village Voice Media, and on National Public Radio, hehas lived in a Buddhist monastery in India, been a freelance reporter for Playboy.com, and traveled around the world.

What exactly is the Sacred City? Is it San Francisco? Is it London? Is it New Delhi? Think bigger. Wachs talks about cities as pulsing with rough love. And that if we tape enoug
Kate
Mar 20, 2016 Kate rated it it was ok
Recommended to Kate by: Litkit
A collection of short stories mostly about alcohol and sex, not surprising given the title. If this is what you like to read about, perhaps you'll enjoy it. I didn't pick this book for myself, it was given to me. These are not my favorite topics but I opened the book open-minded. I just didn't like the writing style and stories were just okay for me.
Favorite story: Thanatos Cuisine

First 2 sentences of first story:
Venice is easy to get lost in. Like any Medieval city, it was designed or people wh
Tara
Mar 19, 2016 Tara rated it liked it
Some of the stories made me cringe with their portrayal of women, but overall I'd definitely rec some of these short stories to friends. Some spoke to things most people like to forget or ignore and those hit like a gut-punch.
Kate
Nov 10, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
A formidable collection of short stories, characters and tones. My personal cornerstone of the lot is I Don't Know, as it touched far too close to home. There are as many guffaws as tears here. Highly recommended.
Stuart
Stuart rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Kristen Bezner
Kristen Bezner rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2016
Sondra Carr
Sondra Carr rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Brent
Brent rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Dav
Mar 30, 2014 Dav rated it really liked it
Some of the stories in this collection are bracingly good, many are delightful.
Felicity Graham
Felicity Graham rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Keight
Keight rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Petrina
Petrina marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Meeshelle
Meeshelle marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Elbe
Elbe marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Ironocker
Ironocker marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Angelica
Angelica is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2014
A.C. Smyth
A.C. Smyth marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Justine Ten
Justine Ten marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Matt Peters
Matt Peters marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Mike Abrams
Mike Abrams marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Rabbit
Rabbit is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2016
Kriszi
Kriszi marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Bonnie Zhou
Bonnie Zhou marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2016