Start by marking “Elder Rage, or Take My Father...Please! How to Survive Caring for Aging Parents” as Want to Read:
Elder Rage, or Take My Father...Please! How to Survive Caring for Aging Parents

Elder Rage, or Take My Father...Please! How to Survive Caring for Aging Parents

ELDER RAGE (print, audio, Kindle/Nook) is a Book-of-the-Month Club selection (caregiving first) receiving 500+ 5-Star Amazon reviews, 50+ endorsements including Regis Philbin, Leeza Gibbons, John Hopkins Memory Clinic: www.ElderRage.com/Review.asp, required reading at numerous universities for courses in geriatric assessment and management, and considered for a film.

ELDER
Audiobook
Published March 2012 by Impressive Press (first published April 2001)

Be the first to ask a question about Elder Rage, or Take My Father...Please! How to Survive Caring for Aging Parents

Cheryl C
Aug 18, 2008 Cheryl C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned that my in-laws are not the only hard to manage senior citizens. So many of the problems we are having with them have parallels in this book. The book is extremely well written and I couldn't put it down once I started to read it. I liked the humorous style and it made a difficult situation more easily understood. There are also excellent suggestions and resources listed in the final section of the book. A must read for caregivers of elderly relatives.
Judie
Nov 26, 2008 Judie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish this book; ran out of time before Christmas. I found it hilariously true; meaning that while the situation described is difficult, there is comedy in the difficulty. I related to the problems. I also got a headache as I read and found the reality of it distressing. That is probably because I am a care giver myself, so it hit home with me.
Jan 18, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read. Since it was for class, I was very happy that there was humor and that I found myself wanting to keep reading. If you are dealing with an older adult family member with a recent diagnosis of Alzheimer's or Dementia, or if you have found yourself to be their caretaker, this is a good book to make you feel less alone.
Joyce
Mar 25, 2007 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for those who are caring for elderly parents or have loved ones who suffer from memory loss, dementia. The author suddenly finds she must care for her aging parents and is ill prepared to do so. At the end of her story, the author shares her lessons and valuable to do lists.
Anna Rogstad
great book, really enjoyed reading this book. the author shows alot of love and compassion for her parents.
Sago
Aug 13, 2008 Sago rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good read for anyone that has parents or grandparents dealing with dementia and helps understanding lots of the transitions.
Bridget
Feb 16, 2011 Bridget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good insight into the role of caregivers and the stress that they are under
Elli
May 22, 2012 Elli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've found ELDER RAGE to be most helpful during my time with a difficult and aging father. My situation was somewhat similar to Ms. Marcell's, although the information within the book can easily be applied to any family dynamic. The humor made the entire subject easier to take and the information was quite helpful. Have recommended ELDER RAGE to family and friends, all of whom have been helped by it. Thank you, Ms. Marcell, for coming forward at a time when it wasn't so common to do so and armin ...more
Karen
Jul 11, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tremendously Good & Surprisingly Funny Read!
“Elder Rage” helped me so much through my mother's dementia, as it gave me great peace of mind to know the array of emotions that wreak havoc with your world are normal and others feel the same way. I usually forget what I read quickly, but the lessons and love of “Elder Rage” have stuck with me. I passed it to a friend going through it with her father and it helped her so much with self-doubt and what to do. I recommend it to anyone, whether you a
Maureen
Jun 27, 2012 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I read it about ten years ago and I recommend it to everyone I know who has anything to do with the elderly, whether they have Alzheimer's or not. It will make you laugh and make you cry. It's honest, moving, and an eye-opener into the world of Alzheimer's. All caregivers should read it, whether you have a family member with Alzheimer's or volunteer with the elderly as many of us do. It's a keeper!

Maureen Madore
Angie Butler
May 22, 2012 Angie Butler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book saved me from a nervous breakdown. It helped me laugh at my situation with my Mother. And also helped me by giving me great tips. If you are a caregiver of someone with dementia it is wonderful .
Judy Croome
Dec 22, 2011 Judy Croome rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My father had stroke induced vascular dementia for over 8 years, leaving us devastated at his mental and personality loss long before we lost him physically to death in February 2012. My mother and I were his primary care-givers through all the inexorable changes in his behaviour that this disease afflicts on its sufferers over the long, painful years. At the time I read ELDER RAGE, I approached it as a reader with a sincere desire to be helped through what was a sad and heart-breaking experienc ...more
Lynn Simmons
Jan 26, 2013 Lynn Simmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading a number of books on Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia to help understand what is happening with my mother. This book helped to put some of that reading in perspective. I know not everyone would enjoy the humor, but humor is how I get through some of the events with my mother. And many of the behaviors of my mother are similar to Jackie's dad. A tough time for all concerned. The book has a lot of suggestions and sources for information that make for a good starting poin ...more
Jacqueline Marcell
Mar 22, 2012 Jacqueline Marcell rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Announcement: I recently recorded ‘Elder Rage’ and it is now available exclusively at Amazon and Audible Books. I am honored it is a Book-of-the-Month Club selection receiving 50+ endorsements (ElderRage.com/Review.asp), 500+ 5-Star Amazon reviews, required reading at numerous universities, and considered for a film.

-Jacqueline Marcell, Author/Publisher, 'Elder Rage', Host 'Coping with Caregiving' Radio Show, International Speaker on Eldercare/Alzheimer's
M.K. Czerwiec
Nov 14, 2012 M.K. Czerwiec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a nurse and also work in Medical Humanities where stories of illness and caregiving are highly valued. So I speak from professional as well as personal experience when I say listening to ‘Elder Rage’ helped me cope with my own challenging elderly family members – and as a result I've grown much more patient with them. Highly recommended for everyone from the family to the physician. Thank you Jacqueline!

Lany Kay
Jul 06, 2012 Lany Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased ‘Elder Rage’ for a friend taking care of a parent, but as I thumbed through I was immediately hooked and could not put it down! The story is poignant and comical, including great insights and resources for dealing with dreaded dementia. I highly recommend it!
Lany Kay Martell,REALTOR
Rush & Associates Realty,
Robson Ranch, Arizona,
MartellHomes4Sale.com

Jacqueline Marcell
Announcement: I also recorded ‘Elder Rage’, available at Amazon and Audible Books. I am honored it is a Book-of-the-Month Club selection receiving 50+ endorsements (ElderRage.com/Review.asp), 500+ 5-Star Amazon reviews, required reading at numerous universities, and considered for a film.

-Jacqueline Marcell, Author/Publisher, 'Elder Rage', International Speaker Eldercare/Alzheimer's
Alison Gates
Obviously self-published, riddled with grammatical errors and nonsensical soliloquies. However, the ending was VERY informative - if I could cut the last few chapters and hand them to anyone I know with an aging loved one, I would.
Jenni
Sep 30, 2012 Jenni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was a good read, though I found that the Hollywood references became tiresome in a hurry and wished she would have just told the story without them. I was looking for practical advice, and there was some good, actionable advice about elder care included.
Heather
Oct 28, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Great story. Really motivates you to plan ahead and buy long-term care insurance. That and fight the system!
Cheri
Dec 20, 2013 Cheri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A few good tips & humorous stories, but writing style was poor and could have been parsed substantially.
Shirley
Aug 25, 2012 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An honest and heart wrenching story of the sacrifices necessary to properly care for our aging parents. A real eye opener in regards to the costs, both in dollars and emotion.
Mykael Ray
Nov 01, 2016 Mykael Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me right after my Mother was diagnosed with dementia, and little did I know how helpful it would be. Everything about this book was great. The writing was engaging, really driving the story telling, all without losing the potency of any of the facts. I'm so glad to have had read this BEFORE things got bad. Highly recommend!
Brenda
Oct 17, 2016 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story certainly helps caregivers understand they are not the only ones dealing with difficult elder parents. What I found hard to read was the author's style of writing. The constant references to movies, songs, and TV shows were a real distraction to the story and I found them to be quite irritating. This was more a book about an abusive father and husband, and the author's caregiver journey was heightened and treacherous because of it.
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd say it was "humorous", if I wasn't dealing with a similar (yet not as advanced) situation..... Her father's psychotic dementia induced rages were not funny.... They were frightening.

From her webpage:
"Are You At Your Wit's End
With Elder Care
And coping with an elderly loved one who:

• Makes unreasonable demands, wanting all of your time?
• Is experiencing memory loss or dementia / Alzheimer’s?
• Is obsessed with ill health, but refuses to see the doctor?
• Has become depressed, manipulative, distr
Wilhelmina
Although the premise of the book was admirable, the constant references to the entertainment industry was very tiresome. We get it.......she was in the entertainment industry in one form or another, and she must have watched a lot of television and seen a lot of movies and listened to a lot of songs, and knew lots about lives of people in that industry. But for those of us who just want to read a book about someone's family, these references were not necessary and the book could have been "tight ...more
Pat
Jul 21, 2013 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone caring for an aging loved one.
Recommended to Pat by: A Facebook friend
A good book and helpful resource. Initially, when I started reading it, I wasn't sure I was going to like it as the author seemed to make a lot of jokes that felt like they distracted from the story. However, I got used to her style and saw it as part of her, having spent time working in the media and around performers.

The author details her experience caring for two aging parents in various stages of dementia, her father's being the worst. Hence, the book title.

Anyone caring for an aging love
Laura Wood
Jan 16, 2014 Laura Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous book for caregivers full of useful life hacks

If you are a caregiver this book could SAVE YOUR LIFE! Helpful and Entertaining: Wonderful book for caregivers

Once I found time to read this wonderful book, couldn't put it down. Not only is it informative, it is well written and entertaining.

I've been a full time caregiver since 2000 + prior pt (assisted father with care of Mother since 1994 until his death in1999) . I am currently caring for Mother who survived 2 strokes (Max assi
Elaine C. Pereira
Sep 02, 2013 Elaine C. Pereira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jacqueline Marcell's book Elder Rage rings so true for caregivers everywhere! I know, I've been there too! Elder Rage is honest and humorous, on point while "on the potty," helpful and hilarious all at the same time. Although often presented with an uplifting perspective, Jacqueline's virtually never ending drama with her dad with Alzheimer's was very real and personal. Laughing while crying is a survival technique very common with caregivers.

Under the layers of laughter, however, is a "how to"
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Learning to Speak Alzheimer's: A Groundbreaking Approach for Everyone Dealing with the Disease
  • Not Quite Adults: Why 20-Somethings Are Choosing a Slower Path to Adulthood, and Why It's Good for Everyone
  • The Invisible Computer: Why Good Products Can Fail, the Personal Computer Is So Complex, and Information Appliances Are the Solution
  • Coping with Your Difficult Older Parent: A Guide for Stressed Out Children
  • The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People with Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss in Later Life
  • Conquering Your Quarterlife Crisis: Advice from Twentysomethings Who Have Been There and Survived
  • To-Do List: From Buying Milk to Finding a Soul Mate, What Our Lists Reveal About Us
  • Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog: The Quirky History and Lost Art of Diagramming Sentences
  • Emmeline
  • Granite Island: Portrait of Corsica
  • Amazing Baby: The Amazing Story of the First Two Years of Life
  • Opium Season: A Year on the Afghan Frontier
  • Is It Me or My Meds?: Living with Antidepressants
JACQUELINE MARCELL barely survived as a caregiver to her (once-adoring) 'challenging' father and sweet mother, both with Alzheimer’s undiagnosed for over a year. But after fighting through the medical system and depleting her parents’ life savings and much of her own, she figured everything out medically, behaviorally, socially, legally, financially and emotionally.

Passion to save others (especial
More about Jacqueline Marcell...