Start by marking “There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!” as Want to Read:
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!

There was an old lady who's ready for school!
That lovely old lady has returned just in time for the first day of school. Now she's swallowing items to make the very best of her first day back. And just in time for the bus...
With rhyming text and funny illustrations, this lively version of the classic song will appeal to young readers with every turn of the page--a fun st
Unknown Binding, 32 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by Scholastic (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!

April Thompson
Dec 20, 2014 April Thompson rated it liked it
Just in time for Christmas
Heidi
Jan 27, 2009 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 4 and up
Another book in this popular series, I discovered this one at a bookstore while browsing. Of course, the old lady is at it again when she swallows a bell. Why did she swallow the bell? The old lady won't tell. She then continues to swallow various items, such as some bows, gifts, a sack and even a sleigh! The audience will no doubt guess what the old lady is up to. A light and funny read-aloud story to share at Christmas.
Stephanie Smoot
Apr 23, 2010 Stephanie Smoot rated it it was amazing
The same old lady is back again swallowing varies items but with a Christmas or Holiday theme. Great rhyming book as well as sequencing book to use in literacy lessons.
Briana
Sep 11, 2016 Briana rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This series of books are so zany, funny, and upbeat that any kid would enjoy the storyl ine. My students love the pictures in the books as they show exactly what is being described. This can be a learning experience for children who have never visited a beach. For those who have it can be an extension to their experience. I would use this book for various lessons. For example reading this book and having many of the real and found objects from this book would be amazing. I can have the children ...more
David
Dec 12, 2011 David rated it liked it
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell! by Lucille Colandro, illustrated by Jared Lee follows the hungry old lady in a Christmastime themed tale.

The hungry old lady swallows a bell, bows, gifts, a sack, a sleigh, and some reindeer! Why did she swallow the bell? The old lady won't tell. She's about to swallow a candy cane for dessert, when she hears a jolly "Ho! Ho! Ho!" Santa Claus is waiting for a ride! Then she whistles....

The humorous rhyming text has repetition and provides sequencing p
Christina Fonner
Mar 29, 2015 Christina Fonner rated it liked it
Shelves: book-selection
This is a cute book because I believe there is a song related to this story which would be fun to sing in the classroom on the music days. This old lady who swallowed a bell, then the reindeer and Santa's sack of all the toys ends up saving the day. It would be a fun book to read to a child around Christmas time.
Pam
Dec 18, 2014 Pam rated it liked it
This book was both cute and gross at the same time, which probably makes it perfect for some of the kids in your life. The idea of swallowing an entire sled just is a bit over the top and then belching everything out makes this book better suited to many kids rather than their parents. Not a holiday classic for me!
Kathleen Dixon
Dec 10, 2014 Kathleen Dixon rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s, christmas
Another take on 'there was an old woman who swallowed a fly', and one of two we got from the library with a Christmas theme. This one had an odd ending, i.e. it deviated from the pattern.
Jenn
Dec 22, 2014 Jenn rated it really liked it
These books are all hilarious and perplexing (I actually asked one class of 1st graders how the sleigh got back OUT of her belly...it lead to a lot of giggling).
Miss Sarah
Mar 12, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swallowed
Not my favorite in the series about an old lady who swallows a bell and numerous other things then whistles and out pops Santa and his sleigh.
Paula
Jun 07, 2016 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Because our Christmas schedule was so off, I read some of these books when we came back. My kinders loves them.
T.E. Antonino
Aug 13, 2015 T.E. Antonino rated it it was amazing
I love the imagination that went into creating these stories.
Second Street
This book helped us learn about rhythm and rhyme!
AshleyiSee
Feb 25, 2009 Linzi Wilkinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-catalog
Genre: Picture book

Reading Level: grade 1-3

Topics & Themes:This book is a rhyming book. It's setting is at Christmas time.

Curricular Use: I would use this book to illustrate rhyming within children's literature in a read aloud or shared reading.

Social: This book talks about the Christmas holiday and Santa Claus.

Literary Elements: Uses rhyming throughout the book and a lot of humor!

Text & Pictures: This book uses great illustrations to express the text
Dolly
Dec 23, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read several books in the There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed... series by this author and illustrator team. The stories are pretty predictable and sometimes a bit forced, but they are entertaining for young children. And it's fun to see the same old lady have all kinds of crazy adventures. We enjoyed listening to this book read aloud on an audio CD, while we followed along with the book.
Whitney Strickland
For such a catchy title, I was not that impressed with the story. Although I can see how young children like the parts where they can join in , I still would have liked a little more explanation to what happens to the bell! As soon as I got finished reading to the class; the kids wanted an explanation to parts of the story that were left out. Just my thoughts.
Kristy Schwertfeger
Mar 01, 2011 Kristy Schwertfeger rated it really liked it
Shelves: stages
This book is just like "The old lady who swallowed some leaves." The children think it is funny and love guessing what is going to happen next. These books are also great because there are a lot of different types, and they can be in the classroom at different times of the year. This one is good for Christmas time!
Leann
Dec 29, 2010 Leann rated it really liked it
Another in the series of Old Lady Who books... I read and reread these to my preschool class and while they are not my favorite books the students love them and I have started to build some curriculum around these books. They are great for pre readers who want to be able to "read" the book themselves.
Katie
Jun 29, 2011 Katie added it
nice book for some counting and predicting and even some nearness questions. I did not like santa clause being there at the end of the book, I have children in my class that do not have a family belief in santa clause, that and I feel like santa clause can be viewed as being dishonest to children.
Fredrick Danysh
Feb 18, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-ya
A chapter book for children around the first grade reading level. It is written in the Dr. Seuss format and tells the story of an old woman who swallows things related to Christmas. My grand-niece enjoyed it immensely when I read it to her.
Kelci Cox-Griswold
Mar 22, 2013 Kelci Cox-Griswold rated it it was ok
The old lady swallows a bell. She then swallows numerous things to go with it. Eventually she whistles and it all comes back out. I didn't really like this book, but it would be good to read with young kids because of the repitition.
Amy
Dec 20, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-book
The kids at storytime (ages 0-5) loved this. I made up little pictures of each thing the old lady swallowed and when she swallowed the item in the book, the kids could 'feed' the old lady I had made. They made me read this story 3 times
Jan 30, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This book is so funny, students will love it. An old lady swallows all things related to Christmas and almost ruins Christmas. But then Santa comes to help out. This would be a great read aloud before the winter break.
Cristina
Humorous, good story for a storytime. Two minuses though: I didn't care for the illustrations, and the ending seemed illogical, it just came out of nowhere as if the author didn't have a better way to end things.
Ron
Dec 23, 2013 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
Our extended family (about 20 people) each read a page out of this book using before our Christmas gift exchange. We had to read it in a voice that was different from our normal voice.
Jillian Reed
Sep 27, 2012 Jillian Reed rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas, santa, winter
A silly rhyme book that illustrates a woman who swallows gifts, bows, deer, sleigh, and a sleigh. At the end of the story the reader and listeners find out the old last did all this to help santa out for Christmas.
Tracy Morton
Dec 14, 2012 Tracy Morton rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If you like There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly you will probably like this one. I had the children ring their jingle bells everytime they heard the word bell and they loved it.
Luana
These Old Lady books are great for sequencing. Children are to figure out the next thing that happens. It can even be used to teach cause and effect. Ideal for Pre-K - First Grade.
  • Corduroy's Christmas Surprise
  • Froggy's Best Christmas
  • The Night Before the Night Before Christmas
  • Mooseltoe
  • Frosty the Snowman
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • The Biggest, Best Snowman
  • I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
  • Over the River: A Turkey's Tale
  • The Biggest Snowman Ever
  • Snowmen All Year
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Trout!
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Gingerbread Mouse