Start by marking “Lemons Are Not Red” as Want to Read:
Lemons Are Not Red

Lemons Are Not Red

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,294 Ratings  ·  142 Reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. Explores different colors by allowing readers to change an animal's color from unusual to common by turning the die-cut pages.
Published August 1st 2006 by Turtleback Books (first published 2004)

Fjóla
Jun 26, 2012 Fjóla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2 - 5 year olds, learning colors, learning to read
A great, non trivial concept book about colors. A toddler or preschooler will find it funny and enjoy the die-cuts in the pages. The illustrations are very vivid and fleshy. I in particular liked the picture of the people through the window in the lit up house in the end, those turning into a vibrant tree as you turned the page, while the light in the house went dark. It's a great early reader book too, the illustrations will help the reader. If you liked this one, you'll probably also like Firs ...more
Kristina Charnecki
Lemons Are Not Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Genre: Concept Picture Book

This picture book introduces young children to color in a simplistic way by first making certain objects, such as a lemon, a different color, and then showing the right color by the flipping of a page.

a.) A major strength of this book is the interaction between the book and the reader through the organization of the colored pages and the cut outs.
b.) The organization of the story and colored pages is fantastically done; the cut
Melanie Soble
1. This book would fall under the category of a picture book, concept.
2. Lemons definitely are not red – but what color are they? This book explores colors to decide what colors are and are not possible.
3. critique
a. The strongest part of this book is its game-like quality.
b. The book is set up as a game of it’s not this, so what is it? The book uses cutouts to pose the original question or statement like “Lemons are not red.” This simple statement allows the reader to try to guess what colo
Kelly
Oct 27, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. Concept Picture Book

2. This picture for young children and describes how some objects are certain colors while others are related to that object but a completely different color.

3. a.) Contrasting color objects
b.) The author/illustrator did a great job of selecting the objects for this concept picture book.
c.) The objects selected for contrast are very closely related. For example: Fruits, vegetables, winter objects, the night, etc. These objects however are completely different colors. I fe
Lisa Mason
Oct 22, 2011 Lisa Mason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. A concept book about colors.

2. In this book, Laura Vaccaro introduces the reader to twelve different colors. As each color is introduced a ‘not’ statement is made about the color of an object familiar to children like lemons, or grass, or snowmen. Once the reader understands what color the object is ‘not’, they turn the page to discover the object’s true color.

3. a. Design – b. The design of this concept book is especially unique. It encourages young readers to ask questions of themselves and
Jenna Satcher
Nov 05, 2012 Jenna Satcher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: critiques
1.This picture book belongs to the Concept Book category.

2. In this book, Seeger introduces the reader to twelve colors. The colors are explored by showing the readers items of varying colors using creative cutouts. The book explores the colors of fruit, vegetables, animals, the sky and more!

3.Critique
A)The design of this book includes cut-outs which engages the reader with the text and encourages the reader to make predictions using clues in the text.

B)The design of this book allows interaction
Rhiannon Hubble
1. Genre: Concept (Colors)

2. This book explores colors by showing and explaining which objects are not specific colors, and which object are those colors.

3. A. Area for comment: Format/Design

B. This book is unique in that the author/illustrator Laura Seeger portrays a variety of objects as the colors they are NOT as well as the colors they actually are. The reader is allowed to get a multidimensional definition and physical view of each object changing from the color it isn't into the color tha
Mary
May 18, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: concept, lis-565
What a great book! Readers will learn their colors by seeing the incorrect color first and then, eureka! The right color! Bright illustrations and die cuts add to the fun of turning each page until, finally, it's time to say goodnight! Great for toddlers and pre-schoolers alike.

CIP Summary:
None. From the book jacket: Laura Vaccaro Seeger introduces young children to the world of color in this simple, original, and utterly beguiling book.

From Kirkus:
A few words, a handful of brilliant colors and
Dolly
Dec 18, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2012
We recently read the book Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger and we really loved the vivid colors, the strategically placed cutouts and the overall theme. So we checked out the catalog at our local library to see what other books we could read by her.

This book has much of the same style, but has a linked theme of different colored items. It's not so much of a story, but compares the typical color for an item with another, markedly contrasting color.

I preferred Green, but overall, it's a fun book to
Jade Nguyen
Dec 09, 2011 Jade Nguyen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

1. { Genre }: Concept

2. { Summary }: Lemons are not red, lemons are yellow. Learning colors through cut-outs.

3a. { Area for comment }: Design

3b. { Critique }: A minimalistic yet effective way to express/teach colors.

3c. { Critique Example }:Another great cut-out book! This book is designed in such a way that expresses a false statement of color and when you flip the page it reveals the true color of the object. If the lemon is not red, then an apple is, but the apple’s true color isn’t revealed
Lindsay
This is one of the better books about colors I have used for bilingual story time. It features fun cut-outs. A review from the School Library Journal does a way better job about explaining the cut-outs and how the book is laid out: "The first spread reads, "Lemons are not/ RED." The word "RED" appears on a bright yellow page beneath the die-cut shape of a lemon with a red background showing through. When the page is turned, the die-cut shape falls on the correct yellow background, with the words ...more
Emily
Summary (WorldCat):A simple story highlights such things as a yellow lemon, a pink flamingo, and a silver moon in a visual game in which die-cut shapes fall on the correct color backgrounds.

Review: A color concept book,is fun becaust it can be interactive. It would be fun for the readers or listeners to correct or laugh at the obvious mis-matched colors. Of course lemons are not read...how hilarious. The color illustrations are vibrant and the cutouts add to the story structure and visual intere
Erin Look
Sep 30, 2015 Erin Look rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
Perfect for 2-3 year old read aloud. Keeps the kid guessing about the different colors while giving them clear hints!
Ashley Campbell
Sep 12, 2012 Ashley Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: concept
Lemons are Not Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a great read for children who are learning their colors. The interactiveness of this book helps children evaluate which colors belong on which objects (ex. lemons are not red...obviously). The illustrations are very simple but I believe that this is beneficial considering the age range that this book is targeting. Children learning their colors need simple objects to correlate with.
Overall, I would give this book 4 stars because I believe it is fun
Heather
Mar 21, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short little book that's useful for the toddler/preschool/early reader set. There are short sentences on each page: "Lemons are not RED." "Lemons are YELLOW." "Apples are RED."

With peek-a-book cutouts on the pages, children are able to see the colors being referred to, which is helpful in reinforcing the learning of colors for younger children. It's also great for pre- and early readers, who can associate the words with the simple pictures and the repetitive words "not" and "are".

We'd borrow t
Paula
May 26, 2016 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clever die-cut shapes and vibrant colors combine to create a “know your colors” book like no other. The first spread declares that “Lemons are not RED”. A die-cut lemon shape appears red from the color on the next spread. Turn the page and the text on the spread states that “Lemons are YELLOW” on a yellow page and “Apples are RED”, thereby ingeniously using the red to introduce a new fruit in the correct color. And so it goes as the spreads pair carrots and eggplants, flamingos and elephants, gr ...more
Colleen
This book's primary appeal is the cutout style of every other page. "Lemons are not RED," a yellow page claims, while the other yellow page of the layout displays a red lemon in the center. As you turn the page, however, you see that the cutout was simply showing the red on the page to come; when the page is turned, the lemon cutout is filled in with the yellow of the previous page, and the statement "Lemons are not RED" is clarified: "Lemons are YELLOW / Apples are RED." This pattern continues, ...more
Morgan Hawkins
Lemons are not Red by Laura Seeger was a very good book for teaching what color an object is and is not. The book has many different objects in it, ex: lemon, elephant, and moon. On each page it shows you an object (lemon) that is the wrong color (red) but then you flip the page and it shows you the correct color (yellow) but then it tells you what object the wrong color belongs to (apple). The book goes through many different objects and then ends on the moon and the lights being turned off in ...more
Jess
Mar 12, 2012 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddler, preschool, & kindergarten storytimes
Lemons are not red. Lemons are yellow, apples are red. And away you go!

Fun with colors and cut outs. Two years in a row preschool kids have asked me to reread it the moment I finished reading. There's enough of a pattern that they can help "read" it. So there you go.

My one gripe: I don't get the progression: we move from lemons to deer to snowmen, to night time. Yes, we're hitting the colors. Yes, I like it. But yes, I'd like it better if the progression made sense to me.
J-Lynn
Apr 14, 2010 J-Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fun read aloud for children trying to solidify their concepts of color. Each right page has an outline of an object (like a lemon) that allows the reader to peak at the following page. The text is repeptitive and simple..."Lemons are not red, lemons are yellow, apples are red" and "Flamingos are not gray, flamingos are pink, elephants are gray." And the end of the book tells the reader good night.

Each page has bright, simple pictures.
Jess Brown
"Lemons are not red. Lemons are yellow, apples are red." And so the book progresses, showing us one this in the color that it is not, explaining/showing the correct color and something that is truly in that color. I can immediately see the appeal of this book to toddlers and preschoolers. Clear, simple illustrations of colors, with unique cut-outs that add something to the visual interest help make this the perfect book for little ones.
Asho
Loving the "colors" books we got from the library this week, including this one. This is a cleverly-designed book with cut-out images that change color as you turn the page, from the "wrong" color to the proper color. The text is simple, but it's really fun to play with. My baby enjoyed it a lot, although he's so little that I had to really watch him to keep him from grabbing at and tearing the cut out pages.
Mercedes Enciso
Dec 14, 2014 Mercedes Enciso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 307
Seeger, L. (2006). Lemons Are Not Red. New York: Square Fish.

Lemons Are Not Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a fun children’s book that introduces them to different colors. The fun cutouts in the pages let you know what color is coming up next. It also lets you know if that color belongs to a certain object or not. For example, does the color red belong to a lemon or an apple? This book can be a fun visual game for children as they try to guess what color is coming up and what objects it could be.
Fatima
May 01, 2011 Fatima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Children will like a color concept book Because it is fun. It teaches children the incorrect color of fruits such as lemons are not red and oranges are not gray. It provokes children laughter and arguments about the incorrect colors of fruits. Teachers can teach the color concept for preschool children and grade one and two students.

David Natiuk
Sep 29, 2011 David Natiuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming picture book that my 5-year old instantly fell in love with. Die-cut pages first show the wrong color for something, and then you flip the page to show the correct color. Makes you smile with the hilarious combos of colors, as well as a little bit of "magic" to see how each page resolves itself.

Great little surprise from the library!
Megan
Apr 03, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I'd like to own eventually. It's just really clever. I love the cut outs that are used to contrast different colors (for both the correct and incorrect colors for each object). The last page is especially neat, my husband had to point out the people in the window! (Which turn out to be just part of the tree on the next page)
Lauren
Dec 09, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: concept-books
Lemons are not Red is not a book i was familiar with before reading, but is one i would recommend for teaching colors. It would be considered a concept picture book because it allows children to connect colors to objects. The book follows the pattern of the title, stating that an object is not a certain color. After turning the page we are shown the correct color of the object such as a pear is not purple or, a lemon is not red. This book allows children and parents to interact with the book by ...more
Anna Francesca
Nov 22, 2008 Anna Francesca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a terrific book for learning/ reinforcing color-knowledge as it uses cut-outs in the pages to let kids play a guessing game as they read. While there is no linear plot, it is still a fun book to sit down with, and I can see kids wanting to read it multiple times.
Dearborn Public Library Youth Services
Kids love this mixed up book. I usually keep this read to preK and K. I have the kids try to guess what might be on the next page. Sometimes they need a little prompting, but usually someone in the group guesses right.
Emma Hoyer
Literature Requirement: **Picture Book #2 (concept book)**

This book is very simple, but that’s definitely ok! It’s a concept book, discussing color. I think that it’s a very fun, unique, and creative way to introduce color, especially as words. There are cutouts, and the way that the book is illustrated and where the cutouts are placed is genius! I really enjoyed being able to just quickly flip through this book and enjoy it as much as I did! Usually, I would find books like this boring and poin
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Blue Goose
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Little Green Peas: A Big Book of Colors (with audio recording)
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Baby Bear Sees Blue
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
  • One Pup's Up
  • Lunch
  • Cat's Colors
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • I Know a Wee Piggy
Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a New York Times best-selling author and illustrator and the recipient of a 2008 Caldecott Honor, Theodor Seuss Geisel Honors for both 2009 and 2008, a 2007 New York Times Best Illustrated Book Award, and the 2007 Boston Globe/Horn Book Award for Best Picture Book. Her books include First the Egg, The Hidden Alphabet, and Dog and Bear, among others.

Raised on Long Island, Ne
More about Laura Vaccaro Seeger...