Start by marking “I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie” as Want to Read:
I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
Preview

I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,351 ratings  ·  157 reviews

And with that the feast begins! After the pie the old lady swallows a whole squash, all of the salad, and the entire turkey! As Mother and Father watch in shock, the two children are delighted to see the old lady growing fatter and fatter. And, in the end, the old lady makes a surprising a
Published September 16th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie

Ginna
Jul 13, 2013 Ginna added it
Shelves: fall
This is a great book to talk about good manners and consideration for others when sharing food.
I would do an activity in small groups as follows:

I will have cutouts of food representing the food on the story and set up a "Thanks Giving" table for each small group.
Then, I will ask the children to go ahead and serve the plates and have "pretending" dinner with their peers
After that, I will have a conversation about what they just did, how they handle the situation, if they took turns, if they ate
Heidi
Though I'm not a fan of the scribble illustrations, they were easily overlooked by the humor of what this old lady would eat next. A good rendition of the swallowed a fly song, though I think I almost like this one better because of the food/Thanksgiving humor. The repetition is always good for a storytime, and this twist is enough to keep the interest of most children. Though it goes along with my idea of a Dessert theme, the overall presence of Thanksgiving in this book makes it seem like it m ...more
Leah Puckett
I know an old lady who swallowed a pie is a cute thanksgiving themed book. It has repetition and rhyming words. It also had a consistent pattern. The longer the list of things the old lady ate the bigger the old lady got. The illustration does add to the funny story line.

Learning Experience:
For this book I will have an old lady puppet, it will have an opening to insert food as the story goes along. This book will be read in small groups and each child will be handed an object from the story to a
Aleece
I spin on the classic "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" however this was not like that book at all. There are much better spin offs out there like "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Clover" and "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat." I found that I really did not like the illustrations either, they were sort of disturbing and the Old Lady ate all of the Thanksgiving food and the other adults seem angry at her for eating all of the food. It just didn't work for me.
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary An Old Lady who swallows up common thanksgiving foods and gets so big she is used as a balloon in the Macy Day Parade
Annotation A cute adaptation of I know an old lady who swallowed a fly. This book has great illustrations and allows the reader to follow the story and how much the Old Lady eats with how big she keeps appearing on the page.
Age appropriateness This would be a good book for 4-7 year olds
Connection to six early literacy skills This is great for narrative skills. Becaus
Teddie Trombley
This book is a spin off of the original book I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly and if you have never read these books you should because they are really funny. The book I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Pie is the Thanksgiving version and it is about an old lady who keeps swallowing things and the reason why she has to keep swallowing things is so she can help the item that she swallowed before it so she wont die. For example in this spin off she firsts swallows a whole pie but it is so dr ...more
Cassie
Many picture books exists which follow the cumulative pattern of "There's was an old lady who swallowed a fly", but this one takes the cake... errr, Pie. Not only are the illustrations eye catching, thanks to Skippyjon Jones creator Judith Schachner, but the new twist on the old song is fun and the ending is a pleasant surprise.
Samantha
Dec 16, 2011 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who hate "I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly"
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria
*sigh* Finally! A book about an old lady swallowing things that actually makes a little sense. Except for that pot...I still don't understand that one AT ALL. But, (view spoiler)

So much better than that stupid fly version. This one has to be the best so far. =)
Magpie67
I love all the books about an old lady who swallowed a pie or a bat or a broom or even the original, a fly. Too cute as usual and quite the tongue twister when said out loud. Who wouldn't giggle at these antics????

"I know an old lady who swallowed a pie, a Thanksgiving pie, which was really too dry. Perhaps she'll die."

Next is cider to chase the pie, followed by a roll, a squash, a salad, a turkey, a pot, "I kid you not, she swallowed a pot!" A ten-layer cake "For goodness sake, a ten-layer cake
Ashlyn Phillips
I love love love this book. I Thoth it was the funniest book ever when I was a child and would read it to everyone I knew. It is so charming and the pictures are vey comical. As a child I thought it was crazy to eat all that stuff and that the old lady was magic or something. I still smile every time I read this, it has great memories for me and I really enjoy it. It is so funny to think that we do almost the same thing with our lives. Not with food of course but that events in our lives effect ...more
Brianna Hawkins
this a baby book but its really funny and it keeps going on and on of what she eats and what she does check it out!!!!!!

smmary by Brianna Hawkins
book by Alison Jackson!
Courtney
Jackson, A. I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie. NY: Scholastic, Inc. (1997).

This story is a variation of "I Know an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly", but has a Thanksgiving setting that would be helpful to have around for that holiday. Like its predecessor, this book is very silly and the old woman swallows a pie and other objects related to Thanksgiving.

This book is very silly and the reading level I would say is first or second grade, but younger students would love to have it read to them. T
Megan
This a spin off of the classic "I Know and Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" but with a Thanksgiving twist. The kids talk about an Old Lady that swallowed the Thanksgiving Pie, but it was dry so she has some cider and then has a roll and follows that with some Squash. The whole book is of her eating, and always lists the things that she ate on the previous pages. The illustrations in this book are fun, and are targeted towards a younger audience. The book is written for early elementary age students ...more
Kathryn Cunningham
Who doesn't love having Grandma over to their house for a lovely Thanksgiving feast and get together? And who doesn't love watching Grandma stuff so much food down her gullet that she blows up to the size of a Macy's Day Parade balloon? And who doesn't love singing about the whole episode to a beloved children's song melody? Watch Grandma as she gobbles down pie, cider, rolls, squash, and don't forget the turkey! You'll be having so much fun watching her feast that you won't mind that she didn't ...more
Amy Scott
This book is a cute spin on the old lady who swallowed a fly story. The repetition in the story would be very entertaining for younger children. It's predictable and they would enjoy reading along with it. The illustrations are nice and colorful. I also liked that it has a Thanksgiving theme and thought it was funny that she becomes a balloon in the parade at the end because she gets so big. I would use this in my classroom for younger grades.
Kelsie
I thought this was such a cute book and I would recumbent it to anyone. I have heard of I know an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly, but I had never heard of this book. it is a perfect book for the holidays, and it is very cute. It has some humor to it and I love how you can read it with a rhythm. It makes reading the book soo much more fun. The pictures are great as well, and they are very detailed. Love it!
RC
I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie is a hilarious story about an old lady who eats everything at the Thanksgiving dinner even a pot! Readers will love to see everything that she eats, hear the rhyming text, look at the colorful and detailed pictures and see what the old lady becomes once she is finally full!

This book promotes phonological awareness and narrative skills.
Jaimee Huskins
This is a cute story about an old lady who basically eats everything. It is a great story to read as a family. It repeats what happens previous in the story. It also may help children learn pattern. The pictures are very colorful and look like they may have been done in watercolor. The ending is very cute kind of blunt and to the point but cute. The words are very descriptive.
Sasha Thompson
I loved this children's story. I thought it was so funny and I think that kids would laugh at this book because the old lady eats absolutely everything. The drawings in this book are also super funny because it shows the lady getting bigger and bigger as she eats more and more. I thought this was a fun read.
Rashanda Ravenel
I have definitely had the experience of feeling huge and uncomfortable after eating too much food on Thanksgiving. This would be a great story to read with children before discussing different holidays people celebrate. Students can journal about their experiences and share with the class.
Library
Though I usually read the similar series by Colandro, I decided to give Jackson's book a try and was sadly disappointed. Her repetitive rhymes were just too wordy and not humorous as I had desired. Schachner's illustrations aren't as fun as her work in Skippyjon Jones.
Erin
Funny! The book can be sung to the tune of "I know an old lady who swallowed a spider," but it's all about Thanksgiving. At the end, instead of dying, she floats away as a balloon in the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Good for preschool storytimes.
Ashley Field
I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie is a spin-off of the Old lady who swallowed a fly. This is a Thanksgiving version of the book and the woman in the book indulges herself in all of the classic and traditional thanksgiving entrees and sides and drinks. Theres in no real moral of the story other than maybe not eating as much as the woman in the story, or you may end up as a balloon on a thanksgiving day float. The story is a fun and silly story that could be used in a text set for thanksgivin ...more
Tiffany
This is a spin off of the book There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. This story is a Thanksgiving story. Everything she eats is something we would see at our own Thanksgiving tables. Since there is another book, it might be interesting to compare the two and see what is the same and what is not the same. The story builds upon itself, meaning each page adds an new line of the story, but you keep repeating the other stuff too. It wold be a great activity to have props and have the students re ...more
Ashley Whiteley
This is a crazy and funny book! I really loved it. The rhyming makes the book fun to read. The pictures are unique. A good book to read around thanksgiving time. It is sure to make everyone laugh!!
Dolly
Nov 22, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun take on the classic children's song, There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, but this time with a Thanksgiving theme. We've read several books with this kind of theme, and our girls find them to be very humorous.

The illustrations are entertaining and the ending is silly. The rhyming narrative and cumulative build make this a great story to read aloud and we really enjoyed reading it together. We've read this one a couple of times.
Andrew Young
This was a very funny book. I read this when I was little. There is this lady who eats a lot of food and then becomes a balloon.
Amy Winkelman
My daughter likes it when I read this books to her, she always says the same thing, "That lady SURE is hungry!"
Beckie Coldiron
This fun book is based off the popular, " I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie "; however, in this book the lady consumes lots and lots of popular Thanksgiving foods. I think it'd be fun to act this book out around Thanksgiving, except maybe using smaller portions. :) You could also use the writing prompt, " I know an old lady who...." or you could have students compare this story with, " I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". Then, students could work as a large group, small group or indepe ...more
Lana Clifton
The old lady who swallows something meets Thanksgiving dinner. This is a nice seasonal take and follows this hungry lady's feast in stuffing herself silly at the dinner table. The story concludes her blowing up to be a blimp on parade. This book has a repeating sentence structure, sequencing rhyming words that roll off your tongue. I read this book aloud to a group of first graders who appreciated the humor of this book. The word "fat" came up, and we soon found ourselves in a discussion about d ...more
  • 10 Fat Turkeys
  • 'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving (Bookshelf)
  • Bear Says Thanks
  • There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves!
  • Over the River: A Turkey's Tale
  • To Market, To Market
  • Goodnight Goon: a Petrifying Parody
  • Thanks for Thanksgiving
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • Run, Turkey, Run!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Trout!
  • The Cow Who Clucked
  • I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • The Ugly Pumpkin
  • Turkey Trouble
  • Plump And Perky Turkey, A
  • The Gingerbread Boy
If the Shoe Fits Eggs over Evie The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins) When the Wind Blew Desert Rose and Her Highfalutin Hog