Start by marking “I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie” as Want to Read:
I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie

I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,811 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews

And with that the feast begins! After the pie the old lady swallows a whole squash, all of the salad, and the entire turkey! As Mother and Father watch in shock, the two children are delighted to see the old lady growing fatter and fatter. And, in the end, the old lady makes a surprising a
Published September 16th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie

Manik Sukoco
Dec 30, 2015 Manik Sukoco rated it really liked it
Alison Jackson has written a superb take-off on the classic, I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. In this very funny, very hip rendering, the old lady with an unbelievable appetite, swallows first the pie, the very pie she brought to the Thanksgiving feast. This is followed by a jug of cider "to moisten the pie which was really too dry", then a roll, a squash, the salad, the turkey and on and on... With each addition, she grows bigger and fatter to the delight and amusement of the family chil ...more
Heidi
Though I'm not a fan of the scribble illustrations, they were easily overlooked by the humor of what this old lady would eat next. A good rendition of the swallowed a fly song, though I think I almost like this one better because of the food/Thanksgiving humor. The repetition is always good for a storytime, and this twist is enough to keep the interest of most children. Though it goes along with my idea of a Dessert theme, the overall presence of Thanksgiving in this book makes it seem like it m ...more
Ginna
Jul 13, 2013 Ginna added it
Shelves: fall
This is a great book to talk about good manners and consideration for others when sharing food.
I would do an activity in small groups as follows:

I will have cutouts of food representing the food on the story and set up a "Thanks Giving" table for each small group.
Then, I will ask the children to go ahead and serve the plates and have "pretending" dinner with their peers
After that, I will have a conversation about what they just did, how they handle the situation, if they took turns, if they ate
Emily Anderson
Oct 24, 2015 Emily Anderson rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd314
I adored this book when I was little. Come Thanksgiving, I would have my dad read it to me again and again. I think this would be a fun, laid-back book to use in the Read Aloud Session right before Thanksgiving.
Leah Puckett
Oct 22, 2012 Leah Puckett rated it it was amazing
I know an old lady who swallowed a pie is a cute thanksgiving themed book. It has repetition and rhyming words. It also had a consistent pattern. The longer the list of things the old lady ate the bigger the old lady got. The illustration does add to the funny story line.

Learning Experience:
For this book I will have an old lady puppet, it will have an opening to insert food as the story goes along. This book will be read in small groups and each child will be handed an object from the story to a
Cortnee Hill
Mar 24, 2016 Cortnee Hill rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: K through Third grade
Shelves: poetry
This is a silly, quirky, and amusing spin off the the children classic, "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly." with a Thanksgiving twist. This fun children's book would definitely be classified as an Aesthetic Read aloud. She eats and eats until she blows up like a balloon, and flies in the Thanksgiving parade. It's hysterical, and I believe little children would love it!! The cadence is wonderful, and a would definitely be a best to read about! Judy Schachner's illustrations are colorful, an ...more
Aleece
I spin on the classic "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" however this was not like that book at all. There are much better spin offs out there like "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Clover" and "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat." I found that I really did not like the illustrations either, they were sort of disturbing and the Old Lady ate all of the Thanksgiving food and the other adults seem angry at her for eating all of the food. It just didn't work for me.
Camille Ryckman
May 12, 2014 Camille Ryckman rated it really liked it
Brief summary An Old Lady who swallows up common thanksgiving foods and gets so big she is used as a balloon in the Macy Day Parade
Annotation A cute adaptation of I know an old lady who swallowed a fly. This book has great illustrations and allows the reader to follow the story and how much the Old Lady eats with how big she keeps appearing on the page.
Age appropriateness This would be a good book for 4-7 year olds
Connection to six early literacy skills This is great for narrative skills. Becaus
Teddie Trombley
Apr 29, 2014 Teddie Trombley rated it liked it
This book is a spin off of the original book I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly and if you have never read these books you should because they are really funny. The book I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Pie is the Thanksgiving version and it is about an old lady who keeps swallowing things and the reason why she has to keep swallowing things is so she can help the item that she swallowed before it so she wont die. For example in this spin off she firsts swallows a whole pie but it is so dr ...more
Cassie
Nov 26, 2008 Cassie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, holiday
Many picture books exists which follow the cumulative pattern of "There's was an old lady who swallowed a fly", but this one takes the cake... errr, Pie. Not only are the illustrations eye catching, thanks to Skippyjon Jones creator Judith Schachner, but the new twist on the old song is fun and the ending is a pleasant surprise.
Samantha
Dec 16, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who hate "I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly"
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria
*sigh* Finally! A book about an old lady swallowing things that actually makes a little sense. Except for that pot...I still don't understand that one AT ALL. But, (view spoiler)

So much better than that stupid fly version. This one has to be the best so far. =)
Magpie67
I love all the books about an old lady who swallowed a pie or a bat or a broom or even the original, a fly. Too cute as usual and quite the tongue twister when said out loud. Who wouldn't giggle at these antics????

"I know an old lady who swallowed a pie, a Thanksgiving pie, which was really too dry. Perhaps she'll die."

Next is cider to chase the pie, followed by a roll, a squash, a salad, a turkey, a pot, "I kid you not, she swallowed a pot!" A ten-layer cake "For goodness sake, a ten-layer cake
Ashlyn Phillips
I love love love this book. I Thoth it was the funniest book ever when I was a child and would read it to everyone I knew. It is so charming and the pictures are vey comical. As a child I thought it was crazy to eat all that stuff and that the old lady was magic or something. I still smile every time I read this, it has great memories for me and I really enjoy it. It is so funny to think that we do almost the same thing with our lives. Not with food of course but that events in our lives effect ...more
Brianna Hawkins
Oct 23, 2010 Brianna Hawkins rated it it was amazing
this a baby book but its really funny and it keeps going on and on of what she eats and what she does check it out!!!!!!

smmary by Brianna Hawkins
book by Alison Jackson!
Courtney
Mar 24, 2014 Courtney rated it really liked it
Shelves: edutl-2368
Jackson, A. I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie. NY: Scholastic, Inc. (1997).

This story is a variation of "I Know an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly", but has a Thanksgiving setting that would be helpful to have around for that holiday. Like its predecessor, this book is very silly and the old woman swallows a pie and other objects related to Thanksgiving.

This book is very silly and the reading level I would say is first or second grade, but younger students would love to have it read to them. T
Megan
This a spin off of the classic "I Know and Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" but with a Thanksgiving twist. The kids talk about an Old Lady that swallowed the Thanksgiving Pie, but it was dry so she has some cider and then has a roll and follows that with some Squash. The whole book is of her eating, and always lists the things that she ate on the previous pages. The illustrations in this book are fun, and are targeted towards a younger audience. The book is written for early elementary age students ...more
Kathryn Cunningham
Nov 16, 2013 Kathryn Cunningham rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't love having Grandma over to their house for a lovely Thanksgiving feast and get together? And who doesn't love watching Grandma stuff so much food down her gullet that she blows up to the size of a Macy's Day Parade balloon? And who doesn't love singing about the whole episode to a beloved children's song melody? Watch Grandma as she gobbles down pie, cider, rolls, squash, and don't forget the turkey! You'll be having so much fun watching her feast that you won't mind that she didn't ...more
Amy Scott
Feb 22, 2015 Amy Scott rated it liked it
This book is a cute spin on the old lady who swallowed a fly story. The repetition in the story would be very entertaining for younger children. It's predictable and they would enjoy reading along with it. The illustrations are nice and colorful. I also liked that it has a Thanksgiving theme and thought it was funny that she becomes a balloon in the parade at the end because she gets so big. I would use this in my classroom for younger grades.
Amy Stromgren
Feb 01, 2016 Amy Stromgren rated it liked it
Shelves: bookshelf
I enjoyed this book while I was growing up, but I think I've gotten too old for it now because I don't like the concept. I also think it gives the wrong idea to children now because they will think that they can eat whatever they want, just like the old lady. There is something good when it comes to the writing in this book. The repetition of the sentences allows for children to follow along and help read part of the story.
Ariel
Sep 21, 2015 Ariel rated it liked it
This book takes a unique twist on "I Know an Old Lady who Swallowed a fly" and is instead an old lady who swallows everything in the room on Thanksgiving Day. The illustrations are composed of warm fall colors that gives the feel of Thanksgiving while reading about the crazy grandma who swallows everything insight. The text also has a rhythmic feel that makes it stick in the readers head, and fun to read a loud!
Kelsie
Oct 30, 2014 Kelsie rated it it was amazing
I thought this was such a cute book and I would recumbent it to anyone. I have heard of I know an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly, but I had never heard of this book. it is a perfect book for the holidays, and it is very cute. It has some humor to it and I love how you can read it with a rhythm. It makes reading the book soo much more fun. The pictures are great as well, and they are very detailed. Love it!
RC
Nov 18, 2014 RC rated it really liked it
I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie is a hilarious story about an old lady who eats everything at the Thanksgiving dinner even a pot! Readers will love to see everything that she eats, hear the rhyming text, look at the colorful and detailed pictures and see what the old lady becomes once she is finally full!

This book promotes phonological awareness and narrative skills.
Jaimee Huskins
Nov 12, 2014 Jaimee Huskins rated it really liked it
This is a cute story about an old lady who basically eats everything. It is a great story to read as a family. It repeats what happens previous in the story. It also may help children learn pattern. The pictures are very colorful and look like they may have been done in watercolor. The ending is very cute kind of blunt and to the point but cute. The words are very descriptive.
Danielle
Oct 07, 2015 Danielle rated it liked it
An old lady decides to eat everything in sight! She gets bigger and bigger, until she's too big and she becomes a thanksgiving day float in the parade! Cute ending.

Classroom: Could anyone eat that much? Discussing what she turned into at the end- thanksgiving day parade in NY we could discuss, make a virtual field trip out of it by online videos.
Sasha Thompson
Mar 17, 2014 Sasha Thompson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march
I loved this children's story. I thought it was so funny and I think that kids would laugh at this book because the old lady eats absolutely everything. The drawings in this book are also super funny because it shows the lady getting bigger and bigger as she eats more and more. I thought this was a fun read.
Bethe
fun, holiday addition to the "I know an old lady" cumulative tales, with a surprise ending to boot. Doesn't quite follow the traditional pattern of repeating all the rhyming lines, but storytime listeners won't notice, they will be too busy trying to figure out what the old lady might eat next!
Rashanda Ravenel
I have definitely had the experience of feeling huge and uncomfortable after eating too much food on Thanksgiving. This would be a great story to read with children before discussing different holidays people celebrate. Students can journal about their experiences and share with the class.
Library
Nov 27, 2014 Library rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Though I usually read the similar series by Colandro, I decided to give Jackson's book a try and was sadly disappointed. Her repetitive rhymes were just too wordy and not humorous as I had desired. Schachner's illustrations aren't as fun as her work in Skippyjon Jones.
Erin
Nov 12, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
Funny! The book can be sung to the tune of "I know an old lady who swallowed a spider," but it's all about Thanksgiving. At the end, instead of dying, she floats away as a balloon in the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Good for preschool storytimes.
Ashley Field
Nov 25, 2013 Ashley Field rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie is a spin-off of the Old lady who swallowed a fly. This is a Thanksgiving version of the book and the woman in the book indulges herself in all of the classic and traditional thanksgiving entrees and sides and drinks. Theres in no real moral of the story other than maybe not eating as much as the woman in the story, or you may end up as a balloon on a thanksgiving day float. The story is a fun and silly story that could be used in a text set for thanksgivin ...more
  • 'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving (Bookshelf)
  • 10 Fat Turkeys
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves!
  • Over the River: A Turkey's Tale