Start by marking “Space Boy” as Want to Read:
Space Boy

Space Boy

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This world, decides Nicholas, is too noisy for him. Time to take a trip. He packs a snack, puts on his suit, and takes off . . . to the utterly quiet craters and vast deserts of the distant moon. In this utterly charming picture book, the allure of space travel and the longing for peace and quiet entice a young boy to take his space rocket to the moon for a picnic.
Published September 24th 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Space Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space Boy

A Long Way Away by Frank VivaThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryAstronaut Handbook by Meghan MccarthyLost in the Solar System by Joanna ColeThe Way Back Home by Oliver Jeffers
Children's Picture Books: Space Travel
43rd out of 105 books — 7 voters
The Jupiter Chronicles by Leonardo RamirezMoonshot by Brian FlocaAstronaut Handbook by Meghan MccarthyIf You Decide To Go To The Moon by Faith McNultyI Want to Be an Astronaut by Byron Barton
Best Space Books For Kids
28th out of 40 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary
Feb 10, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-reads
This is a great book. My 4 year old grandson
absolutely loved it. He usually cannot not sit through a whole story but as soon as I finished the last page he was saying "read it again". Which I did about 6 times in a row!!

Heather
Jul 22, 2008 Heather added it
Shelves: escher-grade-k
This is a great book for a little boy who is interested in Space. The Illustrations are lovely.
Partridge Public
Landry, Leo K-1st
Joni
Feb 16, 2011 Joni rated it it was amazing
Benjamin loves this book more than love.
Jenn Clauss
Jul 02, 2015 Jenn Clauss rated it liked it
Allen
Jan 27, 2016 Allen rated it really liked it
Straightforward story of a boy going to the moon to escape his noisy world. Cute illustrations and my preschool group loved imitating the boy's pre-flight check.
Amy
Nov 16, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
My nephew and I enjoyed Space Boy quite a bit. I think the book is just a nice story apt to strike at the heart of a little boy's imagination. My nephew just grinned as we read this book, and seemed quite pleased with it.

In an odd way this book reminded me of The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats. Oh, it's nothing like The Snowy Day story-wise, but it is in terms of its touching appreciation of the simple things in life. Quite an enjoyable little read, and a great bedtime story for a little child.
Amanda Funnell
Best for young elementary students
Maggie
A trip to outer space helps Nicholas appreciate his family.
Emerson and Theodore
Jun 30, 2012 Emerson and Theodore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
This little space boy is frustrated about his family, his parents are busy with the new baby, she is loud and annoying!
He makes plans to go to outer space, what fun! He suits up and goes out in the yard at night and gets into his rocket and goes to the moon. It's so quiet and he begins to miss his family! So he goes back home and enjoys them again. Great story about the power of imagination!
Danielle
Dec 21, 2013 Danielle rated it really liked it
Nicholas just wants some peace and quiet so he packs a lunch, gets into his space suite, and blasts off for the moon. It is wonderfully quiet and Nicholas has fun there but after awhile he begins to miss his family. He is able to enjoy Earth once again. Good for space, imagination, or quiet time storytime.
Ina
Jul 14, 2013 Ina rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
To escape all the noise around him Nicholas dons a space suit and boots and packs a picnic and flies off to the moon, where it is quiet. While enjoying a romp around the moonscape, he becomes homesick and returns home to kiss his parents good night and climb into bed. Charming story with cute, funny illustrations.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
There needs to be a category name for these books where the character seems to be frustrated with what is happening (people or things are bothering him) and then things change and he realizes he misses the original noise or disturbance. This is a sweet bedtime story.
Virginia
Aug 21, 2013 Virginia rated it liked it
Shelves: children, read-2013
My son loves space and space ships so this was a fun book for him to read. He likes all the blasting off and relates to the little boy with a little sister.
Relyn
Jun 26, 2011 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teachers and kids
Recommended to Relyn by: found at the library
Shelves: lawsonland
another summer school book...

I remember the students really liking this one, however, two weeks later, I can't remember it at all.
Cheryl
Apr 04, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it
This is a good story for bedtime. A boy listens to too much noise at bedtime and goes on a trip to the moon.
Peacegal
Jun 19, 2013 Peacegal rated it it was ok
A boy imagines traveling to the moon instead of going to bed.
Tee
Jun 05, 2013 Tee rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed it. A nice bedtime story.
Mckinley
Jan 24, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture, scifi, adventure
A bit dull really.
Sheila
Sheila added it
Mar 09, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Sherri Mullins
Sherri Mullins marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Janae
Janae rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Kara Russell
Kara Russell marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Ginnie
Ginnie added it
Feb 08, 2016
Sarah Gioia
Sarah Gioia rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • How to Bicycle to the Moon to Plant Sunflowers: A Simple but Brilliant Plan in 24 Easy Steps
  • I Want to Be an Astronaut