Surviving James Dean

Surviving James Dean

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A beautifully written memoir, candid and definitive, that tells the story of Bast's five year relationship with the charismatic actor and American legend--James Dean.
Published April 20th 2006 by Barricade Books

To ask other readers questions about Surviving James Dean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surviving James Dean

Cali
Mar 08, 2012 Cali rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: James Dean fans
I'm a big fan of James Dean so I've read quite a few biographies about him, but this one is by far the best. It was written by one of James Dean's closest friends, so I figure he knows the actual facts better than most. I cried when William Bast writes about receiving the phone call about Dean's accident; it was very moving and heartbreaking.
Bob
This is a heartfelt and deeply moving autobiography and biography of the five-year relationship between the author, William Bast, and his best friend, James Dean. Bill describes himself as a closeted gay while Dean is less so. But as Bill’s love for Jimmy grows, so does the fear that a sexual relationship between the men will not end well. Still, Bill is finally ready to take that plunge when the two men consummate their love in a Borrego Springs hotel in the desert.

Dean wonders: “What took you...more
Frederick
This account of the author's friendship with James Dean has the ring of truth.
Bast knew James Dean from student days at UCLA until Dean's death. Bast and Dean were about the same age. While Bast became an insider at the TV networks, Dean became an increasingly popular actor, appearing on TV and, of course, in the movies.
Bast wrote two very good TV scripts in the seventies. One was for a TV movie about Lizzie Borden. I didn't know he wrote that until I read this book. So, I can say William Bast...more
Clifton
A fine memoir of William Bast's relationship with James Dean, interesting both on that account and on gay life in show business in the years they were friends/lovers and in the years following Dean's early death. Bast makes it clear why Dean probably never would have come out: his career came first. (Some things have not changed.) Then again, no one can really say. Far better written than the Paul Alexander biography of Dean, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," though it has its value too.
Nathan Truong
Surviving James Dean (2006) by William Bast, Dean’s roommate, gives an intimate portrait of Dean’s life through his accounts with living and meeting with Dean as a long-time friend, “lover”, and roommate. I guess for the book to focus on Dean, it must focus on Bast’s life, but I feel like it focuses too much on his life, making this only an empathetic caricature of Dean rather than a biography. Readers be warned, it is still a fantastic read for James Dean fans.
Carolyn
Biography of my teen idol, with details that couldn't be published back when, by his friend and lover. East of Eden was about, and shot in, my home town of Salinas. But the rest of the story wasn't really all that interesting.
Darren
Very informative and interesting. I couldn't put it down. I stayed at the same YMCA in NYC that James Dean stayed at when he first came to New York.
Ndeye K. Faye
Ndeye K. Faye marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Morgana
Morgana marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Bluestars713
Bluestars713 marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Kaya
Kaya marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Sofia
Sofia added it
Jul 01, 2014
Jessica De
Jessica De marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Hannah Smuland
Hannah Smuland marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Eden Morales
Eden Morales marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Nicky
Nicky marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Savanah
Savanah marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014