Start by marking “Is a Camel a Mammal?” as Want to Read:
Is a Camel a Mammal?

Is a Camel a Mammal? (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  121 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The Cat in the Hat takes Dick and Sally on a Seussian safari to observe (and pontificate about) the many different kinds of mammals. An invaluable tour for all animal lovers!
Published October 13th 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Is a Camel a Mammal?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is a Camel a Mammal?

Kathryn
Mar 03, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-my-boys
This has become one of our favorite reads. My boys still find it fascinating. My youngest likes the pygmy shrew and my oldest stares at the spoon with the 18 opossum babies. This book is an excellent way to interest young readers in the natural world and animals, though my experience has shown this to never be a difficult task to begin with. Kids love animals and this book as well, for highlighting some of the unique characteristics of mammals.
Leah Sidell
Mar 15, 2014 Leah Sidell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Is A Camel A Mammal, is a fun book for kids about The Cat in the Hat taking two kids named Dick and Sally on an safari adventure where they see and observe the many different kinds of mammals. A good way to teach literacy with this book is discuss the different animals that are mammals and have students write in their journals common factors that describe mammals. Students can share what they have come up with then they can compare the difference between mammals and non-mammals.
Pam
Jun 12, 2014 Pam rated it it was ok
I am definitely not a fan of Dr. Seuss-style books written by other authors. I think I'll stick to the originals. Also, all three of my kids were bored as I read this one (very unusual for my book-loving children)...it's very long without much to keep you interested. Just added one more star for the pygmy shrew and the baby opossums - those did capture our attention - briefly.
Keleigh
This is fun because it is informational about mammals but it has cartoon like illustrations which can make it more appealing to students.
Karen Dransfield
Aug 10, 2016 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
A great series for kids on a range of topics. This one is all about animals and mammals. Great fun.
Jessica Bingham
May 07, 2014 Jessica Bingham rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, children-s
Great book for Science story time about mammals! Very easy for children to follow and understand.
Lorelei Ponto
Sep 29, 2015 Lorelei Ponto rated it it was amazing
Personal Response-
Joey Fong
Nov 20, 2011 Joey Fong rated it it was amazing
This book is good for teaching rhyming, mammals, omnivores, carnivores, and herbivores. I liked how they mentioned animals that most kids may not be familiar with such as anteater, wallabies, armadillo, bobcat and sea lion. While most books may talk about cats an dogs, this gives them exposure to many different animals. Direct and simple explanation of what mammals, omnivores, carnivores, and herbivores are. And finally, the book is written in rhymes!
Samantha Penrose
Amazing! This book contains a TON of great animal info presented in a silly, rhythmical, rhyming way. This is the kind of book that a pre-reader can just look at for hours and a reader can enjoy and learn from again and again!
Bookish
Sep 02, 2009 Bookish rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
My kiddo loved this book. The rhymes (as usual with Dr. Seuss) were very catchy, and I loved how the story talked about many different mammals, focused on the camel, and ended with humans as mammals too.
Hatka Kecalovic
This book is Is a Camel a Mammal? by Tish Rabe. This book can be used in Kindergarden to 2 grade classrooms. This book can be used to teach rhyming, mammals, omnivores, carnivores, and herbivores.
Michelle
Mar 24, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, read-aloud
This is a great overview of mammals for young kids (4-7 years). Rabe covers the basic characteristics of mammals in a fun and informative way. The pictures are cute as well.
Lindsey Rogers
Science and rhyming and vocabulary , oh my!! This book is great for integrating science into literacy. Students will laugh and learn with this one. First and second grade.
Aleya Peters
Oct 18, 2013 Aleya Peters rated it really liked it
This was such a cute book about mammals. The flow is very rhythmic and consistent. I really loved all the animals and environments all in one story.
Alicia
Jun 26, 2009 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, science
They left out the most important part. Nothing of MAMMARY glands is mentioned in this book about MAMMALS. What's up with that?
Teri
May 05, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: mammals
Love these cat in the hat learning library books. One obvious omission--they never discuss that mammals feed their babies milk.
Suzy
May 02, 2011 Suzy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Done in rhyme, this tells about what makes a mammal and goes through several types of mammals. It's a fun read. :)
Joanna
Feb 24, 2008 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Delightful Seusian rhyming verse just trips off the tongue, AND I learned some things about mammals.
Aug 05, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-caden
Love it! So much information but lots of fun and the traditional Seussian rhymes...
Anuka
Dec 21, 2015 Anuka rated it it was amazing
Nice book to teach a toddler about mammals
Jake
Sep 21, 2009 Jake added it
this is my most favorit dr suece book i ever read
Ruthie
Dec 31, 2011 Ruthie rated it really liked it
Good book that I had to read for school!
John Mcgoldrick
Jan 03, 2013 John Mcgoldrick rated it really liked it
A camel is indeed a mammal.
Intia
Sep 03, 2008 Intia added it
I LOVE CAT IN THE HAT
PWRL
Jun 07, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
E
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Divya Setia
Divya Setia rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
pam whitehead
pam whitehead rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
  • Clouds
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares
  • Sunshine Makes the Seasons
  • Reindeer Do Wear Striped Underwear (The Bailey School Kids Jr. Chapter Book, #2)
  • A House Is a House for Me
  • Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci
  • The Eye Book
  • Who Eats What?: Food Chains and Food Webs
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • New Tricks I Can Do!
  • The Flea's Sneeze
  • Sea Monster Scare (Scooby-Doo! Readers, #12)
  • Stop, Train, Stop! a Thomas the Tank Engine Story (Thomas & Friends)
  • The Star-Spangled Banner
  • Titanic Young Survivors (Ten True Tales)
  • Baa-Choo!

The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • My, Oh My--A Butterfly!: All About Butterflies
  • Clam I am
  • Fine Feathered Friends: All About Birds
  • A Great Day for Pup!
  • Hurray for Today!: All About Holidays (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • I Can Name 50 Trees Today!: All About Trees
  • If I Ran the Rain Forest: All About Tropical Rain Forests
  • Inside Your Outside: All About the Human Body (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
  • Oh Say Can You Say What's the Weather Today?: All About Weather