Start by marking “Is a Camel a Mammal?” as Want to Read:
Is a Camel a Mammal?

Is a Camel a Mammal? (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)

The Cat in the Hat takes Dick and Sally on a Seussian safari to observe (and pontificate about) the many different kinds of mammals. An invaluable tour for all animal lovers!
Published October 13th 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Is a Camel a Mammal?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is a Camel a Mammal?

Kathryn
Mar 03, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-my-boys
This has become one of our favorite reads. My boys still find it fascinating. My youngest likes the pygmy shrew and my oldest stares at the spoon with the 18 opossum babies. This book is an excellent way to interest young readers in the natural world and animals, though my experience has shown this to never be a difficult task to begin with. Kids love animals and this book as well, for highlighting some of the unique characteristics of mammals.
Joey Fong
Nov 20, 2011 Joey Fong rated it it was amazing
This book is good for teaching rhyming, mammals, omnivores, carnivores, and herbivores. I liked how they mentioned animals that most kids may not be familiar with such as anteater, wallabies, armadillo, bobcat and sea lion. While most books may talk about cats an dogs, this gives them exposure to many different animals. Direct and simple explanation of what mammals, omnivores, carnivores, and herbivores are. And finally, the book is written in rhymes!
Leah Sidell
Mar 15, 2014 Leah Sidell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Is A Camel A Mammal, is a fun book for kids about The Cat in the Hat taking two kids named Dick and Sally on an safari adventure where they see and observe the many different kinds of mammals. A good way to teach literacy with this book is discuss the different animals that are mammals and have students write in their journals common factors that describe mammals. Students can share what they have come up with then they can compare the difference between mammals and non-mammals.
Pam
Jun 12, 2014 Pam rated it it was ok
I am definitely not a fan of Dr. Seuss-style books written by other authors. I think I'll stick to the originals. Also, all three of my kids were bored as I read this one (very unusual for my book-loving children)...it's very long without much to keep you interested. Just added one more star for the pygmy shrew and the baby opossums - those did capture our attention - briefly.
Samantha Penrose
Amazing! This book contains a TON of great animal info presented in a silly, rhythmical, rhyming way. This is the kind of book that a pre-reader can just look at for hours and a reader can enjoy and learn from again and again!
Bookish
Sep 02, 2009 Bookish rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
My kiddo loved this book. The rhymes (as usual with Dr. Seuss) were very catchy, and I loved how the story talked about many different mammals, focused on the camel, and ended with humans as mammals too.
Aleya Peters
Oct 18, 2013 Aleya Peters rated it really liked it
This was such a cute book about mammals. The flow is very rhythmic and consistent. I really loved all the animals and environments all in one story.
Michelle
Mar 24, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, read-aloud
This is a great overview of mammals for young kids (4-7 years). Rabe covers the basic characteristics of mammals in a fun and informative way. The pictures are cute as well.
Keleigh
This is fun because it is informational about mammals but it has cartoon like illustrations which can make it more appealing to students.
Suzy
May 02, 2011 Suzy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Done in rhyme, this tells about what makes a mammal and goes through several types of mammals. It's a fun read. :)
Hatka Kecalovic
This book is Is a Camel a Mammal? by Tish Rabe. This book can be used in Kindergarden to 2 grade classrooms. This book can be used to teach rhyming, mammals, omnivores, carnivores, and herbivores.
Lindsey Rogers
Science and rhyming and vocabulary , oh my!! This book is great for integrating science into literacy. Students will laugh and learn with this one. First and second grade.
Teri
May 05, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: mammals
Love these cat in the hat learning library books. One obvious omission--they never discuss that mammals feed their babies milk.
Alicia
Jun 26, 2009 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, science
They left out the most important part. Nothing of MAMMARY glands is mentioned in this book about MAMMALS. What's up with that?
Joanna
Feb 24, 2008 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Delightful Seusian rhyming verse just trips off the tongue, AND I learned some things about mammals.
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Jessica Bingham
May 07, 2014 Jessica Bingham rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, children-s
Great book for Science story time about mammals! Very easy for children to follow and understand.
Tristin
Tristin rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Ronda
Ronda rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2010
pam whitehead
pam whitehead rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Intia
Sep 03, 2008 Intia added it
I LOVE CAT IN THE HAT
Barbara Crossler
Barbara Crossler rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Levi
Levi rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2010
Jhana
Jhana rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2014
Kathryn Doyle
Kathryn Doyle rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2014
Juwan Conley
Juwan Conley rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2009
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Ayra
Ayra rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2010
  • Clouds
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares
  • Sunshine Makes the Seasons
  • Reindeer Do Wear Striped Underwear (The Bailey School Kids Jr. Chapter Book, #2)
  • A House Is a House for Me
  • Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci
  • The Eye Book
  • Who Eats What?: Food Chains and Food Webs
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • New Tricks I Can Do!
  • The Flea's Sneeze
  • Sea Monster Scare (Scooby-Doo! Readers, #12)
  • Stop, Train, Stop! a Thomas the Tank Engine Story (Thomas & Friends)
  • The Star-Spangled Banner
  • Titanic Young Survivors (Ten True Tales)
  • Baa-Choo!

The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • My, Oh My--A Butterfly!: All About Butterflies
  • Clam I am
  • Fine Feathered Friends: All About Birds
  • A Great Day for Pup!
  • Hurray for Today!: All About Holidays (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • I Can Name 50 Trees Today!: All About Trees
  • If I Ran the Rain Forest: All About Tropical Rain Forests
  • Inside Your Outside: All About the Human Body (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
  • Oh Say Can You Say What's the Weather Today?: All About Weather