Start by marking “Randy's Dandy Lions” as Want to Read:
Randy's Dandy Lions

Randy's Dandy Lions

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  230 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Randy's dandy lions suffer from "cage fright" and are unable to perform their tricks for the circus audience.
Published April 23rd 1979 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Randy's Dandy Lions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Randy's Dandy Lions

Sterrett Family
[Gabriel] The story is long and easy to follow, but the rhyming is so sophisticated that it's hard to know what you're saying. I messed up a couple times when I was trying to rhyme. 3 stars

[Jacob] I liked the illustrations. 3 stars

[Matthew] I was sad for the lions because they weren't there at the circus, because they were going to bed. 2 stars

[Daniel] My favorite part was when the lions were hanging around the hook. 5 stars

Read aloud by Gabriel on 1/9/13
Laura Verret
May 01, 2015 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
Children’s books of poetry aren’t the rarest thing in the world – in fact, they’re quite common. And quite good. The same goes for children’s picture books with accompanying story-told-in-rhyme. But most of these are, quite frankly, horrifying. The reason is because unlike books of serious poetry, authors think they can get away with shoddy meter and inept rhymes because, after all, the book is only for children!

Randy’s Dandy Lions, I am happy to say, was a departure from this horrifying trend a
Ronyell
Apr 08, 2010 Ronyell rated it it was amazing
“Randy’s Dandy Lions” is another classic book from the creative mind of Bill Peet about how Randy’s lions always had stage fright but they realized that there are things far scarier than stage fright. “Randy’s Dandy Lions” is a superb book about friendship that children will enjoy for many years.

Bill Peet has done it again with his brilliant illustrations and witty writing. Bill Peet’s writing is cleverly written in a rhyming prose, making this story similar to Dr. Seuss’ children’s books, thus
Hope
May 29, 2016 Hope rated it it was amazing
Another delightful Bill Peet story. Randy the Lion Tamer is ever so nice, but his lions suffer from cage fright, and won't perform their tricks. What will happen when the ringmaster fires Randy and hires a new, tougher lion tamer.
Such a great story. Loved it.
Robin
Sep 15, 2014 Robin rated it liked it
Another circus story from Bill Peet. Slow to start, the ending is satisfying but the "new" lion tamer and elephants "half-drowning" the lions were a bit disturbing.
Elaine
Oct 15, 2014 Elaine rated it liked it
A great story about both what seems bad can be worse and using gentleness to help others be their best.
Kena Kump
Dec 12, 2010 Kena Kump rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Loved this book, lions appeal to me, and I felt similar to the lions in this book in a metaphorical way in my own life. I don't know if I should go into detail but basically, when the education department "cracked their whips" (metaphorically the trainers) at me (the lions) they expected me not to roar? For when the lions in the book roared they put them away until they finally took them out, because only they could light up the show. However, one unrealistic part is that in a real circus they w ...more
Tammy
Dec 16, 2012 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
of course, wild animals should not longer be in the circus, or in zoos for that matter, we know better than that.

this is well written, i like the rhymes, i like that the bad guy got fired, but worse should have happened to them.

the elephant slaves and the lion slaves continue to be slaves in the circus, and if you read this to your kids one should make this point. again, no wild animals should be in the circus
Kathryn Cooper
Feb 27, 2012 Kathryn Cooper rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this book in YEARS, but it was my favorite book to check out from the library when I was a little girl. It's not published anymore. Maybe I'll buy a used one somewhere so my kids can enjoy this fun book about circus lions with stage fright.
Vicki
May 12, 2008 Vicki rated it really liked it
I've included this book because it was a big favorite at our house when my kids were little. My oldest son really loved this story!
Keith Bowden
Jul 08, 2008 Keith Bowden rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Not one of my favorite Peet books, but even an arguably "lesser" Peet is really good stuff.
Terryann Saint
Aug 11, 2011 Terryann Saint rated it it was amazing
Love all his work.
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Stephi Graf
Stephi Graf rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Melanie Rightmyer
Melanie Rightmyer rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Esther Owens
Esther Owens rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Joel Hunt
Joel Hunt rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Matt
Matt added it
Jan 25, 2016
Zonaira Abro
Zonaira Abro rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Jared
Jared added it
Jan 20, 2016
Jennifer C.
Jennifer C. rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Odd Duck
Odd Duck rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Bloom
Bloom rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Kmarshall
Kmarshall rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2015
  • Milo's Hat Trick
  • Dona Flor: A Tall Tale About a Giant Woman with a Great Big Heart
  • Comet's Nine Lives
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft