Start by marking “Juniper Lane” as Want to Read:
Juniper Lane

Juniper Lane

Mim Robinson never expected to find herself back on Juniper Lane, the opulent suburban street where she spent one hazy childhood summer, nor to be taken in by her aunt after a nasty break-up. She certainly didn't expect to find herself striking up a strange, unexpected friendship with the intimidating Nadia Bahjat, the only other twenty-something on the street. But now ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 289 pages
Published January 2016 by Big Bang Press

To ask other readers questions about Juniper Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Juniper Lane

Lauren James
Dec 28, 2015 Lauren James rated it it was amazing
Lovely and romantic in a hazy summer kind of way. Intensely character focused, with a great critique of suburban America. I really enjoyed this one. Good work again, Big Bang Press!
Sofia Soter
Dec 29, 2015 Sofia Soter rated it it was amazing
I was very happy when I got the book, and I am even happier now that I've read it. After years of reading Kady's fiction online, it was touching to read this amazing novel, chock full of what makes everything she writes so incredible - interesting characters (so flawed, so confused, so real), beautiful prose, the right balance of drama & fun. Thank you, Big Bang Press!
Anastasia
Jan 06, 2016 Anastasia rated it really liked it
Mim is running away from her life and ends up in Juniper Lane. Nadia is forced to come home to Juniper Lane. They meet and it's pretty much hate at first sight. A meetnotcute if you will. Until it isn't.

I have to confess that I am incredibly tired of lgbtq media having to be about this whole coming out sob story. Not that it isn't hard or an important story but to me representation is seeing people like me in every day stories. In just a regular life doing regular things. Dealing with more than
Shelby Smith
Jan 01, 2016 Shelby Smith rated it it was amazing
Juniper Lane is testament to Morrison's talent for a character driven narrative. Through witty and subtly disarming dialogue, Morrison's characters are dynamic, colorful and utterly, scathingly -and most importantly- unapologetically human.

Juniper Lane is a bitter sweet look at suburbia and the uncertainty, the falsehoods and the jarring truths that are present in ourselves and in each other.

Well-balanced and atmospheric, you'll find yourself staying longer then you intended from page one unti
Danna
Feb 24, 2016 Danna rated it really liked it
quién está llorando yo no estoy llorando tú estás llorando
(omfg este libro es tan LINDO)
Feb 08, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot. Words can't express my delight at a queer romance - one where nobody dies or has an Angsty coming out even. Certainly there's a place for that, but it wasn't what I wanted and I'm glad Kady Morrison didn't go there. Instead we get two young women in my own age range struggling to handle personal issus in their lives and finding just one safe place for themselves with each other. The backdrop is a ridiculous suburban rich-person neighborhood that neither fits into very ...more
Emily
Jan 13, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
I've been reading online works by Morrison for years now, and there's a very distinct way she's able to gut-punch you with her words, that this book delivers in abundance. I was kind of uncertain about the first few chapters (honestly probably b/c overidentifying with Mim, orz), but once you really start getting a sense of the characters and what makes them tick, it takes off.

It feels like a very personal piece of work, which doesn't just refer to the subject matter, but also in how it's handled
Emily
it took me a long time to read this book. basically a whole month. this is not a long book and i am not a particularly slow reader. if i'd sat down and read, i could have devoured it in an afternoon if i wanted. but... i wanted it to last. i needed to take my time reading this story. savouring it was part of reading it for me. i needed this book. it came at a perfect time in my life, and i relate to it more than i knew i would going in. i... i don't actually have all the words to explain right ...more
Sep 07, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im basically in love with nadia wtf

this book was so good... I just finished it and I already want to reread it

all the dialogue and narration was really good, and the characters... also, whenever the characters laughed, it was at something that was actually deserving of laughter. I hate when characters laugh at something that isn't funny. all the stuff they laughed at was funny.

honestly im so appreciative of literally every detail, except for maybe the ending lmao but that's only b
Autumn
Kady Morrison is my favorite author ever oh my god. This book was so beautiful; the characters, the language, the falling in and out and in again - everything about this book was just absolutely gorgeous. ❤❤❤❤❤
Kelly Krucki
Oct 27, 2016 Kelly Krucki rated it it was amazing
I've read this book four or five times and every time it fills me with delight. I have been reading Kady's writing online for a few years now and the way she puts together words and sentences to create something that brings out such emotion in readers is nothing short of amazing. This book is incredibly enjoyable to read and you feel every emotion the characters have. I would say that this book isn't very plot driven but rather you get to watch these characters grow and change and get to know ...more
Alice
Jan 14, 2016 Alice rated it it was ok
This is a good book -- but not a very good romance novel. (if I could, I'd give it 2.5 stars because I feel like my massive 'eh'ness towards it overpowers most good feelings)

Some context: this is a piece of queer fiction published via a kickstarter project, which aimed to give fanfic authors a chance to publish their own original work. The author is this book is known by the web handle "gyzym," and I have been reading her work since 2005.

So, needless to say, I had a "shut up and take my money" r
Rae
Feb 27, 2016 Rae rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers of realistic fiction,readers of queer fiction,people looking for a fairly quick read
It took me a little while to get into the author's writing style, but once I did I couldn't put this book down. Mim and Nadia are so fleshed out and grow a lot throughout the book, and even the secondary characters like Ruth, Gale, and Nadia's parents were dynamic.

I found myself shipping and rooting for Mim and Nadia so hard! Their chemistry came through, which can be something difficult to do.

I did notice several typos over the course of the book, but they weren't too distracting (things like
Red
Jan 17, 2016 Red rated it really liked it
Really liked Juniper Lane. The fishbowl aspect of a rich, fussy suburban neighborhood and the politics therein were done nicely. The main leads, Mimosa and Nadia, were well drawn and I enjoyed watching them slowly fall in love while navigating life and difficult families and backgrounds. I like how the love story was threaded into a bigger one, it didn't feel like the only point of the book was them getting together, like a lot of romance novels can be. Nicely balanced. Bonus points for Nadia ...more
Anna
Apr 22, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly what I have been looking for lately. Great writing, especially for a debut novel, combines with painfully real characters to ensure that I will await Morrison's next book with anticipation.
Jjazzrockes
Jul 23, 2016 Jjazzrockes rated it really liked it
So very good. Familiar and rhythmic, in so far as plot, but at the same time surprising and engaging. Both Mim and Nadia are highly relatable narrators - it's a story about really not knowing what you're doing, which was quite comforting. And ofc, a wonderful and satisfactory ending :)
Julia
A ferocious takedown of wealthy suburban life, as well as a rich and rewarding queer romance. A fun read.
Katherine Hillis
Katherine Hillis rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2016
Eimear
Eimear rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2016
Jessie
Jessie rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Lizzy_someone
Lizzy_someone rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Wiski
Wiski rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Luiza Mello
Luiza Mello rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Elena
Jan 09, 2016 Elena rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up
Too mannered - or too labored - for me. Did not finish.
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Marina Costa
Marina Costa rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Pia
Pia rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Mintaka Angell
Mintaka Angell rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Among Other Things, I've Taken Up Smoking
  • A Hero at the End of the World
  • Social Blunders (GroVont Trilogy, #3)
  • Fragmentary Blue (Alex & CJ, #1)
  • American Yakuza
  • Silver Kiss
  • The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal
  • The Boys in the Band
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • Silver Collar (Garoul, #4)
  • Eat Your Heart Out
  • Bloody Claws (Kassandra Lyall, Preternatural Investigator, #3)
  • Untamed
  • Lunatic Fringe (Tales of the Pack, #1)
  • The Red Files
  • Shoebox Project
  • Start Here: Read Your Way Into 25 Amazing Authors
  • Infinite Loop

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“I’m sorry, Nadia,” Mim says, and she doesn’t know why, exactly, but they’re both gasping with laughter now, clutching their stomachs.
“I’m sorry, Mim,” Nadia says, all but howling.
“I’m sorry, Nadia!”
“I’m sorry, Mim!”
“You kids are really fucking weird,” Ruth yells from the living room, where she retreated with her own plate of leftover meatloaf some minutes before.
“We’re sorry!”