Start by marking “Sloop John B: A Pirate's Tale” as Want to Read:
Sloop John B: A Pirate's Tale

Sloop John B: A Pirate's Tale

Alan Jardine, a member of the original Beach Boys, has written a fun-filled pirate adventure based on the classic folk song Sloop John B. A young boy and his grandfather get trapped by pirates at sea, but triumphantly defeat the pirate and his crew!
Published June 1st 2005 by Milk & Cookies Press

To ask other readers questions about Sloop John B, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sloop John B

Stephanie
Jan 12, 2009 Stephanie rated it liked it
I chose Sloop John B: A Pirate's Tale, by Grammy-award winner Alan Jardine (of the Beach Boys), because I love the Beach Boys song. This is a revised version of the song for children, about a little boy and his grandfather, who while sailing on the Sloop John B encounter some dastardly pirates. I liked that I could sing the words to my daughter to the melody of the Beach Boys song, but I found the plot a little lacking. Once again, I found no internal conflict in the characters in the book. The ...more
Lara
Very cute--lovely illustrations, and as "Sloop John B" is clearly the best Beach Boys song ever, I was already predisposed to like this (although the altered lyrics and the way the words on the CD don't exactly match what's written in the book weirded me out a little at first). In this version, Jardine has made it a story about a boy and his grandfather who are boarded by pirates but then manage to get the upper hand and win the day (which is much more kid-friendly and entertaining than boy and ...more
Jenni Frencham
Jul 18, 2016 Jenni Frencham rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
The art, the text size are appropriate for preschool. The rhymes, though: "The pirate/ he got the fits/ And threw away my grits." Really? If the gentle rhyming text had made sense, this would be a perfect storytime book. As it is, though, it won't be joining my storytime during Pirate Week in September.
Ina
Oct 29, 2014 Ina rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
The text is based on the lyrics of the song "Sloop John B" made famous by the Beach Boys - with pirates thrown in. The book comes with a CD of the author singing it - so you can let your audience listen to the book while you turn pages. The illustrations are fun and colorful. Fun, read - or sing - aloud.
Kellie Fronk
Sep 12, 2016 Kellie Fronk rated it really liked it
Creative and fun book. I would use this in the classroom to help students understand the vocabulary associated with different themes. I think it's also fun to practice reading in different poetry verses.
Carin
Feb 24, 2008 Carin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I did a project for school on this book a few years ago, and have loved it since! THe book comes with a CD of the text to a song and my kids have the song memorized!
Emerson and Theodore
Oct 03, 2012 Emerson and Theodore rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-books
Just because you're a Beach Boy founding member DOES NOT mean you can write a children's book!
Deanna
Jan 20, 2008 Deanna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with boys that loves pirates
This book is a very fun children's book that my boys loved!It is the words to a famous Beach Boy song put to great pictures!
Jill
Jul 09, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
I like this adaptation of the old Beach Boys song! It makes a lot more sense to me than the song did when I was a kid! Ha! Great illustrations, too.
Jobie
Jan 24, 2008 Jobie rated it it was amazing
GREAT book w/ read and sing along CD. Andrew liked it so much that he decided to cut it with scissors! And subsequently, we bought it from the library.
Justin Guardiani
Justin Guardiani rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Althea
Althea rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2014
Olivia Stankey
Olivia Stankey rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2014
Hayley Andersen
Hayley Andersen rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Briana Warner
Mar 24, 2017 Briana Warner rated it liked it
Shelves: el-ed-340
fun story to share with the kids! I read it aloud this week and played the beach boys song for the kids before I read it to give them context and to help them make connections with the text. Imaginative and engaging!
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2013
Erin Steinsultz
Erin Steinsultz rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Lynne Marie
Lynne Marie rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2017
Courtney
Apr 22, 2011 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: bobo-challenge
Love the illustrations and the grandpa character, but I didn't care for the verse.
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2013
Richie
Richie rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2013
Jim
Jim rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2014
Destin
Destin rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013
Maya
Maya rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Sara Dalton
Sara Dalton rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Alycia
Alycia rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2008
Nancy Prather
Nancy Prather rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015