Start by marking “What Would Machiavelli Do?: The Ends Justify the Meanness” as Want to Read:
What Would Machiavelli Do?: The Ends Justify the Meanness

What Would Machiavelli Do?: The Ends Justify the Meanness

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  42 reviews
What Would Machiavelli Do?

He would feast on other people's discord
He wouldn't exactly seek the company of ass-kissers and bimbos, but he wouldn't reject them out of hand either
He would realize that loving yourself means never having to say you're sorry
He would kill people, but only if he could feel good about himself afterward
He would establish and maintain a psychotic lev
Published January 1st 1900 by HarperBusiness

To ask other readers questions about What Would Machiavelli Do?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Would Machiavelli Do?

Jon
I find it amazing that many reviewers cannot see good sarcasm when it hits them in their head. I have read many reviews of this book that mistake it for being actual advice on how to run your business. Some skeptics even suggest that Mr. Bing ought to have put out a disclaimer stating "this is a work of sarcasm".

This book is very funny and I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions.

The book is basically a recipe of what to do if you plan on being a totally self-centered asshole with
Grey
As a tongue-in-cheek tour of bad behavior and its obvious disbenefits, the book is fun. The good writing and humor rescue it from uselessness. Only piece of advice I found worth remembering: [in the text of the need to be ultra-paranoid:] "And for goodness sake, don't forget to leave at least 90 percent of your paranoia at the office! it's a great way to manage your professional life, but as a personal strategy, it stinks!" OK, so it's not really so great professionally, either, but it's a remin ...more
James
The basic joke is good for a little while, but not enough to sustain a whole book, and it's been rendered less humorous by the events of the Bush years. The basic theme is that the author is, tongue in cheek, advocating the adoption of total ruthlessness, abusiveness, and amorality as an interpersonal style. The problem for me is that after all the corporate and political scandals of the last eight years, after the Iraq war, it's not very funny anymore, and I can't read this without seeing the f ...more
Lavinia
I'm a long, long way from the corporate world, and I'm all in favour of downshifting and simple living, so the applicability of the Machiavellian advice is far from happening. But, hey, I do enjoy humour and business anecdotes!
Miguel Pais
This is a fantastic, really funny book on how evil can help get where you want to, and I loved reading it. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have an open mind, though!
Barbra Davila
Genial, maléfico y sarcástico. Me he topado en mi vida profesional con personas que se adaptan a la perfección con el perfil de este libro y sorprendentemente son existosas!! Si!! Exitosas pero irónicamente solitarias. ¿Despues de todo, para que te sirve tanto éxito si no tienes con quien compartirlo? De mi parte sólo puedo decir que me he identificado en par de puntitos y no me queda más que admitir que existe una fina linea entre el respeto y el miedo, ingredientes necesarios, entre algunos ot ...more
Mloy
This was a really interesting book and very helpful in understanding business "princes", a.k.a. bosses. I can just hear some business guru spewing the contents of this book during some work seminar/workshop, teaching the attendees about Michiavellian mentality. I appreciate the ideas behind this book and a lot of it makes sense. Some of it actually already applies to me (scary enough) but it will take a little more time for me to be as mean as this book requires.... *sigh* sadly, my loser instin ...more
Phil
Fun little book that is disturbingly close to real life self-help books.

This is a satirical how-to succeed at life book, purporting to teach the reader how to think and act as a completely A-moral prick. It is full of examples of business types who have made it through the top through sociopathics and prefect selfishness... and bullshit, so much bullshit.

Being 14 years old at this point I think things have moved forward so that much of the humour in the sheer excess of certain actions have beco
Dawn Burrell
I liked this book, but didn't love it. It is a very tongue and cheek way to look at the world of business. While I do agree with some of the points Bing makes about being a busines man/woman, some are just very far-fetched and would only really work for high-powered CEO's. Could you imagine going to work and yelling as often and as loudly as you wanted at everyone? Or knowing that your long-time secretary has the trip of a lifetime planned but you coax her into coming into work and canceling her ...more
Barbara Ab
The author is extremely canny. I would say it is a manual based on self-experience. :0) Cynic and smart. You have to take it with a lot of sense of humour even if selfishness is without any doubt the gift of many managers. I did not appreciate the yelling phase to the secretary . :0PPP
Katrina
This book had some pretty funny stuff in it. I am not cut-throat so I couldn't take any of it seriously. I will pass this book on to someone morally challenged enough to climb on people on their way up the ladder.
Waseem
This started of promising, and to some extent amusing/entertaining...but I didn't realise the tone and style of book (amusing ..and perhaps bemusing even) will be consistent all the way through...I had an audio version and being honest there were problems with the audio file at times which muted some audio at times, but everytime it would fix itself didn't motivate me to keep listening and catch my enthusiasm again

I'd highly recommend Rpbert Greene's work like 48 laws of power etc which is 100%
Philip
I picked up this book for the first time when it was initially released many years ago. I've always enjoyed Machiavelli- Florentine Renaissance internecine politics is a good subject to study early in one's career, but I've learned, being MEAN just get's people mad. I reformed my ways, and now, reading this book again many years later- it just makes me ill. I'm revising my rating and downgrading it with the following quote from another favorite author:

“This is not a novel to be tossed aside ligh
Cody Sexton
Stanley Bing, with tongue held firmly in cheek, instructs us in the art of becoming a dick. This was a fun little book made less so once you realize how applicable it is in our daily lives. ...more
Joe
This is possibly the worst book I've ever read. I feel like it was written by a 15 year old angry teenager living with his parents who has smoked a bit too much weed,, believes every conspiracy theory going and is avoided by girls for being a freak.

The fact it was written by a columnist at Fortune magazine will ensure that I never waste my money on an issue of that magazine.

I don't think Hitler, Sadam Hussein, Pol Pot or Slobodan Milosevic are the type of people I want to learn from.
Qing Wang
Sometimes people, including me, tend to beautify those who succeed in...well, whatever. This book makes it clear that to succeed in business have nothing to do with being a nice person, and actually, quite opposite. So, a common employee should never mistake the big boss to be a philanthrophist. Don't mix up work and personal stuff. In other words, try to behave, to be professional.
Megatherium
Nov 27, 2011 Megatherium marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Quite surprised I could not get into this book. His columns are funny; however the same set of ideas taken to book length was just too much vitriol for me to swallow. Doubtless hypocrisy on my part, but what can I say? His columns generally leave my chuckling, this left me with a sense my hands needed a good washing.

(Abandoned at 50 pages)
Froztwolf
Quite a bizarre book. The advice is probably valid if all you want to do is succeed in the business world, regardless of your health, happiness and relationships with other people, but most of the points in the book aren't advice I would give to my worst enemy.

Guess I have all this empathy getting in the way of my success.
Inda
this a crazy book i ever read, bergidik rasanya. buku ini bercerita bagaimana cara mencapai kesuksesan dalam bisnis dengan segala cara dan lebih kejam, disini banyak dijelaskan bagaimana seorang machiavelian itu berpikir dan bertindak. sekedar tahu aja sih bahwa ada orang di luar sana yang bisa seperti itu.
Alan Chen
The book is tolerable only in small bites. Otherwise, the lack of flow drags the book down, as each lesson spans 1-3 pages. For context, my book was ~140 pages. The book isn't even funny in a satirical fashion, it's just relentlessly arrogant. Faithful to the philosopher? Maybe. Enjoyable? no.
Sabreena
Having been a machiavelli myself...I can say the author forgot to talk about mutiny. If you want to rule forever. You gotta be a friend. At least pretend to be one. So the fools will keep voting for you forever and ever. Shouting will only cause mutiny....Now we wouldnt want that now...would we?
Celia
Es un relato nada humanista, frío y distante describiendo las relaciones que se desarrollan en los corporativos, pero con un humor bárbaro, varias veces solté la carcajada y termine amando el libro no tanto por los consejos sino por el humor atrabancado del autor.
Katrina
Too damned funny! I listened to it & hearing the narrator dropping the f-bomb in his refined British accent was priceless. The premise of the book is a finger in the face to the business community as we know it today (yes I'm guilty too).
Ritsky
Like the satyr.
(edit) Unfortunately, since I read the translated edition, I feel that the cynicism would much more making sense in its English terms. It just feels "weird" reading it translated into other language.
Chilton
An old favorite (published 1999) that one might think had come from the glory days of the 1980's. Anyway re-read it for fun - the tips on getting ahead while eviscerating enemies always cheer me up.
Frank
I didn't actually finish this book, but I got tired of it and stopped reading. It is occasionally funny, but the sarcastic style got old with me after a while.
Mike Rogero
Amusing if read as a humor book, but I couldn't take it seriously as would a life led as this book suggests be worth living? My personal opinion...no.
LS
Nothing new. I've done some of the stuff on here once or twice. It's like a funnier version of The 48 Laws of Power.

I did enjoy the stories.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on office politics which will happen to you and around you whether you participate in politics or not.
Kevin
Absolutely hilarious.

You work hard, you save the company money, you deserve that spa day on the company time and tab. :)
  • The First
  • Solar Storms: A Prequel Short Story to Orbs (Orbs Series, #0.1)
  • Shiva in Steel (Berserker, #11)
  • The Time Travel Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Velvet Dogma
  • Dark as Day (Cold as Ice, #3)
  • Darwin's Bastards: Astounding Tales from Tomorrow
  • Counting from Zero
  • The Fourth World
  • Mind Changer (Sector General, #11)
  • Information Cloud (Tales of Cinnamon City, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Time Travel SF
  • Space Race I: Solar Flare
  • 2184
  • Fabulosity: What It Is and How to Get It
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • Year's Best SF 14
  • Budayeen Nights
Sun Tzu Was a Sissy: Conquer Your Enemies, Promote Your Friends, and Wage the Real Art of War Rome, Inc.: The Rise and Fall of the First Multinational Corporation Throwing the Elephant: Zen and the Art of Managing Up 100 Bullshit Jobs...And How to Get Them You Look Nice Today: A Novel