Start by marking “Little Elliot, Big City” as Want to Read:
Little Elliot, Big City

Little Elliot, Big City (Little Elliot)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,541 Ratings  ·  269 Reviews
Amid the hustle and bustle of the big city, the big crowds and bigger buildings, Little Elliot leads a quiet life. In spite of the challenges he faces, Elliot finds many wonderful things to enjoy—like cupcakes! And when his problems seem insurmountable, Elliot discovers something even sweeter—a friend.
Published August 26th 2014 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Little Elliot, Big City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Elliot, Big City

The Adventures of Beekle by Dan SantatSam and Dave Dig a Hole by Mac BarnettThe Right Word by Jennifer Fisher BryantSparky! by Jenny OffillFirefly July A Year of Very Short Poems by Paul B. Janeczko
2015 Mock Caldecott
27th out of 81 books — 246 voters
Once Upon an Alphabet by Oliver JeffersTelephone by Mac BarnettThe Adventures of Beekle by Dan SantatThe Girl and the Bicycle by Mark PettFlora and the Penguin by Molly Idle
SLC Library Best Picture Books of 2014
22nd out of 44 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Niki (Daydream Reader)
You know you have a winner of a book when a second grade student says, "I want to marry Elliot! He is so cute." The things my students say....LOL! But I really do want Elliot in stuffed animal form! I just loved this book and so did my 2nd graders. Also, added bonus...I think Elliot and Babymouse would be fast friends...They both love cupcakes! :)
Cheryl
Aug 02, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it
How cute is Elliot? So cute, that when I set the book on the table to read, by the time I turned back from pouring a drink, my 20 yo son had grabbed the book and was reading it. And when he was done he said, yes, you guessed it, "Aww, so cute."

You know what I appreciate? He's not wearing any clothes. Far too often critters are wearing just a shirt... as if that's a nod to decency? Or are wearing too many clothes, as if they're human. No, Elliot is comfortable in his spots, tyvm.

And I just love t
Стефан Русинов
Една от най-хубавите рисувани книги, на които съм попадал скоро. Каквото ми трябва, го има: красиви рисунки, които сами разказват историята и могат да бъдат четени и от читатели, които не могат да четат; хумор и лекота в отношението на автора към героите и на героите към света, бил той и не съвсем благоприятен; история, която демонстрира, че един възможен начин да подобриш себе си е като се сдружиш с друго същество, при това съвсем различно.

Забелязах, че издателството е “Прозорче”. Готин подход
Gaby
Jun 26, 2014 Gaby rated it it was amazing
THE BEST.
M. Lauritano
Oct 04, 2015 M. Lauritano rated it it was ok
This is one that is always on the back of my mind, because an agent I met told me that I needed an 'Elliot' in my portfolio if I ever wanted to get a book out there. With book two of three in the series coming out in a few days, I thought now would be a good time to organize my thoughts on this cutesy underdog story.

Mike Curato makes some really interesting choices here: setting the story in 1940s New York, coloring scenes with a rich, subdued palette, and featuring a protagonist who is childlik
Mary Louise
Before I even read this heartwarming story, I noticed the dedication page: "For anyone who feels unnoticed." What a sweet thought for the author to have! Little Elliot is a small elephant who feels lost and unnoticed in the big city. No one sees him, and even little things like washing the dishes are a challenge for him! One day, he comes across someone even smaller than him- a mouse- and he finds a way to help the mouse out. A friendship is formed, and Little Elliot no longer feels small. A ...more
Jana
This was a cute story about a little elephant, who has a difficult time getting around the city because he's so small. He is so small that he finds it difficult to buy cupcakes. When he helps out someone who's even smaller than himself, he learns something about friendship.
Debrarian
A small elephant feels overlooked in the big city. Meh. Appealing-enough, vintage-y illustrations aren't enough to enliven a lackluster story. Read for library book group.
Peacegal
Aug 21, 2014 Peacegal rated it liked it
This is a very cute book but it threw me a little that the elephant seems directly lifted from "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer." Did they get permission?
Samantha
Sep 09, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it
Elliot is a little elephant who loves living in the big city, but gets frustrated with being overlooked due to his size. He makes many adaptations, but it's not until he meets an animal smaller than himself, a hungry mouse, that he feels his true worth and gains a friend.

Artwork has a muted color palette with a hazy green tinge to it. I really liked all of the vignettes in which Elliot adapts to a world much bigger than himself. They provided essential characterization and offered a little humor
Angela
Jun 10, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Get a peek at Mike Curato's gentle, creative soul as you meet Little Elliot, his BIG world and his even BIGGGER heart.

This is a story about feeling lost in a BIG world and then realizing that you are never alone. There are always people struggling more than you and in need of a kind hand.

There is so much wonderful detail in these completely original illustrations there is not point in cataloging them here.

A nice gift for young people feeling small and a must-have for school library collection
Sassy
Feb 02, 2015 Sassy rated it really liked it
I didn't finish it before because a mouse appeared. I hate stories with mice. Why is that a thing? I need to know.

The illustrations in this book brought me back. On my re-read, I forgot the mouse was coming. The colors and style convey a sense of quiet vs noise that subtly lifts off the page. Readers will feel for little Elliot living in big 1950s New York City and his quiet life.

I really couldn't take my eyes off the pages; the illustrations remind me of an episode of Archer with a subdued co
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Sep 20, 2014 Erik This Kid Reviews Books rated it it was amazing
Little Elliot is an amazingly cute little elephant. Who doesn’t love him? Come on? Who didn’t see Elliot on the cover and go “Awwwww”? ;) Mr. Curato has written a great story about friendship. I like how Elliot meets someone smaller than him and together they tackle the big city! The illustrations are magnificent. I like how it seems to take place in the 1940’s. The cars are well-drawn (and pretty cool). The clothing on the people match the time period too. I love the feel you get from just the ...more
Kristine Hansen
Sep 15, 2015 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
The setting for this story looks like New York City in the 1940s. Love the feel of the illustrations, love the storyline. There's been times in my life where I've felt very invisible so I sympathize immediately with this plight. It's hard being small in such a very big world. The real beauty of the story comes in the messages given - that there's always someone smaller than you, and that facing difficulty with a friend makes all the difference.

And cupcakes. Life needs more cupcakes.
Mary
Jan 10, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
The author dedicates this book "for anyone who feels unnoticed" and this is the heart of the story. Little Elliot is an endearing polka-dotted elephant who is always in the mood for cupcakes and is in need of a bit of attention. The 1940's style illustrations are gorgeous; I especially enjoyed the cover with the title shaped liked apartment buildings. I hope to see more Little Elliot stories.
Jillian Heise
A new favorite picture book! Wonderful illustrations and a heart-warming story of an elephant who is all alone in the big city, but when he helps out someone even smaller than himself, he finds help in return...and a new friend. And there are cupcakes!
I think Elliot and Elmer would be friends.
Paula Hollohan
Dec 09, 2014 Paula Hollohan rated it it was amazing
I like the character. Great beginning of the school year book about finding friends and enjoying who you are. I really like the illustrations with retro treasures. Great! Wonderful classroom storybook K-3.
Laura Harrison
Feb 25, 2015 Laura Harrison rated it really liked it
I very much wanted to be blown away by this title. Lots of buzz and publicity for it. The illustrations are warm, endearing and lovely. The story is not particularly original but very likeable. I am looking forward to more books by this author.
Beth
Sep 14, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
No doubt we need to get Merrymakers on board with creating a Little Elliot plush doll. What a darling story and endearing illustrations! I'm not sure if this one is in contention for a Caldecott (though I think it should be) but I'm thinking it has a chance for a Geisel for sure.
Mary
Sep 20, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: mice
The illustrations are cute, and it's a good book for children who may feel alienated from the adult world because of size - but my favorite part was really the mouse buying cupcakes with Elliot.
Kristen
This delighted me! It was sweet, but not cloyingly so, just like the perfect little cupcake. The art was wonderful. Nice friendship story.
Adam Silvera
Jul 28, 2014 Adam Silvera rated it it was amazing
Curato's illustrations are EXCELLENT and the story is lovely. Fingers crossed for more Elliot books.
Gigi
Anyone who helps you get cupcakes is a good friend. This is an adorable story of friendship and finding ones place in the world.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
a small elephant and an even tinier mouse and cupcakes...do you really need more?! Loved the artwork and story
Sharon
Dec 09, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
You'll eat this one up and revel in life's pleasures, big and small (...and all those shaped like cupcakes!).
Edward Sullivan
Oct 04, 2014 Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A polka-dotted elephant new to the big city and feeling invisible makes friends with a white mouse. A charming, warm friendship story superbly illustrated.
Hansel  and Gretel
Aug 27, 2014 Hansel and Gretel rated it did not like it
The drawings are nice, if oversweet. The problem is the story, banally written and so cliché that it hurts my stomach.
Jj
Jan 05, 2015 Jj rated it it was ok
Holy cow. This book really is cuter than almost anything, but...is it much more than that? I'm not sure.
Kimberly
Oct 24, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Oh my word. This book is darling. I think I'm going to buy it for my sister.
Carrie Gelson
Simple. Sweet. Certain illustrations knocked me over. A small treasure.
Henrico Youth Boo...: Little Elliot, Big City 1 5 Oct 27, 2014 09:07AM
Free Books, .99 &...: One copy of Little Elliot Big City! 1 14 Aug 26, 2014 02:54PM
  • Hooray for Hat!
  • The Invisible Boy
  • Leo: A Ghost Story
  • Three Bears in a Boat
  • The Farmer and the Clown
MIKE was born and raised in the suburbs of New York City. He has been drawing ever since he could hold a pencil. Mike attended Syracuse University and has a BFA in Illustration. After college, he moved to Seattle, where he eventually began a career as a graphic designer. You can see examples of Mike's design work here. In 2012, Mike finally achieved his lifelong goal of becoming a published author ...more
More about Mike Curato...

Little Elliot (3 books)