Start by marking “Approaching the Speed of Light” as Want to Read:
Approaching the Speed of Light

Approaching the Speed of Light

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
It's said that the flapping of a butterfly's wing can start a chain reaction that leads to an unstoppable storm. In the same way, random twists of fate and transitory acts of kindness and cruelty can shape our destinies, just as we affect the people around us . . . sometimes in ways we can't possibly imagine.

Jody is a likable young man getting by in New York City at the tu
Published July 22nd 2014 by Forge Books (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Approaching the Speed of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Approaching the Speed of Light

Caitlin
This was the single, hardest book I have ever read.

This book is not for the faint of heart. It deals with child abuse on a scale that is disturbing and will keep you up at night. Unfortunately, I was already invested in this book and in the life of little Christopher, before the scenes escalated to this level. I had to skip whole sections, because I couldn't take the imagery. Had the abuse been on that level in the beginning, I would have given up on the book, knowing what it would do to my mind
Patty
Sep 25, 2013 Patty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Approaching The Speed Of Light
By
Victoria Lustbader

My "in a nutshell" summary...

This is Jody's story and it is the story of his very sad disturbing life.

My thoughts after reading this book...

I really am sort of silenced by this book. It was truly enlightening and truly sad. It sort of took my breath away.

It is the story of Jody...whose first nine years of life were horrible! His mother hated him...he had no real father...his grandfather hated him...and the man he thought loved him turned out to
Barbara Justiniano
Excellent read. Be warned, there are quite a few tough scenes in this book that may be upsetting to some people. I cried quite a few times during the reading of this novel, but definitely an excellent story that really got to me.
Steph G
Sep 10, 2013 Steph G rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was disturbing, traumatizing, mystical and above all, heartbreaking. I needed to skim some pages. I had to toughen up, but I think it was worth it.
Darcia Helle
This is a difficult book for me to rate. Some parts are beautifully written and poignant, many are heartbreaking, and other parts feel overly contrived.

Sadness permeates this story. The characters, particularly Jody, are so weighed down by the emotion that it has nowhere to go but into the reader. I found myself falling into that pit along with him, and I would have liked something to grasp to help me float along the way.

Despite this overwhelming sadness, the story is well told. We get right ins
Olivia Eliza
Emotional turmoil should be the real title of this book. It's beautiful, heavy, challenging, sweet, heart-wrenching, with an unlikely yet perfected predestined love story, and an ending that will leave you changed, and speechless. Read if you dare.
Glenda Harris
Tried to read this but it was a little strange. Maybe I didn't give it long enough but I ended up setting it aside. I loved her book, "Stone Creek".
Janice
Nov 05, 2014 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you read to get away from the news about the horrendous way people treat others, then this book is not for you. I went back to read the inside jacket to see if I missed what this story is about but, for the main character, it referred to a 'secret past'. I wouldn't be giving anything away if you read the other comments - the secret past is child abuse. The story deals with how abuse damages a child and defines their adult life. The depictions are upsetting. But when you listen to the news, ar ...more
Annie
Jul 31, 2014 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book of many levels. The child abuse was difficult to read, but necessary. I loved the "karmic" explanations.
Lisa Schneider
Jun 01, 2014 Lisa Schneider rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book
Crystal
Feb 15, 2014 Crystal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Lucinda Schelton
First the book had an other worldly feel I enjoyed but the child abuse line took me by surprise and frankly would not have chosen it if I had known beforehand. That being said, it left me feeling bereft and sad. Not uplifted or hopeful. It's well written but hopeless. So think twice before undertaking this novel.
Cathie
Oct 08, 2013 Cathie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the most difficult book I have ever read. The mortifying details of repeated child abuse,the fight for survival and love, the solitary relationship between a damaged kid and his dog.

Reading this book was so emotionally difficult, I thought I wouldn't be able to continue.

I'm glad I did.

Heartbreaking, but oddly inspiring as well. Perhaps love can overcome anything, and truly does live on forever.
Shirley
Feb 04, 2014 Shirley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
I was enjoying the beginning of this book. But right now my MS brains can not finish it. I have brain fog and I was getting confused reading it.
I will try it again, if I remember.
Pam Mitchell
Apr 29, 2014 Pam Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book a few weeks ago...it haunts me.
Dana Gray johnson
This was a great book! I have a huge hangover and I need time to recover! So real! I didn't want to go to bed and did not skip a single page! Read it! It does not disappoint!
Christen
Oct 13, 2013 Christen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was a 5-star book for me right up until the end. It was a sad, yet beautiful book. I don't know what a better ending would have been, but I did not enjoy the ending.
Kariss
Nov 10, 2013 Kariss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow... gripping story happy sad scary
with a great dog
not to mention reference to any Neal Stephenson's book....
Paula
Sep 09, 2013 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horribly depressing read. Had to finish it just to see what happened.
Kathryn
Oct 13, 2013 Kathryn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: bookreporter
It's just not capturing my interst. Maybe sometime later.
Deb
Oct 02, 2013 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had me in tears! So heart wrenching and sad
Bob Prociuk
Bob Prociuk marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Dreamjeanie
Dreamjeanie rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Mysha K.
Mysha K. marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
JEO Ocean
JEO Ocean rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Brenda Davis
Brenda Davis rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Lauren Victoria
Lauren Victoria is currently reading it
Dec 07, 2015
Tara
Tara is currently reading it
Dec 04, 2015
Mhill7857
Mhill7857 rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Sarah Robinson
Sarah Robinson marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
  • The Chronicles of Articia: Children of the Dead
  • Seven Tears
  • Tethers (The Tethers Trilogy #1)
  • Grace at Low Tide
  • The Lost Prince (Guardians of Aandor, #2)
  • Please Don't Remove Margreat's Glasses!
  • MONAD The Awakening of Stella Steinar
  • Goat Mountain
  • Believe
  • The Herbalist
  • Traps
  • Reflection (Whitney Steel, #1)
  • Drowned
  • Note to Self
  • What Are the Chances: A Novel
  • Voodoo Dreams: A Novel of Marie Laveau
  • Drift
  • The Fat Woman Mystery
Victoria Schochet Lustbader was born and raised in New York City, the youngest of three children and only daughter of Rubin Schochet, a Lithuanian émigré, and Dorothy Hertz Schochet, a second generation Russian.

Drawn to the arts from a young age, Victoria studied ballet for ten years, played the piano and guitar, wrote poetry and stories. Always fascinated as well with the sciences and languages,
More about Victoria Lustbader...