Start by marking “The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man

The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  826 ratings  ·  237 reviews
“The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man introduces my favorite kind of flawed cynical protagonist in Ruddy McCann, former football star, now Repo Man in a small town full of memorable weirdos. It's suspenseful, action-packed, romantic, and above all, truly funny. I loved it.”—Nelson DeMille, New York Times bestselling author

Ruddy McCann, former college football star, has experi
Published October 28th 2014 by Forge Books (first published September 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man

Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*

This book is so much fun.
Ruddy McCann was an all star football player destined for greatness in the big leagues..then a bad thing happened and he ended up as a repo man and part time bouncer in his co-owner bar.
The man has some crap luck..between getting his arse kicked during a repo by a goose named Doris.

He starts hearing what at first he thinks is the stuffed bear in the bar's voice..........

As it turns out somehow a dead realtor named Alan has ended up in his head. Alan wants Ru
Melki
Feb 05, 2015 Melki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melki by: Jaye
description

Ruddy McCann's life was pretty sucky even before he started hearing a voice in his head. Since that career in the NFL thing didn't pan out, he's been working as a repo man and bouncer in his sister's bar. He didn't think it was possible, but things are going to get a whole lot worse.

The voice - who is it? What does it want?

Turns out, the voice has a name - Alan, and he's not any happier about the situation than Ruddy. As he astutely observes, "I'm a man trapped in a man's body."

This, of course
Mike French
Apr 27, 2015 Mike French rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mike by: Pamela
Thank you Pamela for the recommendation. I loved the quirks of this story. Different than any book I can recall reading before. Kept me interested from start to the finish! So far this my favorite book that I read in 2015. Took me longer than normal to read,because I only could get in small print and my tired,old eyes need bright light which I don't have at home! I highly recommend this book if you have a quirky sense of humor!
Allen Adams

The hero’s journey is one of the oldest stories that we tell. There have been endless variations on that theme; a multitude of takes on the idea. And yet, so many storytellers find ways to keep that seemingly ageless idea fresh.

Introducing a flawed hero into the equation is one way to do it. Finding a way to put a kink in the paths usually traveled is another. And if you can do both, well…then you’ve got something interesting.

That’s what W. Bruce Cameron h
Wart *Rainbows, beauty, and death* Hill
Read this and other reviews at Things I Find While Shelving

I received a free ARC via NetGalley

Ruddy McCann, Repo Man (not as in Repo the Genetic Opera, but as in “You did not make the payments for that you do not get to keep it”), has a strange dream. In this dream, he gets killed. When he wakes up, he puts it out of his mind. Until he starts hearing a voice in his head. Initially, he just chalks it up to going crazy, but it turns out that voice is the voice of the man who died, one Alan Lottner
Brian
I absolutely loved this book, which came as a total surprise to me. It was up there as one of the best books I read this year. The plot is pretty odd: our main character, Ruddy, is a repo man who deals with some unsavory characters. He gives a lot of his earnings to the family bar that he and his sister Becky inherited after their parents passed away. One night, while in said bar, he begins to hear a voice in his head. The voice of a man named Alan who claims he was murdered. Ruddy decides to fi ...more
Pamela
Uber Awesome!!! The Midnight Plan of the REPO MAN: A fun, delightfully unique mystery ride. This is one of those zany-good drama/action/mysteries, if my pockets were lined with a plethora of green I’d buy oodles of copies to hand out to folks in need of a lift from the doldrums.

Ruddy McCann is a character whom I’d love to have as a friend. He’s a down-to-earth affable guy who is patient with his quirky friends, long-suffering with his love-forlorn sister, and calculatingly sly boosting repos an
Jamie
3.5 stars. This was a lot of fun, even though the dog didn’t feature as much as I expected him to. I’ve never read anything by this author before, and I was pleasantly surprised. This is decidedly heartwarming, but it’s also funny and suspenseful.

It’s more of a comedic crime novel than a murder mystery. Ruddy’s repo man adventures are slightly reminiscent of Stephanie Plum’s bail bond escapades, except that Ruddy is actually pretty good at his job. The voice in Ruddy’s head is the single fantasy
Susan
I have a soft spot for characters who are screw-ups with good hearts, and Ruddy (like the complexion) is exactly that. And he repossesses cars for a living, an occupation no one holds in high esteem. (As an aside, I never understood the contempt for repo men. You promise to pay for a car, you don't pay, you don't return it, it gets taken away. What is so nefarious about that?)

This story by W. Bruce Cameron, the author of A Dog's Purpose among other books, is entertaining and mostly fluffy with a
Phillis
Since I read two of Cameron's other books, (A Dog's Journey, A Dog's Purpose), and liked both, I thought I would read this one. I certainly am glad I did. I really like the story line, the characters, and the some what humorous tale of the Repo Man. It starts out simple enough with Ruddy McCann trying to make a living stealing other peoples vehicles in the middle of the night. He strictly works on commission to the lien holders of said vehicles. Some repos give him more trouble than others. Take ...more
Robert Haught
Who knew a "repo man" could have such an exciting life?
Ruddy McCann steals cars for a living. He also works as a bouncer in the bar run by his sister.
But to make life even more interesting, Ruddy begins hearing a voice in his head.
It is the spirit of Alan Lottner, a real estate agent who had disappeared from their small northern Michigan town seven years ago.
At first, Ruddy thinks he's going bonkers. Too many blows to his head in bar fights. Or worse, the dreaded "Repo Madness." The voice becom
Kaylie
The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man is the perfect rainy day book. It’s filled with an odd cast of characters, dry humor, irony, cute romance, and packed with action. In my two sittings of reading, I burst out laughing multiple times.

Ruddy McCann’s the star of the show. A former football player with high hopes for NFL fame, his life comes crashing down after an accident. His dreams of stardom evaporate, and he’s stuck in the middle of nowhere, Michigan, as a repo man/bouncer for his sister Becky’
Danny Stevens
Man I loved this book. I heard it was funny but people always say that and then I never laugh out loud even once. I laughed a TON at this, and was totally caught up in the story and the characters. Totally recommend this one and I'm in for the series, because I like to read that way. Jack Reacher is my favorite hero of these kinds of books, but I have to say, Ruddy McCann the Repo Man might give Jack a run for his money, because Jack isn't funny, and Ruddy is!
Amy
Ruddy McCann is a repo man. On the side he is the bouncer at the bar his parents left to his sister Becky. The bar isn't doing well financially and when Ruddy's boss's nephew Kermit gets involved, Ruddy is worried that things will go from bad to worse.
As if that wasn't bad enough, after having a bad dream in which he was murdered by 2 men, Ruddy is now hearing a voice in his head. The voice of a man who was murdered. The voice of the man who is the father of the woman he is interested in.
Now Rud
Victoria
I have heard good things about Cameron’s earlier novels (I even own two of them, unread on my shelves!), but this is the first one that I have read - and what an enjoyable read it is! It’s a surprisingly hilarious book albeit with a ridiculous premise (Ruddy, ex-football star and now titular Repo Man suddenly starts to hear the voice of a murdered man in his head) that just works so brilliantly. The Michigan characters all feel authentic and Ruddy makes for a charming, lovable, down-on-his-luck ...more
Lynn
Full review at Smoke & Mirrors: http://books-n-music.blogspot.com/201.... Excellent book! Great mystery! Nice little romance! Like Bruce, I will use as many exclamation points as I wish!! (From the acknowledgements section... :)) Ooh, the bad guys were really bad! There is a sequel in the works, too! I like Ruddy. I really liked Alan. Albert Einstein Croft and Doris! That was something similar to what I might find in a Stephanie Plum novel! :)

Cameron's humor appears throughout and really hei
Carol
Ruddy is a former college football player who spent time in prison and now works as a repo man in northern Michigan. He's rough and not only does he "steal cars for a living," but he works as a bar co-owned with his sister. On a normal day, a voice of a murdered man takes up residence in his head, sending him on a rollicking mystery.
I picked up this book expecting a fun read, a la the Stephanie Plum series, but the humor in this book did not work for me. Much of it felt forced and corny with ch
George Palmer
I only read this because I loved his other books, A Dog's Purpose and A Dog's Journey so much. I only read those books because my daughter begged me to read them.

I approached this one with some trepidation, I don't read dog books, but I loved the other two. However, I am a big mystery, thriller fan, and sometimes I like a book with an interesting paranormal twist, like The Lovely Bones.

So in other words, this one is really in my wheelhouse, as a reader, and I was so sure I would be disappointe
Kate Ayers
Five stars for absolute fun. Ruddy McCann, fallen football star, disappointment to his family and not real proud of himself, is eking out a living towing away bank repos. Unsurprisingly, he has to be quite creative in his tactics, since people who possess cars they quit paying for tend to be less than cooperative about giving them back. As if things are bleak enough for Ruddy, he starts hearing voices in his head. No, make that just one voice. And the voice has a name. Alan. Alan claims to have ...more
Sandy Lenahan
I read every page of the book I'm reading, I have to I'm a nerd. All I can say is thank goodness I do otherwise this review would have been full of outrage!

The story should not have ended with so many unanswered questions but after reading the acknowledgements I know there will be future Repo Man books to fill in the blanks - happiness and joy! Now it's just a question of when : )

The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man is full of Cameron's trademark wit and well written characters.

Alan has got to be
Lindsay Silcox
Sometimes you just need a silly, charming, feel-good kind of book, and that's exactly what W. Bruce Cameron delivers here -- with some mystery, a little romance, an absolutely loveable dog and the ghost of a murdered Realtor thrown in.

Once destined for the NFL, Ruddy McCann lives in small-town Michigan and works as a repo man, a thankless job taking back vehicles when people default on payments. One night he has a strange dream -- a dream in which he's chased down and murdered -- and the next da
Philip
Like to thank the person who selected me to get a copy of this book.

This book was a surprise for me, at first I thought it was going to be a 'lay it down and never finish it'. But, to my amazement once you get over in the book it has a good story line.

Ruddy McCann, repo man, former college football star, helps out at the Black Bear; a family business, helps out and is a part time bouncer and a guy with a simple life. Ruddy has a dream about a guy going to sell some property and ends up being k
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Ruddy had great prospects in life as the college football star. Now however, he's a repo man collecting the cars from people who can't/won't pay for them. After an incident at work he wakes up to find a voice inside his head. The voice says he's Alan, he's been murdered and he wants Ruddy to find the people responsible for his death, so there can be justice. But is it real, or is it a case of the so called Repo Madness?

Set in some small
Dave
Some funny stuff, a fairly good story and a little bit silly. Bottom line: if there is something else on your shelf that you have been thinking about and you can't decide between this and that go for the other one first.

Sometimes I feel a little more ripped off with these in-betweeners because with the really bad, at least you get to rip them apart with your review and obviously the good are just good. These ones, I just wish I had spent the time reading something better. I have gained nothing
Peggy Roberson
How would you classify this book? Part mystery, part romance, part comedy, but the worst part would be if you missed out on reading it!! Mr. Cameron has taken what I feel to be a mystery, and has turned Agatha Christie on her head!! This was such a delightful, couldn't-put-down, type of read that will make you laugh, gasp, sigh, and even shed a tear or two!! Just don't be late in picking up this book!! You won't be disappointed!!
Bunny Sheperd
LOVED this book. So funny and a true page turner. The characters seemed so real, and though it made me laugh out loud, I also found it deeply touching, especially the part where the father gets to hold his daughter. I won't plot spoil and say more than that but it was just beautiful. I love this writer and I love that he's in a new genre. There's a dog, so I was happy. It's perfect! Can't wait for this to be a series! This replaces Carl Hiassen for me, whom I loved, until he kept writing the sam ...more
Jan Polep
What a treat to stumble on this funny mystery with a title that hides a book full of quirky characters, lots of action, a little romance and a DOG! Set in a small town in Northern Michigan, a down-on-his-luck Repo man wakes up with a dead guy talking to him in his head. Throw in a family bar, Repo disasters, a get-rich-quick scheme, some seat-of-the-pants detective work, side stories about whacky friends, and did I mention a DOG...you're going to love it. Sure hope the author follows through wit ...more
Rhonda
I work in a public library and books I want and hope to read someday are always coming across my desk. On a whim I took this one home and, boy oh boy, what a find. This book was great...an easy and quick read, I wasn't ready for it to end. A refreshing mystery with a little family and romance thrown in...oh and don't forget Jake the dog!
John Wood
Ruddy McCann, repo man. Misadventures, murder, mystery, mayhem... Set in the thriving metropolis of Kalkaska Michigan, follow the adventures of the repo man and bouncer at the small town family bar. Full of small-town characters and improbable sticky situations, This is a really fun read! And there is a sequel in the works!
Suzanne
While I did not find this story to be "laugh-out-loud" funny, it did have moments of light humor. It was a good mystery, wrapped around the premise of one man having another man living in his head. If this kind of bizarre story appeals to you, you should read this book.
Ruddy, after an odd night's dream, finds Alan's voice living in his head. Ruddy is a repo man, a loving older brother, a good egg, a champion of the helpless, and the bearer of a past he can never escape. And now he's a detective,
2015 Reading Chal...: The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man 1 17 Feb 03, 2015 05:45PM
  • Paw and Order (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #7)
  • A Murder of Magpies
  • Crashed (Junior Bender, #1)
  • Sometimes the Wolf
  • Dante's Wood (A Mark Angelotti Novel #1)
  • The Seance Society: A Mystery
  • Fighting Chance (Gregor Demarkian, #29)
  • The Home Place
  • Either You're in Or You're in the Way
  • Rabid
  • The New Colossus
  • The Mountaintop School for Dogs and Other Second Chances
  • Picture This
  • A Deadly Affair at Bobtail Ridge (Samuel Craddock Mystery, #4)
  • When the Thrill Is Gone (Leonid McGill, #3)
  • The Fast and the Furriest
  • Too Close for Comfort
  • Hasta la Vista, Lola!
I’ve always loved dogs, which puts me in a unique category along with what, maybe two or three billion people?

What’s not to love about an animal who will sit in your living room all day long, waiting for you to get home, and even if you need to work late and then stop for a stress-relieving beverage on your way home, when you unlock that front door, is absolutely overjoyed to see you? How could yo
More about W. Bruce Cameron...
A Dog's Purpose A Dog's Journey (A Dog's Purpose, #2) Emory's Gift The Dogs of Christmas 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter: And other tips from a beleaguered father [not that any of them work]