Start by marking “The Big Bing: Black Holes of Time Management, Gaseous Executive Bodies, Exploding Careers, and Other Theories on the Origins of the Business Universe” as Want to Read:

A corporate mole's-eye view of the society in which we all live and toil, creating one of the most entertaining, thought provoking, and just plain funny bodies of work in contemporary letters.

Stanley Bing knows whereof he speaks. He has lived the last two decades working inside a gigantic multinational corporation, kicking and screaming all the way up the ladder. He has se
Published January 3rd 2006 by HarperBusiness (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Bing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Bing

Lisa
Feb 12, 2009 Lisa rated it it was ok
I must not get this book. The copyright is 2003, but he writes about 'squawk boxes,''rolodexes,' and paper memos as if we're in the 80's. You have to get more than half way through the book to hear about a PDA...and Squawk Box now makes me think of the Financial News show, not a phone.

He rants about screaming bosses. I think it is dry, possibly self-deprecating humor about sleazy corporate bosses.

I guess I'm lucky. I have never had a screaming, jerk boss. Even in the 90's I do not remember the c
Thomas
When I picked this out, I did not realize that Stanley Bing was also the author of that airport classic, What Would Machiavelli Do? This one picks up where that one presumably left off. Part memoir, part humour, and part self-help, The Big Bing essentially recommends "strategic thinking", aka "office politics," to employees high and low. Bing supports this suggestion with many examples from his own career, some of which were funny. A lot of what he says is probably true, but the heavy dose of na ...more
John Bell
I think I like Stanley Bing in little tiny bits at a time. I suppose it didn't help that I read this right after reading Dilbert. Dilbert was much funnier. Bing doesn't seem to know whether he is trying to be funny or serious. Of course, this particular book is nearly two decades old. Also, I really think Bing should have resisted his desire to write poetry--not interesting or funny, just corny. Still, it was an okay book to read.
Stephen
Mar 16, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never before read a "Stanley Bing" book before. I thought I was getting a business book, a book with ideas that could potentially help me. Is this book the far from that. "The big bing" is... business satire. Like a "Dilbert" comic strip is. So if you want some good ideas to help you, you won't find any hear. If you want a sarcastic laugh, then read this book. I would recommend a few pages at a time.
valpal
Oct 04, 2010 valpal rated it it was ok
mildly entertaining and few nuggets of info, seems to be a collection of columns. Probably won't finish it.
Shannon Zirkle-prabhakar
Jul 10, 2014 Shannon Zirkle-prabhakar marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Evelyn
Jun 27, 2010 Evelyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Hey, another book that I was led to through a finance magazine. Bing's earlier writing isn't as funny as his later stuff. Some things are readily applicable to my life, some are not.
SC
Jan 02, 2012 SC marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Lori Grant
An optional-read book in finding humor in the workplace.
Biju Kurian
Biju Kurian rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Diane Boxley
Diane Boxley rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2014
Josh rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Brad Hayes
Sep 29, 2014 Brad Hayes rated it liked it
No one does sarcasm like Bing.
Wayne Silverman
Wayne Silverman rated it did not like it
May 14, 2014
Christopher Rubin
Christopher Rubin rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Lew
Lew rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Rozzlyn
Rozzlyn rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Daniel Poulos
Daniel Poulos rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
yu
yu rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Nikhil
Nikhil rated it it was ok
Mar 29, 2013
Michael Muss
Michael Muss rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it did not like it
Mar 16, 2013
Standards Malaysia
Standards Malaysia rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2011
Paul Fleming
Paul Fleming rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2013
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Ann Beckman
Ann Beckman rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
L C
L C rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2014
Mike Harry
Mike Harry rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015