Start by marking “The Ten Word Game” as Want to Read:
The Ten Word Game

The Ten Word Game (Lovejoy #23)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A mystery in the long-running series featuring the well-known antiques "divvy" and general bad boy, Lovejoy.

Published March 4th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published January 12th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Ten Word Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ten Word Game

Roberta
I've been reading the Lovejoy books since the first one in the series and that is probably why I'm disappointed with this one. The first ones were so great that this one doesn't compare. Also, because Lovejoy got shanghaied, Tinker wasn't in this book and I do love Tink.

As I was reading this book I kept thinking about the reviews I've seen for Lee Child's last book A Wanted Man with readers complaining that Reacher spent 3/4 of the book riding in a car. Well, that's how I felt about this book.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2043954.html[return][return]Another Lovejoy book, from the later end of the series, and operating very much to the formula of richly realised foreign setting (in this case a cruise ship going round the Baltic, with special attention to St Petersburg), with Lovejoy mixed p in a heist most of whose details are incomprehensible (and remain so) and his supernatural sense of detecting genuine antiques a key plot point. The harder edges of the character from the earlier b ...more
jcg
About five pages of plot and 315 pages of charming filler. It's one of those maddening books in which some of the charcaters know what is going on, but won't tell the main character, so the main character wanders around for 300 pages trying to figure out what everyone else already knows. By page 200 I was so bored I almost gave up, but I ploughed on to the end. I should have given up sooner, I wouldn't have missed anything.
Alisonpaddock
I just started this one - bought a bunch of older books at the library sale. It has been a while since I "visited" with old friend Lovejoy. He has always been one of my favorite rascals. Can't wait to see how he is going to pull a fast one this time!
Irene B.
Lovejoy kidnapped and sent on an antiquing cruise to Russia. This one is very entertaining. Even though I am not into antiques myself, I do enjoy how the author sprinkles interesting stories about antiques and scams throughout his novels.
Tiina
Like the other Lovejoy books that I've read, the story moves relatively slowly but with a lot of words and a lot of trivia. This was entertaining but there could have been more urgency.
Richard
Lovejoy fleeing on a cruise to Russia. Great antiques, ordinary story. The Amber Room again, only not as much fun as Twining's book.
P.d.r. Lindsay
P.d.r. Lindsay is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2014
A. Hargreaves
A. Hargreaves marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
John
John added it
Aug 23, 2014
Kathryn Vaughn
Kathryn Vaughn marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Gooman
Gooman marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
John Wall
John Wall marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Damir
Damir marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Geert
Geert marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Petrih
Petrih marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
John Grant is an English crime writer, who writes under the pen name Jonathan Gash. He is the author of the Lovejoy series of novels. He wrote the novel The Incomer under the pen name Graham Gaunt.

Grant is a doctor by training and worked as a general practitioner and pathologist. He served in the British Army and attained the rank of Major in the Royal Army Medical Corps. He was head of bacteriolo
More about Jonathan Gash...
The Judas Pair (Lovejoy, #1) Gold by Gemini (Lovejoy, #2) The Sleepers of Erin (Lovejoy, #7) The Gondola Scam (Lovejoy, #8) The Vatican Rip (Lovejoy, #5)