Start by marking “The Ten Word Game” as Want to Read:
The Ten Word Game

The Ten Word Game (Lovejoy #23)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A mystery in the long-running series featuring the well-known antiques "divvy" and general bad boy, Lovejoy.

Published March 4th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published January 12th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Ten Word Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ten Word Game

I've been reading the Lovejoy books since the first one in the series and that is probably why I'm disappointed with this one. The first ones were so great that this one doesn't compare. Also, because Lovejoy got shanghaied, Tinker wasn't in this book and I do love Tink.

As I was reading this book I kept thinking about the reviews I've seen for Lee Child's last book A Wanted Man with readers complaining that Reacher spent 3/4 of the book riding in a car. Well, that's how I felt about this book.
Nicholas Whyte[return][return]Another Lovejoy book, from the later end of the series, and operating very much to the formula of richly realised foreign setting (in this case a cruise ship going round the Baltic, with special attention to St Petersburg), with Lovejoy mixed p in a heist most of whose details are incomprehensible (and remain so) and his supernatural sense of detecting genuine antiques a key plot point. The harder edges of the character from the earlier b ...more
Jeff Stanger
My least favorite of the Lovejoy series. Still worth the read if your a fan of the series, but be prepared to use a flowchart for all the characters involved.
I loved it. Makes me want to take a cruise. The ended summed up all a little too fast though.
I just started this one - bought a bunch of older books at the library sale. It has been a while since I "visited" with old friend Lovejoy. He has always been one of my favorite rascals. Can't wait to see how he is going to pull a fast one this time!
Irene B.
Lovejoy kidnapped and sent on an antiquing cruise to Russia. This one is very entertaining. Even though I am not into antiques myself, I do enjoy how the author sprinkles interesting stories about antiques and scams throughout his novels.
Like the other Lovejoy books that I've read, the story moves relatively slowly but with a lot of words and a lot of trivia. This was entertaining but there could have been more urgency.
Lovejoy fleeing on a cruise to Russia. Great antiques, ordinary story. The Amber Room again, only not as much fun as Twining's book.
Joe Fuller
Joe Fuller marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Tom marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Pia Lehtinen
Pia Lehtinen marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Wade marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Margaret marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
KH added it
Nov 25, 2015
L. C.
L. C. marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Carmen marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Mara marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Ruth marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Grant is an English crime writer, who writes under the pen name Jonathan Gash. He is the author of the Lovejoy series of novels. He wrote the novel The Incomer under the pen name Graham Gaunt.

Grant is a doctor by training and worked as a general practitioner and pathologist. He served in the British Army and attained the rank of Major in the Royal Army Medical Corps. He was head of bacteriolo
More about Jonathan Gash...

Lovejoy (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Judas Pair (Lovejoy, #1)
  • Gold by Gemini (Lovejoy, #2)
  • The Grail Tree (Lovejoy, #3)
  • Spend Game (Lovejoy, #4)
  • The Vatican Rip (Lovejoy, #5)
  • Firefly Gadroon (Lovejoy, #6)
  • The Sleepers of Erin (Lovejoy, #7)
  • The Gondola Scam (Lovejoy, #8)
  • Pearlhanger (Lovejoy, #9)
  • The Tartan Sell (Lovejoy, #10)