Start by marking “The Jupiter Stone” as Want to Read:
The Jupiter Stone

The Jupiter Stone

This striking picturebook chronicles the journey of a small striped stone-which bears an uncanny resemblance to the planet Jupiter-from its beginning in the heavens to its landing on primordial Earth to its return to space. Award-winning author/illustrator Paul Owen Lewis has created a simple yet never-ending story which will inspire more questions than it answers. First ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Tricycle Press

To ask other readers questions about The Jupiter Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jupiter Stone

TK421
Apr 27, 2016 TK421 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-children
So my son wanted me to read him something that dealt with space the other night and I luckily picked this one up at the library that morning. It's a pretty neat story of a stone that travels through the vastness of space, endures millions of years on earth, and then is picked up by a little boy on the beach when he is walking with his mother. The boy and his mother start chatting about where this stone might have come from, which gives the boy an idea.

I won't spoil the story, but suffice it to
Whole And
Apr 21, 2013 Whole And rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I was pleasantly surprised that my 3.5 yo daughter wanted to read this several times. The illustrations are wonderful telling the story almost on their own. There are only a handful of phrases complimenting the pictures allowing for pauses to ignite imagination.

My favourite is the William Blake's quote at the very end:
"To see a world in a grain of sand
And heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour"

It really captures the intent of the author.

Patricia
Aug 07, 2013 Patricia rated it liked it
Paul Owen Lewis writes and illustrates magical books about our home here in the northwest Salish Sea area in which his paintings tell more about the story than the words do.

My children and I liked this story very much, about a stone that fell from space to Earth, where it sat undisturbed for millions of years (even though life around it changed continuously) until a child found it and managed to send it back into space where it was found by another child.
Amy Pavlov
Jun 29, 2008 Amy Pavlov rated it it was ok
The illustrations are beautiful - no doubt. The story is, to me, sweet. Somehow, though, I feel like the book misses the mark. Maybe what's wrong is that my daughter isn't old enough for it yet, but even after many readings, my daughter is still confused and she is not as enchanted as other readers seem to be. We'll keep the book and read it again, and if in the future we change our minds, I'll come back and edit this review.
Sharon
Feb 04, 2009 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful children s book. My 4 year old son, loves space and he can "read" every page. The momentum of the book is perfect for a child who can't sit longer than 15 minutes for a story.
Kristin
Oct 17, 2007 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents
This is one of the few books my son and I have checked out from the library more than once. It's very simple, with very few words, but I dare you to read it and not get at least one goosebump. =)
Vicki
Jan 25, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
A book with few words, yet lovely illustrations. The few words need to be heard by older children, in order to understand the stone's journey.
Julie Suzanne
Aug 16, 2009 Julie Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: uu, picture-books, science
A cute quick read to get children thinking about space, time, erosion (a little), and to think about big issues. Inspires wondering and inspires giving back to the world, in a subtle way.
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Gwen
Gwen rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2009
C.
C. rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2012
Dayna Green
Dayna Green rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Kiralibris
Kiralibris rated it liked it
May 08, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2012
Kim Adams
Kim Adams rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Scott Robins
Scott Robins rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Erroll Treslan
Erroll Treslan rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Angel
Angel rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2014
Brandon Ingram
Brandon Ingram rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2012
Michelle
Nov 15, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Beautiful pictures and lovable story. I'd own this one!
Kristin Becker
Kristin Becker rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2014
Carrie Gelson
Carrie Gelson rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2012
Trista
Nov 06, 2008 Trista rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations in this book are fantastic.
Tyler Lutz
Tyler Lutz rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2011
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2013
Jina
Jina rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2011
Trixie
Trixie rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Amelia Astrid
Amelia Astrid rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2009