Start by marking “The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #14)” as Want to Read:

The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,218 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Henry Allen's dog is missing - and he thinks it's been eaten by a dragon! On the night the dog disappeared, Mr. Allen swears he saw a huge dragon slither into the sea caves beneath his cliff-top house.
Could Mr. Allen really have seen a dragon? The Three Investigators doubt it, but they're determined to find the missing dog. That means exploring those dark, dangerous cave
Published August 12th 1981 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon

Quentin Wallace
This one was entertaining, but slightly more predictable than some of the others. It had some other differences as well. There was no other boys their own ages involved, and the villain wasn't quite as sinister as in previous volumes. The story seemed a little lacking though, as in there wasn't much variety as far as settings go and the characters weren't quite as interesting. That being said, this was still entertaining. This is such a great series.
C.
Once again, I have abandoned Mrs Dalloway for the simpler pleasures of a children's book, but even the relatively un-challenging prose of Virginia Woolf requires too much cognitive processing from me right now. So I turn to an old favourite.

Quite apart from the undeniable coolness of running a detective agency out of a trailer hidden in a junkyard, I always liked the Three Investigators because they seemed to be more independent, less childish and more intelligent than other child detectives. In
Sarah J. Belcher
Dec 07, 2012 Sarah J. Belcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the series.
Shelves: t3i, reviewed, 2009
I've been reading this series for over 15 years now and I've been collecting them for nearly as long. This particular one wasn't my favorite -- it has a great story and plenty of adventure, but I think I prefer the writing style of some of the other author's of the series over Nick West's. The beginning felt a little rocky and awkward, but by the middle it began to get into the rhythm of the typical T3I mystery. As always, the boys find more than they bargained for and end up putting themselves ...more
Mark
Sep 22, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
original 2009 review - The boys are hired to find a missing dog, but then discover the dogs owner has spotted a coughing dragon coming up the beach in front of his house. Investigating that, the boys discover hidden caves and a long-abandoned underground railway, before coming face to face with the dragon itself. This is preposterous but such good fun that you can forgive the plot-holes (you’d use a dragon, for that purpose?) and the humorous interplay between the boys is superb (the dialogue he ...more
Robert Stewart
Nick West penned two of the 3I books and it's a pity that they were both pretty weak. This book has a lot of slapstick banter and it turns out that "Nick West" was actually Kin Platt, who wrote among other things one of my fave TV shows Top Cat. And I can hear T.C.'s voice in this! It might as well be Chooch and Benny the Ball talking, with a little Fancy and Spook thrown in for even more laughs. But as a 3I writer, he just never got to grips with it. The story is very, very weak. The solution i ...more
Victoria Robinson
Dec 26, 2014 Victoria Robinson rated it really liked it
This was the first book in this series that we have read and we really enjoyed it. It was something a little bit different and was very entertaining even if it was a little far fetched!
Mark
Sep 04, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it
The boys are hired to find a missing dog, but then discover the dogs owner has spotted a coughing dragon coming up the beach in front of his house. Investigating that, the boys discover hidden caves and a long-abandoned underground railway, before coming face to face with the dragon itself. This is preposterous but such good fun that you can forgive the plot-holes (you’d use a dragon, for that purpose?) and the humorous interplay between the boys is superb (the dialogue here, in fact, is probabl ...more
Frederick Tan
Dec 18, 2015 Frederick Tan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.
Soňa
Mar 26, 2016 Soňa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iste, prečo by aj záhada zmiznutého psa, nemohla prerásť v napínavý príbeh troch pátračov?

Nemyslím, že som tento diel predtým čítala a preto bol príjemným prekvapením, i keď boli momenty, keď som tušila niektoré kroky skôr ako naši pátrači, výsledok bol veľmi dobrý, preto 5 hviezd.
Aurora
Oct 27, 2012 Aurora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich kannte diese Geschichte bereits als Hörspiel, aber nichtsdestotrotz hat es mir wieder viel Lesevergnügen bereitet. Stellenweise ist es mal wieder schön unheimlich. Vor allem, als die drei in das Bergwerk hinabsteigen und dort plötzlich auf besagten Drachen treffen. Einen Ausweg scheint es nicht zu geben. Was also tun? Auch die Auflösung des Ganzen finde ich sehr gut und (wenn man es noch nicht kennt, natürlich) sehr überraschend.
Pujiyanto stiffy
sebenernya 2,5/5 untuk tulisan Nick West ini.

Ga sedahsyat tulisan Robert Arthur, penulis asli serial ini, ataupun William Arden, penulis lain yang juga ikut menulis beberapa judulnya.
Kisahnya mirip Scooby Doo ini sih, dan ide dasarnya agak ngikut-ngikut salah satu kisah pendek Sherlock, dari buku The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes.
Tapi lumayan lah buat bacaan ringan.
Diane ~Firefly~
Jul 27, 2010 Diane ~Firefly~ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, ya
It's been a long time since I've read a Three Investigators book. I really enjoyed them back in elementary school. I forgot what a know-it-all Jupiter is (and he isn't even the research guy). It was an ok book, but probably better for its target age audience. More interesting than Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys and the Alfred Hitchcock tie-in adds a new level.
Trey
It was a little disconcerting that the boys kept talking about how dragons don't exist "any more," as if they went extinct instead of never existing. (view spoiler)
Ryan Mishap
Dec 24, 2008 Ryan Mishap rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: when-i-was-a-lad
If only that dragon hadn't started smoking cigarettes at such a young age, he wouldn't be dying of emphysema now, lost and alone in some old bootlegger's cave.
Serena
Apr 01, 2016 Serena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:
Siti
Oct 11, 2011 Siti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Salah satu buku kisah detektif yang saya baca di masa remaja dulu selain Hardy Boys dan Nancy drew
Ria Ali
Sep 15, 2012 Ria Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
simply thrilling!!
jupe's brain...
Lauchlin
Dec 19, 2013 Lauchlin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Dom
Dom marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Richard Veerman
Richard Veerman rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
PenNPaper52
PenNPaper52 is currently reading it
Talltree
Talltree rated it really liked it
James Fleming
James Fleming rated it really liked it
Mike
Mike added it
Trulyaragorn
Trulyaragorn rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Lucia
Lucia added it
Apr 21, 2016
Robert Johncox
Robert Johncox is currently reading it
Juraj
Juraj added it
Apr 17, 2016
  • The Secret of the Crooked Cat (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #13)
  • The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)
  • The Mystery of Monster Mountain (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #20)

Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #5)
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)