Start by marking “Journey to Civilization The Science of how we got here” as Want to Read:

Published March 1st 2013 by Collins Foundation Press

Be the first to ask a question about Journey to Civilization The Science of how we got here

Brittany
Jan 15, 2014 Brittany rated it really liked it
Journey to Civilization: The Science of How We Got Here was written by a science teacher of 30 years, Roger P. Briggs. In this book Briggs sets out to tell the story of our universe; how it was created and evolved to the world today using only scientific theories and methods.
I am unsure on where to begin with in regards to this book. This is not normally the type of book that I would choose to read, but I agreed to read it and give my honest opinion. Briggs is very enthusiastic and excited about
Monica
Jan 13, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for an honest review through Netgalley. This is a well written book with a fascinating subject. It explores the many stages of existence of humankind, and gives us a creation tale told through science and logic. In style it is very similar to the works of Jared Diamond, who is the master at taking scientific facts and explaining them in a way that the layman can comprehend. Journey to Civilization is intelligent but also an easy and engaging read. It is also very ...more
Theresa
Jan 24, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing
by Roger P Briggs
This is great time for this book to be printed... with the remake of Cosmos and the re look at historical triumphs in science, the growth of theory and practice a look at the facts and figures behind the sensation. The popularity of science on you tube, in Asap science, Vsause. or Face books I f@#$% love science show the interest of the population in science has blossomed in the need to learn more.

Looking at the first day an
Acquafortis
Aug 24, 2014 Acquafortis rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
I think the author of this book tried something very arduous and complex. He tried to narrate from the moment the Big Bang happened to when humans appeared on Earth. Now one can only fathom all the scientific study that it entails, the intelligence to comprehend it all, the bird-eye's view for synthesis and the capacity to divulge such complex matter in layman's language.
Well in my humble opinion I think he has done quite a good job about it. Mind you it is still a science book, it can become “
Clare O'Beara
Mar 18, 2014 Clare O'Beara rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, non-fiction
This well presented book brings together a picture of science from the moment that the universe began, to now. While it is necessarily a complex topic, readers may skip over terms they don't immediately understand in order to get the broad picture, and come back to them as they want to learn. Photos, diagrams and graphs in bright colours help to illustrate the copious data.

While JOURNEY TO CIVILISATION bears similarities to Dawkins' 'The Blind Watchmaker' it makes use of more modern discoveries
Kate
May 10, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
I am not a scientist and I understood this book and the concepts that are being presented. The boxes of highlights interspersed throughout the book were interesting and added to the main content. The clock analogy for explaining the passage of time really helped me to understand how the earth and people developed together.
Kim
I am not the target demographic for this book as it is a look at how the world was created through the big bang and evolution.
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2014
Raphael Imade
Raphael Imade marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Ann Helen
Ann Helen marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
James Campbell
James Campbell marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Marilyn Walker
Marilyn Walker marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Ovee Infectious
Ovee Infectious marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Ethan Jones
Ethan Jones marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Shweta
Shweta added it
May 10, 2014
Nancy
Nancy is currently reading it
Jun 07, 2014
G166188
G166188 marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
K.O.
K.O. marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Nader Nabil
Nader Nabil marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Paul Roman
Paul Roman marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Scholar
Scholar marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Aurel
Aurel added it
Feb 27, 2015
Aleksandra
Aleksandra marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Ravi Kunder
Ravi Kunder marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Lee Whiting
Lee Whiting marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Haghighat
Haghighat marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Amit
Amit marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Panagiotis
Panagiotis marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Deepakash346gmail.com
Deepakash346gmail.com marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Williams
Williams marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Ujjual
Ujjual marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
New Atlantis
New Atlantis marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Annika
Annika marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015