Start by marking “Snow Pumpkin” as Want to Read:
Snow Pumpkin

Snow Pumpkin

The author-illustrator team of the celebrated picture book The Squiggle team up again to tell of a heartwarming and surprising snowy adventure.

No school tomorrow! With a few inches on the ground, Lily is off to the park bright and early to find her friend Jesse and build the season's first snowman. But everyone's already at the park and everyone's building snowmen. Lily an
Library Binding, 40 pages
Published September 12th 2000 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Snow Pumpkin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow Pumpkin

Manybooks
Feb 21, 2016 Manybooks rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children who like books about snowmen
This is a sweet and gentle story, with an enchanting text and equally enchanting illustrations. I like the multi-racial and multi-generational feel of the story and the fact that this aspect is not made into some huge deal (just two friends who make a snow pumpkin). I cannot say that I was in any way blown away by this story, but it left my heart warm and my eyes smiling and I think that is all that matters sometimes.
Dolly
Dec 07, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining tale about an early snow storm and a snowman children made with the help of a pumpkin. I love the details in the illustrations, such as the people in the neighborhood wearing the costumes that Lily's grandmother sewed throughout the tale. And it was sweet to see all the children playing in the snow and making snowmen.

Our girls talked about how their cousins' Halloween was postponed last year because of an early snowfall (they live in Massachusetts), but it's not likely t
Jackie
When an unexpected snowstorm drops three inches of snow in October, Lily rushes to the park to build a snowman. When there is not enough snow for an entire snowman, Lily uses her wits and builds a snowman that is half snow/half pumpkin. A clever approach to combining the fall/winter seasons.

Used for "Fall for Pumpkins" Storytime-October, 2009.
Tricia
Nov 17, 2009 Tricia rated it liked it
Really enjoyed the scene that this book set for a snowy night in October combining both seasons. Children from the North may understand, having seen a very rare day when snow came early while pumpkins are still out. Captures the spirit and the fun of the children in the story well.
Kathryn
As a (non-mountains) California girl, I've never experienced a snowy Halloween but I really enjoyed reading about one in Snow Pumpkin. I appreciated the multi-ethnic cast of characters and the sense of community. T ingenuity of the children in creating their snowman when snow was dirty and scarce was wonderful! I enjoyed the illustrations and really appreciated the little details--for example, the grandmother is sewing in most of the scenes and at first, I wasn't sure what the grandmother was se ...more
Beverly
Dec 03, 2014 Beverly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
This Halloween/snowman tale was a simple story of a little girl and her friend making a snowman, and using a garden pumpkin for the head. The story featured multi-ethnic characters, and had a sense of community, with many people building snowmen in the park. The last double-page spread shows the children dressed in their Halloween costumes, ready to collect treats, and the pumpkin from the melted snowman sitting in the place of honor on the windowsill. The final end papers are decorated with ...more
Ami
Nov 13, 2011 Ami rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Artwork was kind of bleh. One of the neighbors in the story has a Korean last name, which prompted David to tell me a few interesting tidbits of Korean last names, and honestly, that was the most interesting part of the whole experience. I mean, cute enough story: early snow, snowman made with pumpkin, snowman melts. But no gorgeous illustrations or engaging and conversation-prompting storyline (in and of itself; I guess it did prompt a conversation in our house, somewhat incidentally). One and ...more
Morgan
Oct 09, 2016 Morgan added it
Shelves: picture-books
Snow Pumpkin was a very easy read. The best thing about the book is that it was very relatable, kids always get excited for snow and this was a special case that was even more exciting while reading. I would put this in my classroom for it's classic feel and story that children will love.
Tessa
Sep 06, 2016 Tessa rated it liked it
I thought this book was a cute seasonal read. There were two children who woke up to snow in October and went to build a snowman. They needed a head for their snowman and it was October so they used a pumpkin. The next day they woke up and all the snow had melted but the pumpkin was still there, and they used it for Halloween later in the week.
Russell
Dec 20, 2014 Russell rated it liked it
Touching, easily accessible story.

The real standout star is Mr. Rhee. An adult man, wandering around in the snow with his dog, telling awful jokes. Who then dresses up as Super Rhee for Halloween, with his Scottie dog done up as a sidekick. This is the kind of character that begs for a spin-off. I'd buy a deeper examination of Mr. Rhee's life in a heartbeat.
SamZ
Dec 03, 2014 SamZ rated it liked it
Shelves: winter, halloween
Cute little tale. I especially enjoyed the ingenuity of the kids when their snow became too full of dirt and grass to make a head. Also really fun for those of us who have memories of trick-or-treating in inches of snow and arguing with our moms about how the winter coat would hide our costume. :)
Shelli
Oct 25, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
This seems like such a funny read to me, having lived in sunny California my entire life, the idea of snow right before Halloween. The children in this story were excited for the first snow fall, but needed the help of an interesting pumpkin to finish the job.
David Bales
Nov 11, 2011 David Bales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
A charming book about an October snowstorm and the making of a snowman. So true for Central New Yorkers!
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2008
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Michele Reno
Michele Reno rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2008
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2013
Stacy Overby
Stacy Overby rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2016
C.M
C.M rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2010
Smith Family
Smith Family rated it it was ok
Dec 04, 2015
Ashwini Baranwal
Ashwini Baranwal rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Naariah
Naariah rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Michelle Gray
Michelle Gray rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2013
Serena
Serena rated it it was ok
Oct 08, 2015
DK Simoneau
DK Simoneau rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Lyndsay
Lyndsay rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2011
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2012
When Carole Lexa Schaefer was growing up, she wanted to be both a poet and a journalist. In an unexpected way, she feels she achieved her ambition. While studying for a master's degree in early childhood education, she once put together a picture book made of photo essays. "The lyrical, every-word-counts genre captivated the poet and journalist in me," Carole Lexa Schaefer recalls--and she's been ...more
More about Carole Lexa Schaefer...