Start by marking “One Man's Owl” as Want to Read:
One Man's Owl

One Man's Owl

This engaging chronicle of how the author and the great horned owl "Bubo" came to know one another over three summers spent in the Maine woods--and of how Bubo eventually grew into an independent hunter--is now available in an edition that has been abridged and revised so as to be more accessible to the general reader.
Paperback, Abridged, 240 pages
Published January 2nd 1994 by Princeton University Press (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about One Man's Owl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Man's Owl

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingOwl at Home by Arnold LobelAdopted by an Owl by Robbyn Smith van FrankenhuyzenOwls by Matt SewellOwl Moon by Jane Yolen
Best Books about Owls
15th out of 18 books — 4 voters
Marley and Me by John GroganDewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOogy by Larry LevinAll Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot
Animal Memoirs
107th out of 178 books — 151 voters

More lists with this book...

Petra X
This, like all Heinrich's books, is a really fantastic read. The owl, Bubo, is observed both as pet-companion and scientifically. Here he is living in a small wooden cabin in the woods with a very large, 2' tall, 4-5' wingspan crazy, possessive owl that he raised from fluffy owlet mostly on road kill. The owl is extremely possessive and does not see why Heinrich seeks other company and so is given to dive-bombing visitors to shorten their stay. Heinrich who is always thinking up new ways of test ...more
Jake
Sep 28, 2011 Jake rated it it was amazing
Bernd Heinrich is like a modern day Thoreau, with an added degree of difficulty to his endeavors. No, it's not enough for my man Bernd to disappear into the woods for months at a time. He likes to tame and study wild animals while Grizzly Adamsing it. In One Man's Owl, duh, he rescues and rehabilitates a great horned owl. But no! Living in a tiny primitive cabin with a crazy, overprotective owl isn't nearly enough for Bernd. He also raises and trains a pair of crows, just to see what would happe ...more
Monica
May 15, 2016 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Mi Búho’ es una cándida pero rigurosa y bien documentada historia personal, narrada en forma de diario con fecha y acompañada de unas preciosas ilustraciones propias, de un hombre que recoge y acoge a una cría de búho de tan sólo unas pocas semanas de una muerte segura a manos de unos graznos (enemigos mortales de esta especie de alados).
A parte de describirnos la anatomía, comportamientos y día a día con Búho, que permaneció junto a él durante nada menos que tres años, el autor, gran amante
Stephen
Jan 06, 2009 Stephen rated it it was amazing
At the time, I was helping care for a very injured great horned owl at the nature center where I now work. It was an incredibly strong bird with an intense stare and a grip like the proverbial vice. (I say this, even though I’ve never put my hand in a vice, but I have been gripped by a scared great horned owl, so my comparison is purely hypothetical.)

When I discovered Bernd Heinrich’s “One Man’s Owl,” I had to read it. The book details the author’s rescue of an orphan great horned owlet knocked
dari
Sep 01, 2016 dari rated it really liked it
Shelves: ecology
The ultimate question of this book is why would corvids mob owls instead of simply hiding or whatever takes to attract less attention to them? To test his hypotheses, he hand raises 2 crows that eventually end up interacting with the owl and reveal the answer.

The writing is, as always for Heinrich, excellent. Plenty of descriptions of isolated details of how it is to live with an owl, what kind of cuisine it prefers, what kind of nonsensical behavior it displays at times...

The book feels someho
Bonny
Jul 21, 2016 Bonny rated it really liked it
One Man's Owl is a highly readable account of the author's experiences raising a rescued great horned owl chick. The book is an excellent combination of scientific information, observations, and details along with the personal, anecdotal, and even philosophical.

There may be a slight bit of digression into wordiness, but if you ever wanted to know almost anything about owls, Heinrich has written it here.

Book Bingo 2016 - With an animal as a key character
Katharine
Jul 15, 2013 Katharine rated it it was amazing
I loved this account of Heinrich's raising of a great horned owl, Bubo, who had tumbled from his nest during a snowstorm. Heinrich is a naturalist, who truly lives by his convictions. He spends part of the year living in a small, rustic cabin, called Kerflunk, in the Maine woods. It is where he seems to feel most at home. Bubo and Heinrich establish a very close bond. So close that Bubo shortened some guests' visits, by dive-bombing them whenever they ventured outside Kerflunk. The text is accom ...more
Christopher
Sep 28, 2015 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Engaging story of the author's time with an owl he raises from a chick through three seasons. First rate science book! Satisfyingly, it is written with both the tone of an investigator and friend.
Genine Franklin-Clark
May 06, 2013 Genine Franklin-Clark rated it really liked it
I started this several days ago, neglected to put it on my currently reading list until now, when I went to list it as finished. I enjoy most books about animals and this was no exception. The great horned owl was rescued after he fell from the nest (where his siblings remained.) I didn't see him as being kept as a pet, although he was kept inside initially and slowly weaned to the outside and to hunting and living on his own.

I look forward to reading more by this author.
Corrie
Jul 25, 2008 Corrie rated it liked it
Ah books about raptors... I read this book quite quickly, but had a hard time with the pet-like nature of the owl for the author. I about died as he described another man who allows the public to touch, hug, and have pda with another owl... all in the name of education... mmmhmm. Still, if you like owls, this is worth a read.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Jan 03, 2011 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as maybe-read-sometime  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: http://stevereads.blogspot.com/2009/0... (via Richthofen, indirectly)
Shelves: science, animals
Someone linked me to a picture from this book. Then I had to find out where the picture was from initially this blog entry, but ultimately from this book. And the quoted excerpts led me to conclude this was something I needed to read. ...more
 CloudScape
Sep 06, 2016 CloudScape rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: natural-history
I thought it was a very good book with nice, descriptive details of the owls and Heinrich's past experiences. Bubo, the owl in the book is so cute! I can just picture him in my mind. There is also real lovely scientific information of the owls.
Misty
Oct 18, 2008 Misty rated it really liked it
absolutely delightful! but it's Bernd Heinrich, so what do you expect? I read the unabridged edition from 1987 (calling it "unabridged" makes me laugh because it's only 224 pages!) - if you can read the whole thing, I recommend it.
Marissa
Jun 21, 2007 Marissa rated it really liked it
A somewhat selfish memoir of a man who used science as an excuse to keep a pet great horned owl. Cute anecdotes about the owl growing up abound, but its intent as "research" is really quite pathetic.
Tina
May 18, 2008 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: birds
I love Bernd Heinrich, but most of his nature books are a bit slow going. This one, about him rearing a great horned owlet, is interesting, funny, and a great read.
Ray
May 05, 2012 Ray rated it really liked it
Quite a change of pace for me. But this book turned out to be just as emotionally gripping and exciting as any Sci Fi I have read.
Kelly Rourke
Jun 06, 2008 Kelly Rourke rated it it was ok
I was turned off by the whole premise of trying to keep a Great Horned Owl as a pet...
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 06, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
good
Mila
Mila marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Booksie
Booksie marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Michael Harnett
Michael Harnett marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Tim DiCarlo
Tim DiCarlo marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Jacob Simmering
Jacob Simmering marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Tyler McLaughlin
Tyler McLaughlin marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Emily Lund
Emily Lund marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
The Soul of Winter
The Soul of Winter marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Haaze
Haaze marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
  • The Bluebird Effect: Uncommon Bonds with Common Birds
  • Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds
  • In the Company of Crows and Ravens
  • Field Notes from a Hidden City: An Urban Nature Diary
  • The Ghost with Trembling Wings: Science, Wishful Thinking, and the Search for Lost Species
  • Oak: The Frame of Civilization
  • A Gap in Nature: Discovering the World's Extinct Animals
  • The Boilerplate Rhino: Nature in the Eye of the Beholder
  • The Birds of Pandemonium
  • What a Fish Knows: The Inner Lives of Our Underwater Cousins
  • Owl
Bernd Heinrich was born in Germany (April 19, 1940) and moved to Wilton, Maine as a child. He studied at the University of Maine and UCLA and is Professor Emeriti of Biology at the University of Vermont.

He is the author of many books including Winter World, Ravens in Winter, Mind of the Raven and Why We Run. Many of his books focus on the natural world just outside the cabin door.

Heinrich has wo
More about Bernd Heinrich...

“We are social animals. We like to feel a part of something of beauty and power that transcends our insignificance. It can be a religion, a political party, a ball club. Why not also Nature? I feel a strong identity with the world of living things. I was born into it; we all were. But we may not feel the ties unless we gain intimacy by seeing, feeling, smelling, touching and studying the natural world. Trying to live in harmony with the dictates of nature is probably as inspirational as living in harmony with the Koran or the Bible. Perhaps it is also a timely undertaking.” 6 likes