Start by marking “Puzzle Island” as Want to Read:
Puzzle Island

Puzzle Island

The reader is asked to find hidden animals in the pictures and identify a mysterious creature believed to be extinct.
Published January 1st 2001 by Child's Play International (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Puzzle Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puzzle Island

There's a Map on My Lap! by Tish RabeFollow That Map! by Scot RitchieThe Once Upon a Time Map Book by B.G. HennessyMapping Penny's World by Loreen LeedyMaps by Aleksandra Mizielinska
Picture Books About Maps
8th out of 17 books — 15 voters
The Secret by Sean KellyThe Eleventh Hour by Graeme BasePuzzle Island by Paul AdsheadMasquerade by Kit WilliamsThe Egyptian Jukebox by Nick Bantock
Picture Puzzle Books
3rd out of 5 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

knitsmith
Jan 19, 2014 knitsmith rated it really liked it
My daughter loved Graham Base's books The Eleventh Hour and Enigma, so I went looking for other similar puzzle/mystery books to do with her. This one was perfect to solve with her. She is 6 but is a strong reader and knows a good deal about animals. The puzzles are very straightforward throughout this book. The author tells the reader what she has to do, so there is no confusion or uncertainty about the task, as there often is in books by Base (like The Jewel Fish of Karnak). This made it easier ...more
Robert Beveridge
Paul S. Adshead, Puzzle Island (Discovery Toys, 1990)

I'll start off my review saying I know a little something about puzzle books, but I know nothing about the way kids respond to them. My wife and I have a Where's Waldo knockoff book we keep in the car, and my daughter gets absorbed in it every time she gets in the back seat. This has been going on for six years, and my daughter is now fourteen. So anything I say about age-appropriateness or lack of interest in repeated readings would be silly.
Maria
Jun 08, 2008 Maria rated it it was ok
I just re-read/played this book with Hunter. The puzzles (mostly word and I Spy) are clever. And surprisingly challenging (we were never able to find the starling). The writing is awful and almost never helps with finding the animals so after the first page or so, I recommend you just skip the words and look at the pictures.
Kate McDevitt
May 22, 2016 Kate McDevitt rated it it was amazing
Christin
Jun 10, 2013 Christin rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindergarten
This was a very interesting book, but the puzzles were rather difficult even for us grown-ups. It took us about a week to get through it. The puzzles, especially toward the end were over our children's heads, but I think they still enjoyed it. Very unique. It says it's recommended for 5-12, I would say 5 might be too young.
Sarah Anderson
Feb 09, 2016 Sarah Anderson rated it it was amazing
Used to read this at bedtime with my Dad when I was younger, it was my favourite. Now I get to read it all over again with my 8 year old son and he's enjoying it just as much. Great puzzles for kids to solve, and perfect for reading a page or two a night.
Casey
Fun puzzle book for older kids or younger kids! I remember having this book and loving the pictures, searching for the hidden clues and such... now it's a fun puzzle book that I can see fourth or fifth graders getting a kick out of! It would be great to have in any classroom for a fun read.
Kathryn
Jan 15, 2015 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
This puzzle book kept me entertained for hours when I was a kid, but I never actually solved the final code until recently after finding the book tucked away in an old dusty box. It only took about 25 years and a little help from 'Google' but I feel immensely proud that its finally solved
Karrie
Nov 23, 2014 Karrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-read
Bought this book for my children when they were young, and my adult daughter has revisited it to finish solving it! Very engaging and definitely a community effort to solve.
Mel
May 03, 2011 Mel rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. My daughters and I spent hours looking at the pictures and solving the puzzle. Highly recommended.
Holly Reinhard
Jul 13, 2012 Holly Reinhard rated it it was amazing
I read this book with my mom when I was a kid. I absolutely LOVED it. Beautiful pictures, great intriguing story....:)
Andrea
Dec 23, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a kid. I think I got it when I was in upper elementary based on my handwriting in the cover and the fact that it came out in 1990. It was fun but hard.
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Rachael
Rachael rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2015
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2013
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2011
Andréa
Andréa rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2012
Matthew Ledrew
Matthew Ledrew rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
Hayley
Hayley rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2009
Ngaire
Ngaire rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
TableCJ
TableCJ rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Mari
Mari rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2011
Natz Penny
Natz Penny rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2014
Miriam
Miriam rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2013
Grace
Grace rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2009
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2015
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2015