Start by marking “The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)

The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew #4)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,463 Ratings  ·  420 Reviews
Read by Laura Linney
approx. 3 hours
2 cassettes
Nancy finds herself in danger when she tries to solve the mystery of the old inn, believed to be jinxed.

About the Author: Carolyn Keene is the pen name for Edward L. Stratemeyer who originally began the series. It is not proven, but said, that his daughters updated and continued the series after their father's death in 1930.
Lau

Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published September 24th 2002 by Imagination Studio (first published 1930)

Mostephl
Dec 14, 2008 Mostephl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i don't know what it is, but these are like candy. they crack me up (so quaint and implausible!), but i keep on reading and as soon as one is over, i pick up the next!
Brittany
Jan 27, 2013 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm just saying, if I were Carson Drew, Nancy would never leave her room. She'd be locked in there for life.
Jaksen
Nov 14, 2015 Jaksen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another so-so in a series I loved as a girl ...

There is just too much going on here. I needed a stack of cue cards with character names, what they did, how old they are, what color hair they have, all the important stuff.

Here's the problem. TOO MUCH is happening ALL AT ONCE! (I hate using caps, btw.) This is a breathless read for sure. Nancy has to deal with - almost being run off the road, having a bomb go off in a cabin she's staying in, being shot at by a spear-gun while skin-diving, having a
Raja99
Dec 17, 2009 Raja99 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mcpl
This is the fourth in the series of original (1930) Nancy Drew books. This book includes four nicely-scanned full-page grayscale images and "The Nancy I Knew", an introduction by Mildred Wirt Benson, who wrote this book (to an outline provided by the publisher) under the Carolyn Keene pseudonym.

The introduction is in some ways the best part of this book; Benson notes that the first three books sold well, but when original publisher Edward Stratemeyer died, his inexperienced daughters took over:
Christopher Hicks
As a child I read tons of Nancy Drew, recently I found out that in the 1950's and 60's the earlier books had all been rewritten. This book is the actual 1930 edition. I must say I didn't like this Nancy Drew very much, she was spoiled, elitist and racist. If I had read an earlier copy as a child i'm afraid I would have stopped at that one. The Mystery of Lilac Inn 1961 edition. this is the Nancy Drew that I know and love. It's the same characters but an entirely different storyline. This is the ...more
Skye
Feb 04, 2016 Skye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Nancy Drew mysteries, the style and time they were written in intrigues me. The mysteries are quite good too, meaning I wasn't able to solve this one. I was fooled by a red herring. The food descriptions are especially mouthwatering. A nice afternoon read.
When I was in 4th grade, the table I sat at in the school library was adjacent to the shelf where I could eye those inviting spines labeled: Carolyn Keene. I read at least one a month that year.

Returning to her as an adult, I'm delighted to find Nancy Drew as awesome as I remember her. The writing is quaint, but strong enough to stand the test of time. This particular volume was chock-full of Nancy-in-peril scenes, but also pretty convoluted in the plot department and some bits of the conclusion
Diana
Mar 13, 2009 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the Nancy Drew book that got me hooked on the series when I was 10. I remember being sick with the flu and home from school. My mom brought home several of the Nancy Drew books that a friend had given her for me that her daughter had outgrown. This was the first one I read. I so LOVED Nancy that it inspired me to write my first real story - a mystery modeled on the Nancy Drew concept. My mom and I added to my collection over the years, and I still have them all - about 25 of them - I'm ...more
Kate ★
Mar 05, 2015 Kate ★ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beat-the-heat
I love reading this series when I was younger. However, this story seemed absurd just because Nancy Drew was just lucky to stay away from being badly hurt! The mystery part was well thought of, though it did sound a bit ridiculous when things were finally revealed.
Lisa
Feb 17, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: engl-420
I have always been a fan of Nancy Drew novels and so it was a delight to be able to return to these stories and engage once more with Nancy. I read these as a child and I was surprised this time around to see how... simplistic these novels are. As a kid I was totally blown away by her deductive skills and how she could make connections other characters missed. I was inspired by her courage and intelligence. I still find her all of these things, but reading now I find that the stories are a lot m ...more
John Yelverton
Sep 18, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Drew returns in another thrilling mystery that just keeps making this series better and better.
Elle Smith
May 10, 2010 Elle Smith added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Elle by: memory
The Nancy Drew original Mystery Stories began in the 1930s, as a reluctant fair move by the publisher of a boys adventure story series, and the rest is happy history!

I "read every single one" as a girl, many years ago and am enjoying a wonderful time with them again.

Put "Nancy Drew" in Wikipedia and see for yourself -

-the section of her bio "character" says it all - she is a supergirl, master of a dizzying list of skills and talents and never seems to nee
Christina
Nancy and Helen Corning are stay at historic Lilac Inn, which are owned by their mutual friend, Emily Crandall, in preparation of Emily’s wedding. But strange happenings and hauntings occur, which threaten to spoil the wedding, not to mention the lives of Emily and her fiance, Dick. In addition, Nancy discovers she has a wicked double, who is stealing items at River Heights stores by using Nancy’s charge cards. Emily’s diamonds are stolen and replaced with fakes during a dramatic evening dinner ...more
Tadashi Hamada
Ooh! This is one of the more interesting and more complex mysteries out of the original 1930's Nancy Drew books. In this, someone is impersonating Nancy. Good clean fun.
Cindy
May 13, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A trip down memory lane! This book should have been called The Mysteries at Lilac Inn as the stolen diamonds was just one of the many perplexing things going on in and around Lilac Inn. Who is impersonating Nancy? Who stole the lilac bush? Who or what almost capsized Nancy and Helen's canoe? What's not to love about a Nancy Drew mystery? Great characters, action on every page, and the best titian blond sleuth ever! Writers of adult novels should take a page from Carolyn Keene's book and fill the ...more
Tarissa
Sep 02, 2013 Tarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do believe this is one of my more favorite Nancy Drew mysteries. The story truly had me baffled until the final strings were pulled. After Nancy's friend, Emily Willoughby, has revealed that odd events have been taking place around the inn, Nancy Drew is on the job. But that is not her only problem, because someone in River Heights is actually impersonating Nancy... and getting away with it! How will Nancy cope with all the mysterious occurrences? Better yet, how can she capture her own double ...more
Vishakha Motwani
Feb 17, 2016 Vishakha Motwani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Really good but just not convinced with the impostor theory. Nevertheless, it was a good mystery!
Sheila
Another typical Nancy Drew story, where Nancy is smart, independent, and a mystery solving sleuth, though she needs to be a little more careful as she did have to be rescued off of a burning, sinking boat in this one! My daughter loves these stories though, so what can I say, I'm sure we will read more of Nancy's adventures.
Claire Smileyface
My mom and I read this book when I was 7. This is the book that made me start liking Nancy Drew. This book was full of suspense and suprise. I like mysteries because you can solve the story while you're reading it. Anyways, I would recommend this book to any grade from 3-8. I think anyone can enjoy it!!!
Linda Rawlins
A small trip to the past! This book originally published in 1930. Terms like blue pipes, skin diving and charge plates in leather cases are charming. Yet, the Nancy Drew Series as well as the Hardy Boys has always been a fun place to start with mysteries! Young kids may like the current series better!
Anne
I swear this just reeks of absurdity but it's so sugary. I can't believe how impossibly silly the scenes and actions are! And yet, I read on because I'll always love a good Scooby doo hunt.

On to the next!
Barbara Huskey
Jan 19, 2015 Barbara Huskey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still enjoying these mysteries even as an adult. Glad i discovered the ebooks available from the library. Make for nice, quick reads.
Madyson
Feb 05, 2014 Madyson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was amazing! Carolyn Keene is a gr8 author who really catches and holds my attention! I love reading her books!
Sydney
Jan 24, 2015 Sydney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is my favorite so far. I haven't read much so far. This one was definetly my favorite
Jackie B. Forman
I enjoyed this mystery just as much as the first. I look forward to reading even more!
Lydia Dyslin
So this was my next read for The Nancy Drew Project. I'm probably going to read quite a few of these in a row as I have not continued reading any of these books after The Bungalow Mystery for awhile.

Anyway...YIKES. WHAT EVEN. This book is so bizarre. I actually remembered this book because I re-read it about a year ago, so I knew the plot and everything better then the other books I have re-read from this series. I still forgot quite a bit of it, however, so I still didn't know what was going t
Donna
Dec 08, 2015 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Nancy Drew was my gateway drug to the wonderful world of mysteries. While other girls were saving money to buy Barbie doll clothes, I saved for those yellow-spined masterpieces. This book is a 1961 edition. It appears there was an original edition, the later, updated edition, and now all the graphic and other versions of Nancy.

There were some specific things I noticed about this book. The language is full and complex -- Nancy looks at the "luminous" dial of her watch. The crimes were serious --
Will Redd
Nov 30, 2015 Will Redd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On the same day I finish NaNoWriMo, I finish The Mystery at Lilac Inn. It's a sign... okay, it's probably not, but it's a nifty coincidence.

Anyway, this is the last of my mother's old Nancy Drew books that we found wasting away in one of my parents' storage buildings some years ago and Mom said I could keep. Actually, this is the second time I've read this one, but since I've been reading all the others lately, thought it would be a nice revisit.

And it was! What I love about Nancy Drew is that i
Nicole P
Nov 28, 2015 Nicole P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a majority of the Nancy Drew series throughout my childhood and I loved them! I decided to read one again and see if they are as wonderful as I remember. In The Mystery at Lilac Inn, Nancy Drew and her friend Helen Corning stay at the historic Lilac Inn, recently purchased by their friend Emily Willoughby and her fiance. The purpose of their visit is to discuss wedding plans as both Nancy and Helen are bridesmaids for Emily and Dickʼs wedding. During their stay, many peculiar things happe ...more
Katrina
Unfortunately, the quality dipped again after that hopeful progress in the previous book. While Nancy is still a strong, interesting character, this mystery is just plain messy. Pretty much none of it makes sense, nor is it structured in a pleasing whodunit format. The appeal of a mystery is two-fold: it should set up clues that allow the reader to intelligently participate in the story, as a co-detective of sorts; and it should include enough clever twists and reveals to keep readers on their t ...more
lilac inn ( nancy drew ) 11 53 Apr 06, 2013 05:03AM
hairspray the movie 3 19 Mar 28, 2012 06:17AM
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Midnight Marauder (Trixie Belden #30)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Adventure in the Country (Bobbsey Twins, #2)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)
  • The Clue of the Broken Locket (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #11)

“Nancy, an attractive titian blond, grinned up at her friend.” 11 likes