Start by marking “A Piece of Chalk” as Want to Read:
A Piece of Chalk

A Piece of Chalk

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A WORLD OF POSSIBILITIES in an ordinary box of chalk...What would you do with a brand new box of chalk, and a whole driveway as your chalkboard? What would you draw? This little girl draws a red brick wall for starters, then a yellow sun, a brown bird and more. Watch her create a magical picture, as she adds details with each turn of the page. But what happens when a gray ...more
Published September 4th 2007 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about A Piece of Chalk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Piece of Chalk

Linda
This book was found by my picture book buddy, who loaned it to me because she knows I participate in the Chalk-a-bration at the end of every month, hosted by Betsy Hubbard at her Teaching Young Writers blog. A little girl works hard to draw a beautiful picture on her sidewalk, and even in the rain, everything turns out beautifully. The illustrations are sweet, including pets, green grass and blue sky, a perfect day for chalking.
Lindsay
Call me nit-picky but I probably wouldn't share this book with kids because 1) I would worry they'd try to mimic the little girl's style f drawing and 2) Rain on sidewalk chalk would lighten it or wash it away, not make a rainbow.
Kelly
Sweet, but nothing special. The illustrations are cute and the text isn't too long--but it just didn't connect with me. Maybe if the problem/conflict had been introduced earlier in the story, it would have been more interesting.
The Library Lady
This echoes Don Freeman's The Chalkbox Story, except here it is a little girl with the chalks, rather than the chalks itself. Nice little story that may inspire kids to go outside and draw with chalks of their own.
narajaponesa
A nice storytime book. You can get the children to predict what will be drawn in chalk next, and you can ask them to identify the color of the chalk the girl is holding. It works for me.
Prplpckl
A creative story with fun color descriptions that explores the possibilities of one's imagination.
Edna
A young girl uses her driveway as a chalk board to draw and point out different colors.
Christine Turner
A little girl creates a colored chalk drawing on her driveway. www.hcpl.net
Bisma Kureshy
PB-44
Not a fun read. The character was kind of boring and so was the story.
Lindsey
A cute book.
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Meryki
Meryki added it
Jun 09, 2014
Marie
Marie added it
Mar 29, 2014
Nicole Vanhorn
Nicole Vanhorn marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
BeccaB
BeccaB added it
Mar 15, 2013
Vivian Smith
Vivian Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Jennifer A. Ericsson is a children's librarian, the author of a number of picture books, and the co-author of the popular The Everything Kids' Puzzle Book series. She lives in Concord, New Hampshire.
More about Jennifer A. Ericsson...
Whoo Goes There? She Did It! The Everything Kids' Puzzle Book: Mazes, Word Games, Puzzles & More! Hours of Fun! No Milk! The Most Beautiful Kid in the World