Start by marking “Hundreds of Years to Reform a Rake” as Want to Read:
Hundreds of Years to Reform a Rake

Hundreds of Years to Reform a Rake

A modern career woman thrust back in time into the glittering Regency period and the arms of an unscrupulous rake...

Josephine Drummond is a professional paranormal researcher (aka, a ghostbuster) hired to prove that the ghost of Lord Deverell Thornton, the very handsome Earl and a notorious rake in his time, haunts the crumbling Waite Castle. But the ghost drags Josephine
Published September 1st 2007 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about Hundreds of Years to Reform a Rake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hundreds of Years to Reform a Rake

Julie (jjmachshev)
May 13, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
Josie is a ghostbuster, er...paranormal investigator. She's wrapping up her latest investigation and must now, sadly, tell this nice little old lady that she doesn't have a ghost and therefore won't be able to save her country estate by opening her bed and breakfast with a 'ghost' drawing card. As if that's not bad enough, when she arrives for tea with the nice old lady, they have an unexpected guest...the ghost of Deverell Thornton, 9th Earl of Waite...and oh boy, is he a hunk!!

Dev didn't parti
Nisha
Feb 13, 2010 Nisha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who always wanted to be in a regency romance
I am not a fan of time-travel romances. In fact, I have avoided them because I am never satisfied with how the H/H end up together. Yet, after realizing that this was about a modern woman transported by a ghost into the Regency, I felt that it could hold some promise.

The heroine, Josie, is a ghostbuster who happens to meet Deverell Thornton, the ghost of the 9th Earl of Waite, during a job. She agrees to be transported to his lifetime to uncover a charlaton who supposedly robs his family of the
Lidiane Gomes
Jun 09, 2016 Lidiane Gomes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una historia con una prota femenina de lo más divertida y un final sorprendente. Me ha encantado.
sakura_txell
Nov 20, 2014 sakura_txell rated it it was amazing
Kerri
Nov 17, 2010 Kerri rated it liked it
Virginia Campbell
Sep 27, 2009 Virginia Campbell rated it it was amazing

One of my favorite ghosts is "Dev" from a paranormal romance with an unusual twist: "Hundreds of Years to Reform a Rake" by Laurie Brown. A modern career woman is thrust back in time into the glittering Regency period and the arms of an unscrupulous rake. Josephine Drummond is a professional paranormal researcher (aka, a ghostbuster) hired to prove that the ghost of Lord Deverell Thornton, the very handsome Earl and a notorious rake in his time, haunts the crumbling Waite Castle. But the ghost
Bronwyn Rykiert
This was a ghost story with a slight difference to earlier stories I have read that are similar ie: Ghost stuck in their ancestral home for centuries when a woman turns up who could change their lives.

Deverell Thornton, the ninth Earl of Waite has been the Guardian of his ancestral home for centuries. Now it needs extensive repairs but there is no money, so he concocts an idea to hire Josie Drummond, an American expert on ghosts, to help him. He brings her there through the current owner of the
Micki
Jun 23, 2012 Micki rated it liked it
Entertaining summer read! I had just finished "What Would Jane Austen Do?" and I'm pretty sure the authors used some of the same source materials (-:. But, the story tootles along quite merrily with just a few clunks and hitches (sometimes the infodumps -- and I mean that in a good sense -- are a fascinating insight into the Regency culture, and sometimes they are just dumps. Which is not entirely the author's fault -- she can't know which readers have some Regency background and which don't. We ...more
Lisa P
Jul 14, 2012 Lisa P rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute, quick summer read...nothing deep and awe-inspiring, but fun nonetheless. Ghost hunter Josie goes back in time to debunk the charlatan who has been stealing money from Lord Deverell's family estate. Josie first meets Deverell as a ghost in modern times while working a job. He hires her to go back in time to help save his family fortune. Of course adventure and romance ensue. Deverell the ghost and Deverell in the flesh are both present in the past, which makes for a confusing tim ...more
Naomi Stephens
Apr 26, 2011 Naomi Stephens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this but it was so similar to What Would Jane Austen Do that sometimes I was a bit upset as it felt like the author cheated. Obviously this whole going back in time to the regency period and falling in love with someone who is Darcy-esque is a great plot, it was just that some of the wording seemed to lifted almost word for word in the explanations of regency period customs. Perhaps that is just because I read it the day after I read What Would Jane Austen Do, but still it bothe ...more
Bitten_by_Books
Oct 01, 2008 Bitten_by_Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: virginia
Josie Drummond is a paranormal investigator who by request of Amelia Thorton was trying to certify whether or not a ghost was in residence at her castle. Just when she was ready to give up, Deverell Thorton makes an appearance...

For the entire review please go to the Best Paranormal & Urban Fantasy Review site on the web, Bitten By Books for the review of Hundreds of Years to Reform a Rake in it's entirety. You won't be sorry.
Belqees
Apr 24, 2014 Belqees rated it it was amazing
This book introduced me to fan language, and at the same time, historical romances. I have always been fascinated about mystery/paranormal and romance novels and this book is an all-in-one. It has a good story built up although I have figured out who was the villain earlier, but I guess it’s just my detective instincts that kicked in. I loved the conclusion at the ending and enjoyed the whole experience very much.
Chelsea
Aug 14, 2011 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun book in which a modern woman is brought back in time by a ghost to help his family and while she is in the past she meets the live him. This book is full of interesting characters and a well written plot that is full of surprises and will keep you captivated until the very end.
Nicole
Sep 11, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Good story line with romance, time travel and a little bit of mystery. I got a bit confused on the ending, even though it was a happy one at that. This book is going to be book I still think over because I feel no satisfaction at the conclusion. No answers to my many questions. Quite bummed overall.
Shevvy
Dec 18, 2012 Shevvy rated it it was ok
DNF. The idea was really good, help a ghost, travel back in time after learning how to live in the regency period. I really wanted to enjoy this book but for some reason i just couldn't get into the story. not sure why but really dissapointed. recommended for those who love regency romance novels mixed with the paranormal and some mystery.
1 1/2 stars
Cynthia
Jun 16, 2010 Cynthia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Romance, regency, time-travel readers
A light, joyful read. I'm not much of a fan of time-travel, but Josie's character was fun. You just knew her faux pas during the Regency period were going to cause a problem. The rattlings of her chaperone, Mrs. Binns, were priceless. All in all, Deverell, the real one and the ghost, kinda boring. The title is misleading.
Sanalith
Mar 14, 2013 Sanalith rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, time-travel
ahahahahahaha No. I read this because Jen knows how much I adore cheesy time-travel romance novels, but this was just beyond bad. I feel really horrible giving one-star reviews, because I know how hard it is to write and get your thoughts onto paper, but...No. Between the practically non-existent plot and the poor characterization, I just can't rate this any higher.
Andrea Moreno
Oct 24, 2013 Andrea Moreno rated it really liked it
Una historia de regencia contada de una manera divertida y diferente ... la rivalidad y los celos entre Dev y Deverell por la atención y afecto de Joy así como los dialogos directos entre los personajes con puyas y bromas hicieron d esta una historia entretenida y facil de leer... Buena lectura para un día relajado.. :P
Nancy A.
Jan 15, 2013 Nancy A. rated it it was amazing
Awesome book...I love reading Regency
novels and though this does incorporate
time travel, it works...Josie attempts to
go back in time w/Lord Waite to amend
circumstances affecting the present. I
was fascinated to learn much more about
the social scene of the time and amazed
to find out a formal dinner lasted for hours! In my opinion a must read!
Dancechica
Dec 06, 2008 Dancechica rated it liked it
A cute, lighthearted story—enjoyable, but pretty forgettable. I couldn't help feeling like Josie's investigations of the charlatan were dragged out since she really didn't do much to solve the mystery, and when she did, the whole scene gave me Scooby Doo flashbacks. Still, this was a quick, pleasant read.
Bobbi
Aug 05, 2012 Bobbi rated it really liked it
Hmmm...not your typical historical romance. I actually found this under the paranormal section in the used book store. It was very different but very good. Although I kinda wished it had ended a little differently but overall I would recommend it.
Amber Gray
Apr 08, 2008 Amber Gray rated it liked it
Sara
Nov 16, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Romantic comedy. A twenty-first century lady "ghostbuster" meets a ghost trying to help his descendant. She travels back in time to meet him when he was alive and falls head over heels. Delightful! Engaging! You can't put it down until the end!
penelopewanders
Sep 28, 2010 penelopewanders rated it really liked it
First book I've read by this author and it was fun. The end was a wee bit confusing perhaps, but with the main character split in two - Dev as the ghost and Dev as the man, I suppose it was inevitable.
Sandy
Jun 26, 2009 Sandy rated it it was ok
Reminds me of the Highlander series by Karen Marie Moning, so check her out!
This book wasn't all that bad. But it wasn't great or memorable. It failed to make an impression and it screams "meh". 2/5 stars.
Jody
Jul 13, 2011 Jody rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I usually do not like it when the characters travel back in time and mess with events, but this book was done really well. The last chapter kinda threw me for a minute because I was not expecting it to jump like it did but otherwise a good read.
Leah
Jun 29, 2012 Leah rated it liked it
This was a brain candy book. It was a quick read, but was nothing special. Good for travel reading (I read it on the train), or when you just need something that doesn't require a lot of brain energy.
May 13, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is worth reading.
Natalie W
May 24, 2014 Natalie W rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story but wish the ending was longer.
Virginia
Jul 24, 2008 Virginia rated it really liked it
Please check out my review of this book at bittenbybooks.com
  • Spirited Away
  • Flirting with Forever
  • A Highlander for Christmas
  • Night Visitor
  • When There is Hope
  • Daring Time
  • The Pleasure Master
  • Shadow Crossing (Shielder #4)
  • A Love Through Time (MacKendimen, #1)
  • After The Storm
  • Circles in Time
  • Parallel Desire (Midnight Warriors, #4)
  • Warrior of the Highlands (Highlands, #3)
  • Some Like it Kilted (Highlander #4)
  • Temptation of the Warrior
  • The Changeling Bride (Timeswept) (Heartspell)
  • Knight Errant (Knight Errant #1)
  • A Love Beyond Time