Princess Grace

Princess Grace

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Grace has the chance to be a princess in the school parade. But what does a princess do, apart from wearing beautiful clothes and looking pretty? Does she have to be pink and floaty, with a crown? Grace and her friends start finding out about princesses in China, Egypt, the Philippines and Zimbabwe.
Published December 1st 2008 by Frances Lincoln Ltd (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Princess Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess Grace

Henry's Freedom Box by Ellen LevineA Day with No Crayons by Elizabeth RuschPrincess Grace by Mary HoffmanFancy Nancy by Jane O'ConnorThe Little Matador by Julian Hector
Best Picture Books of 2008
2nd out of 27 books — 5 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsPlease, Baby, Please by Spike LeeI Like Myself! by Karen BeaumontHenry's Freedom Box by Ellen LevineWhistle for Willie by Ezra Jack Keats
African American Picture Books
36th out of 141 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne
Aug 08, 2008 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children 3-10
Shelves: children
My 3-year old is obsessed with princesses, so on a recent trip to the library when she got her very own library card and saw this book on the shelf, she knew she had to check this book out first.

I'm getting a little wary of the whole princess thing and have been trying to direct her to some additional interests and role models. I'm not ANTI princess, mind you. I just want her to branch out a little, teeny, itsy-bitsy bit.

We got home and opened this book, and I couldn't love it more if I tried. G...more
Brigid
Babette Reeves
From the same author who wrote Amazing Grace ten years ago (can a black girl be Peter Pan in the school play?), a great take on the whole Disney etc. princess craze. Looks at the question, "What does it really mean?" in ways that takes the children involved (including some boys)seriously, doesn't lecture or preach, and opens up options.

Recommended ages: for all those "into" princesses
Roy
As the father of a princess obsessed little girl who has learned via parenting that obsessions and insecurities about appearance starts amazingly early with girls, I greatly appreciate a book such as this one which shows that there's much more to being a princess (what do they do beside look pretty is the question that sets this story rolling) than the Disney variety.
Gina
This narrative tells about the royal community from the perspective of a school teacher. Grace, the main character is selected to be a princess in the town parade and wants the perfect princess costume to look like a princess. Grace teacher explains to her that princesses are more than a pretty dress. The narrator focuses on countries from Kenya to China. As a future educator I will use this text to teach about what students may play as dress up other countries express who they are by the clothe...more
Roshunda Harris
Mary Hoffman did an excellent job with this book. The main character, Grace starts off the story wanting to be a princess in the school's parade. In her mind her princess dress had to be pink and floaty. With coaching from her Nana, mother, and teacher Graces learns that princesses come from many diverse cultures and not all princesses are the same. In her final decision on what type of princess she wanted to be, Grace chose to be an African Princess with Kente attire. Grace learned that there i...more
Sae Heo
Children can learn many things from this book "Princess Grace". This book shows that people are unique and different in their lives. Grace's school had an annal community festival that girls got to be queens in the parade. This book shows that princess's custom is like a christmas tree fairy in a pink and flaty dress not at all. Grace was enjoying her West African Kente robes in parade. Other friends wear their countries' pincess coustom in parade. They were very proud of their culture through t...more
J-Lynn
A new book in the Amazing Grace series, this book follows Grace as she learns about princesses. Grace wants to be a princess in the school parade and asks her mom and grandmother to make her a princess costume. When they ask Grace what a princess looks like, Grace tries to define what it means to be a princess. She quickly learns that princesses are much more than frilly pink dresses. She learns about African and Chinese princesses who fought for their people and about a modern princess who was...more
Shannon
This book makes no mention of any West African countries specifically, but Moira loves princesses, and I love princess books that have diverse princesses. Grace's class has a chance to ride on a float as a princess, and so they all spend some time learning about different princesses and princes from different countries.
(NS) Mary
From Booklist
After several chapter books, Hoffman returns to the original picture-book format for the series that started with Amazing Grace (1991). Grace’s teacher announces that two girls will ride on the school’s float as princesses. Initially excited about wearing a fairy-tale costume, Grace realizes that world folklore and history offer more varied and dynamic interpretations of the princess theme. On parade day, Grace and her classmates dress as royalty from different cultures; Grace wears...more
Kelly
I love the message of this picture book--that not all princesses wear poofy dresses and sit around looking pretty all day. But unfortunately, I don't think it was executed as well as it could have been.[return][return]Mainly, the text is too long--I think a lot could have been cut out to distill the story down to the essentials. I like the information about other cultures that's included without hitting you over the head with it.[return][return]But I wish Grace had played a larger role in discov...more
Courtney
On the cover of this book is a picture of a smiling girl dressed in a pink princess costume, topped with a tiara.

This did not seem appealing.

I generally try to avoid books that depict girls in stereotypical roles. The picture on the cover did not bode well, but from the other book I had read by Mary Hoffman, I expected the book to be more substantial, and carry an empowering message.

It is, and it does. The book starts out with Grace wanting to be a pretty, pretty princess in a fluffy pink dress....more
Tamara
This is a great book. I like that the author Hoffman, uses the same character Grace in her books. This is the third 'Grace' story I read, so I really feel a connection with the main character already. In this story Grace wants to be selected as a princess for the school parade. she soon realizes and thinks about what kind of princess she wants to be. She ends up dressing in her African clothing with fabric from her grandmother. Throughout the book, Grace and the audience, learn about other princ...more
Phannie
This book is a good introduction to the different kinds of princesses in our world. They do not dress or act like each other. They are individuals that make a difference.
Shira
If you have read Amazing Grace and loved it, you will also love Princess Grace. In this text Grace’s teacher announces two girls will be chosen to be princesses in the school parade. At first, Grace is excited about possibly being chosen to be a fairy tale stereotypical princess. Grace then learns that real princesses did not really live those fairy tale lives, instead they were warriors, business women, and scientist. Which type of princess do you think Grace wants to portray in the school para...more
I like it; kids I read it to didnt seem to as much... But I might have aimed it at too low a level (k)
Marya
What a great, feminist, empowering book. The main character realizes that the pink fluffy fairytale princess is not the only princess model out there. Once all the children question this stereotype, it's not long before the entire class joins the parade as princesses and princes of all different traditions. And these princesses can DO things besides look pretty!

It's a great sentiment, and maybe we'll eventually get there, but for now, my little one sees absolutely no contradiction between traips...more
Winnie Kuster
Grace proved that you can be anything you want and that families are what you make them, now discovers that there's more than one way to be a princess. Grace has the chance to be a princess in a school parade. But what does a princess do, apart from wearing beautiful clothes and looking pretty? Does she have to be pink and floaty, with a crown? Grace and her friends start finding out about princesses in China, Egypt, the Philippines and Zimbabwe - and on the day of the parade, helped by Ma and N...more
Gabrielle Blockton
Great book to use to introduce and teach social justice. A must read!!
Lisa Swope
Princesses come in all styles.
Anika
Mar 10, 2010 Anika rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of little girls
Kim
I was a little worried about this book at first because I thought it might be preachy, and it was a little, but Princess stereotypes are such a big issue, one wonders if a book can be too heavy handed about it. One thing is I find myself feeling for the boys in this story more than the girls, they're being really excluded until the very end. I like that the picture actually shows more powerful versions of princesses so that they can have another image to aspire too.
SueAnn Eason
This book is fantastic to read to any princess loving girl - no wait to any child - boy or girl. Grace is a princess loving little girl and in the story she is challenged to discover that there are many different types of princesses - not just the pink fluffy ones. In a world where Disney is defining beauty for our preschoolers - Princess Grace shows kids that beauty can come in many fashions and princesses don't have to be weak girls in fluffy dresses waiting to be saved.
Autumn Bumgarner
Final Project: Great book for little girls to read! Its showing them that the princesses they see in movies are fairy tails and not real but if you looking history princesses come in all shapes and sizes and with different stories on why they are are princess. This book shows little girls that being a different kind of princess is ok and everyone should have a chance to be a prince or princess of something in their life.
Tara
"There's more than one way to be pretty" Nana says.

What an excellent princess book! Grace wants to be chosen to be the princess in the school parade. But she learns that there is more to being a princess than being "pink and floaty." She learns that there are more kinds of princesses that just the fairytale kinds! She decides to be the kind that has adventures and dresses in West African Kente robes!

April
I am loving this book lately. We have oodles of little girls that love princess books and they have moms that don't love pink wearing, girly, can't do anything on their own except get rescued by a man princesses. This book shows that there are lots of types of princesses who did great things besides get rescued by a man. Princesses come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.
Kirei
Sep 28, 2008 Kirei rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kindergarteners and up
Shelves: younger-kids
This is a must-read for every child!

Grace has to be a princess and she can't think of what princesses do exactly. Her Nana explains about some warrior princesses in history, and other things that princesses have done. Grace then decides she wants to be an African princess, so they get Kente cloth and make her a dress. It also notes that boys can be princes.
J. Else
What an excellent princess story. Its about a girl who wants to dress like a princess and who investigates real princesses and their strong role in their countries. One created a girl army, another was a spy, etc. It teaches young girls that looking pretty is not the only aspect about being a princess. Very impressive picture book! Loved reading this to my girl!
Patricia Doiron
A princess is not just a pretty girl that wears a puffy, pink dress and has a crown as Grace learns after trying to decide what kind of princess dress she wants to wear for the parade. This book teaches children in a great way that princesses are more than just the type found in fairy tales.
The Library Lady
The "Grace" books have all been pretty message laden, but they still manage to have nice story lines and be believable. Here Grace and her classmates learn that there are far more princesses out there than those in the Disney pantheon. And that's a message that needs to get out there!
  • White Socks Only
  • What Can You Do with a Paleta?
  • Just the Two of Us
  • Mrs. Katz and Tush
  • Princess Super Kitty
  • Dancing in the Wings
  • The Apple-Pip Princess
  • The Magic School Bus Inside a Beehive (The Magic School Bus, #8)
  • Bee-bim Bop!
  • I Like Myself!
  • A Remainder of One
  • The Faithful Friend
  • Hip Hop Speaks to Children: A Celebration of Poetry with a Beat
Mary Hoffman is a bestselling British author and reviewer, born in 1945. She is a true enthusiast of Italy and spends a lot of her time there, which shows in her Stravaganza novels: a series currently in publication. In total, she has written over 80 books, including the aforementioned Stravaganza series and the bestselling picture book, Amazing Grace. Mary is also the editor of a review magazine...more
More about Mary Hoffman...
City of Masks (Stravaganza, #1) Amazing Grace City of Stars (Stravaganza, #2) City of Flowers (Stravaganza, #3) City of Secrets (Stravaganza, #4)