Start by marking “Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)” as Want to Read:
Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)

Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways #4)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,812 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
When a group of teenagers discovers that their parents are actually super-villains, they run away from home... but that's only step one Now that the evil Pride is gone, nearly every bad guy in the Marvel Universe is trying to fill the power vacuum in Los Angeles, and the Runaways are the only heroes who can stop them Plus: What does a mysterious new team of young heroes wa ...more
Published November 29th 2006 by Marvel (first published October 12th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Runaways, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaways, Vol. 4

Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
And I thought the last one was my favorite.

So, I think what happened originally was (back in 2005 or whenever this was first released), they weren't sure if the last volume would be the end of the series and then they got renewed/extended. The previous main arc of the last three volumes was completed in the last volume and this is basically like a "new beginning" for the Runaways.

We've got the alien, Karolina (who can fly and has mega energy blasts she can shoot out of her body), the mutant Moll
Scarlet Cameo
Jun 28, 2016 Scarlet Cameo rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-tiras
I though know what happen!!! The spell work out!!!

So this in this volumen came Victor (and i really loved Victor in Civil War, and yes, because of that i knew who is his dad before they said it). I don't know what to think, really like more the last volumes but this isn't bad, just not as good.

By the way, who the hell created this covers? Every single one make me believe the worst can happen!!!

Anyway, the next volume hopely give me some answer
Nikki
Sep 07, 2013 Nikki rated it liked it
This is still pretty fun, with an interesting new plotline. I love that Gert, the dumpier, least cool looking kid is the one having a fun and successful relationship. I wish there'd been more character time, though -- and if Ultron is the Big Bad he's meant to be, how come he was taken down so easily...?

Anyway, I always start reading a volume kind of sceptical, not entirely into it. But I always finish them in one go. They don't compare to the Young Avengers for me, but they're fun.
Amanda
Ann-lee
Mar 19, 2016 Ann-lee rated it really liked it
Superkangelasi on ikka nii palju ja nende universumeid ja tulevikke ja minevikke jms, pluss olen täheldanud, et nende puhul tahaks alati rohkem sisu, tegelaste kohta teada, nende mõtteid, tundeid jne, kui antakse. Ehk on tegu koomiksivormi puudusega? Igatahes on need head noortekad, mulle meeldib, et peaaegu kõik peategelased on ägedad tüdrukud ja ma tahan teada saada, mis neist edasi saab ja puha. Ning igasugused nohikuviited teistele asjadele on toredad. Aga tahaks igastühest neist rohkem tead ...more
Ellie
Mar 29, 2015 Ellie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphics
I have read my fair share of graphic novels and I have tried some manga, but this is the first comic that has me absolutely HOOKED. I am so glad that I checked out several volumes at once, because I honestly don't think that I could have slept tonight without reading the next volume. This was jam-packed with action and suspense, plus great cameos by all sorts of Marvel heroes! Loved it!
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Sep 17, 2015 Amanda [Novel Addiction] rated it really liked it
This seriously just keeps getting better. Considering this was just something I picked up originally to meet a reading challenge goal, this ended up being something I legitimately enjoy reading. Already requested volume 5!
Amanda
Aug 01, 2015 Amanda rated it it was ok
This one jumped all over the place with extra stories that didn't flow with the main plot...sigh. Still good but not great.

(See reviews of other volumes for my other issues with this series.)
Trin
Feb 15, 2009 Trin rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel
The first few issues of the Runaways relaunch, after the series was canned and then resurrected (how very superhero comic of it). These are silly, but fun: I enjoyed them more than the series’ opening/original arc, though that may be just because 1) I haven’t read any Vaughan in a while, and I missed his mad yarn-spinning skills, or 2) I haven’t read far enough for the mystery to be revealed, so it hasn’t gotten the chance to get dumb yet. But in the mean time there are shapeshifting aliens and ...more
Connie
May 25, 2016 Connie rated it really liked it
4/5 stars

No f*cking way. I knew it. I knew that person couldn't be dead. Holy cow I'm so PUMPED.
Amber
Aug 06, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
new arch. yay
Will Redd
Sep 19, 2014 Will Redd rated it it was amazing
Picking up a little while after the end of the first Runaways series, the gang is back in action! Their modus operandi? Help other runaway kids who might be getting mixed up with the wrong element (meaning super villains). We find the group squaring off against the Wrecking Crew, which really seems to be a test for any new do-gooder out there. This time, one of Wrecker's goons has his kid tagging along on their first heist since moving to LA.

While the Runaways test their mettle against some ench
Roxanne
Feb 17, 2011 Roxanne rated it liked it
Recommended to Roxanne by: Simeon Berry
I'm still really enjoying the Runaways. It was fun to see what the kids do with their powers and their freedom after the big confrontation at the end of volume 3. I did get annoyed with how they kept treating Victor like he's already a criminal when he technically hasn't done anything yet, and I'm wondering how they're going to decide when they've averted the danger here, considering that they won't know for sure if he kills them all until 20 years from now. I want to keep reading.
Nicole Field
Jul 14, 2014 Nicole Field rated it really liked it
This series is getting better and better.

Now that the Pride are dead, things should be getting better, right? Wrong. The only problem with the Pride being gone is the power vacuum it creates, and the Runaways already have their hands full with trying to divert new problems as they arise.

In this one, there were no vampires but there were rouge parents and another team made up of priorly teenaged superheroes. S.H.I.E.L.D. were present, as was Ryan Jones. Unfortunately for me, I'm not fan enough
Rowena Tylden-Pattenson
This is a few volumes into Runaways, and it's pretty good. I've read a few of these before (not sure which ones specifically, got them all mixed up), but they're a pretty awesome team and not really like any of the others out there. This one's got really nice art that's consistent throughout, and a fairly well rounded story as well, if a bit cliche at points. There's a fair bit of catch-up stuff included in this one in case you've not read Runaways before, which is always helpful as well- I've r ...more
Shera (Book Whispers)
Dec 15, 2014 Shera (Book Whispers) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006, comic-marvel
A nice setup volume to this new arc! It's great a kid from the "ultimate evil of the universe" joins the group, and The Pride may not be dead yet. Goodies!
Jana
May 16, 2016 Jana rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
4.5*
Fiona
Dec 14, 2014 Fiona rated it it was amazing
So, this one was by far my favorite of the Runaways books. Full of plot twists, brilliant character development, and some excellent artwork, it certainly deserves my five star rating.

THE ART

Not my favorite, but still excellent. The darker, rather subtle colors fit the mood of the book very well. Molly looks quite a bit older than usual, and it seems as if they slimmed down Gertude a bit, but aside from that I liked it.

THE WRITING

One doesn't usually expect excellent writing in a comic. But True B
Kate
Aug 12, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
Runaways vol 4 #1-6
Art: passable the coloring is good and as always you can't tell it's the same artist as the previous books but it is low and behold the art isn't bad but for manga fans it's not nice to look at exactly C+

Characters: Gertrude, chase, nico, molly, karolina and old lace. gertrude is sarky and sarcastic the brains of the operation and funny at times in a very dry manner, chase is less obnoxious he is brainy but one watt short of a light he is the cute kinda dumb, Nico is still the
Robert Beveridge
Brian K. Vaughan, Runaways, vol. 4: True Believers (Marvel, 2005)

The second life of Runaways kicks off in True Believers, the fourth collection in Vaughan's dysfunctional-superhero-teens comic. The team are now down to five, with the traitor eradicated in the battle between the Runaways and the Pride, and they've taken over their parents' old hideout below the La Brea Tar Pits museum. The destruction of the Pride has created a power vacuum in Los Angeles, and the Runaways, feeling responsible fo
Fizzgig76
Reprints Runaways (2) #1-6 (April 2005-September 2005). The Runaways are back and finding more trouble when they encounter a version of Gert from the future. The Runaways learn from Gert’s dying breath that a villain named Victor Mancha could destroy them all if they trust him. Now, the Runaways must stop Victor but discover that Victor could be an innocent pawn of his father. Also, a new group called Excelsior made up of Lightspeed, Turbo, Ricochet, Darkhawk, Chamber, and Phil Urich are gunning ...more
Maija
Jun 13, 2016 Maija rated it liked it

I saw this trade paperback in the library and picked it up, since I had heard a lot of good things about the title. I was interested in the premise of a group of teenage superheroes, especially when girls made up the majority. The characters, their powers, and the baggage their super-villain parents left behind, were intriguing. I enjoyed the dialogue and the main theme of are people responsible for their parent's actions, and the actions they themselves might make in the future.

I thought I was
Kiwi
Dec 12, 2014 Kiwi rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book and its twists. Missed some of the slower moments of them bonding, but hoping to see more of them in the future. Also Karolina's lines--yes! That she went "Queer Eye" on the place. She better get to have some fun soon! I care more about the characters and the art than I do about the plot, to be honest.

(view spoiler)
Sylvester
May 05, 2016 Sylvester rated it it was amazing
The Runaways ran away again from the social service to their new lair, but when Gertrude from the future time travelled back to warn them about the possible superhero massacre in the distant past, they must work to alter the future. Meanwhile a group of amateur heroes are trying to help the kids. There's a bigger plot going on than all of them expected.

It was a lot better now that the annoying characters are mostly gone (except Gertrude), the story was smooth and the artwork has improved.
Mersini
Enjoyable. Definitely had the feel of a first book in a new arc, which it is, but it wasn't awkward, since we already know the main cast. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series.

Also, Karolina better get some damn lady loving! I'm sick of the implications without any deliverance. But also are we just going to ignore the fact that future Gert knew what year it was because of Karolina's presence? Because that's one implication I don't like.
Samantha
Dec 11, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Marvel fans
I am a huge Marvel fan, and once more I broke my sequel rule......Oh well!

Since I was little, I always found it fun to read and watch all the superheroes: Spider-Man & X-Men...I even watched Batman & Superman! (DC is not my favorite but its still good, marvel is just more relatable and awesomer by comparison)

Anyway, I found this book at the library (isn't that how it always goes?) and knew I just had to read it! I did and I want to go find the prior 3 novels and continue on to see what h
Julie
Oh, the layers just keep coming. I loved the plotline about the former teen superheroes starting a support group. I only knew one of those characters (and it turned out that may not have been relevant...) but the concept was great. Vaughan is really thinking about the whole teen superhero deal and how it would affect these kids' lives. I'm definitely sucked in at this point.
Caitlin
Nov 09, 2013 Caitlin rated it really liked it
In volume 4, the Runaways are, along with others in the LA area, trying to fill the power vacuum left by the destruction of the Pride. When a future Gert appears and tells them that they have to find a boy so that he cannot later destroy the Avengers, the Runaways are set on a collision course with a very familiar Marvel villain. And a mysterious benefactor contacts a group of former superheroes to try to get them to find the Runaways and get them off the streets and into normal lives. These for ...more
Kaethe
So now the teens not only have to work together to protect themselves, but the power vacuum left by their no-longer-overlording-parents means that LA now looks attractive to other villains.

They rise to the challenge.

Now is as good a time as any to mention that I love how Vaughan addressed the traditional gender imbalance of comics: he just created more female characters. Wow, that's easy.

Library copy.
Jordan
Mar 11, 2016 Jordan rated it liked it
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids (Runaways, #8)
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong (Runaways, #9)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling (Runaways, #11)
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 2: Family Matters (Young Avengers, #2)
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
  • Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • X-Factor: Life and Death Matters
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, #3)
  • Powers, Vol. 7: Forever
  • Young Avengers Presents (Young Avengers Presents)
  • Captain Marvel, Vol. 2: Down
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

Runaways (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy (Runaways, #1)
  • Runaways, Vol. 2: Teenage Wasteland (Runaways, #2)
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids (Runaways, #8)
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong (Runaways, #9)
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling (Runaways, #11)