Start by marking “Re-make/Re-model: Becoming Roxy Music” as Want to Read:
Re-make/Re-model: Becoming Roxy Music

Re-make/Re-model: Becoming Roxy Music

"The generously illustrated inside account of how Bryan Ferry invented the legendary rock band Roxy Music, by perhaps the most accomplished writer of his generation" (GQ)

"In 1972 an English rock band released its first album to instant critical acclaim: Roxy Music. Here was a group that looked as though it came not only from another era, but from another planet - a band in
Published (first published April 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Re-make/Re-model, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Re-make/Re-model

Tosh
Jan 04, 2008 Tosh rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fashion history lunatics, Roxy fans, London 60's obsession, and Warhol fans
Not really a biography on the the great British band , but more of a cultural history surrounding Roxy Music. Very detailed information regarding the visual art world, the boutiques, and the fashion stylists/designers of that period (mid to late 60's) who knew Bryan Ferry, Eno & company. The book stops right after the recording of the first album - so it's unusual that it's totally focus on the 'idea' of Roxy Music with everyone in the band participating in the interviews that are in the ...more
Albert
Aug 07, 2014 Albert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not entirely what it appears to be. It is a book mostly about the aspects that brought about the creation of Roxy Music and less of a book about the group's adventures as a band. There are a few accounts near the end of the book about the band and some of their gigs, but mostly this book focuses on the influences that went into forming the group, it's art school background, and the elements gained from these experiences, with vast discussions of the Pop Art scene in the England, ...more
Catherine
Mar 14, 2014 Catherine rated it did not like it
"The most gifted writer of his generation" - good grief. I'm a fan of the first Roxy album and a huge fan of Eno. I plowed through this thing to impress my ex-boyfriend, who had a tendency to be entertained by boring things. This reads like a bad college thesis paper and says "Roxy music was the act of glam, putting on another face" ad nauseam. The only interesting part was when Brian Eno was at the Ipswich school. It will be years before I cleanse my mind of this brick and read a music book ...more
Jeff Jackson
***1/2. Thoughtful, well written, and exhaustive look at cultural scene and influences that led to creation of Roxy Music. If you're not an Anglophile, maybe more than you wanted to know about British Art Schools etc, but it does an excellent job highlighting the varied art and musical strains Bryan Ferry drew upon creating this most unusual band. Great chapters on Brian Eno, too.
John
Oct 14, 2008 John rated it liked it
Warning! This book isn't about Roxy Music but rather the emergence of the band's pop art aesthetic in the British art schools of the late ’50s and early ’60s. If you are interested in a book about music or people making music, you'll be very annoyed.
Jeremy S.
May 01, 2014 Jeremy S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"...Roxy Music is a glamorisation. And I didn't think my own name was terribly glamorous; and I suppose, all those years ago, I changed my name to Roxy Music."
-Bryan Ferry

This quote helps close out Remake/Remodel and I think it summarizes the idea behind the book and what Roxy Music really is. It's more than just a band or musical act that puts out records. Roxy is a living art installation that was the vision of one man and became fully realized with the help of several like minded artists
Jakey Gee
Sep 15, 2015 Jakey Gee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Now, this is pretty dreadful if you are looking for a conventional band biography, but still proves to be interesting and more ambitious than one - by being a bit of a primer on sixties art education, fashion, retail...and underground London. In fact, it's a quaint reminder of how West London was once cool - much of the action happening in Ladbroke Grove, Chelsea and Kensington.

To be clear, at times - especially early on - I was starting to find it insufferable, feeling that here was a writer w
Roxy
Jun 20, 2016 Roxy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dissertation
Saying a book changed your life is often quite a statement to make, and it's not a statement I'm about to make, however "Re-Make/Re-Model..." certainly enriched my life, as well as rekindling an interest in one of my favourite bands of all time, helping me (as an art student) to view Roxy as an art project, perhaps even a movement, and not just a bunch of musicians.

The book focuses not on the biography of the band so much as assesses and tells the respective stories of the formative years of th
Fred Garnett
Mar 06, 2015 Fred Garnett rated it it was amazing
I'm involved in promoting Heutagogy, or the pedagogy of creativity, in education and the first 200 pages of this book are the best description of practical Heutagogy in UK Art Schools of the fifties which were a key factor in the explosion of British pop music with bands like The Beatles, Stones, The Kinks and notably The Who working out their approaches in Art College. Roxy Music are a seventies band and consequently had a much longer genesis in Art COllege, Bryan Ferry, Andy Mackay and Brian ...more
Rebecca
The book has the title Roxy - The band that created an era. Since the book ends with their first record and all of the first 340 or so pages has nothing at all to do with the band itself but what led up to its creation I think it would be more correct to call it Roxy - and the era that created the band. But if you get over that this is an excellent book.

Through tons of interviews with those who were around (not just the band members, but the people around them) and an eye for details the writer
Danielle
Feb 03, 2009 Danielle rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: pompous teen obsessed with roxy music
Let me start by saying I love Roxy Music, but clearly nobody loves Roxy Music like Michael Bracewell. This book is certainly informative, but the obsession for detail gets to be a bit much. And why say something once when you can say it twice? Or 3 times? I started out enjoying the book, then started to find it irritating, then finally gave in and got a lot of laughs reading passages aloud and counting the number of embedded clauses in each sentence. The main focus of the story is Bryan Ferry, ...more
Geoffrey
May 01, 2014 Geoffrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This book is an in-depth look at the art and music scenes of the UK back in the 50s and 60s. I would have liked it to have gone into a bit more into the stories behind select tracks of the entire catalog of Roxy Music, but getting full histories of the key members of the band (Ferry, Eno and Mackay) made for an interesting read. There are plenty of photos throughout, unfortunately the quality is a bit murky on most.
Jesse
Aug 11, 2008 Jesse rated it liked it
One's appreciation for this book depends on whether or not one thinks Bryan Ferry is a genius. Basically a really well done 33 1/3-type book about a given album -- in this case Roxy Music's self-titled debut -- Bracewell explores Ferry's influences in the form of his art school teachers. If one's interest in Roxy Music is limited to the participation of Brian Eno, then a solid bookstore browse of chapters 17-19, plus bits & bobs later on, should suffice.
Gary Fowles
Mar 10, 2015 Gary Fowles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once you get over the initial shock that a book titled 'ROXY - The Band That Invented An Era', isn't actually the Roxy Music story, but instead more the story leading up to their formation. Then this is quite a good, if somewhat misleading read.

If you have an interest in the British Pop Art movement of the late '50s/early '60s, then you could do worse than this. I enjoyed the book best though once Eno is on the page and things start happening.
Michael D
May 01, 2014 Michael D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly well researched book on Roxy, tangentially, this is in reality a history of British art schools during the 50s and 60s and how the ideas cultivated there affected popular culture and music in the 70s. It's several levels above your typical music book and worth reading if you're any kind of culture vulture at all. Highly recommended.
Anna
Jan 14, 2009 Anna rated it did not like it
I could not finish this book. If one is going to write a book about Roxy Music, then most of the book should probably be about the band, and not about the art school that Bryan Ferry attended and what a happening place it apparently was. That's just my bias, though.
Barbara Keilty
Mar 20, 2016 Barbara Keilty rated it really liked it
Shelves: tesis
Excelente documento histórico de la formación de Roxy Music y la importancia de las art schools en la Inglaterra de los 60 -70s.
George
Informed intellectual study of the creative roots of Roxy Music; but not a tome about the brilliance of their body of work.
Helena
Helena rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2011
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
May 01, 2014
Nathan Larson
Nathan Larson rated it liked it
May 01, 2014
Kevin Smith
Kevin Smith rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Cully
Cully rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Morgan Wolfe
Morgan Wolfe rated it liked it
May 21, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Sally M
Sally M rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2009
Jason Anderson
Jason Anderson rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2015