Start by marking “Ishq and Mushq” as Want to Read:
Ishq and Mushq

Priya Basil

Ishq and Mushq

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  168 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
When Sarna Singh leaves the lustrous green hills of Uganda for England, rows of cramped old houses were not what she was expecting. Husband Karam has brought her to Clapham Common, hoping that the greenery will remind her of Kampala.But Sarna is convinced they have moved to England so he can visit his secret London lady friends. She has a devastating secret of her own. How ...more
Published 2007

Gerund
Mar 12, 2009 Gerund rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: immigrant-lit
EVER since Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children bagged the Booker of Bookers in 1993 -- declaring it the best novel written during the Prize's first 25 years of existence -- Indian literature in English has officially been, in a word, hot.

It is easy to see the appeal of such novels. India has a rich history of thousands years from which to glean inspiration, yet the former British colony still feels accessible and relevant to Westerners. Meanwhile, its people are cosmopolitan -- particular the
Therese
Overall I really enjoyed this book. The only complaint I had about it was that it went off on random tangents from time to time making me lose interest in the plotline, but otherwise it was a really great story with nicely developed, interesting characters and as it covered a specific subject (Sikhs) in both India/Africa and then in England, I found it of particular interest as I knew nothing before now about their culture, so that was cool.
Heather
Sep 23, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this. At times I felt the book was double the length it needed to be to tell the story it wanted to tell! Ultimately satisfied with the ending and book as a whole! Would read again. Bit disbelieving that there are so many negative reviews! A solid first novel, look forward to seeing more from Basil in the future!
Josie
Nov 28, 2015 Josie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Review:
I counted this book for AFRICA: Kenya for the 666 for 2015 - An Around the World Reading Challenge .
This story spans London, England (United Kingdom), Nairobi (Kenya), Kampala (Uganda) and India, so a great choice for this challenge! The author herself grew up in Kenya too.
This is a story of 3 generations of Punjabis, the Singh family, who are Indian and move from Nairobi (Kenya) to Kampala (Uganda) and then on to London, England. Its a story of fitting in, the struggle for head of th
Irfan
Apr 29, 2013 Irfan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-cover
Delightful story of 3 generations of Punjabis in India, East Africa and UK.
Anna
Feb 24, 2012 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Эту книгу я купила просто потому, что больше ничего интересного не попалось на глаза. Лучше бы я ничего не покупала. Сразу скажу, что книга просто никакая.

Индийская семья с маленькими детишками переезжают из Намибии в Лондон. Наверное, это меня и зацепило. Ну, знаете, люблю читать взгляды иммигрантов на жизнь в новой стране. Тем более, Англия мне теперь близка. Но это совсем не то, что я ожидала. Наверное, я думала, что «Имбирь и мускат» - это индийская версия «Есть. Молиться. Любить». Жаль, чт
Naheed Hassan
This is Priya Basil's first book and clearly a labor of love. The labor however, is very evident. The book tries to do and be many things, and while the author clearly has a marvellous command over the English language, her prose fails to draw one into the story. Readable, but not a great or very good read.
Sameera Kamulkar
I get stuck with any book that is set across a span of time. And so it was with this one. i enjoyed the glimpse into the life of Indians in Africa who moved to Britain. The whole British Punjabi diaspora. But that was it. Not more than that.
Wendy
I'm afraid I've given up on this as it just isn't holding my attention but then I've been so busy lately I've not had time to think about any. I've given it 3 stars as the bit I read seemed well written and I don't think it is right to mark a book down for personal preference.
Ranju
Jun 09, 2013 Ranju rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Journey spans from partition to Africa to England, enjoyable, although sometimes laboured a point too much, occasionally made me wonder why irrelevant tangents were explored, but came clear at the end. Would recommend, if only to show why some first generation Indians have the values and thoughts they do, and how the next generation have changed.
Malivai
nice view on the habits and rituals of the sikh in India and the UK.
Rowizyx
Un libro agrodolce, che ti fa venire voglia di ordinare tutto il takeaway indiano sul menu, ma che racconta anche una storia familiare intrecciata e complessa con amori, piccole vendette, segreti, tentativi di dimenticare e profumi incredibili.
Letto in un lampo, ottima evasione dal lavoro e dai lunghi viaggi in treno!
Ann
Apr 01, 2011 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lib, 2011
I decided to read this book because it said on the back that a lot of food was involved. It was a disappointment. The book itself was a bit tedious: it would have been more interesting if it's volume was half of what it is now. I finished it though: that's the reason it still got 2 stars.
Johanna
Jun 16, 2008 Johanna rated it it was ok
A tough read. Fairly joyless. Felt a little bit like Kate Chopin, only Indian. Interesting commentary on traditional familial roles, esp. the mother worship in Inidan culture. A good read if you really enjoy books about the Indian culture - lots on food, which I loved!
 Marianne
Its Priyas Basils first book.It spans Partition from India, elixabthe 11s Coronation and Chruchills funeral to the present day. Its a passinate and moving family drama but a little too long. ...more
Dhana
Aug 27, 2012 Dhana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminds me of what my parents went through when they came to England as East African Asians......nice story....
Jane Hodgkiss
Enjoyable and well written but too similar to all the other Birtish-Asian books around at the moment
Gabriela
Nov 21, 2013 Gabriela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-shelf-en
An amazng book with a lot learnings and family saga.
Greg Basil
Jun 26, 2013 Greg Basil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant. Funny and dramatic. Very Indian!!
Andrea
Jul 20, 2008 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
Interesting but frustrating.
Keith
Keith added it
Jul 02, 2016
Shilpi
Shilpi marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Amal
Amal added it
Jun 26, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Tayaba
Tayaba marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Khamakhya Prasad
Khamakhya Prasad rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Renata Torres
Renata Torres rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Charu Gupta
Charu Gupta rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
  • Love Marriage
  • Occupation Diaries
  • Rani
  • Marxism and Other Western Fallacies : An Islamic Critique
Priya grew up in Kenya, returning to the UK to study English Literature at the University of Bristol. She had a career in advertising before becoming a full time writer. In 2010 Priya, and the journalist Matthias Fredrich-Auf der Horst, initiated Authors for Peace. It is intended to be a platform from which writers can actively use literature in different ways to promote peace. The first event by ...more
More about Priya Basil...