Start by marking “Ishq and Mushq” as Want to Read:
Ishq and Mushq

Priya Basil

Ishq and Mushq

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When Sarna Singh leaves the lustrous green hills of Uganda for England, rows of cramped old houses were not what she was expecting. Husband Karam has brought her to Clapham Common, hoping that the greenery will remind her of Kampala.But Sarna is convinced they have moved to England so he can visit his secret London lady friends. She has a devastating secret of her own. How ...more
Published 2007

Gerund
EVER since Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children bagged the Booker of Bookers in 1993 -- declaring it the best novel written during the Prize's first 25 years of existence -- Indian literature in English has officially been, in a word, hot.

It is easy to see the appeal of such novels. India has a rich history of thousands years from which to glean inspiration, yet the former British colony still feels accessible and relevant to Westerners. Meanwhile, its people are cosmopolitan -- particular the
Therese
Overall I really enjoyed this book. The only complaint I had about it was that it went off on random tangents from time to time making me lose interest in the plotline, but otherwise it was a really great story with nicely developed, interesting characters and as it covered a specific subject (Sikhs) in both India/Africa and then in England, I found it of particular interest as I knew nothing before now about their culture, so that was cool.
Heather
Really enjoyed this. At times I felt the book was double the length it needed to be to tell the story it wanted to tell! Ultimately satisfied with the ending and book as a whole! Would read again. Bit disbelieving that there are so many negative reviews! A solid first novel, look forward to seeing more from Basil in the future!
Irfan
Delightful story of 3 generations of Punjabis in India, East Africa and UK.
Anna
Эту книгу я купила просто потому, что больше ничего интересного не попалось на глаза. Лучше бы я ничего не покупала. Сразу скажу, что книга просто никакая.

Индийская семья с маленькими детишками переезжают из Намибии в Лондон. Наверное, это меня и зацепило. Ну, знаете, люблю читать взгляды иммигрантов на жизнь в новой стране. Тем более, Англия мне теперь близка. Но это совсем не то, что я ожидала. Наверное, я думала, что «Имбирь и мускат» - это индийская версия «Есть. Молиться. Любить». Жаль, чт
Sameera Kamulkar
I get stuck with any book that is set across a span of time. And so it was with this one. i enjoyed the glimpse into the life of Indians in Africa who moved to Britain. The whole British Punjabi diaspora. But that was it. Not more than that.
Ranju
Journey spans from partition to Africa to England, enjoyable, although sometimes laboured a point too much, occasionally made me wonder why irrelevant tangents were explored, but came clear at the end. Would recommend, if only to show why some first generation Indians have the values and thoughts they do, and how the next generation have changed.
Malivai
nice view on the habits and rituals of the sikh in India and the UK.
Rowizyx
Un libro agrodolce, che ti fa venire voglia di ordinare tutto il takeaway indiano sul menu, ma che racconta anche una storia familiare intrecciata e complessa con amori, piccole vendette, segreti, tentativi di dimenticare e profumi incredibili.
Letto in un lampo, ottima evasione dal lavoro e dai lunghi viaggi in treno!
Ann
I decided to read this book because it said on the back that a lot of food was involved. It was a disappointment. The book itself was a bit tedious: it would have been more interesting if it's volume was half of what it is now. I finished it though: that's the reason it still got 2 stars.
Johanna
A tough read. Fairly joyless. Felt a little bit like Kate Chopin, only Indian. Interesting commentary on traditional familial roles, esp. the mother worship in Inidan culture. A good read if you really enjoy books about the Indian culture - lots on food, which I loved!
 Marianne
It´s Priya´s Basil´s first book.It spans Partition from India, elixabthe 11´s Coronation and Chruchill´s funeral to the present day. It´s a passinate and moving family drama but a little too long.
Dhana
Reminds me of what my parents went through when they came to England as East African Asians......nice story....
Jane Hodgkiss
Enjoyable and well written but too similar to all the other Birtish-Asian books around at the moment
Gabriela
An amazng book with a lot learnings and family saga.
Greg Basil
Absolutely brilliant. Funny and dramatic. Very Indian!!
Andrea
Interesting but frustrating.
Annelies
Annelies marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Shamma
Shamma marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Swati
Swati added it
Feb 09, 2015
Jesse Baer
Jesse Baer marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Britta
Britta marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Arjun
Arjun marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Sere1nella
Sere1nella marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Kai
Kai marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
  • كائنات فوق
  • King of the Jews
  • Inside Little Britain
  • The 100 Most Influential Books Ever Written
Priya grew up in Kenya, returning to the UK to study English Literature at the University of Bristol. She had a career in advertising before becoming a full time writer. In 2010 Priya, and the journalist Matthias Fredrich-Auf der Horst, initiated Authors for Peace. It is intended to be a platform from which writers can actively use literature in different ways to promote peace. The first event by ...more
More about Priya Basil...
Strangers on the 16:02 The Obscure Logic of the Heart Ishq & Mushq: Amor & Cheiro