Start by marking “Airman” as Want to Read:
Airman

Airman

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  16,126 Ratings  ·  1,333 Reviews
In the 1890s Conor and his family live on the sovereign Saltee Islands, off the Irish coast. Conor spends his days studying the science of flight with his tutor and exploring the castle with the king’s daughter, Princess Isabella. But the boy’s idyllic life changes forever the day he discovers a deadly conspiracy against the king. When Conor tries to intervene, he is brand ...more
Published 2008 by Puffin (first published June 1st 2007)

Betsy
Jan 19, 2008 Betsy rated it it was amazing
How Not to Review a Book: Do not begin your review by jumping off into some big old rant about how you never liked anything the author wrote before, particularly if you are about to praise their newest novel. Do not use phrases like “how did this happen?” and “why now?” and “are they near death?” You may mention how impressed you were with the author’s speaking engagements, mentioning in passing their brilliant encapsulation of, oh say, The Legend of Spud Murphy. Do not then mention how disappo ...more
Michael Ames
Dec 03, 2008 Michael Ames rated it it was amazing
Fact: I was a nerd growing up (still am). Theory: Eoin Colfer was, too. Evidence: His books are a total celebration of nerd-dom. Honestly, between Artemis Fowl and now Airman, he's satisfying every daydreaming-during-trigonometry fantasy of every boy out there who's had to struggle with the fact that he has more brains than biceps.

I'll admit that the main character in this book, Conor Broekhart, is tough and good-looking. But that's entirely secondary to the fact that he's a mechanical genius a
Bry
Jul 07, 2011 Bry rated it really liked it
Know what I love these days???

Stand alone novels!

No sequels, prequels, trilogies, remakes, rewrites, re-releases, etc. etc. etc.

A single book with a beginning, middle, and end.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I really enjoyed it - the plot, characters, and writing. At first I thought it would be a bit too similar to the Count of Monte Cristo, it even had a dash of Man in the Iron Mask thrown in. Despite that, it was still original and suspenseful and had me vested in the outcome.

I ha
Hope
"Airman" is the thrilling story of a fourteen year old boy named Conor Broekhart who dreams of flight. Unfortunately, his dreams are dashed when Conor is accused of murdering the king and is sent to the dreaded prison island of Little Saltee. All throughout his stay, Conor draws up his plans of escape, but the only way to escape Little Saltee is to fly.

I loved Conor Broekhart so much. He was this sweet, innocent, and nerdy kid who was obsessed with planes and gliders and such. I loved getting t
Sara ♥
November 1-3, 2013

Only 42 stars, Past Sara? Really? I know you were trying to be funny with the Hitchhiker's reference there, but you were seriously undervaluing this book!

It's AWESOME. Conor is THE BEST EVAR!!! It's kind of a teenage boy book, as it's about a teenage boy, but whatever! Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl books are really great, but this is my favorite of all his books!

The audiobook is really great, too! LOVE IT!!!!!!

August 25-27, 2010

Fabulous the second time around, too! :)

November 9,
Oscar
'Airman', de Eoin Colfer, constituye todo un homenaje a los folletines decimonónicos de aventuras, sobre todo a un autor, Alejandro Dumas, y una novela, 'El conde de Montecristo', con algún ligero toque de 'El hombre de la máscara de hierro'.

La historia trascurre a finales del siglo XIX, en las Islas Saltee (que constituyen un reino en sí mismas), frente a las costas de Irlanda, compuestas de dos islas, Great Saltee, donde residen los habitantes de este principado, y Little Saltee, donde está su
Mya
Aug 09, 2013 Mya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Wow. That's all I can really say. This book, and my feels, took a beating. There were some points when I wanted to throw it across the room and go hurt something. It's that good.
I advise, before you start this book, to invest in a good psychiatrist. The plotting is so...thick...so complex that I could hardly put it down. (Unfortunately, I had to, as I had to see to my life and feed myself.) But, really, Eoin Colfer, I love you dearly. The characters, the plot, the whole world is just fantastic
Janette
First of all, let me say that I am a total Eoin Colfer fan. Really. I bought this book without knowing anything about it except that Eoin Colfer wrote it--and I usually don't do that. He is such a skilled writer though. He effortlessly juggles pacing, dialogue, action, internal thought, characterization, description--all of it. He makes it look easy. And in omniscient point of view too.

That said, I had a major problem with this book. One part was totally unbelievable.

*spoiler alert*

Oh, I was wil
May 26, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok
Conor Broekhart lives on a small island governed by King Nicholas Trudeau. Conor's days are spent with his tudor and playing with princess Isabella. But Conor's real passion is flying. All Conor's life he's dreamed of flying. He spends massive amounts of time and energy pursuing his obsession. That changes when he discovers a plot to overthrow the king and becomes tangled in the mess and branded as a traitor, being sent off to work in the diamond mines on little Saltee.

I decided to read this boo
Stephanie (Bookfever. ❤)
Airman is a very special book to me. I read it a few times when I was younger and I thought it was high time for a re-read. I'm so glad to find it even better than I remembered. As much as I love Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series, I have to say that I think Airman is his best work so far (of the books I have read by him). It's simply a beautiful story. I'd forgotten how beautiful it really was. It also has a lot of adventure, a budding romance that I adored and some the most unique characters I ...more
Robert Tabb
Jul 20, 2012 Robert Tabb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My wife mentioned the other day that I am "all about the ending" when it comes to books or movies. And that is why I can't bring myself to give Airman 5 stars even though it is one of the most enjoyable books I've read.

A royal romance, a plot to overthrow the government, a prison break, and high-flying (literally - of course everything in a book is literal) adventure, and awesome names (Declan Brokehart is such a cool name) abound in this wonderfully written adventure following Conor Brokehart'
❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
― Eoin Colfer, Airman

-> "An average human sees a book as pages and ink. An avid reader looks up for an adventure and knowledge"
- Numey

Airman by Eoin Colfer, about a crisp-sarcastic-determined-soft.from.heart-knighted-flyer aka Conor Broekhart

((Will write later, soon))

My 'soon' never comes :/ Even after my tomorrow goes, my soon never comes, no idea why!
ezra's mischief
Aug 08, 2015 ezra's mischief rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who couldn't love this book. Dare I say, this is Eoin Colfer's best work. I mean, I'll always be AF af, but this is pretty darn good. It kept me hooked all the way through, and it's got such great progression.

Also, can we just take a second to appreciate that name? CONOR BROEKHART

Not to mention, Hugo Bonvilain, who is surprisingly the villain. Plot twist.

But really, this is a fantastic book and I absolutely loved it.
Nüll
May 13, 2012 Nüll rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-reads
Wonderful! Amazing! I can still feel the air in my face!
Becky
I picked this book up quite a while ago, but never got around to reading it until I decided to give it away. I'm not sure why I never read it, because everything about this seems like it would be to my taste. I really enjoyed the Artemis Fowl series, and laugh like a loon whenever I read them, so I had a pretty good idea that I would like his other books, but still I put this off.

Well I'm glad that I decided to give it away, because it gave me an excuse to read this sooner than later, and I'm h
Jamie (ReadsInTrees) Dacyczyn
Well, I think I'll go ahead and give this one 4 stars, which is fairy high praise from me. I didn't care for Artemis Fowl when I read it years ago, but still decided to give this stand-alone novel a shot. Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE stand-alone novels compared to fluffed trilogies or endless series?

This book felt a bit like a superhero origin tale. Although it was a bit far fetched in some areas (of course our young protagonist learns fencing, wrestling, AND karate from a master, how c
Penny McGill
Apr 20, 2013 Penny McGill rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-older-kids
We liked this book a lot - drawn to it by Eoin Colfer, of course - but I have to say I am a bit sorry that my 11-year old daughter read it. I know that is a bit crazy because she has done the Hunger Games, Maze Runner and Divergent and they are filled with violence and stress that I hope neither she or any of her friends ever deal with or even think they'll come close to seeing in their lives but the details in those series seem to be on the edge of entertainment, as if there isn't ever a chance ...more
Katherine
Aug 05, 2009 Katherine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
I read this to my step-daughter. We had read Colfer’s previous books all of which we enjoyed, so we were looking forward to this one. It was a disappointment.

None of Eoin Colfer’s books are exactly realistic, in the Artemis Fowl series for instance, fairies, centaurs and wild, impossible schemes abound, but there’s a sense of fun, a playfulness that keeps the reader entertained and engaged. The Airman is serious, bleak even, so that there is nothing to balance the pure comic book evil of the vi
Manni
Feb 02, 2015 Manni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nopeatempionen,hauska,tapahtumarikas ja kaikin puolin mahtava kirja! Minulle tuli tästä kovasti mieleen monte criston kreivi elokuva, jonka katsoin joskus lapsena. Tämä kirja oli kuitenkin paljon enemmän minun mieleeni kuin kyseinen elokuva :D.
Hannah
Oct 24, 2010 Hannah rated it really liked it
I liked this. I wanted to scream at Conor near the end. But I liked it a lot more than AF
Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~
I LOVED THIS BOOK. It's the kind of story that I could read over and over and over again and never get tired of. Review to come soon.
Alexandra
I couldn't get through Artemis Fowl. I liked Half-Moon Investigations ok. THIS story I really enjoyed. Political intrigue and adventure. I cared about the characters. Over all a great read.
Jerry T
May 23, 2017 Jerry T rated it it was amazing
Airman is a book about a rich kid that was a friend of the royal family, who was convicted of a murder that he didn't commit, and was sentenced to a prison where prisoners have to search for diamonds for the rest of his life. While there, he constructs a winged flying mechanism and escapes. He then saves the royal family from being killed by the murderer,(view spoiler)
I rate this book 10/10. It is a great story, including lots of character developmen
Grant
Nov 19, 2013 Grant rated it really liked it
*SPOILER ALERT

Connor is one lucky kid because, 63% percent of all prison escapees were captured within 24 hours, and 97% of all prison escapees were captured which only makes 3 out of 100 escapes successful. In the book Airman by Eoin Colfer a kid, Connor who designs his escape for weeks to get out of a horrible prison, where the food was rotten and his sleeping quarters were bitter and damp. He was put in prison for a crime he did not commit and was only a witness to the crime itself. His escap
Ms Cheryl Parkinson
Immediately on reading this book, I wasn’t hooked. Swashbuckling action is what it promised and I can certainly agree that it didn't disappoint on that level. However, I concede that I am probably too old for this kind of book which I think is targeted at teenagers.

The narrative centres around Conor Brockhart, which is every bit the hero. Young, handsome, gifted and with connections to the royal family. And every hero must have a worthy villain, (of course) and this was found in Hugo Bonvilian -
Amanda Thompson
Original BookTube review HERE

Airman is a historical fiction –another first for Colfer– and he completely dominates the historical adventure genre with this amazing, rich, and potent story.

Remember my review of Half Moon Investigations? When I mentioned "Half Moon Investigations is vastly different from the Artemis Fowl series and The Supernaturalist in genre and style, and I think that is the main reason it doesn’t get the credit it deserves. People weren’t expecting it. But I love it when I see
El Templo
"Al estilo de historias como Los tres mosqueteros, El conde de Montecristo o Viaje al centro de la tierra, Airman es una novela de aventuras a la más pura usanza. </p><p>Eoin Colfer nos sitúa en las Islas Saltee, en la costa irlandesa en torno a 1890, donde nos presenta a Conor, un joven cuyo sueño es surcar el cielo. Desde bien pequeño, y tras demostrar su coraje salvando a la princesa Isabella de una muerte segura, el dicharachero espadachín y científico Victor Vigly le acoge como ...more
Ben
May 20, 2016 Ben rated it really liked it
The main character in this book is a boy named Conor Broekhart. It is set mostly in Ireland in the 1800s, and people are just beginning aeronautics. The main conflict is that the evil Marshall Bonvolain tricks everyone, creating a huge mess in which many different people have been tricked into thinking many false things.
One thing that I liked was the character of Linus Wynter, who had no eyes, because they had been slashed out, and befriended Conor Broekhart when Conor first arrived at the priso
Amith Cheeran
Feb 12, 2014 Amith Cheeran rated it it was amazing
Airman is a historical novel by The Legend Eoin Colfer and is his first attempt at a historical novel. And by God, he did a really good job. Again I had decided to read this book because it is by Colfer, one of my favorite Authors and wanted to any other book than Artemis Fowl which was written by him.

My favorite character is Conor Broekhart, who is the hero of the novel. I like him for his courage and intelligence. Even though all of his family and lover had shown hate to him on a misunderstand
Danny
Oct 01, 2012 Danny rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story about a king, a princess, a teacher who thinks highly of himself, and a young boy born in the clouds with a dream of flight. One day there is a fire in the castle because the princess left some of her dad's chemicals open. Conor, the boy, had made a kite fit for humans to get them both out of there. Once that happens the king comes to him to inform him he will become Sir Conor for saving the king's daughter. The king gets him an amazing teacher that helps him with his lo ...more
Historical fiction 2 6 Oct 31, 2015 04:22PM
Boys in books are just better... 9 55 Feb 04, 2015 08:42AM
thoughts and comments 21 28 Apr 12, 2013 08:33AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Airman 4 6 Feb 05, 2012 11:11AM
  • Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3)
  • Larklight (Larklight, #1)
  • The Hunchback Assignments (The Hunchback Assignments, #1)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • Nick of Time (Nick McIver, #1)
  • Worldshaker (Worldshaker, #1)
  • Borrowed Names: Poems About Laura Ingalls Wilder, Madam C.J. Walker, Marie Curie, and Their Daughters
  • The Convicts (Curse of the Jolly Stone, #1)
  • Lamplighter (Monster Blood Tattoo, #2)
  • Into The Volcano
  • Leepike Ridge
  • The Explosionist
  • Voyage of Slaves (Flying Dutchman, #3)
  • Heart of Veridon (The Burn Cycle, #1)
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the A
More about Eoin Colfer...

“A monkey glances up and sees a banana, and that's as far as he looks. A visionary looks up and sees the moon.” 90 likes
“Don’t feel bad; I regularly reduce people to unintelligible stammers.” 85 likes