Start by marking “Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)” as Want to Read:
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  110,995 ratings  ·  5,349 reviews
Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like o ...more
Published June 2008 by Orbit (first published January 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Called, please sign up.

If you're wary of reading it because you don't want all that "her heart fluttered when she looked into the dark pools of his eyes" romance goo, then no worries! Mercy is a strong woman and does go weak in the knees or take any shit from the guys around her in a culture that expects her to be submissive. There are some romantic relationships that are alluded to or briefly explored, but it is (at least in this book) dealt with very subtly and (as much as you can in an urban fantasy) realistically. (less)
Ermira Page 199: "Just below my navel I had a paw print...I have a couple on my arms, too."
However.. I was always taught that "a couple" is no more than 2…more
However.. I was always taught that "a couple" is no more than 2 really.. Does that mean a couple sleeves? Ahaha. Because that's what she has on the cover.
The cover isn't always correct though. Sometimes the authors have no say in it. That's most likely the case here. They probably just wanted to make her look badass.(less)

Kat Kennedy
Jan 22, 2011 Kat Kennedy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of UF/PNR
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: Bry
The cover is shit
PNR are all the same
Moon Called is still good.

What could be better than a Haiku review?

Well, other than a proper review, I guess...

The thing is, I did REALLY enjoy this book - it has a lot to recommend itself to readers with. Mercy is a nice character. She's not a complete badass but she's not a push over either.

There's a mystery - though the mystery was interesting it all came up kind of lame in the end.

The writing is pretty good and even though the world building is stock-stan
Kat Stark

Buddyread with these incredible women: Anne, Krishna, Sara, & Sesana (Click to read their reviews)

Time for a non-review review...because I fucking can.

This will be a review consisted of movie quotes that I feel explain the book in a way that I can't because I'm too fucking lazy to write a proper review besides, we all know you're either gonna read it or not. Nothing I say will matter.

"A's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed - bred for its skills in m
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
What a great addition to the urban fantasy genre. Mercy is a likeable and engaging protagonist. She doesn't come off as invincible and inhuman in her buttkicking abilities, yet at the same time, she is comfortable in her own skin and can hold her own.

The universe is interesting, much like the world we live in, save the addition of preternatural creatues such as werewolves, vampires, fae, and coyote shifters like Mercy, which seem quite rare.

I enjoyed the description of the pack dynamics and Merc
Feb 12, 2008 Joshua rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a kick-ass female protagonist
Shelves: urban-fantasy
It pains me to say this (and I may lose my "guy" cred), but I'm a big fan of the urban-fantasy sub-genre. While I tend to lean more towards male protagonists (i.e. Butcher's Dresdan Files and Green's Nightside series), I still love me a good, tough female protagonist. That being said, I was hesitant to pick this one up because of the abysmal Harlequin like cover. In my opinion, many of the current crop of urban-fantasy covers look like they belong in the romance section. Why do I even know w ...more
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
BR with my MacHalo Freaks starting Nov 15, 2015.

Note to self: you should review books right after reading them. When you don't you always end up lowering your original rating (view spoiler).

I should be bummed about this. I really should. And I should be wondering why most people in the universe LOVE this book. Well, most people except my dear daughter Liz, that is. But she takes after her amazing father (aka me), meaning she has pretty spectacular book taste this is n
Mar 01, 2010 Tatiana rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
After attempting to read "Moon Called" at least 5 times I am finally giving up. There is absolutely no chance I will ever read the sequels, so why bother?

I am a fan of urban fantasy and this novel is very highly rated by readers, so it is surprising that I disliked it so much. My expectations for urban fantasy are not huge: well developed lore, engaging paranormal mystery and one or two sexy supernatural hunks to swoon over. I don't care how formulaic it is, as long as it is written well.

mercy, mercy.

crushingly dull exposition of everything you already knew about werewolves and et cetera, served over the course of about two hundred and fifty pages of soul-withering conversation, with the requisite love triangle and weapon-listing and speyshul-snowflake-ing and seventy quintillion characters and a plot like a doily and fuck my life if i weren't so desperate to get out of my own head i would have set this on fire and then myself when the token gay human was not physically capable

I like you Mercy Thompson.

I like you because you’re tough, but not invincible.

I like you because you’re brave, but not stupid.

I like you because you are caring, but nobody’s fool.

I like you because you make mistakes, but you don’t place the blame elsewhere.

I like you because you’re smart, but not a show-off.

I like you because you stand on your own among much more powerful creatures than you, but you know your limits.

I like you because you don’t give a damn about what others think of you, but tho

Lately I have been reading just pretty much young adult books but I thought I give adult urban fantasy a go and I’m so glad I did. Moon Called was action packed, witty, suspenseful and addictive. When I finished it I wanted to run straight down to the bookstore and get the next one but unfortunately I had spent my weekly book budget.

The plot is fast moving although there is
Buddy Read (or re-read, in my case) with Kat, Krishna, Sara, and Sesana.
Disclaimer: I may have bullied them into reading this...

All of these guys gave it a 'gentle' 3 stars. Even Sesana (view spoiler) was kind. Thank you!
So, with none of my pals really loving this one, coupled with the fact that I read it 5 years ago, I was fully prepared to change my rating from the original 4 s
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Review from first time i read it, 04/25/11 to 04/27/11:

Mercy was awesome loved this book...

Mercy was really funny

Mercy was really fast (but not easy, takes a whole flipping book for a guy to get a kiss)

Mercy was pretty smart, for a girl ;)

Mercy wasn't completely helpless, she uh might rip your throat out with her teeth and watch you bleed to death (just sayin')

Mercy never even mentions her man eating vagina once in this whole book

Mercy also didn't shower once in this whole book and even she men
What do you get when you have a heroine who can change into a coyote in a matter of seconds add in two sexy male werewolves, and a kidnapping plot that will turn heads? You will get this book “Moon Called” by Patricia Briggs which stars Mercy Thompson, your not so average heroine! If I get paid a dime every time I see a heroine become a shape shifter, I would be a millionaire by now! Full of action, mystery and a lust for the supernatural, “Moon Called” is one novel that paranormal and fantasy r ...more
Lindsey Rey
[4.5 Stars]
Moon Called is the first book in the Mercy Thompson Urban Fantasy series, and it was a strong start. It was fun, fast paced, with strong characters and an engrossing plot. I love my female protags to have some spunk and be able to kick a little ass and Mercy Thompson ticks all those boxes and more!

Mercy Thompson is a “walker” and can shapeshift into a coyote. Mercy isn’t a werewolf but she is very close to them after being raised by a powerful pack. At sixteen, she leaves after the pack Alpha se
Alex is The Romance Fox
I was super happy to discover a new PNR series and after reading Patricia Briggs 1st book in her Mercy Thompson series….I was beyond happy…excited more like it!!!!
Mercy Thompson –
 photo 9bf9d5109049c1e3c7a95a5e17c9aef7_zpsgqnhwmio.jpg
a natural born coyote shape shifter, auto mechanic and owner of a garage, sensible, together, strong and independent, lives in the Tri-Cities are of Washington, amidst a world of humans and supernaturals – vampires, walkers, werewolves, fey, witches…..

The storyline revolves around the murder of a young boy, employed
Moon Called is a run of the mill Urban Fantasy pick. It was entertaining enough to keep my attention, but didn’t elicit any strong feelings of extreme like or dislike. Initially I thought I would totally dig it. The heroine, Mercy, is a tatted up car mechanic. Talk about an interesting angle. But despite Mercy’s uniqueness in this urban fantasy genre, where more often than not, the females are all articulate journalists or cops and yet complete bombshells, Mercy, with all her otherness, still ma ...more
Buddy read with Vishous and Glam.

Moon Called is not a bad start of a series, but it is a far cry from epicness of Darkfever or Magic Bites. Luckily, I was already warned that this series gets better with second, even more so with third book, so I will definitely continue with it.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
4.5 STARS!!!

The biggest reason why I don’t read many UF books is because I can never find a heroine who’s POV doesn’t piss me off. Cat from Night Huntress pissed me off at first because of her prejudices. Merit from the Chicagoland Vampires doesn’t stand out from her supporting cast because they all act the same. I can go on, but instead I’ll just say this:

Mercy is my new favourite heroine! She’s a walker, which allows her to shift into a coyote. With this ability, she’
Wow. So there's really not a good cover-blurb for this book. What the heck? I guess, if they're going for tease, it's hitting the mark. *frowns*

I can't remember who first told me to read this book. I wish I could because it has given me endless hours of entertainment over the years. Patricia Briggs is one of my all-time favorite authors, and I'm not sure I can do her books justice (which is why I haven't even tried to review them before now).

This book's fate rested squarely on Mercy's shoulders
Move on. Nothing new to see here.

That's my biggest complaint about Moon Called. For someone new to the fantasy/supernatural world, it's probably entertaining enough but it definitely has the smack of "been there, done that" for the seasoned genre reader. I would have loved it 10 to 15 years ago.

Moon Called does have a few things going for it, especially the fact that too often books like this are just an excuse to have "things that go bump in the night" bump uglies in the middle of the night (*c
Aug 13, 2013 Maggie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maggie by: Noelle & Sarah
(Originally reviewed on January 5, 2012)

Expectations going in: Low. Very low. There's a mass market feel to urban fantasy that never appealed to my bougie ass.

3% in: Okay, a little intrigued by this note:
4% in: Notice repeated use of the word desultory. Well, well, well. Looks like Patricia Briggs can be bougie too.

10% in: Thinking of potential Tangled gifs to use as a status update. Always a good sign.

12% in
Emily May
I should have liked this. I really wanted to like this. After all, it promises so many of the things I love about the Urban Fantasy genre: kick-ass heroine, supernatural creatures, murder mystery and hot other-wordly men. I'm actually not too demanding of the genre, Halfway to the Grave is one example of UF that is very light with little plot development and limited emphasis on the supernatural mystery element... and I really enjoyed it. If the author focuses on just one of the factors I mention ...more
Jan 10, 2014 Werner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of supernatural fiction, urban fantasy, and or kickbutt heroines
My explorations into the previously (to me) largely uncharted realm of urban fantasy this past year continued with this novel, the opener for a series I'd heard a lot of good things about. When a generous Goodreads friend offered me her copy when she finished reading it, rather than let it gather dust on her shelf, I grabbed it up! As my "really liked it" rating indicates, I'm glad I did.

The Goodreads description of the series premise is a bit "barebones," though accurate enough. Mercy's alterna
Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽
For some reason I read the second book in this Mercy Thompson series first (oh, yeah, this book was checked out at the library at the time, and I really wanted to try out this urban fantasy series). I liked it pretty well, but I have to say everything just made so much more sense once I finally got around to checking out this book! In fact, I actually checked out the second book again, as well as the third book, just so I could put all of the pieces together. So, don't do like I did. Start here, ...more
I have been finding it hard to sit down and write a review for this book. I gave it 4 stars, so I did like it, so that can’t be a problem. I think it’s because I read it while on vacation and my brain was not in review mode.

I really enjoyed this book. I liked Mercy. I liked that she was not a werewolf, but instead a skin walker that shifts into a coyote. Mercy is the only one of her kind and this seems to give her a special status with the werewolves.

The werewolf lore and the pack politics wer
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
I really can't remember why I decided this book wasn't worth my attention the first time I read it. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for it because this time around I couldn't put it down. It has everything!

A decent heroine:

Mercy is a walker. Walkers aren't like werewolves, she doesn't have super-strenght, the full moon just looks beautiful to her, she doesn't have the "killer" instict. She is happy working as a car mechanic, she is loyal to her friends, she is compassionate but she doesn't let peop
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars I liked Mercy, I liked just about all of the characters, and I liked the descriptions of the shapeshifting and the wolf/coyote behavior. The mystery wasn't all that compelling to me in this book and there are a few too many info-dumping passages for my taste, but as with most urban fantasy series, I hear book two is where it starts to get good. Looking forward to it!
5 May 2014: $4.59 on Kindle ~ still an excellent deal!
3 March 2014: $2.99 on Kindle

This is one of my top favorite series. I re-read it at least once a year - often even more than that - and I'm always sucked in, always so incredibly emotionally invested in the characters and what happens to them.

I think, one of the best things about this book (and indeed anything I've read by Patricia Briggs) is the balance she maintains. Mercy's not perfect. No one is. Everyone makes some mistakes, every
Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽
3.5 stars. A lot of different elements are being juggled in this first book of the Mercy Thompson urban fantasy series, and parts of the answer to the mystery seemed implausible to me, but I liked Mercy's voice and I'm intrigued enough with the world Briggs has created that I want to read more. It was a fun light read that didn't take a lot of concentration.

Review to come.
Urban Fantasy Afi...: November Group Read 9 20 Nov 24, 2015 08:55PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Moon Called *TAG SPOILERS* 43 303 Aug 30, 2015 08:34PM
how old are the characters ??? 3 58 Jun 28, 2015 06:36PM
Mercy 36 364 Jun 28, 2015 05:31PM
A Million More Pages: 1 - Moon Called (Mercy Thompson): May 7 47 21 Jun 12, 2015 11:47AM
Insomnia Book Club: Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs 133 9 Mar 26, 2015 11:09AM
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Mortal Danger (World of the Lupi, #2)
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye #4)
  • Curran, Vol. II: Fathers and Sons (Curran POV, #2)
  • Shift (Shifters, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a na
More about Patricia Briggs...

Mercy Thompson (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
  • Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9)
  • Untitled  (Mercy Thompson, #10)
  • Untitled  (Mercy Thompson, #11)

15 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“MS. THOMPSON, it said in heavy block letters, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FELINE OFF MY PROPERTY. IF I SEE IT AGAIN, I WILL EAT IT.” 1139 likes
“I don't like it when I outweigh my men.” 587 likes