Start by marking “Not Our War” as Want to Read:
Not Our War

Not Our War

Sanjiva Wijesinha's short stories - many of which have been awarded prizes in short story competitions - collected in an anthology for the first time.

Drawing on the knowledge and experience gained during his long and varied career as an army medical officer, a paediatric surgeon and a family physician who has worked in various parts of the world, Sanjiva Wijesinha has craf
Published December 12th 2013 by Vijitha Yapa Publications (first published December 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Not Our War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Our War

Carly
Nov 16, 2014 Carly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
FIRST I JUST HAVE TO SAY THAT I WAS SO LUCKY TO RECEIVE THIS BOOK FROM THE AUTHOR AND GOODREADS AS I HAD WON A GIVEAWAY. I AM ALSO SO APPRECIATIVE THAT THIS BOOK WAS SIGNED!

I TOOK TWO DAYS TO READ IT ALL. WHEN I LOOKED ON THE BACK, I SAW THAT THE AUTHOR WAS VERY EDUCATED AND THAT, ALONG WITH THE DESCRIPTION, MADE ME VERY EAGER TO GIVE IT A READ. THE AUTHOR IS ALSO A DOCTOR.

I LIKED THE STORIES THAT WERE IN THIS BOOK AND I THOUGHT THAT IT HAD BEEN WRITTEN EXTREMELY WELL AND PUT TOGETHER BRILLIANT
Sinhar
Oct 18, 2014 Sinhar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Wijesinha has dedicated this book to his friends and colleagues, soldiers as well as civilians, who lost their lives during Sri Lanka’s war years between 1983 and 2009.
He has developed all his stories from simple plots and all 13 stories in Not Our War are emotional. Once you read these stories you will feel that the characters are true to life. T
his is a fine collection of superb human interest stories. His style of writing is simple, lucid and readable. His compassion to his patients as a
Johann Reid
Jun 08, 2014 Johann Reid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that will be enjoyed not only by those who like to read good short stories (and there are some lovely short stories here) but also by those who cwant to know how individual human beings are affected by war.
This is a book which provides an appreciation and a sensitive portrayal of what men and women who are involved in war suffer.
This is a book that is dedicated to Dr Wijesinha's friends and colleagues – soldiers and civilians – who lost their lives during the quarter century whe
John
May 10, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book consists of stories that appear to be mostly personal accounts of the author's experiences in the Sri Lankan army while fighting the Tamil Tigers. This is a world that was new to me, and though not great literature, they are moving in their simplicity and honesty.
Sanjiv Anil
Sep 06, 2015 Sanjiv Anil rated it it was amazing
Some of the stories are set during the Sri Lankan war against the LTTE in which the author who was an army doctor was himself involved. Others are st during the Second World War and the Falklands war.
These are gripping yet sensitively written stories that convey a powerful message.
Hope O'Neil
Apr 21, 2015 Hope O'Neil rated it it was amazing
Sensitively written stories. Reminds us of what soldiers and their wives and parents have to go through during times of war - whether was during the Second World War or the more recent 25 year war in Sri lanka that only ended recently.
Julie
May 31, 2016 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of this book through goodreads first reads and was very impressed with the book. I enjoyed reading each one of the stories. Well written by a wonderful inspiring man.
R.s.de Saram
Jun 23, 2014 R.s.de Saram rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. Easy reading and excellent value
Sanjiva Wijesinha
Jan 09, 2014 Sanjiva Wijesinha rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Book Review by Rakhita Jayawardena

It was the famous American historian and author Barbara Tuchman who once said ‘Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill”.

Sanjiva Wijesinha’s new book Not Our War is not just a collection of short stories. Most of these stories are set against the backdrop of our nation’s recent years of war. As such, even though this is a work of fiction, it adds not only
Sanjiv Anil
Sanjiv Anil rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2015
Nur Al
Nur Al rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Sharlina Morseth
A beautifully written book portraying the stories of Sri Lankan military experiences.
Mary J.
Mary J. rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Ed Henry
Ed Henry marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Arthas Chu
Arthas Chu marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Anisha
Anisha marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Diane Heriot
Diane Heriot marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Debra Haverkamp
Debra Haverkamp marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Zoe Ohara
Zoe Ohara marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Phantom Phantom
Phantom Phantom marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Madmaxkiama
Madmaxkiama marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Noelene Leddy
Noelene Leddy marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Gemma Smith
Gemma Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Moira
Moira marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Santana
Santana marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Sharyn
Sharyn marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Mick Gillies
Mick Gillies marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Deb Harrison
Deb Harrison marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Lyndee
Lyndee marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Madeline Wright
Madeline Wright marked it as to-read
Tara Rowhani-farid
Tara Rowhani-farid marked it as to-read
Noelene
Noelene marked it as to-read
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2016
Stores from different theaters of war 1 1 Feb 07, 2015 03:12PM
Review of the book from my friend Mattias Aggeback 1 1 Jul 04, 2014 10:18AM
Dr. Sanjiva Wijesinha grew up in Sri lanka, where he graduated from the Colombo University medical school and then completed a research degree at Oxford University. He trained as a surgeon and worked as a paediatric surgeon in Sri Lanka and Hong Kong before migrating to Australia and re-training as a family physician.
For the past forty years he has been writing health and travel articles – initia
More about Sanjiva Wijesinha...