Start by marking “Weird Indiana: Your Travel Guide to Indiana's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets” as Want to Read:

Weird Indiana: Your Travel Guide to Indiana's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets (Weird Travel Guides)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Weird Indiana is here to prove that the Crossroads of America, as our state motto claims, is also the Crossroads of the Weird! There's such an abundance of weirdness here that it took three authors to showcase all the odd and offbeat wonders the Hoosier State has to offer. Our authors, Mark Marimen, Jim Willis, and Troy Taylor, set off with cameras and notepads in hand, in ...more
Published May 6th 2008 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Weird Indiana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weird Indiana

Shay
Sep 17, 2015 Shay rated it really liked it
I love things like this. There were many stories that I had never heard before. Some of them happened pretty close to where I grew up. A couple gave me chills. Very enjoyable read.
Anthony Ventrello
Jun 17, 2012 Anthony Ventrello rated it it was amazing
As a lifelong Hoosier, I knew that I had to grab this book and find out about Indiana's best kept secret places. I thought that I knew just about all there is to know about Indiana but I hadn't heard that half of it. This book is a great guide to some of Indiana's least traveled roads and I think that it would be great for a fourth grade class that is learning Indiana history to use as a supplement. Besides that, every Hoosier should read it, know matter the age.
Meredith
Jul 24, 2010 Meredith rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Weird Indiana is heavy on local legends and folklore and light on location information. Fans of Haunted Indiana, Volume 1, Haunted Indiana 2, Haunted Indiana 3, Haunted Indiana 4, Hoosier Hauntings, Haunted Hoosier Trails: A Guide to Indiana's Famous Folklore Spooky Sites, More Haunted Hoosier Trails, et al, etc, ad nauseam . . . should enjoy this book along with the cheesy photos accompanying each entry.

But this travel guide is not particularly useful for those desiring to actually travel the
Natalie
Nov 18, 2010 Natalie rated it liked it
My dog ate the corner and I had to buy the library a new copy of this book. Now I have the dog bitten one for my personal collection. My dog has done maybe three *really bad* things in his entire 2 year long life. This one was one of them . . . but the question is, Why? Why this book out of hundreds? Why just one corner? Should I give him the ex-library copy? I am guessing not! Illustrations are pretty amazing and really this is a coffee table book maybe for stoners who can read? and not a trave ...more
Cherie Musselman
Mar 04, 2014 Cherie Musselman rated it it was ok
I felt like this book was heavy on ghost stories and legend. I was looking for more unusual places to visit.
Julie
Sep 01, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot of interesting things about my home state that I can't believe I had never heard of. (The body of one of John Brown's sons, killed in the raid at Harper's Ferry, was kept in a closet of a doctor's home in Martinsville???) There weren't as many strange things as Tennessee, where I live now, but it was still enlightening. These books are addictive! I just ordered Weird Texas and the first volume of Weird U.S. I can't wait! =)
Greg Edwards
Mar 03, 2015 Greg Edwards rated it it was amazing
I found out about the state I was born and raised in. The great state of Indiana.
Edwina Hall Callan
Jan 16, 2014 Edwina Hall Callan rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book, 2009
What a fun way to learn some Hoosier History.
I liked it.
Glenn Johnson
Apr 28, 2011 Glenn Johnson rated it really liked it
A coffee table book, not the kind of thing you read from cover-to-cover, but just fun to pick up & read bits of it here & there. This has become our official present to give to all members of our family! Lots of weird Indiana trivia, some stuff I had heard of before, other stuff I had not.
Katy
Apr 27, 2011 Katy rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
About odd,interesting, and/or haunted places to visit in this state. Not gender bias, but has a reading and comprehension level of atleast 4th or 5th grade.
-geography
-history
-fact or fiction/legend?
ladywallingford
Sep 02, 2010 ladywallingford rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Some of the tidbits were interesting, others not so much. I wish that the authors had tested out more of the stories behind the local legends. That would have made for more interesting reading.
Mindy
Aug 26, 2008 Mindy added it
Easy to read. Lost of different and interesting stories that I was not aware of in our State!
Christa
Sep 19, 2009 Christa rated it liked it
After reading this book, I went and found the stone head...
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Casey (A Passion for Books)
Casey (A Passion for Books) is currently reading it
May 16, 2016
Kayla Newport
Kayla Newport marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Emily Duran
Emily Duran rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Sandra Borneman
Sandra Borneman is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2016
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Jennifer is currently reading it
Mar 03, 2016
Rhianon O'Halloran
Rhianon O'Halloran marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Brooke Centers
Brooke Centers marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
S Seegars
S Seegars rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Micheal Fearin
Micheal Fearin marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Amber Hallam
Amber Hallam rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Dana
Dana added it
Jan 08, 2016
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Weird Illinois
  • Weird Ohio
  • Weird Michigan
  • Weird N.J.: Your Travel Guide to New Jersey's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird Kentucky: Your Travel Guide to Kentucky's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird New York
  • Weird Texas: Your travel guide to Texas's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Chicago Haunts: Ghostly Lore of the Windy City
  • A Gothic Treasure Trove
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Su pernatural Locations
  • Haunted Ohio: Ghostly Tales from the Buckeye State (Buckeye Haunts)
  • Weird Virginia

Weird Travel Guides (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Weird U.S.: Your Travel Guide to America's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets (Weird Travel Guides)
  • Weird U.S. The ODDyssey Continues (Weird Travel Guides)
  • Weird U.S.: A Freaky Field Trip Through the 50 States
  • Weird Arizona: Your Travel Guide to Arizona's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird California
  • Weird Carolinas
  • Weird Colorado: Your Travel Guide to Colorado's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird Florida: Your Travel Guide to Florida's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird Georgia
  • Weird Hollywood: Your Travel Guide to Hollywood's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets