Start by marking “Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire” as Want to Read:
Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire

Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire (Uncanny X-Men)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,122 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Vulcan is out for revenge and has his sites set on the Shi'ar Empire! Get ready for the ride of your life!
Published February 13th 2008 by Marvel (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Uncanny X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncanny X-Men

Andrew
X-Men space opera. It may sound strange, but it was actually a rather large part of when Claremont turned X-Men into the beast it is today. And surprisingly I often like them. In this case, I liked the events and unfolding of the story. I think Brubaker just failed on properly motivating characters again. He just blazes through to the plot points.

He also could have used some time to step back and take stock of a few things. For example, I think the reader needed more time with Corsair to get his
David Church
I really enjoyed this X-Men storyline in space. It is nice to see a story arc without Wolverine being shoved down our throats. A nice focus on other non-top tier X-Men.
Federiken Masters
Jun 07, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Completistas
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano
Hasta ahora, lo más pedorro que leí de Brubaker, lejos. Sé que la intención era hacer una space-opera en la línea de las viejas historias claremontianas de los 80s, pero lo que logró fue aburrirme durante la mayoría del trayecto. Los dibujantes que se dividen el laburo no son malos pero tampoco le aportan mucha gracia que digamos. Y en cuánto a la expectativa de cómo se resolverá el conflicto real en el espacio, nunca la tuve, ya que sabía de antemano que a este tomo lo sucedía otro llamado "Emp ...more
Aildiin
Pretty good X-Men story with a strong space opera feeling.
Aaron
I had high hopes for this book. Brubaker's Deadly Genesis set the stage for the events here, and while Deadly Genesis was OK at best, I was excited to follow it up with a big, fun, ridiculous X-Men space odyssey. Turns out "ridiculous" was the only one of those three I got.

At its core, this book wants to be a Roman-style story of deception and regicide and political power shifts. However, it's also got this whole thing where people with superpowers are beating the hell out of each other, and it
Samantha
Jan 02, 2012 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: X-Men Fans
Whoa!!! That had to be one of the best adventures I've been on with the X-Men yet. I really liked the change of pace. As much as I love the classic characters, its refreshing to see the spotlight on some newer characters whose stories have yet to be told.

Polaris- I really liked her, her green-ness is so awesome. Her outfit, her hair....I am green with envy!!

Havoc- Never knew he existed, but I'm glad I do now. He is so super-charged!! I love that they kept responsibility as a factor. I guess th
Martin
Polaris, Havok, Nightcrawler, Rachel Summers, Warpath, Darwin, and a de-powered Professor X. This may not be the pick of the litter when it comes to assembling a team for 12 issues of outer-space shenanigans involving space pirates and an alien warrior race on the brink of civil war. In fact, you'd be forgiven to think that some of them would not be coming back, because you'd be right: Havok & Polaris actually choose to remain in space! But that's who Brubaker got to work with, and in spite ...more
Erik
In this second X-Men story-arc by Ed Brubaker, a crack-team of X-Men second-string players – namely Polaris, Warpath, Havok, and Marvel Girl – go in search of Cyclops and Havok’s long-lost brother. All while running into the Starjammers, whose leader is none other than the boys’ father Corsair, and even taking sides in a coup against the Shi’Ar Empress Lilandra, Professor X’s one-time paramour.

Due to the serious histrionics, I don’t know how much I can suspend my disbelief. Although Brubaker’s
Chris
As a kid, I would always try to read the X-Men and completely fail. I just couldn't find my way into the impenetrable continuity of the series, to say nothing of the intimidating number of X-Men comics that Marvel publishes. I know enough about the series' to kind of understand what's going on in any given issue, but I never eked any enjoyment out of an issue of Uncanny X-Men.

On top of that, those times that I would try and read X-Men, I would always get stuck sampling one of the series' many o
chase Adams
things that worked for brubaker:

xavier and x-men take off into space for a year, following vulcan after the events of deadly genesis.

-suddenly warpath is a full-fledged x-man. and his reasons for joining make perfect sense. he has been the most consistent character involved in the year and a half of brubaker so far. i'm still in shock over the whole thing, it's worked so well.

-heavy duty shi'ar intrigue. entire issues where not a single team member shows up....but vulcan, d'ken, the imperial gua
Homewood Public Library
Wow. Where to start? New characters with ties to old characters? Emotions running deep and rampant? The bonds and betrayal of family? Romantic entanglements? Political struggles on a galactic scale? Space pirates? Or how about a hero with really BIG sword? You’ll find all these things in this enjoyable graphic novel.

The book starts right after the events of X-men: Deadly Genesis, where we met Cyclops and Havok’s previously unknown brother, Vulcan. Unfortunately, for the X-men, Vulcan harbors a v
Brad
Vulcan, the long-lost Summers brother and X-Man, decides to get even with the Shi'ar. Professor X and the X-Men follow him into space, where all sorts of chaos ensues.
This book is a nice relief from the Decimation storyline which just made the X-Men powerless and depressed. Ed Brubaker clearly didn't get first pick of characters, with his space X-Men including Havok, Polaris, Nightcrawler, Warpath, Rachel Summers, and Darwin (like Vulcan, introduced by Brubaker in X-Men: Deadly Genesis). Vulcan
Eric Carter
Sean
The X-Men have had epic space adventures in their past, mostly during the Claremont/Byrne days. This venture into space by Ed Brubaker, Billy Tan, & Clayton Henry is a big step below but still a solid story. Too much however revolves around the charcater of Vulcan who I really don't like but almost any book with the Shi'ar and Starjammers pulls me in. The art at times wasn't up to par especially the design of a new charcater named Korvus who looked way way too much like Wolverine and his swo ...more
Timo
Brubaker is so much better in earth-bound crime stories than in these space operas.
But this wasn't all bad. Nice art and some high drama.
William Thomas
Largest problem with this book, as with most books these days is that all of the inks appear digital, or touched up by the computer, leaving no trace of the gorgeous pencils beneath. It makes the art look nothing more than competent. The paneling in this series of books is a saving grace, and the writing is stellar in compariosn to what the x-books were like around 99-01. I enjoyed the Darwin character most and it seems to me the appearance of Vulcan is nothing more than cheap writing strategy, ...more
Paul
Pure and simple, Ed Brubaker is one of my top comic writers, but in this book he's simply too hampered by continuity to really stretch his muscle. Also, Brubaker's a humanist, a writer who works best when he can concentrate on the emotional side of being a superhero, and in this book he's dealing with about seventy-four thousand different characters, meaning he has no time to really develop the personal themes he's so good at.

Was nice to see artwork from Clayton Henry, though, a genuinely nice
David
I used to love the X-Men, but I haven't read any of their in-continuity stories for while (i.e. Joss Whedon's book doesn't count). Ed Brubaker, however, is one of my favorite writers, and if anyone was going to get me to pick up an X-Men story again, it was bound to be someone like him, someone whose previous work doesn't necessarily point the way toward him writing an epic space opera X-Men story.

I doubt I'll start picking up the single issues of Ed's Uncanny X-Men, but I'll certainly be on han
Paul
what? an X-Men book without any sign of Wolverine? that alone gave it the extra 3rd star.

So, the X-Men decide to go all Star-Wars on us and they don`t even mix it up with the Guardian of the Galaxy (hey, I know it is a pretty big Galaxy, but that never stopped a good team-up from happening before).

Decent enough story, pretty epic-sized smash-ups. Decent enough art, just way to much dependence on computer-generated sh*t-uff.

Another giveaway book from Goodreads friend Martin - Thanks Martin
Dufour
Decent enough, I suppose. Ultimately forgettable, but I did like the spotlight on Havok, Polaris, and Rachel Summers. Problem with all of these characters though is that they pretty much get relegated to limbo status again for a bevy of other writers to play with if the whim suits them (I have no interest in Marvel's "War of Kings" nonsense). Pity that since Havok's such a great character.
Andrew Smith
Nerd fest!! Nothing is better than sending your beloved super heroes into space. Not to mention, this is a revenge story. The art had its issues, but fit the story perfectly. Also, Ed Brubaker seems to have a thing for mutant make outs. All in all -- space, aliens, fights, knives, swords, french kisses, butter!
J.
Second reading, February 2014.

I remember liking this volume quite a bit the first time, and I still enjoyed it the second time. This time, I'm surprised at how many love stories are going on in this volume. Brubaker must have been planning a wedding or something when he was writing this...
Lord
Honestly, after the awesomeness called "Deadly Genesis", I expected more from Brubaker and this book. It's not bad but nothing exceptional. Though it's kinda cool to see X-Men in space opera type adventure again, I thing I prefer more "earthly" stories..
Iori
i wanted to like this but for some reason i just couldnt really get into it . maybee its the fact thats its a space story ( never been a big fan of that in comics ) . the fact thats its end is just a set up for another book really didnt help much.
GREGADETH
Brubaker never disappoints. I was doubtful about this graphic novel because of the absence of some of the most important X-Men, BUT I was wrong, Brubaker did a great job with the new team Professor X brought together. It was a great read.
Jason
I don't keep up with X-Men continuity too well, but I was eventually able to get a sense of events despite the multiplicity of characters and complex backstory. That says a lot for the Brubaker, who is a favorite writer of mine anyway.
Shannon Appelcline
Overall, a superb X-Men story. It’s epic, it's not afraid to shift its viewpoint for full issues at a time, and it has real consequence. The artwork by Billy Tan is also top-rate. My opinion of it only increased with rereading.
Michael
I loved this narrative. This is probably one of my favorite X-Men narratives, and especially my favorite of the Shi'ar.

Great plotting and great use of characters. The ending is a little slight, but the journey is amazing.
Strawberry
I was quite surprised how much I liked the story, for I'm not really into all that space stuff. But it was really fun to read and I quickly got attached to the characters (most of them I didn't know much about).
Clay
Enjoyed it all except for the ending that didn't seem like an ending. It also broke my rule for multiple artist on a story but I liked them both and it wasn't an obvious break from one to the other.
  • X-Men: X-Cutioner's Song
  • X-Factor: The Longest Night
  • X-Men: Phoenix - Endsong
  • X-Force, Vol. 1: Angels And Demons
  • House of M: World of M, Featuring Wolverine
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central, Sleeper, Uncanny X-Men and X-Men: Deadly Genesis, and The Authority, and for helping
More about Ed Brubaker...
Batman: The Man Who Laughs Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward Messiah Complex Captain America: Winter Soldier, Vol. 1 Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Vol. 1: The Death of the Dream