Start by marking “Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire” as Want to Read:
Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire

Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire (Uncanny X-Men, Volume I Rise and Fall Shi'ar)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,520 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Vulcan is out for revenge and has his sites set on the Shi'ar Empire! Get ready for the ride of your life!
Published February 13th 2008 by Marvel (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Uncanny X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncanny X-Men

Anne
Nov 12, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mutants in space. What's not to love?
Aaron
Oct 02, 2011 Aaron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book. Brubaker's Deadly Genesis set the stage for the events here, and while Deadly Genesis was OK at best, I was excited to follow it up with a big, fun, ridiculous X-Men space odyssey. Turns out "ridiculous" was the only one of those three I got.

At its core, this book wants to be a Roman-style story of deception and regicide and political power shifts. However, it's also got this whole thing where people with superpowers are beating the hell out of each other, and it
David Church
Apr 16, 2014 David Church rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this X-Men storyline in space. It is nice to see a story arc without Wolverine being shoved down our throats. A nice focus on other non-top tier X-Men.
Aildiin
Dec 22, 2013 Aildiin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Pretty good X-Men story with a strong space opera feeling.
Cristhian
Feb 07, 2017 Cristhian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¿Cómo llegó Vulcan a convertirse emperador del vasto imperio Shi'ar?
Con conceptos tontos y personajes unidimensionales presentados por Brubaker sin duda alguna.

Fuera de esto, es un inicio decente-bueno a la odisea en el espacio de los xmen que traerá múltiples consecuencias una vez que llegue a su parte final: War of Kings.

El arte... Eh.

3.7/5
Chris
Jul 03, 2008 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphicnovels
As a kid, I would always try to read the X-Men and completely fail. I just couldn't find my way into the impenetrable continuity of the series, to say nothing of the intimidating number of X-Men comics that Marvel publishes. I know enough about the series' to kind of understand what's going on in any given issue, but I never eked any enjoyment out of an issue of Uncanny X-Men.

On top of that, those times that I would try and read X-Men, I would always get stuck sampling one of the series' many o
Andrew
Jan 29, 2009 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yes-i-m-a-geek
X-Men space opera. It may sound strange, but it was actually a rather large part of when Claremont turned X-Men into the beast it is today. And surprisingly I often like them. In this case, I liked the events and unfolding of the story. I think Brubaker just failed on properly motivating characters again. He just blazes through to the plot points.

He also could have used some time to step back and take stock of a few things. For example, I think the reader needed more time with Corsair to get his
Feather Mista
Jun 07, 2012 Feather Mista rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Completistas
Recommended to Feather by: Que estaba a mano
Hasta ahora, lo más pedorro que leí de Brubaker, lejos. Sé que la intención era hacer una space-opera en la línea de las viejas historias claremontianas de los 80s, pero lo que logró fue aburrirme durante la mayoría del trayecto. Los dibujantes que se dividen el laburo no son malos pero tampoco le aportan mucha gracia que digamos. Y en cuánto a la expectativa de cómo se resolverá el conflicto real en el espacio, nunca la tuve, ya que sabía de antemano que a este tomo lo sucedía otro llamado "Emp ...more
William Thomas
Mar 22, 2010 William Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Largest problem with this book, as with most books these days is that all of the inks appear digital, or touched up by the computer, leaving no trace of the gorgeous pencils beneath. It makes the art look nothing more than competent. The paneling in this series of books is a saving grace, and the writing is stellar in compariosn to what the x-books were like around 99-01. I enjoyed the Darwin character most and it seems to me the appearance of Vulcan is nothing more than cheap writing strategy, ...more
Paul
Feb 15, 2008 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pure and simple, Ed Brubaker is one of my top comic writers, but in this book he's simply too hampered by continuity to really stretch his muscle. Also, Brubaker's a humanist, a writer who works best when he can concentrate on the emotional side of being a superhero, and in this book he's dealing with about seventy-four thousand different characters, meaning he has no time to really develop the personal themes he's so good at.

Was nice to see artwork from Clayton Henry, though, a genuinely nice
Hannah Givens
Good-quality X-Men/sci-fi hijinks. It's a full story, although it clearly builds on past events and leads into others... The plot itself contains all the information you need. For the characters, I was generally familiar with the major players, and that was enough. So, generally pretty good, and a quick read for its size. The main problem is that even though the plot is simple, it feels a little cluttered with characters and we don't really get an emotional arc for any of them.
Sud666
Aug 23, 2015 Sud666 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
What can I say? great Artwork and a wonderful story by Brubaker. even if you are not familiar with the Shi'ar Empire and their links to the X-Men this one is a great TPB to read. I am glad I took the time.
Addison
Oct 26, 2016 Addison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty stellar X-Men story. It was nice to see some of the characters you don't see in the standard X-Men stories.
Paul
This is a pretty good X-Men-in-space tale by Ed Brubaker. While it's not his best work by a country mile, it kept me entertained for twelve issues. Actually, my main criticism of the story is that I felt it could have been told more succinctly in eight issues; maybe even six.

The downside for me is Billy Tan's artwork. He's a classic case of all style and no substance; he's got absolutely no grasp of basic human anatomy. I mean, look at the arms on virtually any of his figures... No clue how the
Patrick
Jan 19, 2017 Patrick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
X-Men in space is always nice. Vulcan was more tolerable. His star travails felt very DC-ish. Not a huge fan of the art. it felt very 90s, not in body proportions, but just very busy and lots of lines.
Hrishi
Feb 17, 2015 Hrishi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book in almost one sitting today - read the first 11 issues in the morning and the last issue in the evening. Following hot on the heels of my read of X-Men: Deadly Genesis once again I was surprised how much I enjoyed reading it! The story is well told and the artwork has its moments. This is again part of my overall Marvel 616 read-through from Avengers Disassembled all the way to Age of Ultron.

The tale unfolds in two threads - one shows Professor X gathering a team (Alex Summe
Rafael Elias
Rafael Elias rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2016
Samantha
Jan 02, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: X-Men Fans
Whoa!!! That had to be one of the best adventures I've been on with the X-Men yet. I really liked the change of pace. As much as I love the classic characters, its refreshing to see the spotlight on some newer characters whose stories have yet to be told.

Polaris- I really liked her, her green-ness is so awesome. Her outfit, her hair....I am green with envy!!

Havoc- Never knew he existed, but I'm glad I do now. He is so super-charged!! I love that they kept responsibility as a factor. I guess th
Homewood Public Library
Wow. Where to start? New characters with ties to old characters? Emotions running deep and rampant? The bonds and betrayal of family? Romantic entanglements? Political struggles on a galactic scale? Space pirates? Or how about a hero with really BIG sword? You’ll find all these things in this enjoyable graphic novel.

The book starts right after the events of X-men: Deadly Genesis, where we met Cyclops and Havok’s previously unknown brother, Vulcan. Unfortunately, for the X-men, Vulcan harbors a v
Michael Church
Mar 25, 2015 Michael Church rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
This is a book that I had passed over for a while. When I started reading Uncanny X-Men a couple of years ago, it was a few issues after this, so I was always curious what I had missed. It turns out this actually answered a bunch of questions, like why Hepzibah was on earth, why Havok and Polaris were in space, and a ton of other stuff. Of course, it's just as easy to find all of that information online.

The story is...forced. Brubaker's choice of teams is interesting with a mix of well known an
Erik
Jun 29, 2008 Erik rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In this second X-Men story-arc by Ed Brubaker, a crack-team of X-Men second-string players – namely Polaris, Warpath, Havok, and Marvel Girl – go in search of Cyclops and Havok’s long-lost brother. All while running into the Starjammers, whose leader is none other than the boys’ father Corsair, and even taking sides in a coup against the Shi’Ar Empress Lilandra, Professor X’s one-time paramour.

Due to the serious histrionics, I don’t know how much I can suspend my disbelief. Although Brubaker’s
Trike
Aug 11, 2015 Trike rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are lots of reviews out there to give you detailed reasons why this book is not great, so I won't go to great lengths about it.

Suffice it to say this is a throwback to the space opera X-Men of yore, but unfortunately to all the worst aspects of it. It's clunky, stupidly exposition-heavy and the characters are thinner than the paper they're drawn on.

What's especially weird is that Brubaker over-explains so many tiny things but leaves large story items and background information completely u
chase Adams
Sep 08, 2007 chase Adams rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
things that worked for brubaker:

xavier and x-men take off into space for a year, following vulcan after the events of deadly genesis.

-suddenly warpath is a full-fledged x-man. and his reasons for joining make perfect sense. he has been the most consistent character involved in the year and a half of brubaker so far. i'm still in shock over the whole thing, it's worked so well.

-heavy duty shi'ar intrigue. entire issues where not a single team member shows up....but vulcan, d'ken, the imperial gua
Will Robinson Jr.
Feb 26, 2015 Will Robinson Jr. rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A marvel space-opera starring the X-men. I really enjoyed this collection of the Ed Brubaker X-men story arc "The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire". This is a lot action in this book but there is also a lot of the swashbuckling romance one would find in a sci-fi space tale. Most might find this story a bit hard to jump into unless you read the Deadly Genesis arc before. That arc sort of sets up this big X-men event. The artwork is handled by the current Green Lantern series artist Billy Tan. A ...more
Martin
Polaris, Havok, Nightcrawler, Rachel Summers, Warpath, Darwin, and a de-powered Professor X. This may not be the pick of the litter when it comes to assembling a team for 12 issues of outer-space shenanigans involving space pirates and an alien warrior race on the brink of civil war. In fact, you'd be forgiven to think that some of them would not be coming back, because you'd be right: Havok & Polaris actually choose to remain in space! But that's who Brubaker got to work with, and in spite ...more
Jeff Harris
Jul 06, 2015 Jeff Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x-men, graphic-novels
Continuing some of the plotlines that were originally established during the X-Men: Deadly Genesis mini-series, Ed Brubaker's first run on Uncanny X-Men (penciled by the excellently talented Billy Tan) features Professor Xavier forming an eclectic team of classic and newer X-Men to travel into the Shi'Ar Empire, hot on the heels of "the third Summers brother," Vulcan, who is bound and determined to get revenge for his mother's death. Polaris, Havok, Nightcrawler, Rachel Grey (in her newer guise ...more
Brad
Oct 13, 2007 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel, x-men
Vulcan, the long-lost Summers brother and X-Man, decides to get even with the Shi'ar. Professor X and the X-Men follow him into space, where all sorts of chaos ensues.
This book is a nice relief from the Decimation storyline which just made the X-Men powerless and depressed. Ed Brubaker clearly didn't get first pick of characters, with his space X-Men including Havok, Polaris, Nightcrawler, Warpath, Rachel Summers, and Darwin (like Vulcan, introduced by Brubaker in X-Men: Deadly Genesis). Vulcan
Sean
Dec 26, 2012 Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The X-Men have had epic space adventures in their past, mostly during the Claremont/Byrne days. This venture into space by Ed Brubaker, Billy Tan, & Clayton Henry is a big step below but still a solid story. Too much however revolves around the charcater of Vulcan who I really don't like but almost any book with the Shi'ar and Starjammers pulls me in. The art at times wasn't up to par especially the design of a new charcater named Korvus who looked way way too much like Wolverine and his swo ...more
One Flew
Aug 24, 2016 One Flew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, a lot of stuff happens in this book, some people would say too much, I would say too much. I appreciate the fact that Brubaker managed to draw on decades worth of x-men lore to tell this story, the story just happens to be terrible. Vulcan, the baddie of this series, has motivations that make no sense what so ever. The x-men spend weeks on a space ship and never change out of their stupid outfits. Xavier can walk again for some reason, there is some guy with a giant glowing sword, there is ...more
David
Jan 31, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to love the X-Men, but I haven't read any of their in-continuity stories for while (i.e. Joss Whedon's book doesn't count). Ed Brubaker, however, is one of my favorite writers, and if anyone was going to get me to pick up an X-Men story again, it was bound to be someone like him, someone whose previous work doesn't necessarily point the way toward him writing an epic space opera X-Men story.

I doubt I'll start picking up the single issues of Ed's Uncanny X-Men, but I'll certainly be on han
  • Uncanny X-Men: Lovelorn
  • X-Men: The Day After
  • Decimation: Son of M
  • X-Factor, Vol. 1: The Longest Night
  • X-Men: Onslaught - The Complete Epic, Book 1
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central, Sleeper, Uncanny X-Men and X-Men: Deadly Genesis, and The Authority, and for helping
More about Ed Brubaker...

Uncanny X-Men, Volume I (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 1