Start by marking “The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)

The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden #4)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,503 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Trixie and Diana Lynch were friends for years before Di’s family became fabulously rich. So when Di’s long-lost uncle starts ruining her social life, Di turns to her old friend for help. But Trixie thinks Uncle Monty isn’t just an annoying relative–she thinks he’s an impostor!

From the Hardcover edition.

Paperback, Golden Press Oval Edition, 236 pages
Published July 28th 1977 by Western Publishing Company (first published 1954)

Jen
I recently brought home an old box of books my mom had been storing in her basement, so I'm working my way through some childhood treasures, including 4 Trixie Beldens. I'm not sure what happened to the other 20-some volumes, because when I was about 9 or 10, I had the entire set. A comment on another online forum made me wonder - would they hold their charm? Could the adult me experience whatever it was I loved so much then, 30 years later?

Of the four books I have re-read for review, this one h
Leah Good
Yes, I know I'm too old for these books, but I still love them anyway. According to the Goodreads rating system, three stars means "I like it," and I do. The story was simple, but perfect for a quick, light read. I love that this series is much better written than many children's series and doesn't have any dating clogging up the story. Just good, clean cut adventure.
Hannah
Jun 16, 2009 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-favs
Trixie Belden stands the test of time. I wore out my sister's copies as a young girl, and re-read this one for old times sake.

Trixie still manages to charm me after almost 40 years. She's more down to earth then Nancy Drew, and isn't the Mary Sue that Nancy seems to be.

Flaws and all, Trixie is a delight.
Benna
Nov 07, 2010 Benna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J.L. Day
May 03, 2015 J.L. Day rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a HUGE and most dedicated fan of Trixie and her crew. This is odd, of course, because they were MEANT for teen and pre-teen girls, but I was a young boy that read everything he could get his hands on and when I first stumbled on my first TRIXIE BELDON book I was instantly hooked!

I immediately sat about reading them all, as quickly as I could get my greedy little paws on them. Trixie is the star, or "lead" character, followed by Jim and Honey (who quickly became the love of my young life, I had
Joy Gerbode
Good again ... I always enjoy this one.

August 2013 ... another re-read, and another enjoyment. I think this was the first Trixie Belden book I read as a kid, although not the first in the series. Brings back many good memories.
Diane
Apr 30, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-ya
Strangely, this no. 4 in the series was my introduction to all that is Trixie Belden. I was enchanted! I loved how spirited she is, how close-knit and loving, her family is, yet she and her brothers bicker all the time, just like me and mine do. That she hung out and played with the "neighborhood" kids and all over the area where she lived, made her feel like she could've been one of my own friends. And what a cool friend she would've been. I wanted to have red hair like hers, but violet eyes, l ...more
Erin
Feb 04, 2009 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My second-favorite Trixie (after MYSTERIOUS CODE) - I love the Halloween party and the dress shopping!
Randee
Between the ages of 9-11, Trixie Belden was my preferred reading. I think I only was able to find and read 5-6 of the books to read but I clearly remember liking her better than Nancy Drew and whatever else I was reading at the time. I've always meant to go back and try and find the books in the series and see if my adult self still liked her and prompt my memory. My library has 12 or so in the series and the first 3 were checked out so I started with this one. I don't think it matters in which ...more
Debbie Stahmann
I liked this series too. I'm surprised there aren't more of the Trixie Beldon books on Good Reads.
Jennifer Heise
Jul 21, 2015 Jennifer Heise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. Not even for nostalgia sake could I like this. The only thing that I enjoyed was Miss Trask getting to the bottom of Diana's angst over being a poor little rich girl, even if it made no sense. Trixie's brother Mart is at his supercilious best here, and unfortunately shows Trixie up as having no sense at all. Most people in this story have no sense at all: Di's 'uncle' should have been too suspicious for words from the get-go, even in the 1950s. Admittedly, you can see that the author carefu ...more
Miri
Apr 08, 2014 Miri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
A vast improvement over the third book. Trixie and Honey's classmate Diana is miserable and they want to find out why. After learning she's miserable not only because she's rich, but because her mother's long lost brother has shown up out of the blue and is making it impossible for her to make friends, Trixie is certain the man is an impostor!

One thing I love about these old books are the illustrations. I don't know why newer books don't have any pictures. I look forwards to seeing the pictures
Kelly Ferguson
Jun 19, 2012 Kelly Ferguson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-classics
In the era of Death Eaters and Reapings, a main character who exclaims "Geepers" in all sincerity, and scandalizes the neighborhood by wearing "dungarees" to dinner is a welcome treat.

As a kid, I'd never been a huge fan of the teenage sleuthers, and I don't know that I'll seek any more of the series out. But as a decompress from the critical articles of grad school, this book was nice treat. Oh, gosh! What will happen to the CLUBHOUSE?!? I have to admit, I was more interested in this book as an
April Brown
Dec 19, 2012 April Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world - pre internet, computers, air conditioning, and cell phones.

Written approximately? – 1948.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of the story
Dawn Michelle
[ALL the books I owned as a child/teen were paperback, save one. The Mystery in Arizona, which was the FIRST TB book I was ever given. The NEW reviews show the books I now own thanks to a VERY generous friend and benefactor].

"We meet Diana Lynch, schoolmate of Trixie and the gang. Once, she was just a regular middle class girl, but her family is newly rich and she's having trouble adjusting to the changes. Trixie and Honey befriend Di and before you know it a mystery unfolds. Di's Uncle Monty ha
Constance
This was one of my favorites growing up, largely because Trixie uses genetics to solve a mystery. Character development for the main characters is pretty decent, Trixie's brother Mart gets to play a good part, and the exciting ending brought back memories.

As usual, the "crooks" are pretty one-dimensional and honestly pretty ridiculous, a product of being aimed at kids in a simpler time, when baddies were bad, and forming a gang involved bobby socks and picking the curtains for your clubhouse.
Naomi
May 11, 2014 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Christmas, my parents grabbed me the entire Trixie Belden set and I couldn't put them down. Even with a learning disability, I devoured the books. I look back now and I find that Trixie Belden was much more age related to young girls, particularly to me, reading the books than Nancy Drew. I found that they weren't so "over the top" either. I will be doing the same thing with my granddaughters if and when I have them, even if I have to stalk every used bookstore.
Mark Baker
Mar 13, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bob-Whites grow in number as they add neighbor Diana Lynch to the mix. She's unhappy because of her uncle. He's just shown up after being missing for years, and Diana is sure something is off. Could he be an impostor? A good mystery and the characters are still at their best. Another great read in a series I love.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Lorraine
Mar 04, 2012 Lorraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trixie and Honey are back at school, and notice that Trixie's old friend, Diana Lynch, is unhappy. Honey invites her to spend the weekend at the Manor House and learn that Di is really unhappy now that her mother brother, Monty Walker, has come to live with them. Di's father became a millionaire in the last year and the family moved into a huge house with a butler and servants, and just a week ago Monty appeared saying he was Mrs. Lynch's long lost older brother from Arizona where he's worked as ...more
Julie B
Interesting how much more adventure is in these older books I've been reading with M! Current books all seem very realistic (and sort of boring) compared to these. In this series, the kids get kidnapped & tied up, bitten by snakes (and then Trixie saves him by sucking the venom out of the bite!), thrown from a horse, chased by an evil step-father, question bad guys on skid row... Lots of action!
Bobbi Rightmyer
Apr 16, 2010 Bobbi Rightmyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and Young Adults
Recommended to Bobbi by: My own childhood book
In this book, we get to meet a classmate of Trixie and the Bob Whites', Diana "Di" Lynch. Di started out as a regular girl next door, just like Trixie, but her family has recently become wealthy, and she is having trouble adjusting to changes in her life.

True to form, Trixie and Honey befriend Di and before you know it another mystery unfolds. Di's Uncle Monty (her mother's brother) has reappeared after years of living in Arizona. Suspicious Trixie thinks he's a big fake and can't help wondering
Karsyn
Jan 18, 2016 Karsyn rated it liked it
Shelves: nbrc-tt4-anubis
A good one, not one of my favorites, but still enjoyable. Love the scene near the end where they try to get Spider's attention.
Stacy
Fourth book in the Trixie Belden series and so far my least favorite. This book introduces Diana Lynch as an old friend of Trixie's who is having a problem with a man who claims to be her uncle making her life miserable. Diana was the main reason I didn't like this book as much as she came across as quite the hysterical, irrational girl which made it confusing as to why anybody actually liked her. The adults this time around seemed to be particularly dense. On the positive side, it was fun to se ...more
Y
Sumarah
its a good book i am actually writing a book report on it
Jane Eyre
May 10, 2015 Jane Eyre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read them all when young! Loved them all!
Cruse
Very similar to Nancy Drew.
Govhini Sumathi
Sep 06, 2014 Govhini Sumathi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deserves 5 stars
Ursula
10YO loves.
Greta
Mar 25, 2012 Greta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-fiction
I have had this book in my possession for over 35 years and finally decided to read it. Trixie Belden is like a younger and less sophisticated version of Nancy Drew solving mysteries in the sort of Scooby-Doo fashion (meddling kids uncover imposters trying to steal the loot). The story was enjoyable but simple and predictable. I liked the retro illustrations and the dated characters and limited action.
  • The Mystery on Cobbett's Island

Julie Campbell was born on the 1st of June 1908 in Flushing, New York and shares the same birthday as her character, Mart Belden. As the daughter of an Army Officer, she travelled widely during her childhood and, at the age of eight, won her first short story contest while living in Hawaii.

Campbell married Char
More about Julie Campbell...

Trixie Belden (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)
  • The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden, #10)
  • The Mystery at Bob-White Cave (Trixie Belden #11)