Start by marking “Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Families in Crisis” as Want to Read:
Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Families in Crisis

Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Families in Crisis

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  23 reviews
What makes marriages fail? James Dobson, a noted commentator on family health, identifies mutual disrespect as the underlying cause. His book addresses this problem.

Dobson examines the conflicts occurring between husbands and wives -- infidelity, alcoholism, emotional indifference -- and offers practical advice for the partner who wants to hold the marriage together.

"Wha

Published November 1st 1983 by W Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Love Must Be Tough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Must Be Tough

Carolyn F.
This book saved my marriage (well and the tapes to the radio program where he talked about this book too). Things you must not do: 1) Cry and ask what you can do to stop them from leaving, messing around, ignoring you. Stay strong. You can cry when you're alone, but do not cry in front of your spouse! 2) Do not make them stay, make them leave. Do not try to live in the same house. It won't work. You'll just be miserable and their life won't have changed at all. 3) Do not yell and scream. Another ...more
Steve
If I could give this more than 5 stars I would.

I hear people misuse the phrase "tough love" to apply to being mean spirited. That's not what this is about. It's about not loosing your dignity and individuality in the name of love for another person. It is very disappointing when your spouse makes choices to follow their own selfish, self-centered pleasures and desires, and disregards any respect for you and the virtues of a loving relationship. Appeasement is not the answer, but unfortunately i
Geokowgurl
WOW!! What a great book!! I wish I could give it a 10 star rating! This is a must read for all people in a marriage or getting ready to start a marriage, preferably BEFORE they need it! I hadn't ever heard of this book until I was in dire need of it and a friend recommended it to me. I started reading Chapter 1 on the internet and was SO comforted by it, I bought it. I have now read it twice and have gained something new both times. To everyone out there struggling with infidelity in a marriage ...more
Leslie
excellent advise to the weaker partner in a failing relationship
Jeff Williams
Ever been dumped? Ever been through a divorce, or know someone who can't seem to get over one? Read this book or give it to that person. By far, the best book for the hurting ex-wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend. It gives you the tools to move on with your life and be even better than you ever thought you were. Dr. Dobson, you knocked it out of the park, sir.
Kevin Sartain
When you must truly be tough because you truly love, this book will help you stand strong. Surprisingly raw from Dobson.
Laurie
VERY interesting book that teaches a lot about human nature.
Julie
I read it to help me understand what a friend was going through. I was totally depressed the whole time I read it and have decided that all my friends MUST stay happily married...for my sake.

Helene
Dr. Dobson provides helpful insight regarding the internal struggle of both victims and offenders in cases of infidelity. I don't agree with all that he recommends, but his advice is undoubtedly rooted in a high value of family. I do agree that love must be tough sometimes. He focuses more on what is statistically true of relationships and marriages in America and less on what is Scripturally true about marriage and family. He missed the mark on the foundation of a good marriage, which is surpri ...more
Javier Suarez
Been tough it doesn't mean to be mean, in this book is teaching us that being tough is to be kind and in every trial we going through.
Donny
A good book on relationship, especially on family. The focus of the book is on the dealings with infidelity in the marriage, and also some practical advices on other marriage matters.

The advices in the book are quite practical, and truly logical. It's a good reference for all married couples, and definitely a must-read for troubled couples. For singles, some practical advices are given as well to make yourself 'marketable'.
Amy
This is an awesome book and although my situation was a bit different, since my husband battles sexual addiction, many of the things he mentioned in his book were of great use to me! The thing is you must apply them in order for them to be effective and it could be a bit scary at first but man was it empowering! Two thumbs up for Dr. Dobson!!!
Lisa Hall
Good book with some unexpected insights from the author. Not just party line "Divorce is evil" claptrap. Gives some good advice about dealing with an adulterous spouse, geared to helping the "victim" find dignity, resolution and closure. I wish he had expanded the concepts further than the confines of adultery, however.
Brittany
Quite a bit too christian based for my liking, but had some good concepts.
Debbie Duran
Great practical advice for a difficult period in my life. Very encouraging.
Darlene
this was one good book and i only wish i had listened to it better
L.t. Kodzo
Absolute must read for anyone in any relationship ever
Rick
good stuff, but just didn't scratch where I itched.
Kathy
helpful... a must read and not just when you are in need
Read1000books
In a word, if you are a parent, read Dr. Dobson.
Karla
An excellent source on practicing "tough love"
Sharmaine Suarez
It can help for those family who are messy.
Cws
Dec 18, 2008 Cws added it
646.78 Dob
aly
aly marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Carol Fairman
Carol Fairman marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Jam
Jam marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Isabe
Isabe added it
Mar 04, 2015
  • The Language of Love: How to Quickly Communicate Your Feelings and Needs
  • Beyond Our Selves
  • A More Excellent Way: Be in Health: Pathways of Wholeness, Spiritual Roots of Disease
  • Thyroid Power: Ten Steps to Total Health
  • The Anger Workbook
  • His Brain, Her Brain: How Divinely Designed Differences Can Strengthen Your Marriage
  • Prodigals and Those Who Love Them
  • Love Is a Choice: The Definitive Book on Letting Go of Unhealthy Relationships
  • Love Life for Every Married Couple: How to Fall in Love, Stay in Love, Rekindle Your Love
  • Tired of Trying to Measure Up
  • Grow Younger, Live Longer: Ten Steps to Reverse Aging
  • Woman Power: Transform Your Man, Your Marriage, Your Life
  • Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It
  • Hiding from Love: How to Change the Withdrawal Patterns That Isolate and Imprison You
  • Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled?: A 3-Step Program to: Beat Hormone Havoc, Restore Thyroid, Adrenal, and Reproductive Balance, and Feel Better Fast!
  • A Religion of One's Own: A Guide to Creating a Personal Spirituality in a Secular World
  • One Minute After You Die: A Preview of Your Final Destination
  • How to Really Love Your Child
James C. Dobson is a psychologist, commentator, and writer. He is the founder of Focus on the Family, a group advocating what he views as Christian ethics and political conservatism, and hosts a radio program of the same name.
More about James C. Dobson...
Bringing Up Boys The New Strong-Willed Child The New Dare to Discipline Bringing Up Girls: Practical Advice And Encouragement For Those Shaping The Next Generation Of Women When God Doesn't Make Sense