Charlie Bone and the Beast (The Children of the Red King, Book 6)

Charlie Bone and the Beast (The Children of the Red King #6)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  11,600 ratings  ·  215 reviews
The sixth magical adventure in the NY TIMES bestselling CHARLIE BONE series!

Format: 6 CDs, Unabridged

Life should be perfect for Charlie now that his parents have been reunited. But mystery and adventure always find him. This time Asa, a fellow classmate who changes into a beast at dusk and Charlie's sometime enemy, is missing. His parents seek out Charlie for help, and now
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published May 1st 2008 by Scholastic Audio Books (first published June 1st 2007)

Sonia Gomes
Asa disappears after he aligns himself with Charlie Bone which gets Manfred Bloor badly injured......
Doris
Good because it finally resolved the mystery of Asa. Bad because it again felt as if it was written with one eye on the clock.

It is still an excellent book to read with the younger set, or to use to encourage them to read.

The senior Bones are back together, and have gone off to have a second honeymoon. How anyone intelligent would run off and leave their son with a grandmother that hates him, and enrolled in a school where he is is disliked, is something I have trouble fathoming. Although Char...more
Mary
Scarletstories
As far as sequels go, this one wasn't bad. It continued in the tradition of the other Charlie Bone books. It was nice to see more of Asa Pike and his family, as the family interactions within the Bone-Yewbeam household have become a bit repetitive. The fact that his mother and father were also werebeings was cool, though I was disappointed not to be able to see a reunion between the mother and son.
One of my continuous problems with the series is the Browns. Benjamin and Charlie's relationship se...more
Samantha
What I liked:
-Dagbert. I thought he was a fascinating character, and I loved the ill effects his power had. Having to carry around those little golden sea creatures forever can’t be easy. Even though I knew that he was going to be evil when he showed up with Lord Grimwald, I honestly thought he was just trying to fit in, that he was just looking for a friend. I think he really wanted to be Charlie’s friend, and he maybe didn’t understand why Charlie got angry with him.
-Plot. Unlike the previous...more
Annie
Jerm
These books should come with a warning that says “Better When Listened To.” I read the first five because they are really quick reads, but I always felt that they were a shallow knock-off of the Harry Potter series, but I should’ve been listening to them, because it makes them much better. The performer who reads them does a fabulous job and brings the characters to life, even if there dialog doesn’t always do the job. So…not bad.
Lindsay
This was my favorite of all 7 that are out (hopefully the 8th will be amazing)! Asa finally turns around and realizes that Manfred Bloors way is not the way to go. My favorite part was when the children gathered around the Red Kings tree and Asa joined them. If I had to recommend any or the Charlie bone books, this would be the one to read but YOU HAVE TO READ ALL OF THE OTHER ONES FIRST!!!!!!!!
Melinda
Pam
This is the 6th book in the Charlie Bone series. This is a great series for younger Harry Potter fans to read. It is not as complex a world as the one JK Rowling creates, but it is certainly interesting. Readers do need to pay close attention to the characters and keep track of past events to be able to follow the story. The author helps by including family trees and lists descriptions of the main characters. I think this was one of the better stories in the series. The 7th book is currently ava...more
Deborah Andreasen
I have enjoyed reading the Charlie Bone series, but it hasn't been my favorite. The concept is fantastic. An ancient king has 10 children, each endowed with a special power. 5 turn evil, 5 remain good. The modern day descendants of the Red King fight the same good vs. evil battle.

In Charlie Bone and the Beast, Charlie and his friends are still fighting the Bloors and the Yewbeams. Asa, who used to be Manfred Bloor's right hand man...or beast, has gone missing. A bizarre Wilderness Wolf is heard...more
Jaemi
Having just recovered his father from a years-long enchantment, Charlie is on his own again—his parents have gone off for a second honeymoon. But there’s plenty to look forward to. Once they’re back, the family will be moving into its old home. Which, as Charlie and Uncle Paton find out while visiting, has been recently vandalized. By something not quite human, if the glimpse Charlie gets of two figures scurrying away is right.

At school, things aren’t going so well either. The appearance of a bo...more
Meredith
Once again Charlie Bone and his friends battle the forces of the evil Bloor family and their cohorts. This time they must rescue the beast boy Asa Pike.

New evil Children of the Red King: Dagbert "the Drowner" Endless whose endowment is the ability to control the ocean, and tides -- a power he uses to drown people -- and Eric Shellhorn whose endowment is the ability to animate stone figures and over whom Charlie's evil great-aunt Venetia gained control by murdering his mother with a cursed neckla...more
Darla
(Genre: Children's fiction/fantasy) The Charlie Bone series is about a group of children in England that are "endowed" with special powers (descendants of the Red King) and go to a special boarding school so that the headmaster and his family who run the school (the Bloors) can keep tabs on them. There are also normal children who show special abilities in music, art, or drama that attend school with the endowed. Some of the children choose to use their abilities for good (i.e. Charlie and his f...more
Ivy
I give this book a three and a half star rating because not as much was happening in this story as in the previous books.

Charlie is, once again, back at Bloors Academy. His parents, newly reunited after 10 years of separation due to his father's incarceration at Bloors Academy, are off for a second honeymoon leaving Charlie alone with his awful Grandma Bone. Charlie has to welcome yet another endowed new student to the academy and is given the task of watching over him. This new student is calle...more
Cana Rensberger
In Ms. Nimmo’s sixth book in the Charlie Bone series, a kettle of trouble is brewing. Charlie Bone and his friends once again lead the reader on a breath-taking adventure through the world of Bloor’s academy.

Charlie is appointed official monitor to a new student who can control water. Charlie is not thrilled to have Dagbert following him everywhere. It soon becomes clear that Dagbert is doing everything he can to split up Charlie and his friends. Especially when strange things begin happening...more
Jon Y. Y
I really liked Charlie Bone and the Beast. The book had adventure, mystery, and suspense. I have read the series up to the end of this book. The main character is Charlie Bone, a brave, adventurous, and kind person. Charlie Bone, with the endowment of a picture traveler who goes to find a beast-boy named Asa Pike. Asa is locked up somewhere by the Bloors, forcing his parents to go look for something the Bloors want. The Bloors are endowed people who own an academy for endowed children, such as...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Cana Rensberger for TeensReadToo.com

In Ms. Nimmo's sixth book in the series featuring Charlie Bone, a kettle of trouble is brewing. Charlie and his friends once again lead the reader on a breathtaking adventure through the world of Bloor's Academy.

Student Symmes
Spuddie
Read by Simon Jones. #6 in the Children of the Red King YA fantasy series. This book is read by a different reader than the previous five, and I'll start off by saying I did not enjoy his reading as much--too many of his varied voices sounded alike, and unlike with the previous reader, you couldn't always tell who was speaking just by the voice. The voices of individual persons also varied a little each time they spoke, as though he'd forgotten who he was.

Still, I enjoyed the story itself, as t...more
G
Although it is called 'The Wilderness Wolf', the book does not revolve around the Wilderness Wolf. It is a bit of this, a bit of that, making into a story. A new boy joined the side of Manfred Bloor, a boy who drowns people. And oh, two boys in the book have girlfriends already. How old are they, twelve? It sure makes them more mature with a girlfriend by their side, don't they? The plot is messier than usual, I got lost several times.

I want to stress that there are too many characters for a bo...more
tazer the ninja fish
There's only one reason I'm writing a review on only this book and the first. This is where I dropped the series. I STRUGGLED to continue reading through the series, but here, I couldn't take it anymore. The SAME basic things happened in each book, with different characters, and not much alteration. When I read Magic Tree House years ago, I loved it. And the same thing happened in each book, in essence. The writing in this series was not good. The first book being the exception. That was pretty...more
Daniel Figueroa
I really enjoyed Charlie Bone and the Beast. The book had more adventure, mystery, and suspenseful parts. The main character is Charlie Bone, a brave, adventurous, and kind person. Charlie Bone, with the endowment of a picture traveler who goes to find a beast-boy named Asa Pike. Asa is locked up somewhere by the Bloors, forcing his parents to go look for something the Bloors want. The Bloors are endowed people who own an academy for endowed children, such as Charlie. Asa's parents try to find A...more
Karen
After a rocky start, I am starting to fall in with this series of books.

It is not as complex as the Harry Potter books -- not the writing or the characters, but the author has managed to create a few intriguing characters, Charlie Bone not being one of them.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars.
Kristen
Dagobert is a particularly interesting character. He comes off immediately as clever and unprincipled, and this, we know, does not spell FUN for Charlie. Charlie is given the unfortunate task of introducing Dagobert to Bloor's Academy, and Dagobert responds to this kindness by making snide remarks to all of Charlie's friends, alienating him from some people. That Charlie is upset by his friends’ lack of faith in him is demonstrative of a normal twelve-year-old, and it's nice to see that Charlie...more
Staci
Jared and Noah have listened to all of the previous Charlie Bone books on CD and have loved them. The library doesn't have an audio version of this book, so I'm reading it aloud to them. It's been interesting so far, and I love how the boys will fill me in on details from the other books. My voice work isn't as captivating as the person who does it on the CD's, but the boys are patient with me, and they imagine the voices in their heads as I read. It's an interesting story so far. . .

And I enjoy...more
Caitlyn
Mar 25, 2008 Caitlyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery readers, series readers
This book is a continuation of the series, Charlie Bone. I thought that this book was a great extension of the series, and really is a captivating read.

Charlie Bone is faced with new troubles as a new endowed student is introduced to Bloor's Academy. This new student, Dagbert Endless, puts pressure on Charlie's long-term friendships and creates havoc in the town.

However, something else is bothering Charlie. Asa Pike, the werewolf, is discovered to be missing, and the adventure begins as the se...more
Cassandra
This is better again than it's predecessors. Charlie Bone and the Wilderness Wolf incorporates another new character - Dagbert-the-Drowner. He is on the bad side at first, but seems not as evil as the others...
Scott Wright
This was probably my least favorite of this series. The story really was rather slow in this one. I did like the kids growing in their powers though. I was really pissed off though that Charlie won't tell any of his friends or close adults about the Bloors living in the forest, yet is happy to tell a new kid that he doesn't even like. And not only tell him the girl and her talent, but how they got there, why they are there and who this girl's father is! That's really why I rated it low.
Also we h...more
Stacy
Not too happy with this book. I really think the series should have ended after book 5. It felt like all, or most, of the loose ends were tied up, and now it just seems to be dragging on.
ITS AWESOME 4 24 Oct 18, 2013 07:14AM
Charlie Bone RP: Charlie Bone and the Beast Discussion 1 1 Jan 28, 2013 12:18PM
  • The Cobra King of Kathmandu (Children of the Lamp, #3)
  • The Travelers: Book Two (Pendragon: Before the War)
  • The Monsters of Otherness (Erec Rex, #2)
  • The Pilgrims of Rayne (Pendragon, #8)
  • The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3)
  • Leven Thumps and the Ruins of Alder (Leven Thumps, #5)
  • The Travelers (Pendragon: Before the War, #1)
  • Back To The Divide (The Divide, #2)
  • Lady Friday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #5)
  • Queste (Septimus Heap, #4)
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)
  • The Nixie's Song (Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)
  • The Time Thief (The Gideon Trilogy, #2)
Jenny Nimmo was born in Windsor, Berkshire, England and educated at boarding schools in Kent and Surrey from the age of six until the age of sixteen, when she ran away from school to become a drama student/assistant stage manager with Theater South East. She graduated and acted in repertory theater in various towns and cities: Eastbourne, Tunbridge Wells, Brighton, Hastings, and Bexhill.

She left...more
More about Jenny Nimmo...
Midnight for Charlie Bone (The Children of the Red King, #1) Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors (The Children of the Red King, #4) Charlie Bone and the Hidden King (The Children of the Red King, #5) Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3) Charlie Bone and the Time Twister (The Children of the Red King, #2)