Start by marking “Clockwork Tangerine” as Want to Read:
Clockwork Tangerine

Clockwork Tangerine

The British Empire reigns supreme, and its young Queen Victoria has expanded her realm to St. Francisco, a bustling city of English lords and Chinese ghettos. St. Francisco is a jewel in the Empire’s crown and as deeply embroiled in the conflict between the Arcane and Science as its sister city, London—a very dark and dangerous battle.

Marcus Stenhill, Viscount of Westwood,
Published February 20th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press (first published February 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Clockwork Tangerine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clockwork Tangerine

Ingela
Written April 4, 2014

3.4 Stars - very sweet and romantic but there was a
it's over before it started feeling

An historical steampunk by Rhys Ford, a new author for me, sounded as a great choice for a buddyread with the lovely ladies. We got a quick read quite fun 100 pages book.

~ Not the best, but good enough. ~

St. Francisco is a jewel in the Empire’s crown (the Brittish Empire) and one night stumbles our noble hero, Marcus Stenhill, Viscount of Westwood upon darkness when he encounters a
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This was my first Rhys Ford book.

General observations: excellent writing and rich world building, perhaps too rich for a 90-page novella. The story got mired in the details.

This is steampunk meets prim & proper Victorian England meets historical San Francisco. I was disappointed that this revisionist history was chockfull of homophobia. After all, if we rewrite history, we can leave out the ugly, can't we?

The narrative skips days and weeks, so the relationship development happens mostly o
SheReadsALot
BMB Reviews December Author of the Month

3.75 stars--My first Rhys Ford.

And? I liked it. The writing is pretty good. This was Steampunk with a Victorian England background. The world had a little bit of arcane mixed with industrialization. Twas good.

I enjoyed the main characters. I got my favorite 3 B's: big, brawny and blond in Marcus, Viscount Westwood - pugilist, noble and gay. And he automatically falls for a man getting beaten by a bunch of thugs in an alley. And did I mention, the man wh
MishyJo
Jul 14, 2014 MishyJo rated it really liked it
Recommended to MishyJo by: Ann
This is my first foray into the steampunk genre and Rhys Ford made it easy and painless.

I loved Marcus for the fact that he didn’t judge Robin based on his reputation and didn't accept that rumors about him were true. I loved that Robin never gave up on helping people despite the way he had been used and mistreated. Each always assumed that they would never find love but then fate brought them together.

Beyond that, I think Ann’s review says it all perfectly. So to Ann I say, "Ditto."
Ann
DAMN - that was fun! I wanted this to be at least 10 times as long.

I’m a super picky pain in the ass when it comes to fantasy, sci-fi and steampunk. Not because I know much, but because I know what I need to make these genres completely work for me. And when I find the flavor of these genres I love, I want more, more, more! Then, after that, I want some more.

I just finished Clockwork Tangerine and damn I want some more. This was the flavor I love. I love when a story doesn’t take itself too se
Lori
Nov 24, 2014 Lori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bmbr-reads
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this steam punk story from Rhys Ford. I loved the AU Victorian era London Rhys created, the imagery in her writing is so sharp, it's really easy to imagine the thick pea-soupers and dirty streets of the time in question.

Robin was brilliantly eccentric, with his inventions and brilliant mind. I appreciated the way Rhys explored the feelings of guilt that he harboured at the misuse of his ideas and inventions and the Heretic Society's actions, even though he was not in
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
December's AotM at BMBR and…

My First Rhys Ford!

Pretty successful, I think. I like steampunk but some of the unicorns were not as keen. I quite liked all the gadgets and whatnot that Robin developed and how engrossed he could become.
description

Let's face it anything that mentions the ton stands a good chance of me liking it. As I said in our chat I think Ms. Ford has a unique voice. I like the way she uses language to conjure imagery. With only 6 chapters to work with she did an amazing job of building a s
Jenni Lea
Nov 22, 2014 Jenni Lea rated it really liked it
Shelves: bmbr

Gonna read this tomorrow so us unicorns over at BMBR can chat about it for our December Happy Hour chat.
Lauraadriana
Rhys does steampunk…And she does it well. It is hard to believe Rhys Ford hadn’t dabbled in this genre yet. Her mind is so creative and her writing so vivid. Her style just seems like a match made in heaven for this genre. In this story she takes us to her beloved Bay Area. San Francisco, actually, St. Francisco. We go to the city when it was part of the British Commonwealth. She takes us right into the thick of things, Little Orient, where our heroes have their fateful meeting. From the get go ...more
CrabbyPatty
Rhys Ford and steampunk - what a delicious combination! Ford has created an alternate universe where the sun truly never sets on the British Empire, as Queen Victoria's realm includes St. (not San) Francisco. The title is based on the cockney phrase "clockwork orange" meaning something bizarre, which appears normal on the surface, while the novella plays on the idea of assumptions made about a person, only to realize those assumptions are incorrect and what is below the surface is much more than ...more
Macky
4.5 rounded up.

How would you feel and how would you react if you came across a man being beaten senseless by four young bucks only to find after you'd rescued him that you'd actually saved the person who almost brought your Queens Empire to its knees with his mad inventions. The very man also responsible for the death of your father?

That's the dilemma for Marcus Stenhill or given his true title, Viscount Westwood... third son of a Duke but a man more comfortable in the boxing ring than in fi
Adam
In a world where the Victorian British Empire extends to San Francisco and magic and science uneasily exist side-by-side, Marcus Stenhill, the Viscount of Westwood, lives a lonely existence. A member of the high aristocracy, Marcus suppresses his attraction to men and tries to be the upstanding man his family expects him to be.

When Marcus saves a man in a dark alley from his attackers, Marcus is immediately aware of the man’s beauty. But when he discovers that the person he rescued is Robin Harr
Izzy
Jan 21, 2014 Izzy rated it it was amazing
First of all, the title ‘Clockwork Tangerine’ feels to me like a lovely combination of ‘Tangerine Dream’ and ‘Clockwork Orange’ and that intrigued me from the offset. This short tale is set in an Alternative or Altered Universe where Britain and the Commonwealth really do ‘rule the waves’ and San Francisco is part of that Commonwealth. Written with a nod towards Phillip K Dick’s ‘Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep’ which was also set in San Francisco. The skies are filled with the ‘bloated ...more
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
*3.5*

You'll have to suspend your disbelief a bit to enjoy this. People here are too lenient, unbelievably so. I've done that and the story is pretty good.
I have a weakness for damaged, poor and wronged silent types and Robin Harris fits that description. I couldn't help but compare these two with Lucien Vaudrey and Stephen Day (if you don't know who these two are - go and read The Magpie Lord right now!).

After Marcus Stenhill, Viscount of Westwood, saves him from thugs and nurses him to health f
JR
Feb 22, 2014 JR rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: steampunk addicts
Well what can I say. This was a wonderful, intriguing steam punk, all too short read.

Robin Harris is the "toymaker" used, abused inventor who's work has been subverted to destroy rather than help society. Robin is befriended by Viscount Marcus Stenhill, who rescues him from a vicious beating.

This is a fun story, dealing with love and trust. I give it a pocket full of stars.
Bev
Enjoyed this story of Marcus and Robin, but it was so short, the story had almost stopped before it started. Would have loved a longer read.
Thanks to the Ladies Quartette for the buddy read, Mwah!! 3.5 rounded up to 4 stars.
Audrey
Dec 11, 2014 Audrey rated it really liked it
4+ stars. I'm done, and it was awesomesauce. A lovely little m/m romance novelette dressed up in steampunk finery. Oh, and I wanted to wrap Robin up in hugs and squishes - he was adorable! Recommended.
Christy Duke
There was a lot, and I mean, a lot, of jumping up and down, squealing, Kermit-like flailing, and overwhelming giddiness when I discovered that Rhys Ford was releasing a steampunk short story. Having only recently found the steampunk genre within the past few years, the concept that one of my top five favorite authors wrote one, was almost more than my heart could handle. Trust me when I say that in my exuberance I scared a number of my four legged kids and they hid from me for a whole day. ...more
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
5 Stars ~ KAPOW!
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

NOTE : We were given an arc in return for an honest review, and honestly? The book was freaking awesome!!

I don’t think it’s any secret I’m a HUGE fan of this author. I also love steampunk. So, I was thrilled when I heard she was writing this story. From the first page I was transported into the world she created. There were so many details that painted the picture vividly for me. I loved this. I wanted more.

I think part of what I loved abo
Grammy 1
Feb 21, 2014 Grammy 1 rated it it was amazing
Who woudda thunk I would love steam punk? It is one genre I have not really read much of, although the subject and genre is talked about by other readers I know. It took two of my favorite authors to dabble a bit and introduce me into a new phase of enjoyment! Amy Lane and now Rhys Ford’s talents seem to know no boundaries. Every book I pick up of Ms Lane and Ms Ford works like Calgon for me and ‘takes me away’….Isn’t that what reading is all about?

The only negative thing I can say about Clockwo
Katie
Soooo, this was my first Steampunk book.

Also, it's been sitting on my To-Read-New-On-Deck pile for months. Months!

I put it off because...sometimes I'm an idiot? Sometimes I'm a little fearful of the unknown? Yes and yes, okay?

I bought it because...Rhys Ford! Of course, there's no question that I'll eventually read all her books 'cause I kinda worship her and her talent with words and world-building. She never ceases to amaze me--even when her stories take me to creepyplaces and scare the bejeezu
Katharina
Feb 28, 2014 Katharina rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, history
Clockwork Tangerine is a really lovely steampunk story, very low on angst and conflict and strictly focused on the romance between Marcus and Robin. There's no suspense, no big problem that arises - in fact everything is almost a little bit too easy. But how nice to read a story like that after all the heavy, suspense-filled books I've chosen for my last reads.

I really like Rhys Ford's writing - it's accomplished, but never over-the-top and it creates a beautiful imagery of the world it describe
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

CLOCKWORK TANGERINE may be novella sized but it still packs quite a punch with its vivid imagery and unique worldbuilding. Steampunk to the extreme, readers will get a heavy dose of Rhys Ford’s imagination with this story!

Marcus, the Viscount of Westwood, encounters a beating occurring on the streets of St. Francisco. As his duty, he intervenes, scaring off the young bloods and helps the poor man who has been so injured, he can barely walk. It isn’t until later that he discovers the m
Karen
Apr 20, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mm
Let me start by saying I love Rhys Ford. I've read all of her Cole McGinnis series and Sinner's Gin (except for Tequila Mockingbird, which I will be remedying soon). What I have not ventured into is the world of Steampunk. It has frequently piqued my curiosity and I have perused numerous books in this genre but until now I have managed to step away from them so this was my first venture into the world of Steampunk and I was fascinated.

Ms Ford has created a setting and characters that have total
DaisyGirl
Apr 15, 2014 DaisyGirl rated it really liked it
4.0 Stars

Have I mentioned that I love Ryhs Ford's work? (Plus, she's a local girl from my home State, Hawaii!)

Clockwork Tangerine is yet another example of why I'm such a fan. This is a sweet steampunk story about Marcus Stenhill and Robin Harris. Marcus is the powerful Viscount of Westwood while Robin is considered a pariah by most of the community. Happily, Marcus sees past society's unfair judgement to the innocent and generous soul within.

Both Marcus and Robin were loveable characters. I im
Leanne

Awesome world-building and a spellbinding first half but the story moved all too quickly into a sweet but largely conflict-free romance. I'd have loved for this to have been longer - the world Rhys Ford created was beautifully described, the main characters well drawn and there was great potential for a really fantastic read but it fell a bit short for me.
Still hugely enjoyable though.
FV Angela
Review originally posted at http://fictionvixen.com/review-clockw...

When Marcus Stenhill, Viscount of Westwood, comes across a man being beaten by a group of young, bored aristocrats in a back alley of St. Fransisco he immediately steps in and comes to the rescue. It’s not until he’s left holding the badly concussed man that he realizes the victim is none other than Robin Harris, the Toymaker, the genius responsible for almost causing the downfall of the British Empire with a combination of magi
Marlene
Jul 05, 2014 Marlene rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

I was hoping that Rhys Ford had another Hellsinger book Duck Duck Ghostout. Even though I was disappointed in that search (until this Fall when every anticipated book in the universe will be released) I found this little steampunk gem, and decided to give it a try. I love Ford’s urban fantasy Black Dog Blues (want more) so the steampunk alternative seemed like a good idea.

It was.

The story takes place in an alternate Victorian era where Charles Babbage seems
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This review can be found at The Blogger Girls review site.

Marcus Stenhill, Viscount of Westwood, is on his way home with tea for his grandmother when he stumbles upon a man getting beat up. Chasing off the ruffians, he has every intention of helping the man who can’t even stay conscious. What Marcus didn’t realize is the guy he saved, Robin Harris, is the very person who created the machine that killed his father. With mixed feelings, Marcus still helps Robin because it’s the right thing to do.
Ami

Rhys Ford is more well-known with her contemporary romance, I believe this is the first time she does steampunk. I know that Ms. Ford has her fans and most of my friends love her writing. I read two of Ford's but I fell out of that series and have no intention to pick it up back. Since then, I never read anything by hers again, because none of her other books seem to appeal to me.

Since April 2014 is my Steampunk/Romance theme -- my intention is with Non M/M but I hit a bump with those -
Dreamspinner Press: Clockwork Tangerine by Rhys Ford 1 16 Feb 21, 2014 01:50AM
  • Butterflies (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #2)
  • Steamed Up
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Boots for the Gentleman (Steamcraft and Sorcery Book 1)
  • Thick as Thieves (Thick as Thieves, #1)
  • Death by Silver
  • Stitch (Gothika #1)
  • Bitter Rednesses of Love
  • Under the Rushes
  • Clockwork Heart (Clockwork Love, #1)
  • Noble Metals (Metals, #1)
  • Wings of Equity
  • Broken Phoenix
  • Prosperity (Prosperity, #1)
  • Highfell Grimoires
  • Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales #1)
Rhys Ford is an award-winning author with several long-running LGBT+ mystery, thriller, paranormal, and urban fantasy series and was a 2016 LAMBDA finalist with her novel, Murder and Mayhem. She is published by Dreamspinner Press and DSP Publications.

She’s also quite skeptical about bios without a dash of something personal and really, who doesn’t mention their cats, dog and cars in a bio? She sha
More about Rhys Ford...

“I… have an unnatural fondness for him, Duchess. One might even say that I love him. As a man should love a woman, really.”
“Well, I would imagine the mechanics of that would be different.”
3 likes
“A man with power protects and serves those lesser than he. It is only the weak who use their power to do harm.” 1 likes